Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

Just some pork loin for a Sunday dinner. Still struggling to get crackling properly. Tasty either way!

20180225_190755_800x450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dónal wrote: »
    Just some pork loin for a Sunday dinner. Still struggling to get crackling properly. Tasty either way!

I’ve always separated the crackling from the meat and roasted separately with a 20/30 minute blast of hot oven at the end to crisp it up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’ve always separated the crackling from the meat and roasted separately with a 20/30 minute blast of hot oven at the end to crisp it up.

+1 to this. Take the skin off and make crackling separately. It will also allow smoke to penetrate the meat better.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

A roast chicken from the Kamado Joe from yesterday. Was unreal moist and nice and smokey from the piece of hickory I used.

d9JocbHl.png

Smokey gravy from the resting juices might be my new favourite thing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Great new selection of broil king smokers in Johnstown garden center. I only went in looking for BBQ firelighters, but stayed looking for about an hour. The guy was too busy putting them all together, so I'll go back in again in a few days to get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

had a 5 litre mini keg sitting in a press since last june with no where to chill it so took advantage of the cold last week to chill it and bbq pork and lamb necks that were in the fridge. bit of a mission to get the fire going with the breeze and the coals used burn to quick but wasnt the worst in the end

Resized_20180301_140713_9572.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

beertons wrote: »
    Great new selection of broil king smokers in Johnstown garden center. I only went in looking for BBQ firelighters, but stayed looking for about an hour. The guy was too busy putting them all together, so I'll go back in again in a few days to get them.
    Must pop in to have a look. I have a Broil King Monarch bbq and it's built like a tank. The BK bbq's are so far ahead of similar priced weber's it's amazing you dont see more of them available. I suppose it's all down to marketing budgets really and Weber are in a different league when it comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Strip steaks in the snow.

r7H0Bpm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hi all,

I picked up two lots of bacon ribs from the dublinmeatco and having googled I realised these are prebrined and people have not had good results when cooking them on the bbq. Any one got any hints or advice? If I just leave them sitting in water might this remove some of the saltiness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

shoutman wrote:
    I picked up two lots of bacon ribs from the dublinmeatco and having googled I realised these are prebrined and people have not had good results when cooking them on the bbq. Any one got any hints or advice? If I just leave them sitting in water might this remove some of the saltiness?

Might be better off boiling them instead of smoking them i dont know if you would get all the salt out. If you dont it would be a waste of 5 or 6 hours.
    Pork ribs or baby back ribs are what youre looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

attachment.php?attachmentid=445375

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

This was cold smoked for 25 hours, mixture of mature cheddar and cream cheese, ones on the right are flavoured with habanero Tabasco sauce, it may seem a lot but these are vacumn packed for minimum 3 weeks before eating so they loose a lot of the heat somehow. 
    The rest are coated with garlic and basil, in 3 weeks will know good or bad, but last batch was unreal, big cheese lover but now really only interested in smoked cheese and before i did first batch didnt really think i would like so much, did it more out of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

The Big Grill Festival will not be running their "pitmaster" competition for the "foreseeable future"

Just a money making, overpriced hipster day out now!

niallam wrote: »
    The Big Grill Festival will not be running their "pitmaster" competition for the "foreseeable future"

Just a money making, overpriced hipster day out now!

Entered the hot wing competition last year - never, ever, ever again!

Didn’t know anything about a pit master competition. But thought it was a great day out, chilled and friendly people (even if the beard count was on the high side) will definitely try and make it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

I’ve been every year since it started. I think it’s great as you can bring the kids. Weather wasn't great on Sunday last year but other than that I enjoyed it.

Entered the hot wing competition last year - never, ever, ever again!

Didn’t know anything about a pit master competition. But thought it was a great day out, chilled and friendly people (even if the beard count was on the high side) will definitely try and make it again this year.

You entered as in you were cooking wings or eating wings? I'm guessing eating? :D

budgemook wrote: »
    You entered as in you were cooking wings or eating wings? I'm guessing eating? :D

Eating. Managed two out of five. They’re cooked by some wing house down Tallaght way I believe.

Eating. Managed two out of five. They’re cooked by some wing house down Tallaght way I believe.

Hottest I ever had was in Hooters, the 911 wings. I was able to eat them but I'm sure that they are child's play compared to other places.

Still trying to figure out how to BBQ / grill wings. I usually cooked them in the oven covered for 30 minutes and then finish them on the grill but at the weekend I tried to smoke them on the BBQ instead of cooking them in the oven. The flavour was good but the drumettes were a bit chewy. I plan on experimenting with wings quite a bit this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

https://www.cayennediane.com/best-grilled-hot-wings/ this is how I do them and find them excellent.

I like to cook them in the oven a bit hotter than suggested here and finish them with smoke on the grill - never have anything but good feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I usually do my wings in the smoker with the last hour's worth of heat left from a big cook, or in the grill using a two zone setup with the charcoal.

With wings, I really think an overnight brine brings out the best in them - Salt, sugar, herbs brought to the boil, chilled, and let the wings sit covered in it overnight.

Take them out, pat them down and use whatever rub you're feeling. Meathead/Amazing Ribs has some great ones. If on the smoker, I'll usually leave them in for an hour with plenty of smoke, turning at least once. If I'm saucing them, I'll brush it on towards the end, heat a pan and give them a quick stir around that. If on the grill, I usually go with 40 minutes off the charcoal, brush with sauce then 5 minutes over the coals.

I prefer to cook them dry then add hot sauce to taste after. Pics of drumsticks/thighs below, but same goes for the wings themselves. Instant read thermometers are great for getting a read on the meat, but making sure you don't make contact with the bone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Ive never used a brine before. How much water , salt and suger do you use. And what herbs and spices would you use ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Ive never used a brine before. How much water , salt and suger do you use. And what herbs and spices would you use ??

You use as much salt as the water can take so once it stops dissolving you have enough.

That's some selection of sauces OB.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

I love grilled ribs yummy

im no big fan of trains but i wouldnt say no to this in the garden for making a few skewers or steaks on

Steampunk-BBQ-grill.jpg

http://www.homecrux.com/steampunk-bbq-grill-in-form-of-a-locomotive-engine/5855/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Good reading on wet and dry brining here, with some recipe guidelines - https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/salting-brining-curing-and-injecting/salting-and-wet-brining-flavorize-moisturize

Meathead mentions finding it difficult to crisp the skin on chicken after wet brining, I've never really had an issue with this, but I'm going to assume that's because I'm not saucing the wings while cooking most of the time. I can't find the link at the moment, but there's another theory that the wet brine helps make cartilage more tender and easier to separate.

Ultimately, each to their own. Play around and see what works for you.
    beertons wrote: »
    That's some selection of sauces OB.

Thanks! They go from 500 Scoville to 650,000 Scoville. Soon to be completed with some 1.5m Scoville. That's probably why I'm not keen on saucing them before serving...

OldBean wrote: »
    Thanks! They go from 500 Scoville to 650,000 Scoville. Soon to be completed with some 1.5m Scoville. That's probably why I'm not keen on saucing them before serving...

Stick up a list of them if ya don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

I dry brine my ribs always. Use 1tsp good sea salt per rack and then vac pack them for bout 8-10 hours.
    Luckily I have a really good vac packer in work :)

made a mess of a meat order today from our butcher. messing about/"experimenting" ordering different cuts of meats ordered lamb belly expecting it to be some what like pork belly so i could mix it in with a lamb neck for a homemade spice sashlik for sunday. Very boney and fatty and not enough meat to cut off so now have it whole marinading in a pre made beef brisket rub with a bit of sherry vinegar & balsamic vinegar with the plan to try it on the bbq sunday and hope for the best. The lamb neck chunks in the home made spice rub is now marinading away seperatley mixed with mayo onions & lemon juice and also have a mix of pork cuts (belly, neck & boston butt) for kebabs marinating in onions a pre made pulled pork rub with apple cider vinegar & bulmers

• Advertisement

My lamb belly slow cooking in the bbq. Not going to well as the coals are burning very quickly and the heat is unsteady. Have to put it in the oven for a while to get a fire going again

20180318_150619.jpg

Advertisement