Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What ELM got next!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Best of luck with it, fantastic looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So just off the phone with Tesla and they confirmed the update was successfully pushed and received by the car, no need for a ranger visit,
    Will test it myself on way home to be sure, but it seems like the DC charging issue is now resolved

Covered on warranty (thanks to being a CPO car), had been warned by PM on facebook of others being charged for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭The Mist

ELM327 wrote: »
    Cheers! No free supercharging. Looks like the car was initially sold with free AP but Tesla removed it as a CPO car. I won't need it much anyway so don't mind paying.

I will always call the BS and will continue to do so, don't worry!

I don't have a fear of flying, but it was a lot easier to get the ferry. As a larger gentleman I prefer the comfort of club class lounge on the ferry vs a cramped ryanair seat.

as for photos, here's two I put on FB earlier. On the ferry on the way back, and the DC issue this morning!
    74164793_10158268138319528_6123019172336107520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQnYbmYiPrK8QiVUlg5uA33lIh7OjtyGDa2ZF4EeQCyQZ1ITl2YY09H-8jPiXAyA5B8&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=5a1375cf8db4a60367945dade6adfde1&oe=5E5FAF42
    76609904_10158269547879528_7971276825395462144_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQnXtHB0jAg1eJA-iN0vDRYSl_Pzm5r5xOW19I2aYWxapR4xUmL8oOmXF9RTp0aixy4&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=19d33db48bea93cdb21b1b66fd8c4986&oe=5E59CEA8
    Absolute beauty!! :)

Charged on CCS at Navan FCP last night successfully.
    The V5 document arrived yesterday too and have VRT appt booked for 3 weeks time in Kells.

It's all coming into place!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Nice. Well wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What speed do you get on the ESB EFACEC CCS, I presume 50kW up to a fairly high SOC, just like Ioniq?

unkel wrote: »
    What speed do you get on the ESB EFACEC CCS, I presume 50kW up to a fairly high SOC, just like Ioniq?

I didnt stay long enough to check, it was at 37kW in the cold at 75% SOC in the ~1 minute I was there!

I get ya - just testing CCS was working

We need a lot more narrative from you here though :)

And as you know, some in here (myself included) would be particularly interested in how you find it in your day to day driving compared to Ioniq

I get ya - just testing CCS was working

We need a lot more narrative from you here though :)

And as you know, some in here (myself included) would be particularly interested in how you find it in your day to day driving compared to Ioniq

I think that testing it speaks for itself. I wont be using it again until probably christmas when I go to the outlaws in wexford and I charge at Ionity.

I charge to 50% at home and to 90% at work (so if the work charger is not available, I can go back home and charge overnight)

Regards to comparing to the Ioniq, there is no comparison. The Ioniq did what it does very well, but the Tesla is in a different league. It's not quite at BMW/Audi premium level but it's still premium feeling.
    The AP1 with EAP works super well on the motorway compared to the weaknesses of the Ioniq (eg driving in the left lane it doesnt pull you to the off ramp). The Tesla even adjusts your speed and takes flyovers very well.

The added functionality of having an app is brilliant, that was the major let down with the Ioniq. Not to mention my real world 90% to 10% range at motorway speeds with heating on and random hooning is about 300-325km. And that's at this time of year with no/irregular preheating from the mains.

I'm still getting used to the excess of range but I am happy (seems such a small word to describe the sheer adulation I have) with the car and the decision. Have my pick of Ionity/Tesla for longer journeys and up to 375-400km (at 100%) range leaving home to boot.

My commute (120km), my regular weekend trips (round trips 160-200km), my trips to various family members (round trips 100-250km) and to our regular hotel (220km each way with destination charging) are now all comfortably within range. And that is a great comfort to have. Also there's enough tricks, gadgets and easter eggs to show off (or use practically, summon is great for parking beside trees where there is room to park but not open doors for instance) to keep me entertained. I haven't kept a car for more than 9-12 months in a long time but I think this may be the one!

Unless they release the pickup!!

EDIT to add: The next thing I want to check is the charging rate from <10% to 90% at Ionity. I think the nearest one to me is Athlone (unless they open Kill/Gormanston! soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Sure seems alot to throw down on a depreciating asset.

The non-depreciating asset has yet to be invented. Esp vehicular.

Ask any 911 owner :rolleyes::rolleyes:

@ELM327 - well wear btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'm still getting used to the excess of range but I am happy

I could be wrong but I sense you're relatively happy with your new wheels then?
    :D

Congrats & well wear :).

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

looks looks unreal, congrats!!

Just curious if you considered the model 3?

I've a merceded c350e hybrid and hate when the engine kicks in, cant afford to upgrade yet, but am interested in people opinons of a new model 3 vs used model s seeign as prices are similar

I had considered strongly a model 3 performance, even had one ordered.
    But the fact it's a saloon vs a hatch and missing the comfort of a larger car, meant the S90D was a better option.

For me it was very much a "used S vs new 3" debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lam interested in people opinons of a new model 3 vs used model s seeign as prices are similar

The Model 3 feels like a much smaller car on the road, and this is particularly noticable in tight car parks. Whether that's a problem depends on your driving skill and what you're used to.

Performance wise there's not much in it in terms of perception, you'll get used to whatever you have, and most of the S's advantage is dependent on driving modes and state of charge.

Having an extra screen in the Model S is better.

The S looks better and has more "presence". It's The Daddy.

The 3 charges faster at DC fast chargers like Ionity (I think).

The S has more interior colours available.

There's a vague sense that the 3 is better put together, but that's probably psychological.

To be honest most of what Lumen says above is spot on.
    I do think that , spec for spec, the S is faster.
    As in, the LR vs LR, SR vs SR , P vs P etc

My S90D (which is slower than the new raven LR) has a 4.2 0-60 time.

With your very high yearly mileage and your regular long trips you found out that a short range EV just doesn't cut it for you (but I guess that was before Ionity chargers, any of the new 50kW commercial chargers and any expansion of the ESB network or the CCS option for Teslas). But even with all those extra chargers, you really need a long range EV. And you got a great deal - basically you bought the car from Tesla with some CPO warranty left on it and you paid no more than you would have paid from a third party dealer (with no warranty)

Model 3 is a small semi-premium saloon, no bigger than the BMW 3-series on the inside (which is as small as a D-segment size car gets - the previous model, just replaced, is about the same width as Ioniq for rear passengers). Model S is a full size semi-premium car (I would qualify the newest models as premium). With a hatchback, which is just so practical for modern family living imho. Throw in a washing machine in the boot, a bike, a solar panel, all fine and with a saloon you just can't. And forget it if you have a dog.

S90D has very similar acceleration to the 3 LR AWD. You honestly wouldn't notice the difference.
    Regards to comparing to the Ioniq, there is no comparison. The Ioniq did what it does very well, but the Tesla is in a different league. It's not quite at BMW/Audi premium level but it's still premium feeling.
    The AP1 with EAP works super well on the motorway compared to the weaknesses of the Ioniq (eg driving in the left lane it doesnt pull you to the off ramp). The Tesla even adjusts your speed and takes flyovers very well.

The added functionality of having an app is brilliant, that was the major let down with the Ioniq. Not to mention my real world 90% to 10% range at motorway speeds with heating on and random hooning is about 300-325km. And that's at this time of year with no/irregular preheating from the mains.

I'd love a Model S, but it's much harder for me to justify getting one as I simply don't need it as much as you do. I could do with the 7 seat option occasionally. And I could do with a bit more space in the back as the kids are reaching adult size in the next few years. I don't really care that much about any apps or gimmicks but I appreciate the tech like OTA updates and in particular the AP1. I only tested it very briefly (also in a '16 facelift S90D, exactly like your car), but could you tell me if it keeps working if you take your hands off the wheel (unlike Ioniq, where you have to trick the car into thinking you're still holding the wheel)? Wasn't that impressed with AP2.5 in the Model 3 I drove. Although the automatic start after having come to a stop in very busy traffic (or traffic light) is a big bonus. Your S have that too?

Would also be worried about expensive issues out of warranty. With Ioniq I still have bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty for another nearly 2.5 years. I much prefer the looks of the facelift model and I don't need more than the basic range cars and don't need AWD. But the prices are still outside of my comfort zone really, although I came close to buying a very nice '15 CPO AP1 / 7 seater on Irish plates earlier this year, I didn't want to go over €37k while the seller wanted €40k (it was advertised initially at €55k)

Sorry long post, but I would really appreciate the answers to above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Thanks fro replies, both loks great cars, think I'll be debating with myself for the next 18 months about which is will be my preference

With your very high yearly mileage and your regular long trips you found out that a short range EV just doesn't cut it for you (but I guess that was before Ionity chargers, any of the new 50kW commercial chargers and any expansion of the ESB network or the CCS option for Teslas). But even with all those extra chargers, you really need a long range EV. And you got a great deal - basically you bought the car from Tesla with some CPO warranty left on it and you paid no more than you would have paid from a third party dealer (with no warranty)

Model 3 is a small semi-premium saloon, no bigger than the BMW 3-series on the inside (which is as small as a D-segment size car gets - the previous model, just replaced, is about the same width as Ioniq for rear passengers). Model S is a full size semi-premium car (I would qualify the newest models as premium). With a hatchback, which is just so practical for modern family living imho. Throw in a washing machine in the boot, a bike, a solar panel, all fine and with a saloon you just can't. And forget it if you have a dog.

S90D has very similar acceleration to the 3 LR AWD. You honestly wouldn't notice the difference.

I'd love a Model S, but it's much harder for me to justify getting one as I simply don't need it as much as you do. I could do with the 7 seat option occasionally. And I could do with a bit more space in the back as the kids are reaching adult size in the next few years. I don't really care that much about any apps or gimmicks but I appreciate the tech like OTA updates and in particular the AP1. I only tested it very briefly (also in a '16 facelift S90D, exactly like your car), but could you tell me if it keeps working if you take your hands off the wheel (unlike Ioniq, where you have to trick the car into thinking you're still holding the wheel)? Wasn't that impressed with AP2.5 in the Model 3 I drove. Although the automatic start after having come to a stop in very busy traffic (or traffic light) is a big bonus. Your S have that too?

Would also be worried about expensive issues out of warranty. With Ioniq I still have bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty for another nearly 2.5 years. I much prefer the looks of the facelift model and I don't need more than the basic range cars and don't need AWD. But the prices are still outside of my comfort zone really, although I came close to buying a very nice '15 CPO AP1 / 7 seater on Irish plates earlier this year, I didn't want to go over €37k while the seller wanted €40k (it was advertised initially at €55k)

Sorry long post, but I would really appreciate the answers to above :)

We - blended family - have 2 kids that spend half the time with us. 9 and 13, so out of car seats and we don't intend on a third so there was plenty of room in the Ioniq but the S is vast and spacious :D It removes the "you're touching me" or "youre on my half" arguments :D:D

Re AP1, it's much better than the Ioniq. It takes the known bugs in the Ioniq (filter lanes to the left for example) adds lane change - very handy and almost at human level, and adds much better dealing with stop go traffic. You don't have to press the accelerator to resume unless you've been stopped for several minutes

The nagging is still there, but I like it compared to Ioniq. Ioniq goes from nothing to beeping. The AP1 goes from soft flashing on the background, faster flashing, then beeps. But the intervals are much longer, and - the most important part - resting your hand at 5 o clock on the wheel with left hand on the armrest (apparently my natural driving position on motorways) means no nags at all. In the ioniq this was not sufficient.

I'm only really concerned about the MCU issues out of warranty. Realistically if that goes in 6 months it's going to cost a few k. But I hope by then to wrangle an MCU2 upgrade out of it. Other than that it's a few hundred here or there, which, on a car that cost 100k new is not unexpected. (If you've owned any older 7 series, S class, etc you'll know the bills are the same even after the purchase price comes down)

Have the VRT appointment on the 28th November.

Re AP1, it's much better than the Ioniq. It takes the known bugs in the Ioniq (filter lanes to the left for example) adds lane change - very handy and almost at human level, and adds much better dealing with stop go traffic. You don't have to press the accelerator to resume unless you've been stopped for several minutes

The nagging is still there, but I like it compared to Ioniq. Ioniq goes from nothing to beeping. The AP1 goes from soft flashing on the background, faster flashing, then beeps. But the intervals are much longer, and - the most important part - resting your hand at 5 o clock on the wheel with left hand on the armrest (apparently my natural driving position on motorways) means no nags at all. In the ioniq this was not sufficient.

My natural driving position on motorways too :D

I'd say the coca cola method probably works fine too, or a sock with a few coins (that's what my mate uses in his Model 3)
    I'm only really concerned about the MCU issues out of warranty. Realistically if that goes in 6 months it's going to cost a few k. But I hope by then to wrangle an MCU2 upgrade out of it. Other than that it's a few hundred here or there, which, on a car that cost 100k new is not unexpected. (If you've owned any older 7 series, S class, etc you'll know the bills are the same even after the purchase price comes down)

You see I had an excellent BMW indy and none of the cars I owned ever had a big repair bill except for major suspension work on the 7er costing a bit over a grand, which I knew was coming and I went ahead with as I planned to keep the car for another while

If there were Tesla indies around, I'd have more confidence. But I'd say places that will sell you a refurbished MCU board in exchange for your own will start to emerge (probably already there in the states). It will just take some time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I paid (38k gbp/43k eur

Mine is a 2016 facelift 90D, and would estimate it would be listed at well over 50 here.

The big question is what you would hope/expect the car to be worth in 3 years time!

I'd love to man-math my way into a 3 or a used S but I just can't help but fear that the €48k (after vrt) I'd pay would only be worth €15k in 3 years and I'd have spent well over €10k a year for the priveledge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'd love to man-math my way into a 3 or a used S but I just can't help but fear that the €48k (after vrt) I'd pay would only be worth €15k in 3 years and I'd have spent well over €10k a year for the priveledge!
    The odds of a 3 year old Model 3 being avaiable for €15k seem rather slim unless Tesla (or someone else) bring to market a €25k car with a 50kWh battery.

Oh wait, the Zoe 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

So following on from the other posts , I picked up my Tesla yesterday.
    <snip>

Only catching up on this thread now! Congrats! Well wear! Delighted for you! Give me a shout when you're upgrading ;):D:D

Lumen wrote: »
    The odds of a 3 year old Model 3 being avaiable for €15k seem rather slim

+1

Model 3, although being overpriced imho, will keep its value well. I'd say you'd do extremely well to pick up a late 22 reg in 3 years time for under €25k (will probably be a lot more)

Model S, we will have to see. The very early cars will be out of all warranties in the USA early next year. How the values react there might be an indicator. Also if there are independent places popping up that can fix out of warranty issues

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The big question is what you would hope/expect the car to be worth in 3 years time!

if it costs 10k a year then so be it. I can afford the repayments.
    I'm expecting to trade in/sell in 3-4 years for a model X. Or the pickup.

But to be honest I have saved 10k off buying the same car in Ireland. The miles are high and will be at 250k+ miles when I go to sell so there's depreciation there too. I got it at 38k and the order sheet for my car was just under 80k new. So it's already depreciated over 50%.

Only catching up on this thread now! Congrats! Well wear! Delighted for you! Give me a shout when you're upgrading ;):D:D
    Cheers!
    How's my Ioniq doing!

The miles are high and will be at 250k+ miles when I go to sell

Very few cars can do that sort of miles like the Model S, without major maintenance and you will have saved yourself a fortune on fuel. Over 300k km, your saving on fuel alone compared to a large diesel vehicle is about €20k

You sure bought the right car for you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

picked my 2015 model s 90d up about 2 weeks before ELM, so ill give a similar account here, if that's alright.

same purchase situation, waited a month, heard nothing despite numerous calls and emails.

got my delivery date 4.5 weeks after deposit paid, I had the car sent to Manchester. flew with the woman and 2 kids, 40e, got a taxi to tesla manchetser, £20, viewed car, loved it, 30 min demo, car axtually had an airbag fault recall that hadn't been fixed, they fixed it on the spot, took about 40 mins.

jumped in the car and headed to Holyhead, about 1.45, that cost 190e for car and 4 of us, free charging on board. grand.

I don't have the css retro done on mine, so gonna get an adaptor.

so far.... ****ing love it, like elm I have had big petrol cars in the past, skylines, chasers, lexus 430, nothing comes close to the feeling of the model s.

I work for esb so we have free chargers in work, I do have a 7,3kw charger at home if required also.

so far, best car ive ever driven.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    I don't have the css retro done on mine, so gonna get an adaptor.

Doesn't the adaptor cost about the same or only slightly less? I'd get the CCS retro done for convenience.

Doesn't the adaptor cost about the same or only slightly less? I'd get the CCS retro done for convenience.
    Mine came with it done because I asked before purchase and kept nagging them. It turned out to be free too.

The CCS adapter is the same price as the chademo one but allows 150kW vs 45kW on chademo. Definitely get the CCS retro done!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Cheers!
    How's my Ioniq doing!

Fantastic! Such an upgrade from the old Leaf24!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Model 3, although being overpriced imho, will keep its value well.
    But to be honest I have saved 10k off buying the same car in Ireland. The miles are high and will be at 250k+ miles when I go to sell so there's depreciation there too. I got it at 38k and the order sheet for my car was just under 80k new. So it's already depreciated over 50%.

So at a guess, what do you reckon a 2016, €50k Model S will be selling for in 3 years?

PS the CPO cars come with 4 years warranty don't they? So in 3 years it would still have a year left to entice another buyer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement