Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Almac06

Forget about the lost week, think of it as a weeks rest/recovery. Just be positive now this week (& on the day), as 26.2 miles is tough enough without being negative and worrying about things too much.

Cheers Rebelrunner, advice makes sense it just needs to be heard. Damn those running demons anyway. Just over a week to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Quick question,
    I missed the guts if a weeks training due to one or two little niggles i had pciked up...
    I ran last sat "5" and last sun "10 miles" but didn't run all week until today "8 mile"..found it tricky enough to be honest and took me a while to get into the rythm..but will missing a weeks training have a negative effect on me?

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Well folks, one week and countiing. Just wondering how the last LSR and last weeksnds PMP runs went. How are ye feeling Cindyss and Bez Bing.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

4 stars (good)
    Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Well folks, one week and countiing. Just wondering how the last LSR and last weeksnds PMP runs went. How are ye feeling Cindyss and Bez Bing.

Hey Moycullen, Im feeling good, had a problem in my calf which seems to have cleared up (although I did feel it a little on a hill during my long run this weekend) Still not sure what pace to go at, most of my long training runs have been circa 8:30, I don't seem to know the meaning of a long SLOW run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Latest weather forecasts:

Weather.com - Average high 13 deg, windy, partially cloudy, winds W @ 34 km/h
    http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/EIXX0014?dayNum=7

Accuweather.com - Average high 12 deg, cloudy, Realfeel 9 deg, winds W @ 14 km/h
    http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/ie/dublin/dublin/details8.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

4 stars (good)
    Latest weather forecasts:

Weather.com - Average high 13 deg, windy, partially cloudy, winds W @ 34 km/h
    http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/EIXX0014?dayNum=7

Accuweather.com - Average high 12 deg, cloudy, Realfeel 9 deg, winds W @ 14 km/h
    http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/ie/dublin/dublin/details8.aspx

Temperature.... Perfect, Wind.... NOT Perfect....

Ran the last 8 miles yesterday morning, from Milltown to Merrion Sq, and conditions were fantastic. Only 7c starting at 8:20am, Forgot about that hill up to Fosters Ave, easy yesterday but different when you have done 20 miles.

The mile markers are in place already (road painted ones), didnt see any KM markers...

7 days, Bring it on...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Yeah, all the 'expect delays' signs are up around the place too

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

3 stars (average)
    Hi Moycullen,

Thanks for asking, I am feeling really good, apart from waking up at 3am this morning and not being able to go back to sleep. I did my last serious run yesterday 8 miles 7 good fast miles and a nice warm down mile, a week of shorter runs with some strides called for. The Cork to Cobh race finished in 2hrs 30 secs running well within myself ha made up my mind to go with the 3.45 pacers, Hopefully on the day it will be the right decision, if I feel off on the day I will start with the 4hr group.
    Up to Dublin on Saturday and get my number and chill on Sunday please god. Iteresting looking at long range weather forecast it does not look too bad, once there is no huge wind we should be ok.
    Good luck in the last week, Gary

4 stars (good)
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Temperature.... Perfect, Wind.... NOT Perfect....

Ran the last 8 miles yesterday morning, from Milltown to Merrion Sq, and conditions were fantastic. Only 7c starting at 8:20am, Forgot about that hill up to Fosters Ave, easy yesterday but different when you have done 20 miles.

The mile markers are in place already (road painted ones), didnt see any KM markers...

7 days, Bring it on...

The winds always seem to be in the face for the Crumlin road so no change there.
    It's actually a pretty fair course from after the hill in Milltown to the finish, the run down Fosters Ave can be more painful than the uphill before hand though, as you said it's all to do with the 20/21 miles done to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

4 stars (good)
    Also there is a slight drag up Clonskeagh road, however what compounds this is the fact that you are running AWAY from town, and the finish line. Also the cramps should have set in by then, making life a little more interesting...

Change my post above to "Bring on the Suffering"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

3 stars (average)
    MisterDrak wrote: »
    Also there is a slight drag up Clonskeagh road, however what compounds this is the fact that you are running AWAY from town, and the finish line.
    Change my post above to "Bring on the Suffering"...

That's a slow steady climb its a killer, the only thing is you know when you hit the top of fosters ave its down hill to the N11.

Has anyone dared check the 7 day forecast? We were really spoiled last year and 2008 wasn't bad either. Fingers crossed anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    The winds always seem to be in the face for the Crumlin road so no change there.
    It's actually a pretty fair course from after the hill in Milltown to the finish, the run down Fosters Ave can be more painful than the uphill before hand though, as you said it's all to do with the 20/21 miles done to there.

Not sure about that, it was not the drop but the climb up to Fosters Avenue that cost me my sub-3 finish 2 years ago, which is why it has replaced Crumlin Road as my most disliked part of the marathon course.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Still not sure what pace to go at, most of my long training runs have been circa 8:30, I don't seem to know the meaning of a long SLOW run!

8:30 is a good training run pace. If all you did was achieve this on the day you would end up with a very good 3:45 and if you managed to shave 30 seconds off that........... well you know what that would give you!! Anything between 3:30 and 4hrs would be a great run. With a bit of freshness on the day you might just find the 3:45 pace very comfortable. Be wary of the adrenaline rush at the start though. The atmosphere and the whole emotional rush you get from arriving at the start after months of training can be very powerful and in some cases very deceiving. Keep an eye on you watch to make sure you don't get carried away.
    Cindyss wrote: »
    Hi Moycullen,

The Cork to Cobh race finished in 2hrs 30 secs running well within myself ha made up my mind to go with the 3.45 pacers, Hopefully on the day it will be the right decision, if I feel off on the day I will start with the 4hr group.
    Up to Dublin on Saturday and get my number and chill on Sunday please god. Iteresting looking at long range weather forecast it does not look too bad, once there is no huge wind we should be ok.
    Good luck in the last week, Gary

Good luck with that. Its nice to have a definite plan. Four weeks ago I was looking forward to running most if not all of it with the 3:30 pacers but a cold has put paid to that. In saying that maybe the rest might work in my favour. I'm just going to have to wait and see how I feel on the day. Fingers crossed on the weather. Last year was lovely. Hopefully this year will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

3 stars (average)
    The rest will be no harm either, dosing myself up on Berocca boost for the last week, just need to sleep for this week and it will be all system go.
    The best of luck with your health and your day, a nice cool day would be great,
    Gary

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    Has anyone dared check the 7 day forecast? We were really spoiled last year and 2008 wasn't bad either. Fingers crossed anyway...

Not looking too bad at the moment:

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Dublin/forecasts/latest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

3 stars (average)
    Has anyone watched the time lapse video ?
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/general_course.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I did a 13M run yesterday, taking in part of the route from the park to the KCR and the wind is still there on the Crumlin road. It was the hardest part of the run yesterday to keep constant pace.

4 stars (good)
    Aimman wrote: »
    I did a 13M run yesterday, taking in part of the route from the park to the KCR and the wind is still there on the Crumlin road. It was the hardest part of the run yesterday to keep constant pace.

Must start a petition for Harney to have the childrens hospital wall raised by 10 feet.
    It can be considered her gesture to the people of this country trying to get healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

3 stars (average)
    robinph wrote: »

Fingers crossed, it's my third marathon & I was kind of hoping it wouldn't lash rain for the full 26 miles like the other two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    This one, on the other hand, would have us standing there freezing our collective ****** off.

I remember one really cold start. Was it 2008? We were standing there at the start line huddled together like penguins, willing the starting gun to go off sooner.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    This one, on the other hand, would have us standing there freezing our collective ****** off.

I remember one really cold start. Was it 2008? We were standing there at the start line huddled together like penguins, willing the starting gun to go off sooner.

My better half has a picture of me with blue lips at the start line, 2008 it was indeed.
    I had a hat, gloves and jacket on and was still frozen, can't imagine the singlet wearing people.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    2008 wasn't that cold. Just remember to wear your bin bag, and not be shy about sharing body heat with the person jammed in next to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Heard a great marathon story last night.

In the recent Galway City Marathon, Sonia O'Sullivan was running in the relay event. Approaching the handover point in Eyre Square, the crowd saw her and moved out onto the course to get a better look as she approached, and about 40 people are shouting "Sonia, Sonia ".

Of course in the midst of all this was the poor bloke who she was supposed to hand the baton too ! She missed him and just kept going :eek:

She is only about 10 yards ahead of him so he takes off after her. Unfortunately he is a little bit less experienced than her, so he was never able to catch her, and could only watch as she ran off into the distance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    robinph wrote: »
    ............... and not be shy about sharing body heat with the person jammed in next to you.
    ...Hmmm......still thinking about that lovely creature in green lycra that I came across, about 14 miles, during the 1998 DCM!

Edit: I left this page open (duh!) and Mrs C. saw the post. Never realised that she knew my moniker!
    ...dog house....move over Fido!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mouse42

<Mod edit> No medical advice allowed <Mod edit>
    Go see a physio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    opus wrote: »
    Fingers crossed, it's my third marathon & I was kind of hoping it wouldn't lash rain for the full 26 miles like the other two :)

That's you & me both!

On the laws of averages, the weather for DCM should be a shocker, but it's looking promising so far*

*edit: trust no weather forecast unti three days out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

4 stars (good)
    Novice marathoner and I am thinking of putting my name on my running top but I am not sure if it's a good idea or not. It might get annoying people shouting your name all the time e.g. "Come on Birroc, get the finger out!" etc

What do ye think?

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    On the laws of averages, the weather for DCM should be a shocker, but it's looking promising so far*

*edit: trust no weather forecast unti three days out
    This will be my 16th Dublin (1985-1998, 2003) and it's been dry for all of them to date! Fingers crossed & touching wood, etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

yr.no is giving 10 degrees, partly cloudy with a light north westerly - couldn't hope for better!! But a week out it's probably still too much to hope for...

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Birroc wrote: »
    Novice marathoner and I am thinking of putting my name on my running top but I am not sure if it's a good idea or not. It might get annoying people shouting your name all the time e.g. "Come on Birroc, get the finger out!" etc

What do ye think?
    I haven't run Dublin for several years but I've supported people there instead. More and more people are putting their names on their tops and I've seen people who were flagging a bit, being revived simply by their name being called. Among other places, I've been at the 23 mile are for the past few years and anyone with their names up gets a great call from the crowd along there. (However if you're one of those who wear headphones, don't bother with the name - you simply won't hear.)

Go for it! Anyway, I'm putting my name on, for the first time ever. Might even get the spelling of Condor right for once. :rolleyes: LOL Probably not, seeing as that's not what'll be on the singlet! :rolleyes:

Advertisement