Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The eBike thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,054 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And you really don't want lead acid batteries on an eBike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Jeff2

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Ignoring the connectors/wiring do you know what voltage the electric bike is ? Its all wired parallel, so the final output will be 12v (assuming 12v modules).. A bike is more commonly 36v or 48v or more..

Thanks.

That's my thinking and 48 volt is what it should be rather than it seems wired to 12 volt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Jeff2

unkel wrote: »
    And you really don't want lead acid batteries on an eBike

It's more a Chinese motorbike/scooter thing.

Like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Anything half decent in the way of an ebike available from the likes of Halfords etc., under the bike to work scheme?
    It would just be for local/urban commuting & maybe a little recreation at the weekend.

Have you any existing bike? If so, very easy and cheap to convert. If you like it, sell it and use bike to work subsidy to buy something more substantial.

• Advertisement

Have you any existing bike? If so, very easy and cheap to convert.

There would be a few bike here alright, older mountain bikes (one with skinny road tyres) & a newer hybrid type. Not sure if I'd get the OK to chop that one up though :D.

Older mountain bike is perfect. That's how I started too :D

Just get a conversion kit with a wheel, and source battery and charger separately. Read the first few pages of this thread. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

im wondering where i would get a replacement kit for my bike. its a 36v 10ah (i have the battery). I need a front wheel 28in with a 250w motor and controller for same.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Can you put up photos of what you have?
    Any markings, makes? Was from wheel stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

nokiatom wrote: »
    im wondering where i would get a replacement kit for my bike. its a 36v 10ah (i have the battery). I need a front wheel 28in with a 250w motor and controller for same.
    thanks
    I have two recommendations from sellers in Europe that I have purchased from. Both have quick delivery and no duty to be paid.
    The first is the cheaper (and free delivery) but unfortunately they are out of stock but you could email them and see when they are restocking.
    http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2019-bq-qeq9

The second is a little more expensive.
    https://yosepower.com/collections/electric-bike-conversion-kit/products/36v-250w-26-front-motor-kit?variant=34181011832967

• Advertisement

Its a Kenbay bike, Made in Dublin I think but not in business anymore. Bike is over 7 years old
    BomTsmf.jpg

Its a Kenbay bike, Made in Dublin I think but not in business anymore. Bike is over 7 years old
    BomTsmf.jpg

The prices they were charging for cheap bikes was mind boggling.

I doubt they were made in Dublin, looked more like dirt cheap Chinese bikes.

no issues with my bike and its second hand. it just needs a new motor and trying to find a replacement wheel with motor

How do you know it needs a new motor?

How do you know it needs a new motor?

its making very funny noises and losing power

[QUOTE=nokiatom;11351138
    1]its making very funny noises and losing power[/QUOTE]

Could be a hall sensor or controller issue.

Grinding noise perchance? Could just need gears. €9.99 for the parts, easy job. Did it myself on my fat bike.

Kramer wrote: »
    Anything half decent in the way of an ebike available from the likes of Halfords etc., under the bike to work scheme?
    It would just be for local/urban commuting & maybe a little recreation at the weekend.
    Older mountain bike is perfect. That's how I started too :D

Just get a conversion kit with a wheel, and source battery and charger separately. Read the first few pages of this thread. Have fun!

Am I basically looking for what was recommended by Joe1919, plus a battery system then?
    Joe1919 wrote: »
    I have two recommendations from sellers in Europe that I have purchased from. Both have quick delivery and no duty to be paid.
    The first is the cheaper (and free delivery) but unfortunately they are out of stock but you could email them and see when they are restocking.
    http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2019-bq-qeq9

The second is a little more expensive.
    https://yosepower.com/collections/electric-bike-conversion-kit/products/36v-250w-26-front-motor-kit?variant=34181011832967

€250 odd plus what, €250+ for a battery system?
    As far as I know, something around the €1,000 mark from a retailer would work out at €5/600 under the bike to work scheme, so not too much of a saving?

I'd still consider something half decent from a retailer while I'm chopping up an older mountain bike & setting fire to the shed, pushing 5 volts into some old 18650s :D.

€250 odd plus what, €250+ for a battery system?
    As far as I know, something around the €1,000 mark from a retailer would work out at €5/600 under the bike to work scheme, so not too much of a saving?

My first conversion was about €195 all in iirc, battery and charger included and everything brand new. But you know I buy well ;)

My point about doing the conversion DIY first was to save your subsidy for a later eBike from a shop later. You only get it once every 5 years? But yeah, you have a point also, if you are going to spend €500 on a DIY job, you might be better off using the subsidy for a shop bought bike instead. Also have something 100% road legal that way.

setting fire to the shed, pushing 5 volts into some old 18650s :D.

If you insist on pushing 5 volt into a single 18650 for long enough there is a very decent chance your shed will go up in flames alright. And I'm not joking there! Those feckers are lethal :D

Mad_Lad will come on here soon to confirm that he also never charges up any of his eBike batteries inside his house...

• Advertisement

Grinding noise perchance? Could just need gears. €9.99 for the parts, easy job. Did it myself on my fat bike.

opened up the motor...gears are perfect. battery is new

opened up the motor...gears are perfect. battery is new

My gears looked fine too. But they weren't. What noise do you get, can you post up a vid and some of use might be able to point you in the direction of what might be the problem.

Could be a hall sensor or controller issue.
    im not into electrics and theres no one nearby that knows about them

My gears looked fine too. But they weren't. What noise do you get, can you post up a vid and some of use might be able to point you in the direction of what might be the problem.

in the next few days will try and rig something up to record it

in the next few days will try and rig something up to record it

Just a phone video uploaded to youtube will probably do

Mad_Lad will come on here soon to confirm that he also never charges up any of his eBike batteries inside his house...

I sure did charge my LiPo up in the house but stored it in the shed. Charged it on the cooker hob with extractor fan on just in case. Can't be too paranoid with Li cells.

I'm using LiFeP04 now with my Radio Transceiver, I'm comfortable leaving this in the house more than 18650 cells or LiPo. LiFeP04 will mostly just smoke, the others will burst in to flames that are difficult to put out not to mention the toxic smoke.....

Anyway, it's not worth the risk, a dodgy cell connection or BMS that dies and it can cause a lot of trouble.

Buy batteries from known reputable sources such as em3ev.com who makes his own, I'm sure there are others these days but I've been out of the DIY ebike game for a long time.

OH I almost forget, I did keep my Ping battery 48v 20ah battery in the house but still in a fire proof location, best thing about keeping it int he house was that cold didn't effect it, I remember how sluggish my LiPo got when it was left out int he cold shed, some voltage sag too.

Power cut this evening. And I just had my stuffed mushrooms in my air fryer :(

Fear not, plenty of solutions in this gaff. Power that oven (1000W) from my bike!

514591.jpg

Moments later I was running my PC directly off my Tesla. And I haven't even configured the emergency power outlet of my power wall yet. This provides 3kW, so is very useful

A few portable solar panels, a reverse osmosis water filter, a sharp stick & I reckon you could move up the Wicklow mountains - a true prepper/survivalist :D.

......stuffed mushrooms......maybe not quite ready for the apocalypse yet.....

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Power cut this evening. And I just had my stuffed mushrooms in my air fryer :(

Fear not, plenty of solutions in this gaff. Power that oven (1000W) from my bike!

Moments later I was running my PC directly off my Tesla. And I haven't even configured the emergency power outlet of my power wall yet. This provides 3kW, so is very useful

Excellent job, being prepared is very satisfying..

• Advertisement

Configured the emergency outlet on the power wall too, couldn't have been easier. Working fine. So next time we have a power cut I will be VERY prepared. Even more so than this time :D

Advertisement