Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

The other ones connected to DC either finished charging and the car stopped the charging process, either stopped from the app but didn't moved the cars due to some reasons like prime parking position.

Yesterday it was a bad day for me as beside Blanch I stopped in Dundrum. At the ecars 2 out of 4 were EVs parked without even trying to fake that they are charging, probably for the same reason, prime parking during busy season. Not enforcing rules erodes compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭McGiver

Exactly.

4x50 kW is a better value and utility.

And the 2x22 kW thrown everywhere is a waste. Make it 7 kW and increase number of connectors 3 fold.

AC separate to DC. DC can have 2x11/22 kW as a back up close to it though. Common practice in countries with more decent networks.

Yes but that doesn't square up with the grid issue I mentioned. And power supply issues. And getting paperwork for power supply changed/upgraded.

Needs cutting red tape, incentives etc so that this can be done quickly.

The gov has done nothing as usual and only reacts ex post.

Hard disagree.

Netherlands and Austria are littered with AC and it's all 11 kW (or 7 kW). 22 kW is rare because only few Tesla models and Renault can take it. I would wish 22 kW AC was the standard in EVs but the reality is that 11 kW is the standard now and I don't think it's going to change.

From that perspective 2x22 kW AC is a waste of resources and taxpayer's money. 90%+ EVs now and moving forward won't be able to use 22 kW from it so it makes no sense...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ahh I understand, I thought you were trying to say that all three spots were blocked because of people AC charging.

I find it particularly galling when EV owners block the chargers for other people they should know better. Its a pity that the centre stopped enforcing parking rules after people complained when they were caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Queues for Krispy Kreme can be over 45 minutes so it's bad luck to have that hub so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thank goodness for Krispy Kreme in Pavilions Swords now, with ESBs largest "hub" nearby 😂

(For those scratching their heads,. Pavilions has 10x22kW AC chargers, and can charge the most cars in parallel of any ESB site)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just checked the app and found that the 50kw at templeville was free. Flew straight up and managed to snag it.

Literally a minute later and a taxi pulled in. Told him I was going to be another 40 minutes. As he left a 2008 came in and I told him the same. Another couple of cars came in, saw I was there and drove straight back out. With 10 minutes to go a leaf came in and waited. Another 2008 pulled in the other side.

So in 45 minutes that was about 6 or 7 cars looking for a charge. It's only going to get busier and the amount of chargers isn't reflecting this.

As an aside, does anyone know the exact amount of 50kw chargers inside the M50? (ESB or others).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

All chargers are listed on plugshare app. Filter by CCS for example. Some sites have 2 chargers. Very few inside M50. Some easygo 50kW.

It's paltry when you look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

That's insane goings on at Templeville. Session started at 08:08 just now. eCars or EasyGo could get AC 7kW into areas where no off street parking is common.

Example being a picture of an Outlander charging on street with the cable being raised and hanging over the pavement. Lots of these areas have side streets with no dwellings that could be used for overnight AC charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The 50kw in Enniscorthy looks to be broken again but the 22kw side still works. I think it's the Chademo side that's out of action and that seems to be stopping the CCS from starting a charge

This seems to happen every three or four weeks, at this stage it must be someone damaging cables or connector somehow.

ESB app and website shows the Chademo side in use since Wednesday whenever I check it but We Charge shows it is actually offline.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Meanwhile half way between Dublin & Belfast, we have a Kona pulling off the CCS while an ID.3 pulls 11kW off the AC….

but as long as the shoppers going to Blanch have multiple Dc plugs available to them…..

the sh1tshow continues….

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's crazy right, I can't believe eCars added more chargers to the site that had higher DC usage before they decided to add it to one that was useful for me yesterday.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Careful now. Ecars spokesman has entered the chat.

I think the point is that thoroughfares have a shortage of units. I don't think anyone on a long drive is pulling into blanch to top up and hit the road again.

I wonder is Blanch DC charger that busy because it’s on the N3, just outside the M50, or is it busy because it’s at one of the countries largest shopping centre/retail parks…. and is an extremely handy spot in what is normally a very busy carpark…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

I wonder if there are a lot of people out there without home chargepoints installed?

I know of 2 guys who have EVs for a couple of years and don't have home chargepoints installed, I met another guy in Carrick on Shannon during the summer that told me he relied completely on public charging.

I'm moving to a new house (probably the start of 2023) with no driveway. House to car is 23 metres. Footpath is 3 metres.

We are applying for planning for a driveway (using the electric car as an excuse). Highly unlikely it will be granted.

Not sure what my options are then. Nearest charger is in a Tesco carpark (pay and display with a 2 hour limit) and is a 22kw one. Next closest is in ranelagh. Street parking (expensive) and is also a clearway so can't be used at certain times.

There's a large amount of EVs in the Dublin 15 area and also many townhouses without dedicated off street parking. Couple that with a high rental population and you end up with demand for a local charging hub. Blanch is busy at all times of the year.

eCars should be increasing the number of chargers at locations where there is highest demand not just those that are convenient for some users occasional inter county journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

i think i disagree.

eCars aren't going to be able to solve the problem of people not having dedicated driveways. or if they can solve it then creating 'hubs' isn't the way to do it. Lots of AC chargers in residential areas is the way to do that. Asking people to buy an electric car which they then have to drive out of their way to sit at a DC charger for 40mins once or twice a week...that's not going to fly.

Prioritising inter county travel is absolutely where eCars should be focusing their efforts IMO. Or better still, eCars can get out of that space and let someone competent in.

• Advertisement

eCars have one job, install chargers where they will make money selling electricity to drivers. You like most people here have mistaken a charging company for a national transport authority. The government should of course be encouraging the installation of charging hubs along inter county routes, but they don't.

Suburban/Urban charging hubs are being deployed in many places they are just one of the many weapons used to help solve peoples charging difficulties.

DC chargers is the only gig left in town for eCars as they said themselves they would not be installing any new AC charger sites.... which is fcuking madness!!!!!!!!

Their sole purpose now is half hearted and half working hubs.....

We got 1 hub* in 2021, maybe we'll get another in 2022

*Call them what you want but 2 DC units capable of DC charging 3 cars at once has no business being called a hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

I wouldn't even consider a house without a drive way.

EV or no EV !

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

Whatever she wants is a sad way to live.

I'd just sell the EV and buy a petrol.

But they are publicly funded, to do exactly the opposite of what you suggest.

Their remit is to install an adequate charging infrastructure for all, not to install a commercially viable charging network.

notice how EasyGo get an easy ride in their thread about when and where they place their chargers. Why? because they are 100% private. eCars are not, and as such are wide open to the scrutiny placed on them for their utterly pathetic sub standard publicly funded attempt at a network.

Ah to be fair it was a joint decision on the house and for the money and the area it was a "relative" bargain.

Planning will be submitted for a driveway and I'll fight them tooth and nail for it.

But they are publicly funded, to do exactly the opposite of what you suggest.

Their remit is to install an adequate charging infrastructure for all, not to install a commercially viable charging network.

Are they, that's news to me. What I saw was that a company that operates charging infrastructure applied to the Climate Action Fund for €10,000,000 to operate and upgrade a charging network that was previously owned by the CRU as a research project. We've not had any central transport planning to deliver an island wide network since the original CRU funded research network that was first operated by ESB on their behalf and then handed over to ESB.

notice how EasyGo get an easy ride in their thread about when and where they place their chargers. Why? because they are 100% private. eCars are not, and as such are wide open to the scrutiny placed on them for their utterly pathetic sub standard publicly funded attempt at a network.

That's down to people applying obligations to eCars that simply don't exist. It's the main reason I like to compare the eCars network to the charging network in Coventry. One of the networks is in Ireland and has a government who let a charging company do whatever it likes, the other has funded a city wide network and tendered out the operation of the network to an operator.

Both are provided by ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

"eCars have one job, install chargers where they will make money selling electricity to drivers."

is that true? given that they take public money i assumed that they have a remit to provide some level of public service. are there no strings attached to taking the 10m from the Climate Action Fund? if not then it's a fairly egregious handover of public money to a private enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's not actually the 40minute charge that's this issue, it's the queue and SPOF approach.

Also, DC charging for an EV is really for trips, not the routine way to best handle battery life, gentle AC charging should be the majority of charging

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement