Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The eBike thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

mailforkev wrote: »
    Lovely day here today so went for a spin down to the sea. I’ve only put 120kms on it so far thanks to lockdown but it’s all good so far. It gets a good few admiring glances (deffo the bike rather than me!).

36877-BBF-09-C8-4-BBC-9-C2-D-ACA4-E6177-BA9.jpg
    Pure class

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Magzire wrote: »
    Is there any shops in dublin area that will upgrade your current bike into a ebike?

I doubt it. One word: insurance.

There are some people on the likes of adverts.ie that will convert your bike for you though, have a look. Or just do it yourself, it really is pretty easy, particularly when you buy a full kit including battery from one crowd like yose power. All click and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

unkel wrote: »
    DD is physically bigger. No way that's a DD in that picture. And while most motors of road legal ebikes can do an awful lot more than 250W, their controllers are usually restricted to 7A (for a 36V setup), giving 250W max output of the system. I've seen many of them.

Feck out the controller and replace it with a €15 30A from China and then you're talking (over a kW) :D

Could anyone recommend a conversion kit for a daily commuter 10km each way? Hybrid bike. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

Magzire wrote: »
    Is there any shops in dublin area that will upgrade your current bike into a ebike?

These lads on Done Deal are offering it. I dont know what they are like.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/electric-bike-conversions-amp-service/27144585

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

jc bamford wrote: »
    These lads on Done Deal are offering it. I dont know what they are like.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/electric-bike-conversions-amp-service/27144585

Used him for 2 bikes now - great service, would recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

thebiglad wrote: »
    Used him for 2 bikes now - great service, would recommend.
    Really? What did you get for the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Thargor wrote: »
    Really? What did you get for the money?

2 already decent bikes adapted to ebike - good job that I am happy with - as simple as it may be, I do not possess the technical ability to adapt my own bikes. Yes, I am sure it would have been cheaper and next time I need my car serviced I will buy the parts and do that myself too - i know my limits and will pay others to do what I can't or don't want to, even if I spend more occasionally:D

The amount I paid though appeared in line with other quotes I got and I looked up battery types etc so I am satisfied with what was installed.

The bikes both ride lovely (which is ultimately what I wanted), have good range and power and overall cost me significantly less than an equivalent bike from a store in e-bike form.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Thinking of picking up the Kuma R1.

Does anyone have any experience?

Just an edit...

after some more research it's either the Kuma R1 or a the VanMoof s3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

My Kuma M1 finally arrived.
    It's a lovely looking bike. I specifically ordered the black as I wanted it to look as "ordinary" as possible. The rack and bag in the pic detracts from its looks tbh.

Cycling it is great fun. I put it on the highest power setting and gave my wife a go. She couldn't stop laughing. It's quite exhilarating.

As an ebike novice, I can't really assess how it compares to other bikes. Certainly on level 5 assist, it's very nippy and ordinary inclines are no bother. Go down to level 1 and there's not a lot happening. I tackled a couple of very steep hills and in level 5 it went up them fine. I mean, it still required extra effort from me and I wasn't bombing up them but it went up steadily and I wasn't panting or anything. These are the type of hills where you'd just get off and walk if you were on an ordinary bike.
    I've also cycled it with the motor off. It's a heavy bike so you notice it but it's actually grand and cycles fine. No real drag with motor off. I sometimes just switch it off when coming downhill.

I took it out to Bray today (I'm in Shankill) and went to the base of Bray Head. Then came back and thought, feck it, and went up Killiney Hill. Back home now and it really wasn't much effort at all.

Mousewar wrote: »
    It's a lovely looking bike. I specifically ordered the black as I wanted it to look as "ordinary" as possible. The rack and bag in the pic detracts from its looks tbh.

Cycling it is great fun. I put it on the highest power setting and gave my wife a go. She couldn't stop laughing. It's quite exhilarating.

As an ebike novice, I can't really assess how it compares to other bikes. Certainly on level 5 assist, it's very nippy and ordinary inclines are no bother. Go down to level 1 and there's not a lot happening. I tackled a couple of very steep hills and in level 5 it went up them fine. I mean, it still required extra effort from me and I wasn't bombing up them but it went up steadily and I wasn't panting or anything. These are the type of hills where you'd just get off and walk if you were on an ordinary bike.
    I've also cycled it with the motor off. It's a heavy bike so you notice it but it's actually grand and cycles fine. No real drag with motor off. I sometimes just switch it off when coming downhill.

I took it out to Bray today (I'm in Shankill) and went to the base of Bray Head. Then came back and thought, feck it, and went up Killiney Hill. Back home now and it really wasn't much effort at all.

Looks really great.

Is there a boost feature or a throttle in anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jamesieliz

eeloe wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up the Kuma R1.

Does anyone have any experience?

Just an edit...

after some more research it's either the Kuma R1 or a the VanMoof s3.

I’ve ordered the R1, using bike to work scheme - it’s due for delivery to me next week so I might put up review once I try it out;
    I only saw the bike after browsing this forum and once price came down in sale I decided to go for it - my limit was 1,500 as that’s all the scheme allows for.
    I am very occasional bike user so not sure if this will give me enough ‘help’ but I’m hoping it will be enough to encourage me to get on the road more during the summer months.
    I don’t live in Dublin so I wasn’t able to try it out before buying it - fingers crossed that I made the right choice, the bike looks lovely and reviews seem good so far.

Looks really great.

Is there a boost feature or a throttle in anyway?

No, none of that. But put it on max assist and it takes off very fast.

jamesieliz wrote: »
    I’ve ordered the R1, using bike to work scheme - it’s due for delivery to me next week so I might put up review once I try it out;
    I only saw the bike after browsing this forum and once price came down in sale I decided to go for it - my limit was 1,500 as that’s all the scheme allows for.
    I am very occasional bike user so not sure if this will give me enough ‘help’ but I’m hoping it will be enough to encourage me to get on the road more during the summer months.
    I don’t live in Dublin so I wasn’t able to try it out before buying it - fingers crossed that I made the right choice, the bike looks lovely and reviews seem good so far.

The r1 is certainly the top of my list right now with the VanMoof a very close second if i can manage to get one on the scheme.

The r1 is certainly the top of my list right now with the VanMoof a very close second if i can manage to get one on the scheme.

I got a quote for the vanmoof on the bike to work scheme grand. Just opted for Kuma in the end.
    Van moof is about 2k isn't it? So, the R1 is quite a bit cheaper. M1 is same price as a vanmoof now.

Well wear, sure is a neat looking bike! :D

What torque has that motor ?

How much was it again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I got a quote for the vanmoof on the bike to work scheme grand. Just opted for Kuma in the end.
    Van moof is about 2k isn't it? So, the R1 is quite a bit cheaper. M1 is same price as a vanmoof now.

Did you use Travelhub?

How much was it again ?

M1 is 2068 on sale atm. Think their new range is due out soon.

How much was it again ?

80nm max output

Did you use Travelhub?
    Yep
    M1 is 2068 on sale atm. Think their new range is due out soon.

Ugh
    Although, that means I probably wouldn't have been able to afford the new model anyway.

Yep

How long did it take between uploading quote on Travelhub, to getting the bike?

Ugh
    Although, that means I probably wouldn't have been able to afford the new model anyway.

Yeah new one will retail at over €2,600. I think the biggest changes is introduction of a belt to replace chain and the lights will now be integrated into bike (I thought they were already?)

• Advertisement

How long did it take between uploading quote on Travelhub, to getting the bike?

Yeah new one will retail at over €2,600. I think the biggest changes is introduction of a belt to replace chain and the lights will now be integrated into bike (I thought they were already?)

1 month.

Where are you getting your info about new models?
    The light is integrated on the R1 but not the M1.
    They're modest enough changes anyway so not too worried.

1 month.

Where are you getting your info about new models?
    The light is integrated on the R1 but not the M1.
    They're modest enough changes anyway so not too worried.

Was chatting to one of guys in Kuma and they mentioned it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I have been having a barney with Jorvik, a UK supplier of e-bikes. I bought a tricycle from them about 2 years ago and it worked fine, a bit underpowered but street legal.

I didn't use it for a period before christmas - it had been working fine, and I kept it indoors until about a month ago, when I would not start, battery charged etc.

I finally sent the front wheel back to Jorvik and they said I needed a new motor, the other one was rusted.... I questioned how a bike that is designed to be ridden in wet conditions could have that issue and here is the reply I got -

"All electric cycles (made by us or otherwise) are not completely waterproof and all manufacturers will advise not to get them saturated and if they are used in the rain to dry them for storage.

All cycles are susceptible to rust if not kept in a dry location and - we can't comment on the conditions each tricycle are kept. Electrical items used outdoors such as lawnmowers will rust if allowed to get wet and not dried. We have not replaced a motor due to rust and no cycle manufacturer will list rust a warranty term.…"

What is "storage" are they saying that if you bring it in from the street you have to dry it??

They sent a photo, of the motor.... attached file (.png)

Are they having a laugh?

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I got the Vanmoof via the bike to work scheme (using Travelhub) so it can be done. Two invoices, one for me, one for work.
    I took it out to Bray today (I'm in Shankill) and went to the base of Bray Head. Then came back and thought, feck it, and went up Killiney Hill.

I’m only a couple of minutes away from you with my S3, if we ever bump into each other on the N11 cycle lane, it’s on.

mailforkev wrote: »
    I got the Vanmoof via the bike to work scheme (using Travelhub) so it can be done. Two invoices, one for me, one for work.

I’m only a couple of minutes away from you with my S3, if we ever bump into each other on the N11 cycle lane, it’s on.

I'll keep an eye out for you!
    That said, I often get lost on the N11 bike lanes. It's a meandering mess of potholes and pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

No opinions on keeping a bike rust free? Should I fit a heater in the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jc bamford

I am on the lookout for a front hub conversion kit but find it difficult to find anything with over 30 N.m torque. I came across this today.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000076611012.html?spm=a2g0o.search0302.0.0.1f191cffkKBAwF&algo_pvid=baadf7a6-2411-4e27-881f-eb9f4042b122&algo_expid=baadf7a6-2411-4e27-881f-eb9f4042b122-12&btsid=0b0a555916153782320234182e64a4&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Anyone heard of these Guys? Any issues with 48V as opposed to 36V?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,878 ✭✭✭✭unkel

48V is better, provides more power at the same current. Also if that really is a Bafang motor and those batteries new Samsung 18650 cells, then those kits are pretty decent value for money, about €600 with the smaller battery, with free shipping coming from Germany, so no VAT / duty / taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

I suppose i can tap holes under the bottom frame part, or on top.

Advertisement