Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

What ELM got next!

  • 06-11-2019 12:02pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    So following on from the other posts , I picked up my Tesla yesterday.
    The process was not straight forward so I'm going to put a detailed writeup in the hope that I can help others thinking the same. I ordered a CPO car direct from Tesla.



    The purchase:
    "Buy Now".Online, easy, direct from Tesla, pay the deposit on a credit card. Ignore the disclaimer at the bottom of the listing. They will sell to Irish buyers, they just won't ship it to Dublin.


    Finance: Tesla will not help with finance, you need to have the funds or get your own loan. Word to the wise, I could not get finance for a car on UK plates in Ireland.


    Communication: They will not contact you, you must contact them. Repeatedly and often



    Travelling over: Manchester South is located right beside heaton chapel train station. With sail and rail it is only 40 quid to go over , and another 40 quid to stay in the Travelodge at Holyhead. Much more relaxed than flying. If you go club class (18 quid) you get a nice lounge, better wifi, nice food and complimentary coffee + snacks. Arrived at holyhead around 1am and checked in to the travelodge.



    Getting to Tesla: Up at 8am, 3 trains and a 10 minute walk later, I arrived at Tesla Manchester.


    Service centre experience: Nice coffee and snacks, loads of model 3, lovely raven model X on display (my next one!!). Given full walkthrough of car. They let me off without the type 2 cable so I had to go back. They also didnt give me the V5 doc as agreed on the phone so are posting it to me. Staff very very friendly but there seems some haphazardness.



    The drive home: 2 hours from Manchester to Holyhead. Enjoy :)


    I've owned many fast cars in my time, big v8s, jdm v6s, supercharged, turbocharged, drag racing crate engined cars, the lot. Nothing matches the take off in this. It feels like a roller coaster. And I don't even have a performance model, standard S90D only!


    (I'm having an issue in that the car will not DC charge - but as I bought from Tesla I'm happy to have the warranty)


«1345678

Comments

  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 6,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭ liamog


    Well wear ELM327, now that your a paid up member of the Teslarati, I expect you to start dumping on all other EVs! Especially those from premium manufacturers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ zilog_jones


    ELM327 wrote: »
    Word to the wise, I could not get finance for a car on UK plates in Ireland.
    What options are there when buying a car (and dealer is not offering finance) besides getting a bank loan? I wasn't aware of anything else when I imported a car from the UK - I got a bank loan and although I said it was for a car, they didn't really care what I did with the money.
    They also didnt give me the V5 doc as agreed on the phone so are posting it to me.

    What was their reasoning for this? I'd be very reluctant to leave the dealer without the V5 in my hand. I've heard of too many stories of painful experiences with UK dealers doing the wrong thing in this situation. If it got lost in the post it would be a pain in the arse.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    What options are there when buying a car (and dealer is not offering finance) besides getting a bank loan? I wasn't aware of anything else when I imported a car from the UK - I got a bank loan and although I said it was for a car, they didn't really care what I did with the money.



    What was their reasoning for this? I'd be very reluctant to leave the dealer without the V5 in my hand. I've heard of too many stories of painful experiences with UK dealers doing the wrong thing in this situation. If it got lost in the post it would be a pain in the arse.


    It's difficult to find a bank these days to give unsecured finance for a 50k purchase.


    It was a mistake on their part, the v5, but I could not turn back again or I would have missed my ferry. So I accepted the posting of it. It's not like a private seller, I'm pretty sure I can accept Tesla's word to post it to me!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ Mike9832


    CPO

    Nice

    Thought you got from a private dealer, cpo much better, good choice there

    Do you have free supercharging or that gone?

    Glad you finally got a proper EV, always liked your posts, didn't sugar coat your experiences with ioniq, Leaf etc, kept it real


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    Well wear, we need pics too :)

    And yeah the performance of the S90D is pretty decent. Similar to Model 3 LR AWD and probably quicker off the line than most of today's supercars (who will eventually overtake you). I have driven both, but have yet to try out ludicrous mode in a Tesla
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Getting to Tesla: Up at 8am, 3 trains and a 10 minute walk later, I arrived at Tesla Manchester.

    Bloody hell, you are some masochist. Why on earth did you not just fly over, unless of course you have a fear of flying?

    Last car I picked up in the UK (also in Manchester) My flight (about €30) left Dublin at 19:30. Picked up the car, drove to Liverpool and took the overnight sailing (about €100 including a hot meal, clean private cabin with shower and hot breakfast in the morning). Was back home before 11:00 in the morning.

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    Mike9832 wrote: »
    CPO

    Nice

    Thought you got from a private dealer, cpo much better, good choice there

    Do you have free supercharging or that gone?

    Glad you finally got a proper EV, always liked your posts, didn't sugar coat your experiences with ioniq, Leaf etc, kept it real

    Cheers! No free supercharging. Looks like the car was initially sold with free AP but Tesla removed it as a CPO car. I won't need it much anyway so don't mind paying.

    I will always call the BS and will continue to do so, don't worry!
    unkel wrote: »
    Well wear, we need pics too

    And yeah the performance of the S90D is pretty decent. Similar to Model 3 LR AWD and probably quicker off the line than most of today's supercars (who will eventually overtake you). I have driven both, but have yet to try out ludicrous mode in a Tesla



    Bloody hell, you are some masochist. Why on earth did you not just fly over, unless of course you have a fear of flying?

    Last car I picked up in the UK (also in Manchester) My flight (about €30) left Dublin at 19:30. Picked up the car, drove to Liverpool and took the overnight sailing (about €100 including a hot meal, clean private cabin with shower and hot breakfast in the morning). Was back home before 11:00 in the morning.

    I don't have a fear of flying, but it was a lot easier to get the ferry. As a larger gentleman I prefer the comfort of club class lounge on the ferry vs a cramped ryanair seat.

    as for photos, here's two I put on FB earlier. On the ferry on the way back, and the DC issue this morning!
    74164793_10158268138319528_6123019172336107520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQnYbmYiPrK8QiVUlg5uA33lIh7OjtyGDa2ZF4EeQCyQZ1ITl2YY09H-8jPiXAyA5B8&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=5a1375cf8db4a60367945dade6adfde1&oe=5E5FAF42
    76609904_10158269547879528_7971276825395462144_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQnXtHB0jAg1eJA-iN0vDRYSl_Pzm5r5xOW19I2aYWxapR4xUmL8oOmXF9RTp0aixy4&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=19d33db48bea93cdb21b1b66fd8c4986&oe=5E59CEA8


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    So I may have established what is causing the lack of DC fast charging
    I googled the error message and found this
    https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-s-ccs-upgrade-done-uk.158982/

    Essentially it looks like they didnt check a box after the CCS upgrade. Ugh.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    That's good news. Looks like Tesla UK made a beginners mistake here. I'd say they haven't done too many CCS installs yet. I presume they can do that remotely or will they send out the mobile service man?

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    Just off the phone to Tesla Dublin. Over the air fix coming. They saw the log. Apparently the car will receive the update in 48 hours


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    Some strong cons in owning a Tesla (once it is out of warranty), but lots and lots of pros too. I guess I will have to just wait a while longer for them to be a bit more comfortably within reach for me financially :(

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭ tw0nk


    ELM327 wrote: »
    Just off the phone to Tesla Dublin. Over the air fix coming. They saw the log. Apparently the car will receive the update in 48 hours

    that is pretty cool


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    It sure is, but sure let's see what happens in 2 days time.
    I only have 11kW AC so it's pretty painful with no DC support. Interestingly supercharging should still work, just non tesla DC doesnt right now. So I can still take my trip to cork in a couple of weeks even if this is not sorted before.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    Did you get a 50k loan to buy the car ?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 gally74


    unkel wrote: »
    Well wear, we need pics too :)

    And yeah the performance of the S90D is pretty decent. Similar to Model 3 LR AWD and probably quicker off the line than most of today's supercars (who will eventually overtake you). I have driven both, but have yet to try out ludicrous mode in a Tesla



    Bloody hell, you are some masochist. Why on earth did you not just fly over, unless of course you have a fear of flying?

    Last car I picked up in the UK (also in Manchester) My flight (about €30) left Dublin at 19:30. Picked up the car, drove to Liverpool and took the overnight sailing (about €100 including a hot meal, clean private cabin with shower and hot breakfast in the morning). Was back home before 11:00 in the morning.

    Liverpool overnight is the best option,


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    gally74 wrote: »
    Liverpool overnight is the best option,

    Done it twice in the last few years with classic cars. Love it. The ferry is mainly for freight, mostly trailers only (no tractors) so no drivers. Very few people on board. It's very quiet on a week night. No frills, but clean. Get a few hours kip, a hot shower, a cooked breakfast and then go home after the morning rush hour is over. Very relaxing experience. Away from the madness of the hectic home for one night :D

    If only the second hand prices of EVs in the UK would not have gone through the roof in the past few years, I would have done it on a very regular basis.

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭ ewj1978


    My purchase loans advice: avantcard do 6% on loans over 20k. Simple straight forward process. Its a personal loan so its not actually tied to the car.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 gally74


    unkel wrote: »
    Done it twice in the last few years with classic cars. Love it. The ferry is mainly for freight, mostly trailers only (no tractors) so no drivers. Very few people on board. It's very quiet on a week night. No frills, but clean. Get a few hours kip, a hot shower, a cooked breakfast and then go home after the morning rush hour is over. Very relaxing experience. Away from the madness of the hectic home for one night :D

    If only the second hand prices of EVs in the UK would not have gone through the roof in the past few years, I would have done it on a very regular basis.

    Yep, Ive done most options, but its by far the best, the outlet mall in cheshire is a great place for a few hours, food is good, no huge queues, and the sleep is oh some welcome,

    Think i might have been a merchant marine in a different life,


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    gally74 wrote: »
    the outlet mall in cheshire is a great place for a few hours

    I'll think about that one the next time, thanks. Somehow I thought that was near Manchester. Only half an hours drive from the port. Only open till 22:00 though. Still a long wait till it sails :D

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    ELM327 wrote: »
    So following on from the other posts , I picked up my Tesla yesterday.
    The process was not straight forward so I'm going to put a detailed writeup in the hope that I can help others thinking the same. I ordered a CPO car direct from Tesla.

    Nice one, I'm jealous as hell , well wear ! :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭ Petetheroadie


    Mad_Lad wrote: »
    Nice one, I'm jealous as hell , well wear ! :D

    Same! Congrats Elm!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭ zoom_cool


    Best of luck with the new wheels it looks nice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭ 80sDiesel


    ewj1978 wrote: »
    My purchase loans advice: avantcard do 6% on loans over 20k. Simple straight forward process. Its a personal loan so its not actually tied to the car.

    Sure seems alot to throw down on a depreciating asset.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    80sDiesel wrote: »
    Sure seems alot to throw down on a depreciating asset.


    It does but you can't take it with you
    For the repayments it is working out for me the exact same as PCP monthly on an Audi/BMW similar car (A6/5 series) + my fuel costs. But with the associated savings an EV brings (tolls, tax etc).


    I'd be lying if I said this made financial sense. I didnt even try to convince herself of that!


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    80sDiesel wrote: »
    Did you get a 50k loan to buy the car ?
    Not fully financed, I borrowed approx 40k of the purchase price.
    I intend to pay this down aggressively with RSU shares vesting annually each year and bonuses etc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,516 ✭✭✭✭ Idbatterim


    ELM327 wrote: »
    It does but you can't take it with you
    For the repayments it is working out for me the exact same as PCP monthly on an Audi/BMW similar car (A6/5 series) + my fuel costs. But with the associated savings an EV brings (tolls, tax etc).


    I'd be lying if I said this made financial sense. I didnt even try to convince herself of that!

    50 k or whatever is quite a lot , but the biggest issue is , depreciation. I take it that it would be way less than a new a6 /5 5 series at this stage and that you imported and got it for quite a bit cheaper than you would have here ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    Idbatterim wrote: »
    50 k or whatever is quite a lot , but the biggest issue is , depreciation. I take it that it would be way less than a new a6 /5 5 series at this stage and that you imported and got it for quite a bit cheaper than you would have here ?
    I reckon I "saved" approx 10k on buying the same car here.
    For the purchase price I paid (38k gbp/43k eur) on donedeal there is a 2014 nosecone model with no AP.


    For the purchase price + vrt , so estimate 5k conservatively, 48k EUR total.
    For that you can have a 2016 nosecone S70D.


    Mine is a 2016 facelift 90D, and would estimate it would be listed at well over 50 here.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭ krissovo


    80sDiesel wrote: »
    Sure seems alot to throw down on a depreciating asset.

    Not everyone wants to drive a 10 year old skoda or toyota, plus the bones of 50k has been absorbed.

    Sweet ride, wear well!


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel


    What happened with your insurance driving in the UK on UK plates, did your current insurer cover you after all or did you have to chance insurer?

    "Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022



  • Registered Users Posts: 17,907 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    unkel wrote: »
    What happened with your insurance driving in the UK on UK plates, did your current insurer cover you after all or did you have to chance insurer?


    I couldnt get insured (idiots), nor could I get the one day insurance in the UK as all of the companies don't cover Teslas.
    So I got a friend with UK third party extension to drive it back. He didnt want to be mentioned so I have not done so in any posts etc - facebook or here.


    I think that's enough said about the insurance issue if you catch my drift. It's now covered fully comp in my name here and I can drive it legally so that's sorted anyway.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭ jusmeig


    ELM327 wrote: »
    Just off the phone to Tesla Dublin. Over the air fix coming. They saw the log. Apparently the car will receive the update in 48 hours

    This is the reason I want to buy a Tesla -> that is excellent!


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement