Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013-2014 Off-season - Pre-season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Bartolo Calon to the Mets.
    2yr deal for 20 mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bartolo Calon to the Mets.
    2yr deal for 20 mill

I don't know how I feel about this. I know he had a good year but at that age he surely has to take a step back? Especially with 2 years.

At least they're spending money this off season which they haven't done since the Madoff issue. I just hope they haven't spent it on a load of busts!

Looks like home plate collisions will be banned next season. Catchers won't be allowed block the plate either.

Still needs ratification from the mlbpa but and as I love a home plate collision as much as the next person, it probably does make sense.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Looks like home plate collisions will be banned next season. Catchers won't be allowed block the plate either.

Still needs ratification from the mlbpa but and as I love a home plate collision as much as the next person, it probably does make sense.

Yeah this is a long time coming...

it WILL change the outcome of some games, but overall it's the right idea...

I don't know how I feel about this. I know he had a good year but at that age he surely has to take a step back? Especially with 2 years.

At least they're spending money this off season which they haven't done since the Madoff issue. I just hope they haven't spent it on a load of busts!

It's the Mets; everything they do is futile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Totally called this one by the way... :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87361134#post87361134

Poseys collision few seasons back was probably the worst I've seen.. The human body was designed to twist like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Poseys collision few seasons back was probably the worst I've seen.. The human body was designed to twist like that

It was horrific.....but partially because of poor technique by Posey.....when a catcher kneels to block the plate they're taught to have their leg to the side, not straight behind them......Posey has his straight behind which is why it had nowhere to go.

As for banning collosions, it's taken too long.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Never saw the point of being allowed charge home plate.

It's dangerous. We're not playing America Football. Tagging is much safer.

I feel the same about sliding 2nd base (mainly). A runner will go through the infielder, mostly from the back as the 2nd or SS will be receiving the ball from the outfield.

In football going through the back of someone is a sending off, and rightly so....I think back to Mark Ellis having his leg broken a few years back.

I don't want sliding banned, but I do want them to a little more measured and less aggressive. Clearly runners are looking to injure. Take the man and he won't catch it...

Never saw the point of being allowed charge home plate.

It's dangerous. We're not playing America Football. Tagging is much safer.

I feel the same about sliding 2nd base (mainly). A runner will go through the infielder, mostly from the back as the 2nd or SS will be receiving the ball from the outfield.

In football going through the back of someone is a sending off, and rightly so....I think back to Mark Ellis having his leg broken a few years back.

I don't want sliding banned, but I do want them to a little more measured and less aggressive. Clearly runners are looking to injure. Take the man and he won't catch it...

ehhhh.....

I think that's a bit off the mark.

The second baseman can always stand out of the way of the runner, but chooses not too... It's a standoff and a slide simply minimizes the target...

People do sometimes get hurt, but a LOT more people get hurt running into walls, etc. In fact the worst injuries I've personally seen are outfielders running into each other....

It's a tough tough sport, but... I don't think the rules for sliding need to be changed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think you see it more when it's a double play opportunity, not sliding to injure, but impede footing for the throw to first. As long as it's umpired correctly I have no issue with it, don't really see it as being on a par with charging homeplate.

Brandon Phillips is doing his best to destroy his reputation this off-season.....Reds ownership want rid of him because he publicly criticised them over his contract.

Reds and Yankees had a deal in place last night to swap Phillips and Brett Gardner, but Phillips refused to waive his no-trade clause unless the Yankees gave him a bigger contract.

Brandon Phillips is doing his best to destroy his reputation this off-season.....Reds ownership want rid of him because he publicly criticised them over his contract.

Reds and Yankees had a deal in place last night to swap Phillips and Brett Gardner, but Phillips refused to waive his no-trade clause unless the Yankees gave him a bigger contract.

Good!! His numbers have been very much in decline in the last few seasons.
    And id be worried about his integration in the team (heard rumours about his ego) and even at the yankees (A-Rod an example) that might cause problems in the locker room

Good!! His numbers have been very much in decline in the last few seasons.
    And id be worried about his integration in the team (heard rumours about his ego) and even at the yankees (A-Rod an example) that might cause problems in the locker room

they have been declining.....since any team interested is asking the Reds to eat some of the salary because he's making too much, I don't see how he expects to get a bigger contract.

I think $12.5 million per year for 4 years is pretty good for a declining player.

Worst part is that his antics are negatively effecting the Reds' efforts to re-sign Bronson Arroyo who told the GM last night that he doesn't know how much longer he can wait because the Phillips situation keeps going back and forth without signs of actaully getting anywhere.

Shock........Johnny Bench BenchBrockphoto.jpg

supports the ban on collosions.

Pete Rose aH9RkNyB.jpg

is against it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

8-10 wrote: »
    I think you see it more when it's a double play opportunity, not sliding to injure, but impede footing for the throw to first. As long as it's umpired correctly I have no issue with it, don't really see it as being on a par with charging homeplate.

I can see where both of you are coming from, and am kinda caught between both on the issue; can't really make up my mind.

Having said that, when I read your comments, a certain somebody sprang to mind - Mr. Ty Cobb, ladies and gentleman. He'd like a word! :D

Boone logan to the rockies
    3yr deal for 16 mill.

Little surprised the yankees let him go but that's a nice pay day for him

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10134537/omar-infante-kansas-city-royals-reach-four-year-deal

Only reason he didn't sign with the yankees is that they only offered him a 3yr deal.
    I like this move for the royals, its gonna help them contend and maybe turn a few heads.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10134537/omar-infante-kansas-city-royals-reach-four-year-deal

Only reason he didn't sign with the yankees is that they only offered him a 3yr deal.
    I like this move for the royals, its gonna help them contend and maybe turn a few heads.

This will also make the Yankees revisit the Brandon Phillips offer that they turned down last week.....with Infante off the market, there's not much by way of 2nd basemen available.

This will also make the Yankees revisit the Brandon Phillips offer that they turned down last week.....with Infante off the market, there's not much by way of 2nd basemen available.

Can they persuade the reds to eat some of that contract??
    Thats not gonna be easy.

• Advertisement

Can they persuade the reds to eat some of that contract??
    Thats not gonna be easy.

Reds are willing to eat some of the contract....the sticking point last week was that Phillips wouldn't waive his no-trade clause unless he was given an even bigger contract......he's come across as being quite dillusional about his value.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/10151364/brian-roberts-deal-new-york-yankees

Is this the cheapest solution because thats all it looks like maybe to free all the remaining cap for pitching?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

He is so injury prone that we can 100% expect him to miss time.

They will using their back up at some stage for an extended period.

Sin Choo Choo off to Texas for 7 years. I don't know why but for some reason I don't see him as a player that's worth a huge contract.

Sin Choo Choo off to Texas for 7 years. I don't know why but for some reason I don't see him as a player that's worth a huge contract.

He may be for the first couple of seasons.....but 7 years is crazy for someone who's decline is going to start within the next couple of years.

He may be for the first couple of seasons.....but 7 years is crazy for someone who's decline is going to start within the next couple of years.

You'll know better than most as you've probably seen the most of him recently but doesn't he struggle with either lefty/righty pitching?

You'll know better than most as you've probably seen the most of him recently but doesn't he struggle with either lefty/righty pitching?

In 2013: AVG .317 vs right, .215 vs left.....his strikeout rate was close to similar 1 per 4.36ABs vs 1 per 4.12....but his walk rate dropped to 1 walk per 7.55ABs against left vs 1 per 4.41 vs right.

Throughout his career, his average lefties vs rights has always had about a 40-50 point difference (which is just about league average), but in the last 2 seasons that has been 100+

Certainly cause for concern

In 2013: AVG .317 vs right, .215 vs left.....his strikeout rate was close to similar 1 per 4.36ABs vs 1 per 4.12....but his walk rate dropped to 1 walk per 7.55ABs against left vs 1 per 4.41 vs right.

Throughout his career, his average lefties vs rights has always had about a 40-50 point difference (which is just about league average), but in the last 2 seasons that has been 100+

Certainly cause for concern

Earlier this off season Choo was rumoured to be a target for the Mets as he'd tick the need for both an outfielder and lead off hitter. But I was hoping they wouldn't bite and give him what the Rangers seem to have done and it was probably the L/R split that was the reason why.

So it's official..

Tanaka is been posted
    Let the negotiations begin
    (come to the yankees please)

• Advertisement

So it's official..

Tanaka is been posted
    Let the negotiations begin
    (come to the yankees please)

Advertisement