Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options
1297298299300301303»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Few EVs hold their peak rates for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

This year probably are not that many. In 2-3 years time it is another story. First Ionity chargers are still relevant after 5 years of service and they are superior to these just installed by ESB. That's cheap in the long run. Then it is the point of overcharging. If they don't deliver >100kW they should charge Fast charging rates and not HPCs. Load sharing makes sense if it is done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,602 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, Ionity (and Tesla, Circle K, Applegreen) units are most definitely superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,547 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I wouldn't say the Applegreen units are superior. Maybe in the technical details, but they don't feel that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

The ABB units are sound. But need to be configured properly to provide the 180 kW peak. If they're not configured properly, then they are in fact only 90-100 kW peak. I haven't tried them here but I've read about experience in other EU countries with the same ABB units where the CPO didn't configure them properly for the 180 kW peak. AFAIR there needs to be additional cable purchased and used to provide the max A to give the 180 kW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

To be fair, as far as I know, there isn't a single EV sold in the EU as of now that could touch the 300 kW peak. The closest is the top battery Taycan with 270 kW peak for a few minutes (at ambient 30 C).

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I'm planning a trip through Wales over the summer and had a quick look to see what the charging infrastructure is like there. I was surprised to see that ESB have already installed Alpitronic HYC300 units capable of 300kW in the UK. Why aren't the ESB installing those here at new sites, even if they load share? There are plenty of EV's out there today that can use speeds of over 200kW (e.g. Tesla, Hyundai, Kia)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,602 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Difference between legacy subvention funded company in IE vs profit making in the UK. I very much suspect the ecars entity in Ireland is still loss making. Even including the fact that they got the ten-T and other pilot networks funded by the EU and Irish taxpayers handed to them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

77p(90c)/kWh is probably the reason. Higher prices means more likely to get the faster chargers. The grid operator over there might be more friendly to the installers than ESB are over here

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The programme of work that the current eCars network expansion is under is partially government funded. It went through a formal tendering process for equipment via e-tenders.

The ESB charging network in the UK operates differently, as a commercial bidder for OLEV site funding they have flexibility to pick and choose equipment per site.

• Advertisement

Another planning application for an 8 charger Hub at Airside

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/fingal/application-details/97841

Not really familiar with this car park. I always parked in the multistorey.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When you say multi-story, do you mean the Pavillions?

Whoever designed Airside Retail Park's carpark, should be shot with hardened balls of their own sh1te..

Nightmare car park. At least they've the good sense to place these chargers at the furthest spot from the shops, but there will still be a heavy ICEing risk here

I was thinking of the Pavilions you're right. Airside is across the road sort of. I can picture it now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Plugshare entry, coming "soon"

https://www.plugshare.com/location/619864

Personally,

I think it's far too soon to have a PlugShare entry for a site when only planning has been submitted… it just clogs up the map for a few years before ever going live..

When they break ground, yeah.. go for it, but when planning's just been submitted?? Nah, hold off a bit.

It'd be fine if Plugshare had a category for "future charge points" but they always end up under the "under maintenance" category which misleads

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Indeed. At least they placed them beside Entrance 2. Entrance 3 is always full of people trying to get into McDs. I assume they'll have to cordon off part of the car park now to allow 24 hour access to chargers, like they have done with McDs. Parking overnight used to be a big issue there but perhaps not an issue any more since the Wright Venue closed.

I still think adding the HPCs to Tesco Airside would have been a better idea. I've never seen the Tesco car park full (except for maybe Christmas Eve).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Anybody spot what the updated overstay terms are? Seems you can now get an overstay fee if you stop charging but stay connected.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Makes sense, people have been stopping the charge but not actually there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 outlyer

When I finished charging in Junction 14 Mayfield last night I noticed there was a "parking time" and a "charging time" displayed. As I was charging up to the moment I unplugged the parking time can only have been the time between plugging-in and starting the charging secession. The total of both times is what appears on my statement.

So it looks like the clock starts as soon as the charger detects it is plugged in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭wassie

What is it with MG Taxi drivers that they feel its ok having your arse hanging out causing an obstruction to oncoming traffic? I see this every week at ESB chargers.

This pic below at Blanch is actually taken after yer man pulled his car in a second time. His first attempt had the car halfway out of the bay on an angle, blocking not only the oncoming traffic, but also the green leaf beside him.

I get their charge port is at the front, but there is plenty of cable to park an extra foot or two inside the bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Couldn't agree more. Also planning permission is just that, permission. It's common enough for PP not to be acted upon

And as per above, it's only at the submission stage… so I was even wrong to mention planning permission… as it's not even that..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Silly question but can you use the esb charging network with just the ecars app (pay as you go) or do you need the charge point access card also?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭CivilEx

You can use it with just the app, but it's better to have the card with you in the car in case of any connectivity issues.

I once came across a taxi driver who couldn’t stop a charge because the eCars network went down and he didn’t have a card, only the app.

But once you sign up, they send you a card anyway so always worth keep it in the car…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

• Advertisement
Advertisement