Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What ELM got next!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

ELM327 wrote: »
    Another update.

VRT paid. 2498€

I ran straight in to pay it after getting the call. I was expecting double that!

happy days, that's a seriously good price, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,731 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sweet! Looks like you got yourself the boards.ie EV bargain of the year 2019.

Story on the MCU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Sweet! Looks like you got yourself the boards.ie EV bargain of the year 2019.

Story on the MCU?
    Seems like it. Total cost just under €47k including travel, hotel, vrt, exchange rates etc.

MCU they were unable to replicate the error but found something in the logs and updated the firmware apparently. Hasnt happened since so they've done something anyway.

I'd make a log on that and try get something agreed in writing by Tesla that your car had symptoms of MCU failure, which seemingly were alleviated with the software update, but that Tesla will replace the MCU FOC within an agreed period outside of warranty if the issue arises again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd make a log on that and try get something agreed in writing by Tesla that your car had symptoms of MCU failure...

+1

Even an email from you to the service centre explaining all that would be a help as it will show a dated audit trail of sorts that you can point back to saying the MCU was on the way out during your warranty.

I'd make a log on that and try get something agreed in writing by Tesla that your car had symptoms of MCU failure, which seemingly were alleviated with the software update, but that Tesla will replace the MCU FOC within an agreed period outside of warranty if the issue arises again
    I saw the service record (it was emailed to me) and it shows that the symptoms were recorded and that the firmware was fixed "with customer to monitor". That to me is tacit acceptance of a potential issue.

So, let's revisit this thread.

It's been 7 months now that I've had the car and I've only done 21k km (thanks covid).
    No other changes to the car, 161 S90D facelift with CCS and Chademo charging, 11kW AC, AP1/EAP, cold pack, sunroof.

I'm debating selling it. What do people think would be a good price to list at/expect to get? Especially in these times, how do people even buy/sell/view cars anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd bench against UK import with VRT on top and work from there, very few S90D's on sale here to work a price off.
    Remember if you are thinking of replacing it with another UK import the only date we have so far is 31.12.20 so after that you have to assume VAT + VRT

Yes that's my problem, no real comparison here.
    People can't go to the UK now either.

I won't be buying from the UK again, too much hassle, will buy something domestically for sure. Havent decided yet. I just saw the e66 760li I was looking at a while ago is up for sale again.

Very hard to say and your car might hold its value very steadily once we are past 01/01/2021 (or even go up in value) as bringing one in will become very expensive with the VAT alone costing the guts of EUR10k

For a private sale if you want someone to bite and deal done within a week, given your car is now out of warranty (except for battery and drive train), advertise for more but maybe accept around the EUR40k mark? There's a facelift 2016 75D with AP1 from Tesla UK for GBP37.6k with Tesla warranty, which is worth a few grand. Same performance, slightly less range than your car.
    People can't go to the UK now either.

There is no problem getting a car from the UK now. You will just have to get a transport company to do it. Will cost you about EUR400 or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm debating selling it. What do people think would be a good price to list at/expect to get? Especially in these times, how do people even buy/sell/view cars anyway.
    If I was selling it I would aim for what I paid for it (including all costs, transport etc) -10%.

But that's my culture, boss. Where I come from cars depreciate 20% a year. Irish used car prices are weird.

Lumen wrote: »
    If I was selling it I would aim for what I paid for it (including all costs, transport etc) -10%.

There's not much of a relation between what a car "stands you" and what price it would fetch in the market. If you want to sell you should only care about the latter!

Very hard to say and your car might hold its value very steadily once we are past 01/01/2021 (or even go up in value) as bringing one in will become very expensive with the VAT alone costing the guts of EUR10k

For a private sale if you want someone to bite and deal done within a week, given your car is now out of warranty (except for battery and drive train), advertise for more but maybe accept around the EUR40k mark? There's a facelift 2016 75D with AP1 from Tesla UK for GBP37.6k with Tesla warranty, which is worth a few grand. Same performance, slightly less range than your car.

There is no problem getting a car from the UK now. You will just have to get a transport company to do it. Will cost you about EUR400 or thereabouts.

No, it's much slower. The 75 pack is lower voltage and thus outputs less power. My S90D is ~4.2s 0-60. The S75D was ~4.9 from memory.

This is what I'm looking for though, just a collective brainstorm for how much I should list for. I haven't decided how much I'd actually sell for, but I saw a nosecone RWD S85 with no AP go for high 30's here so I'd expect a fair bit more than that.

Then again, if I were looking to buy an S now, the last place I'd look would be a private seller. So there's that.

There's not much of a relation between what a car "stands you" and what price it would fetch in the market. If you want to sell you should only care about the latter!
    Agree.

Indeed, but that's how I roll. It makes everyone happier, not least me.

Lumen wrote: »
    Indeed, but that's how I roll. It makes everyone happier, not least me.

I roll in a similar way. Whatever I sell will have to be a good bit more expensive than what I paid for it. Or at least that's the aim. I succeed more often than I fail on this :p
    No, it's much slower. The 75 pack is lower voltage and thus outputs less power. My S90D is ~4.2s 0-60. The S75D was ~4.9 from memory.

Just going by the Tesla UK website and both are listed as 0-60 4.2s there. Have a look for yourself if you don't believe me!
    I saw a nosecone RWD S85 with no AP go for high 30's here

In a private sale? I very much doubt it. Or they overpaid by at least 5k

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Then again, if I were looking to buy an S now, the last place I'd look would be a private seller. So there's that.

I got my MS from a private seller, came with 29months Tesla CPO warranty, wouldn't discount private sellers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d have no problem buying a MS in a private sale. Especially if it was a forum
    Member of group member as you know there’s some history there and it should be genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

It's been 7 months now that I've had the car and I've only done 21k km (thanks covid).
    No other changes to the car, 161 S90D facelift with CCS and Chademo charging, 11kW AC, AP1/EAP, cold pack, sunroof.

Just wondering why the decision to sell?
    notwithstanding covid for the past 2.5 months, you've had 4 months of normal ownership, (all in winter!)

He has his eye on a V12 petrol BMW 7-series. That's a reasonable excuse in my book :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

He has his eye on a V12 petrol BMW 7-series. That's a reasonable excuse in my book :D

I didn't think he was a masochist though :confused:

He's already committed to a Cyberduck too IIRC.

He'll get sick very quickly of spending €200 a week in petrol and of course €1,808 in annual motor tax :p And maintenance is no probs, he'll do all that himself for free :pac:

It’s only really worth swapping a high spec i3 to be honest. And I just happen to know of an i3 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Balls to you.

Now I'm doing man-math despite knowing that it would cost too much.

I don't mean the car would cost too much. I mean the prison time I'd do as I'd have to murder my wife before she did the same to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

why u thinking of selling. i honestly think if mine hadnt been robbed i would ahve had it for ten years.. 8 years more than my longest ever kept car lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

My prediction: He'll see the error of his ways and be back in a Ioniq 28 at some point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

jprboy wrote: »
    My prediction: He'll see the error of his ways and be back in a Ioniq 28 at some point

leafboi

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Look, if you really, really want your Ioniq back I'd be open to a straight swap.

<spits> Puh her there, Boss!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

copeyhagen wrote: »
    why u thinking of selling. i honestly think if mine hadnt been robbed i would ahve had it for ten years.. 8 years more than my longest ever kept car lol

WFH

No 1000km commute every week

Cheap petrol/diesel at the pump

Main reason anyone bought an EV in Ireland was running cost and with WFH the future for forseable, EVs don't seem too attractive anymore

With no savings of €80 a week on dino juice whats the point paying a premium for an EV?

Going to be a good few EVs for sale soon by crazy commuters, who don't commute no more

Not too much Elm situation as I dont think Tesla MS is overpriced, would much prefer one to any petrol 7 series

More the people who paid €40,000 for a Kona to do 1000km per week, that they don't have to do anymore

Suddenly it doesnt make much financial sense anymore

Model Ss in the UK do on average 20k km per year, slightly less than the average diesel.

https://www.racfoundation.org/research/mobility/new-car-mileage

To give you an idea also, 2 P90D’s sold this month from dealers for €50k.
    Midland Cars and Yomac Cars.

One went to a boardsiee on here.
    They were advertised for €52,995.

• Advertisement

Facelift 2016 P90D worth a good 8k-9k more than 90D though. L even more.

Yes deffo but just to give idea.

This is an option I'm looking at, scheduled a call with a dealer tomorrow who has an Ioniq for sale. This way I'll have the Ioniq as a daily (which I loved) and the v12 bimmer for the weekends and for long trips.

Look, if you really, really want your Ioniq back I'd be open to a straight swap.

<spits> Puh her there, Boss!

:D

She was a great car for me, I'd love to have her back if you're interested in trading up to a Tesla (ie with cash my way) please do send a pm

Gumbo wrote: »
    To give you an idea also, 2 P90D’s sold this month from dealers for €50k.
    Midland Cars and Yomac Cars.

One went to a boardsiee on here.
    They were advertised for €52,995.
    Gumbo wrote: »
    Yes deffo but just to give idea.
    Yes I had seen that, pro of those cars were the performance spec, cons they were the nosecone car.

I reckon listing mine at 49k and looking to deal through some of the various fora I post on would be my best bet.

Mike3287 wrote: »
    WFH

No 1000km commute every week

Cheap petrol/diesel at the pump

Main reason anyone bought an EV in Ireland was running cost and with WFH the future for forseable, EVs don't seem too attractive anymore

With no savings of €80 a week on dino juice whats the point paying a premium for an EV?

Going to be a good few EVs for sale soon by crazy commuters, who don't commute no more

Not too much Elm situation as I dont think Tesla MS is overpriced, would much prefer one to any petrol 7 series

More the people who paid €40,000 for a Kona to do 1000km per week, that they don't have to do anymore

Suddenly it doesnt make much financial sense anymore

And this chap is on the money (hi thierry, good to see you back)

sk8board wrote: »
    Just wondering why the decision to sell?
    notwithstanding covid for the past 2.5 months, you've had 4 months of normal ownership, (all in winter!)
    In those four months I did ~22k km and the buzz is gone.
    I usually change cars quite often, this is long for me!

(got the S on 6th Nov,so it's coming up on 7 months ownership now)

This way I'll have the Ioniq as a daily (which I loved) and the v12 bimmer for the weekends and for long trips.

Friend of mine just bought a E31 BMW 850i V12. By the time he has it done up, it will be ready for the €56 annual motor tax. E38 is only a few years behind. Both are very affordable still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

This is an option I'm looking at, scheduled a call with a dealer tomorrow who has an Ioniq for sale. This way I'll have the Ioniq as a daily (which I loved) and the v12 bimmer for the weekends and for long trips.

You do know there's a boardsie that has an Ioniq for sale?

You do know there's a boardsie that has an Ioniq for sale?
    Yes but I'm looking for a cash my way deal.
    I'm sure he's not. Hence the dealer approach.

Friend of mine just bought a E31 BMW 850i V12. By the time he has it done up, it will be ready for the €56 annual motor tax. E38 is only a few years behind. Both are very affordable still.
    Wouldnt be into the e31.
    I'd love an e38 750il - I was in one a former boardsie had a few years ago , I think it circled through some of the motors regulars.

From a classic perspective also, a 99-00 e38 would be an easier insurance ask. There's just never any for sale here!

• Advertisement

(Here's my post from the Tesla owners group. 1 year to the day of ownership)

Rant time
    Subject : “Tesla Customer Service” or “Anyone want to buy a model S?”
    Tesla Dublin

Car booked in on the app for 4 new tires, headlights adjustment, daughterboard upgrade, and a couple of cosmetic issues. Loaner requested

First person called me a couple of days before the appointment , ran through everything on the list. Went to go check with parts dept and said they’d call me back.
    Never called back.

I called back the next day and asked again and was told they’d get the person I was talking to to call me back.

Never called back.

Called again and was transferred to the initial person who asked me to delay by two weeks. They were waiting on parts. This caused me to have to rent a car to go to a medical appointment as my cars NCT had now expired. But fine, she assured me on my new date (next Monday) that all would be done, a loaner would be available and all would be good.

Received a call this morning saying that they don’t do the daughterboard on request, and only if they see it’s needed, will they then order it. Also no loaner.

This is from the same Tesla that let me drive out last year with a nail in my tire causing a slow puncture. They claimed “it’s because it’s cold”

I am beyond frustrated at this point. Great cars. Terrible customer service. For anyone spending 100k on a new S or X I pity you.

This is my LAST Tesla. I will never again own one and have yet to decide will I sell this one now or do I wait till next year when used prices will go up here (assuming VAT and excise is due on U.K. imported sales)

Regards

One angry ELM

UPDATE:
    No loaner available. I have to wait there.

No possibility to do daughter board upgrade as it’s “not an upgradable part”

Spoke to Juliette and Philip two weeks ago and Tariq today.

I will most likely not have this car very long. They won’t do the upgrade and I’m not happy taking the risk with the mcu1 failing at the side of the road. — feeling sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Are you paying for the daughterboard upgrade or is it a warranty issue you're logging?

paying (well not paying as they wont do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Besides the daughterboard surely everything else can be sorted at another garage?

In my view they are doing you a favour not doing the daughterboard. There really is no need until you are getting several signs of problems. You will not get stuck with a dead MCU1 out of the blue. I had some very minor signs myself (that they confirmed from their analysis of my logs) and it was replaced under warranty when they got the part in (took a few weeks)

You really should get the tyres done elsewhere anyway. Easier, quicker, better job done by specialists who do this all the time and likely to save yourself several hundred euro

From any garage, not ringing you back when they promised they would is unprofessional and not acceptable. It's not my own experience with Tesla Sandyford though and like yourself I have also dealt with Juliette, Philip and Tariq. See my thread for my experience. Which has generally been quite positive. I always require a loaner car if the work is taking more than a couple of hours and I always got one. Loaners were all free of charge as most of my work (apart from the CCS upgrade) has been warranty work, free of charge

It could be sorted somewhere else but I want it done in Tesla in one place for ease and convenience.

I'm paying for the work so I don't understand why they wont do it. They confirmed over the air that the MCU is performing as expected (but having seen what is "within spec" I don't put much stock in their diagnosis)

I love the car but I hate the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

What garage would give you a loaner car for changing some tyres ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Having scanned this thread it wouldn't be difficult to find a tad of schadenfreude in the non-Tesla, Non IONIQ EV owners who have often been at the receiving end of what could be construed as pretty disparaging remarks on not owning a Tesla or a IONIQ, or paying too much etc ( look at the great deal I DID etc ) by said owners and their acolytes.
    This is my LAST Tesla. I will never again own one and have yet to decide will I sell this one now or do I wait till next year when used prices will go up here (assuming VAT and excise is due on U.K. imported sales)

Regards

One angry ELM

I will most likely not have this car very long. They won’t do the upgrade and I’m not happy taking the risk with the mcu1 failing at the side of the road. — feeling sick.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

Having scanned this thread it wouldn't be difficult to find a tad of schadenfreude in the non-Tesla, Non IONIQ EV owners who have often been at the receiving end of what could be construed as pretty disparaging remarks on not owning a Tesla or a IONIQ, or paying too much etc ( look at the great deal I DID etc ) by said owners and their acolytes.

But isn't it great that people are being honest - there's huge value in that!

• Advertisement

Expensive cars go wrong expensively.

The only surprise is that Tesla don't want your money. Yet.

In my experience, all main dealers give terrible customer service. The joy comes from the independents. The ones I've used usually have various race cars sitting in sheds out back. They're enthusiasts.

Unfortunately Tesla doesn't supply parts to third parties, which ought to be illegal. Double unfortunately, the mainstream manufacturers see the Tesla model and will seek to emulate it. The drip drip of revenue is irresistible to the capitalist mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement