Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

Guys, anyone any idea what happened the the Setanta coverage last night?

I watch the 30 minute show earlier in the week, saw the elites, it was grand....
    waited eagerly for the extended 1 hr show scheduled for last night. Recorded it on the ol' DVR. Skipped quickly through the first 30 minutes as it was the same show as earlier in the week.
    Got to 30 minutes in - end of the show! next 30 minutes on the DVR were recorded - still titled Dublin Marathon - but was some soccer goals show!

Not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    Dunno about last night - I forgot about it - sounds like I didn't miss much. There is a repeat showing on Sat morning. Hopefully they put the wrong tape up last night and will get it right next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Great report tunguska , crackin result despite all the misfortunes , your perfect marathon is yet to come , onwards and upwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)
    Hey Tunguska! That's some target you've set for my brother in New York :)
    Well done.

Cheers, thanks for the tag aswell. He's keeping his cards very close to his chest(nothing new there)but he's in good shape and quietly I think he's gonna do a great time. Although he did buy a gel belt at the expo on saturday, which for a hard man like him, is a worrying development. He could be going soft:)

4 stars (good)
    Seres wrote: »
    Great report tunguska , crackin result despite all the misfortunes , your perfect marathon is yet to come , onwards and upwards :)

Thanks Seres, Im looing forward to next year already. As are you I hope, your marathon debut.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

tunguska wrote: »
    Thanks Seres, Im looing forward to next year already. As are you I hope, your marathon debut.........

for me there has to be some sort of progression to get to do a marathon like doing a half first and considering i cant even get to the start line of one i feel the marathon goal is way off , have to stop reading these threads , gets my adrenaline going which doesnt seem to be a good idea for someone suppose to be in recovery mode , now setting my targets on a half in spring maybe since waterford is out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

4 stars (good)
    great report tungsta. inspiring. well done.

the lad in teh gaa shorts and the 1.5litre of water. tell us more. was he part of the race or just joined in. sounds funny. where else but dub. howya boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Seres wrote: »
    now setting my targets on a half in spring maybe since waterford is out :(

If you were considering Waterford because the South-east is handy for you check out http://www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com/ on May 22nd.
    This year it was my first ever half. I followed it up with the one in Enniscorthy in June and one in Oylegate in August and they proved to be excellent prep for my first full last Monday.

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

4 stars (good)
    great report tunguska, finishing with a pb while hobbled and taking pit stops is a happy place to be. I'm off to paddy powers to place some money on you for a 2:35 next year.

(p.s. watch that achilles, I'll lose money if you ignore it).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 stars (good)
    tunguska wrote: »
    Cheers, next year will be a belter. Im afraid it will be a years wait but you'll appreciate it more when next time eventually comes around. You should try the one per year strategy, see what happens......

Maybe between Dublin 2011 and some Autumn marathon 2012 I won't run any others between. Just to test out your theory. Technically I don't race marathons anyway so running 4 a year doesn't count!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

4 stars (good)
    As we turned onto Dorset street some lad in a pair of GAA shorts and a big red cotton t-shirt came up alongside me, carrying a big 1.5 litre bottle of water in his hand???? He said to me: How ya boss.........and then proceeded to fall over a traffic island, hitting the bricks like a sack of spuds, arms and legs everywhere, water bottle went flying. He got back up, grabbed the water bottle and sprinted after the rest of us. Jaysus that'd wake ye up! He says to me, before tearing up the road after the the lads doing 5:30/mile.......passed him 2 miles later and he was keeled over at the side of the road, big red face on him, getting medical assistance.

That has just brightened up my afternoon, Classic.

As for your race report tunguska, excellent stuff, really brought monday back into sharp focus. Reading reports like that really make me want to get out there and improve all I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Setanta will be showing the correct program today at 5.30 to make up for the error yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Setanta will be showing the correct program today at 5.30 to make up for the error yesterday.

Great was wondering what was going on yesterday when they told me to tune in on Thursday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Featuring, if I'm not mistaken, some beautifully recorded footage from head cams worn by certain pace team members. But one of whom might miss the programme because he's out on a date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Peckham wrote: »
    Featuring, if I'm not mistaken, some beautifully recorded footage from head cams worn by certain pace team members. But one of whom might miss the programme because he's out on a date.
    Still wearing the head cam??:D

4 stars (good)
    mrak wrote: »
    great report tunguska, finishing with a pb while hobbled and taking pit stops is a happy place to be. I'm off to paddy powers to place some money on you for a 2:35 next year.

(p.s. watch that achilles, I'll lose money if you ignore it).

Thanks Mark. Sparks will fly next year for sure. Dont worry about the achilles, its being well looked after, learned some hard lessons this year about coming back from injury too soon. The legs are being well rested, they never had it so good, 4 full days without any running.......they think its christmas!
    What about yourself, youve been very quiet of late. 32minute 10k in april?

great report tungsta. inspiring. well done.

the lad in teh gaa shorts and the 1.5litre of water. tell us more. was he part of the race or just joined in. sounds funny. where else but dub. howya boss.

Thats all I saw of him, he's probably on a drip in james' judging by the jock was in when I came across him the second time. He's a legend whoever he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)

I'm guessing you mean Setanta Ireland which is showing a Tough Guy race at the moment.

Any chance they can clear up when they will be showing it in the near future? Would like to see the programme. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

4 stars (good)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    I'm guessing you mean Setanta Ireland which is showing a Tough Guy race at the moment.

Any chance they can clear up when they will be showing it in the near future? Would like to see the programme. Thanks

It's on now, on Setanta Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

4 stars (good)
    Just read Tunguska's race report a really good read so envious of your times even with the pitstop/problems, jammy fecker:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

He is a bit of a hypocrite tbh:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2007/1215/1197543944612.html
    That's what is wrong with the Negril marathon in Jamaica and most other town and city marathons around the world. This once great distance, made sacred by Philippides and Spiridon Louis and made famous by Emil Zatopek and Abebe Bikila, is now a phoney test of endurance, an achievement fraud. It doesn't matter anymore if you run under three hours or over six hours, but it's nice to say you ran quicker than Katie Holmes.

The marathon was never intended as a fun run, but that's what places like Negril have turned it into. Maybe there's no harm in that and who cares how long it takes when we can all share fresh coconut milk at the finish before moving on to the rum and Cokes.
    But there's a big difference between finishing a marathon and running it, and Negril really proved that. The line between the two has somehow been blurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    I liked this bit:
    wrote:
    Even if it was just for one day, to witness so many people intoxicated by endorphins – rather than alcohol – was a welcome relief from the frightening tales of budget cutbacks, crumbling house prices, etc. Perhaps marathon running is the secret to turning this country around. It certainly made my week, refreshed my ambitions and hope for the future, and I didn’t even run the thing.

He should have came into keoghs at about 11pm last monday before making that point :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    copacetic wrote: »

+1,000,000 O'Riordan is a complete hypocrite, he's even more of a "fraud" than the "fun" runners he used to ridicule in that he has now written a book for them to make himself a few quid.

A joke of a journalist.
    I expect this to be censored by his fanboys on here as has happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

3 stars (average)
    I'm no great fan of O'Riordan. Far too often his articles are basically a reasonably well written summary of Letsrun's news. Although he used to run to a high level I think that the fact that his primary duty is as a GAA reporter shines through in the lack of insight and analysis in most of his articles.

All that said it's only fair to point out that in between the two articles cited he did write one where he talked about his being brought around to the value of running slower marathons. It could have been that his editor told to stop pretending that he was an American collegiate athlete but more likely it was because he had just run or was just about to run a marathon in over 3 hours.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that in this instance at least he is not a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 di75

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but a big thanks to all the pacers, especially the sub 4 guys I wouldn't have reached my goal without them. I was running my own race and started a bit behind the black balloons. Passed them out before halfway. The sub 4 group then passed me on Roebuck Road, and I was determined not to let them get more the a few meters ahead of me. Crossed the line in 3:58 :)
    I have to say, it's a pretty selfless thing to help complete strangers in something so tough. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

4 stars (good)
    Has anyone ever bought any marathon day photos from MarathonFoto? I got an email from them showing me at various stages of the marathon but when I go to click on the thumbnail it doesn't display the photo of me properly. Any feedback welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

4 stars (good)
    BarneyMc wrote: »
    Has anyone ever bought any marathon day photos from MarathonFoto? I got an email from them showing me at various stages of the marathon but when I go to click on the thumbnail it doesn't display the photo of me properly. Any feedback welcome.

I have. If you mean they only show you a low-quality image, the pictures are better quality when you buy them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)

If you just click on the thumbnail on the page with loads of shots of you on it won't show you a bigger picture. To see a bigger version click on the "Buy" button and then on the next page click on the thumbnail, not the other buttons below it, you will then get a popup with a larger version of the picture displayed. That window disappears after a few seconds, so if you are hitting print screen to grab it you'll need to be quick. ;)

If you actually buy the full versions of the pictures digitally they will be bigger than that again so suitable for actually printing out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

What browser are you using? I've found that they don't display correctly in Chrome, but when I use Internet Explorer they show up fine...

Bought from them last year, not cheap but a nice memento of my first marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3 stars (average)
    xebec wrote: »
    What browser are you using? I've found that they don't display correctly in Chrome, but when I use Internet Explorer they show up fine...
    I found that as well, with Chrome getting the alignment wrong so you could only see the top corner of the picture. If it is Chrome getting it wrong, or their messing about with invisible jpg's over the top of the image to try and stop people grabbing the pictures is another matter entirely.

Advertisement