Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021 Bride/Groom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

So how are we all feeling after the announcement? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SushiLover31

Ankhyu wrote: »

Devastated, with 50 in July we will have to cut out some family members. Even with 60 I'd have been happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Devastated, with 50 in July we will have to cut out some family members. Even with 60 I'd have been happy.

I'm sorry to hear, that's awful :( I'm sure they'll understand but I totally get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

We had mentally cut to 25 already so this feels like an extra 25 people, it's fantastic. We invited roughly 50 on the off chance it would increase but had given friends the heads up that we might still have to cut it, it is very nice to not have to uninvite people. Still not sure about a couple of people abroad and it would be lovely if they could come but given that we would only have been allowed six on our original date, this is a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Ankhyu wrote: »

We're September (our 3rd date...), so it's all sounding much more positive now.

Realistically we'll probably only end up having around 50 people, as we have a lot of friends/family living abroad who are very unlikely to travel. But it's reassuring to know that we can now send as many invites as we want and if the final number creeps above 50, we won't have to uninvite people!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Does anyone know anything about the specifics regarding the reception part of the wedding - reading conflicting information online since the announcement.

Specifically, will live music be allowed? And if not, will a DJ be able to play? Will dancing be allowed?

I've also read about spacing between guests (before this announcement) - is this still the plan for July weddings?

A lot of that kind of detail will probably be in the Failte Ireland guidelines which take a while to be published after the government announcements. And it depends on if your venue is part of the hotel federation or if they have their own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

A lot of that kind of detail will probably be in the Failte Ireland guidelines which take a while to be published after the government announcements. And it depends on if your venue is part of the hotel federation or if they have their own rules.

So, the hotel/venue can have it's own rules and do not have to comply with Failte Ireland guidelines??

I am confused...:confused:

Shyboy wrote: »
    So, the hotel/venue can have it's own rules and do not have to comply with Failte Ireland guidelines??

I am confused...:confused:

They're guidelines, not laws. Our venue does stick to them but I've seen people online saying theirs allowed live music or didn't count kids in the numbers or whatever. So best to check with your own venue what they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭Deckyalrite

Has anyone been successful with having a live band at their wedding?

We have been informed by our band that it is at the discretion of the hotel and that Failte Ireland are merely an advisory body. As far as I know a person performing their duties of employment are allowed according to the law. I'm open to correction but from what I understand it would not be possible for the hotel to receive a fine or guards to intervene. Has anyone done more digging into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭dzilla

When will the govt announce date and numbers for August. Going by June 7 and July 5 dates I think August 2 is the change date for August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Does anyone know the allowed numbers for the dublin registry office? We are getting married there in July and hoping to have 12 inc us but the number and email on the hse website are not working to contact anyone to confirm.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭zedhead

Naid23 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the allowed numbers for the dublin registry office? We are getting married there in July and hoping to have 12 inc us but the number and email on the hse website are not working to contact anyone to confirm.

thanks

There phone lines and emails are out of service due to the hse hack. No idea when it will be back.

So annoying, got married on May 7th and need to get my marriage cert so I can apply for a new passport but can't until the hack is resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

zedhead wrote: »
    There phone lines and emails are out of service due to the hse hack. No idea when it will be back.

So annoying, got married on May 7th and need to get my marriage cert so I can apply for a new passport but can't until the hack is resolved.

I didnt even think of that. Hopefully can find out soon so we can know who we can invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Has anyone been successful with having a live band at their wedding?

We have been informed by our band that it is at the discretion of the hotel and that Failte Ireland are merely an advisory body. As far as I know a person performing their duties of employment are allowed according to the law. I'm open to correction but from what I understand it would not be possible for the hotel to receive a fine or guards to intervene. Has anyone done more digging into it?

Personally I’d be surprised if the hotel were willing to risk their reputation by going along with any grey area discretionary decisions. Could be wrong though of course, best to just check with the venue.

• Advertisement

dzilla wrote: »
    When will the govt announce date and numbers for August. Going by June 7 and July 5 dates I think August 2 is the change date for August.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0528/1224541-taoiseach-coronavirus-restrictions/

The 5th of August was outlined in the latest announcement (it always seems to be after a bank holiday weekend, not before). 100 guests at weddings then... only if we manage to keep our progress on track of course...

woodchuck wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0528/1224541-taoiseach-coronavirus-restrictions/

The 5th of August was outlined in the latest announcement (it always seems to be after a bank holiday weekend, not before). 100 guests at weddings then... only if we manage to keep our progress on track of course...

Ah yes I see now that he quoted it August 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any recommendations for wedding insurance march 2022 wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

The latest regulations can be found here and applies until 2 June: S.I. No. 217/2021 - Health Act 1947 (Section 31A - Temporary Restrictions) (Covid-19) (No. 2) Regulations 2021

Nothing up for after 2 June yet, will keep an eye out! They appear to be the same for now I'm afraid! It may be worth calling the guards on a no name basis and see if they know any more? My reading would be that marquees at home are out but maybe more information / a different interpretation has been provided to them

Sorry to bother you again but have you seen an update based on the latest announcements?

I don't see anything here:https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/04388-informal-consolidation-of-covid-19-temporary-restrictions-regulations/

We were planning a marquee wedding in the grounds of a rural house but that doesn't seem to be facilitated whatsoever in those regulations so far. How does a house become a venue?!

Alkers wrote: »
    Sorry to bother you again but have you seen an update based on the latest announcements?

I don't see anything here:https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/04388-informal-consolidation-of-covid-19-temporary-restrictions-regulations/

We were planning a marquee wedding in the grounds of a rural house but that doesn't seem to be facilitated whatsoever in those regulations so far. How does a house become a venue?!

Look at S.I. No. 217 of 2021, page 10, the part on weddings:
    Weddings
    9. (1) A person shall not organise, or cause to be organised, a wedding in a
    relevant geographical location other than in accordance with paragraph (2).
    (2)A person may organise, or cause to be organised, a wedding in a relevant
    geographical location in a premises or premises, as the case may be, other than a dwelling where the person takes all reasonable steps to ensure that -

My understanding from the part in bold is that a wedding reception cannot currently be organised at a dwelling, i.e. a private residence. I stand to be corrected though.

I'm assuming the reason behind this decision is that an official wedding venue (hotel etc) will stick much more rigidly to the safety precautions than a group at a private residence.

Obviously we've all seen the headlines about the guards showing up at marquee weddings to shut things down. But they always seem to be breaking the restrictions in other ways (i.e. far too many guests). Technically I don't think any marquee weddings are allowed atm, but it does seem a lot of people are planning them. I wonder if the guards are just turning a blind eye unless it's a massive shindig.

• Advertisement

My understanding from the part in bold is that a wedding reception cannot currently be organised at a dwelling, i.e. a private residence. I stand to be corrected though.

I'm assuming the reason behind this decision is that an official wedding venue (hotel etc) will stick much more rigidly to the safety precautions than a group at a private residence.

Obviously we've all seen the headlines about the guards showing up at marquee weddings to shut things down. But they always seem to be breaking the restrictions in other ways (i.e. far too many guests). Technically I don't think any marquee weddings are allowed atm, but it does seem a lot of people are planning them. I wonder if the guards are just turning a blind eye unless it's a massive shindig.

Yes that's my interpretation too of things currently, although they keep extending the date of the regulations, I wonder when they will eventually lift that restriction.

Yes that's my interpretation too of things currently, although they keep extending the date of the regulations, I wonder when they will eventually lift that restriction - that particular SI only lasts until early June

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Alkers wrote: »

It doesn't look like updated regulations have been published yet. They'll be published on Irish Statute Book under the heading Health Act 1947 (Section 31A - Temporary Restrictions) (Covid-19) (No. []) Regulations 2021 once available. The current regulations are in place until 2 June. I'll try to keep an eye out but we're getting ready for our own wedding on Saturday so I can't promise I'll be able to!

A dwelling is classed as a private residence and it seems from a high level reading of the regulations a venue can be anywhere but a dwelling. Honestly, I'd be very surprised if they removed the dwelling exception but we can hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭smndly

Does anyone know about live music and closing times for July weddings? I cant seem to find any updated guidelines for July other than an increase in numbers from 25 to 50

Nothing has changed on that front, it depends on Failte Ireland guidelines and/or your venue's policy. The Failte Ireland guidelines haven't been updated since the latest government announcement.

Failte Ireland guidelines for reopening for hotels and guesthouses have been updated. Still no live music or loud music permitted and all food and beverage facilities must be cleared of patrons by 11.30pm. I understand this is open to change if e.g. govt allow music in pubs but the music and curfew stuff isn't specific to weddings in the guidelines so it's anyone's guess as to when it will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Failte Ireland guidelines for reopening for hotels and guesthouses have been updated. Still no live music or loud music permitted and all food and beverage facilities must be cleared of patrons by 11.30pm. I understand this is open to change if e.g. govt allow music in pubs but the music and curfew stuff isn't specific to weddings in the guidelines so it's anyone's guess as to when it will change.

It really is complete nonsense isn't it! Just let couple have some live music at their wedding FFS, they've already had to sacrifice so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 salad_man

I dont think these guidelines for weddings have been updated to reflect the changes from July onward

The document clearly states from 10th May onward which would indicate the recent announcements are not considered.

pg 37 in below document

https://failtecdn.azureedge.net/failteireland/Guidelines-for-Re-opening-Hotels-and-Guesthouses.pdf

You're right, the weddings section hasn't been updated, but the overall summary table on page 4 of what's allowed and what isn't is up to date to July.

I just found out that our wedding coordinator at our venue has left. And that they're no longer allowing DJs. This is news to me, as they were allowed DJs last year and always said they didn't fall under failte Ireland guidelines. They only told me because I reached out to touch base with them and specifically asked the question.

I'm absolutely devastated. I have no idea what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I just found out that our wedding coordinator at our venue has left. And that they're no longer allowing DJs. This is news to me, as they were allowed DJs last year and always said they didn't fall under failte Ireland guidelines. They only told me because I reached out to touch base with them and specifically asked the question.

I'm absolutely devastated. I have no idea what to do.

Not allowing DJs because of covid or just not allowing it in general? You’re getting married in AR right? I wonder if that’s because of the restaurant downstairs maybe? My brother just booked there as well a few weeks ago for this coming September and their plan is for just a DJ too.

Not allowing DJs because of covid or just not allowing it in general? You’re getting married in AR right? I wonder if that’s because of the restaurant downstairs maybe? My brother just booked there as well a few weeks ago for this coming September and their plan is for just a DJ too.

They didn't go into detail in the email. I plan to arrange a call when I'm less upset. I assume it's due to Covid. Alison told us all along that they don't fall under failte Ireland guidelines and were allowing DJs. Apparently now they're not. Obviously that MIGHT change by September, but it's a complete game changer for the type of day we were planning.

I so upset and annoyed. They only told me because I specifically asked. If I hadn't asked were they ever going to tell me?!

What was your brother told when they booked? Which wedding coordinator was he talking to? The change in wedding coordinator seems very recent. I was told Alison was "on leave" when I emailed them a few weeks ago.

They didn't go into detail in the email. I plan to arrange a call when I'm less upset. I assume it's due to Covid. Alison told us all along that they don't fall under failte Ireland guidelines and were allowing DJs. Apparently now they're not. Obviously that MIGHT change by September, but it's a complete game changer for the type of day we were planning.

I so upset and annoyed. They only told me because I specifically asked. If I hadn't asked were they ever going to tell me?!

What was your brother told when they booked? Which wedding coordinator was he talking to? The change in wedding coordinator seems very recent. I was told Alison was "on leave" when I emailed them a few weeks ago.

I’ll check with him this weekend and let you know!

I’ll check with him this weekend and let you know!

Thanks. Honestly, I'm wondering if they're even telling couples. I feel like they only told me because I specifically asked the question. I feel like this must be a very recent change, because we were reassured by the (previous) wedding coordinator when we spoke to her a few months ago.

What they said was, that they're trying their best to be as flexible as possible & management are allowing music for the ceremony & drink reception but atm no DJ or live bands are allowed "per government guidance". But they said that September is still a bit off and this may change between now and then, so to check back with them again.

I have no idea what government guidance they're talking about though. As far as I'm aware it's not on gov.ie or in the legislation. It's not actually illegal to have a DJ, it's only in the Failte Ireland guidelines. I just don't see how they could allow weddings with a DJ last year when we were under level 5 restrictions and no vaccine, but this year, when restrictions are finally loosening up and the vaccine rollout is well underway, NOW they're changing their tune and saying no DJ?! It doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm trying to arrange a call during the week though. If nothing else, I want to make sure there are no more "surprises"...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Well, we did it! We got married!

I won't say that I wouldn't change a thing because 1) I know how frustrating it was to see other people saying that when you're disappointed; and 2) of course I would have much preferred a less restricted day! However, it was an amazing day and all came together in the end! We were able to have all 10 guests at the ceremony and then headed out to Stephen's Green for photos and a reception of sorts with some friends and family who had turned up to wish us well and even had a whole champagne picnic going on! We did have to split our guests up for the meal but were back together in the bar afterwards. All in all, it worked out as perfectly as it could and we really had such a wonderful day!

Now to plan it all again for next year!

Wishing you all the best with your days and I hope you all get the days you want and deserve!

Ah that’s brilliant news! That photo is gorgeous, you both look smitten :) congrats!

Congratulations MCR! Great photo, and I love your flowers! Delighted that you had such a lovely day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Congratulations and what a fabulous photo!
    Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just a quick question what did you guys do about wedding invites ?

We are planning on getting married in May next year and would like about 110 people to attend obviously we don't know if that possible yet and thankfully we still have a good bit of time to see how things go b

I'm just wondering what people getting married this year done ? did you invite the numbers you wanted to have or where allowed to have at the time you sent the invites , or anyone still waiting to see if you can have all the guest you would like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 sambowden

we sent out "save the date"s to everyone we wanted to invite last year before we knew where we'd be now (about 180 people). We are getting married in September so it seems like we will be able to have 100 now. We will wait until maybe July before we send out the invites themselves. Not sure if we will contact those that we sent saves the dates to but not invites, but I dont think its needed as people understand the current situation.

sambowden wrote: »
    we sent out "save the date"s to everyone we wanted to invite last year before we knew where we'd be now (about 180 people). We are getting married in September so it seems like we will be able to have 100 now. We will wait until maybe July before we send out the invites themselves. Not sure if we will contact those that we sent saves the dates to but not invites, but I dont think its needed as people understand the current situation.

I agree that people will understand that they got a save the date but not an invite but I would definitely contact them and tell them. What if they are putting off booking a weekend away or have requested the time off work because they got the save the date? With restrictions at 25 it’s much easier to assume you wouldn’t be invited but when it gets to 100 then lots of people will think they’ve made the list even when they might not have. It’s the sound thing to do to contact them and let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sambowden

ya, fair counterpoint for sure. Although I dont know if I'm ready to contact people to tell them didnt make the cut :)
    A bit awkward! Will probably take it on a case by case basis, tell some, but maybe not others! Will probably have a few deep chats on the subject over the next few weeks with family and friends to figure out best approach. Thankfully it looks like it will only be a small number with September number looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SushiLover31

How have people who cancelled dates found it with regards to deposits. Some suppliers we gave large deposits to, can't do our second date.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

How have people who cancelled dates found it with regards to deposits. Some suppliers we gave large deposits to, can't do our second date.

Lost a couple of deposits but nothing major. We worked our second date around the date that suited as many suppliers as possible. In the end we only lost two and they held deposit. Was a bit pissed off as our original date would’ve only allowed 6 people and those suppliers would’ve been unnecessary for such a small group.

I was finally able to chat to the new wedding coordinator today. She confirmed that we CAN have a DJ. It's such a relief, but I'm so mad at the other person for answering the question when she obviously hadn't a clue.

• Advertisement

Where are you guys getting ordering your invites from? I’m very tempted to order a digital file from Etsy and have it printed locally. No idea where in Dublin other than maybe Reades on Nassau st?

Also, it’s really nice to be looking at these fun things for weddings rather than just the constant worry of the past 15 months :)

We've ordered our invites from optimal print.

Its been a bit of a saga though. We ordered over a week ago and they were due to be delivered today or yesterday. I hadn't got an email or text to say that they were on the way though, so I checked my spam folder, which had an email from a week ago to say that there was a technical glitch, the invites can't be printed and to pick another design. I was freaking out! We went with optimal print because we heard they're meant to be quick and now we've lost a whole week (and it took me ages to pick a design to begin with and get it just right). I placed a new order with them yesterday and apparently they've been printed and shipped today, so hopefully we'll have them by the end of the week and we'll get them sent next week.

Under normal circumstances I'd love to support a small Irish business and wouldn't even mind spending a bit more money on something more unique/bespoke. But we've left it later than I would've liked to send the invites due to Covid, so we've just gone with what is supposed to be the quickest option for physical invites.

We just plan to send electronic invitations to our guests living abroad though (using paperlesspost). That's because (1) international post can take ages and we just don't have time for that and (2) I'd expect most/all to decline the invite anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

I used Zazzle for my wedding invite. I bought a timeline template on Etsy and edited it, saved it as a jpg and I uploaded it to SnapFish to print it. I will send out the timeline with the wedding invite. Zazzle don't allow you to upload your own design but SnapFish do so if you love a design on Etsy, I would advise going with that option. Snapfish regularly have sales so don't pay full price. A browser add on like Honey will help you find a coupon to save money.

I had a look at Optimal Print as like others I had heard good things. I didn't see any designs that suited the theme of the wedding but there was a half off sale at the time. I will probably go with Optimal Print for my thank you cards.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Can't help you because I've designed my own and will print them myself at home.

Optimal print are printed in clare and a 1 day dispatch if its during the week. once you dont go for a fancy finish with rounded corners and order before 3pm you should very well have them the next day. I was impressed with the dispatch time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement