Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It absolutely is.

56kWh pack, only 16a onboard charger. 3.3kW, would take exactly 17 hours (and that's excluding slow down at the top for tapering and balancing)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In fairness though if he arrived then at 0%, he was well entitled to a pint afterwards!!!

A stiff whisky probably more in order. But yeah, it doesnt charge at 16a continuous as theres tapering at the end so I'd say arriving at ~10% and going to "charge complete" would take 16 to 18 hours. Now as a disclaimer I've no idea what their onboard AC charger is. Could be 16a three phase, 32a single /triple phase or the 16a I mentioned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I would be more than 2 days charging at one of the stupid low ecars AC chargers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

Carnmore Cross, Galway 150kW online now, not sure if it's still in testing.

50kW still offline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭handpref

This is like throw back Wednesday, back to 2016 when good people ended up nit picking over trivial charging etiquette, all because e-cars let the network go to ruin and has since failed to provide a suitable network.

I would think that all the posters on this particular page (182) are knowledgeable ev advocates and the conversation regarding access to chargers and second guessing over charging times of LDV vans is only happening because of e-cars & government failings.

Scarcity of chargers is the problem, the easiest thing to do is blame (or unplug) the abandoned leaf, taxi who insists on charging to 100% or the courier company who for some reason seem to be dependent on a not fit for purpose charging infrastructure.

Maybe some day e-cars may read this thread and use the information, ideas, criticism and positive feedback to make the paradigm shift needed to power us into the future.

Meanwhile they are probably high fiving themselves over the recent Blanch project …

eCars facebook page today

ESB ecars

18 mins · 

📣 We have been working hard to get the following three charging sites live before Christmas. You can find them at the following locations:

📌 Glynns Service Station, Carnmore, Galway, H91 W9KH (less than 1km from Galway Airport)

⚡ There is one high power charger (150kW) and one fast charger (50kW) available at this location.

📌 Circle K Frankfield, Kinsale Road, Cork, T12 Y1YY

⚡ This site includes a 150kW Delta double sided charger (two CCS and two CHAdeMO connectors).

📌 Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin Docklands

⚡ At this site you will find two 50kW chargers (two CCS, two CHAdeMO connectors and two 22kW sockets).

⚡ We are also happy to announce that the ground markings at the site at Circle K/Centra in Rochestown, Cork have been completed.

📱 See our full charging network on our 'ecar connect' app (available on the App Store and Google Play) or our real-time map: https://esb.ie/ecars/charge-point-map

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So frankfield won't be a hub as promised?

Further hub locations planned include:

Oranmore, Co Galway

Lahey, Co Donegal

Rochestown, Co Cork

Frankfield, Co Cork

Blanchardstown Centre, Co Dublin

Ballysimon, Co Limerick

https://www.esb.ie/ecars/our-network/network-upgrades

How many 150kW does that make in total?

I'm hoping Carnmore is not Oranmore in disguise...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So the John Rogerson's Quay has 2 X 22kw as well as 2 X 50kw. So in theory 2 cars who are in the area for a while can both draw off the 22kw for 4 or 5 hours meaning the "quick" charge function is redundant.

Why bother putting 22kw on these chargers?

Also is it pay parking there also? Double whammy if you need a charge.

• Advertisement

Chat on Facebook is they were originally for slow chargers for Dublin smart cities but was given to ESB... Who butchered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

📌 Circle K Frankfield, Kinsale Road, Cork, T12 Y1YY

⚡ This site includes a 150kW Delta double sided charger (two CCS and two CHAdeMO connectors).

They must be space limited on this site that they chose that layout. If they had space they would surely have kept the 50kW unit and added this new 150kW unit.... i.e. same as Rochestown.

This dual side, single unit setup isnt a great layout, but its an improvement I suppose.

Carnmore and Rogerson's quay would make that 15 sites with multiple units. Rogerson's quay and the port are not 150kW or greater, and frankfield has a single 150kW unit so there's 14 sites with 150kW+ units. Units in total is probably 17 given mayfield.

Rogersons quay has to be the second most stupid place Anna has put chargers, second only to Blanch SC.

I know if I ever had to charge there (most unlikely), I wouldn't be paying for any parking, I'd simply be sat there waiting for the car to charge, and if I saw the parking warden coming I'd either be gone, or then throw a few yoyo's into teh parking machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of ecoexpress I have seen them at 50kW chargers in the middle of the day Apparently each van is it's own business and possibly drivers have no ability to home charge and no depot as such. They have some link to an post, but spending over 45 minutes (which I have seen them do), sitting in the van in the middle of a work day seems a crazy use of valuable time at peak delivery period. As suggested even with a depot the driver may not have a second vehicle. It just seems badly designed particularly if an overnight charge does not last a single day. Taking over a 1 hour lunch break and paying 5 euro overstay in addition to relatively expensive charging fees for a relatively big battery seems like bad business when they could potentially deliver 20 more parcels than going out of their way to find a charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Apologies for continuing my rant.

But today he is parked in the fast charger bay. ..... and he is not connected.

Can you just disconnect someone using the fast charger?

Earlier today someone was reversed up on the path where I was standing trying to connect .

But I see he got a present on the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It will be a taxi drivers paradise. Good luck trying to get to use it.

How do the ESB come up with these sites? Do they have a map of Dublin on a wall and every month they feck a dart at it. Wherever it lands gets a charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,241 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

They're taking the piss. Getting as bad as go-cars used to be.

I've met them plugging into the 50kW in Derry with the intention of going to 100%.

If they're on twitter, get after them and ask them to be more considerate of others. If they need to charge then they need to charge. But squatting on an AC for 17 hours or blocking a DC space without plugging in is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Don't celebrate yet.

Charging on the FCP CCS, pulling 26 kW, normally my car can do 49 kW at this SOC.

Thats because I guess there's an ID4 charging next to me on the HPC at 125 kW.

Site can't handle 150 kW + 50 kW = 200 kW max. It can probably handle 150 kW at best.

Not enough power supply on site???

If this is the standard of the "hubs" - 2 cars at the same at most due to stupid connector ratios and wrong parking layout and the power capped at 150 kW anyway, then I've nothing to add anymore...

They have since responded, apologised and said they'll address it.

So any repeats, let me know and I'll chase them up again.

I survived!

Poor services though. Shop had little for an on the road snack other than bars. Toilet would benefit from a seat, and a working drier. FFS.

No drama though. Great space there for a bunch of chargers if ever it was needed, but I can't see that happening given the history. Services would have to improve too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭eagerv

Did you not get the welcoming committee? ☺️

(The owners' vehicle doesn't appear to be at his usual parking spot beside the charging spots)

Actually heading down to Waterford in a few days, and will need a charge down there so that place is one of my Plan B sites!!!!!!!

There was a silver Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson beside it when I arrived.

Everyone inside seemed in good spirits, though there seemed to be about 5 people working there in a tiny shop

That's his probably. He likes VW though for some reason, but normally drops over for a chat..

Should be your plan A site, if even just for entertainment value..

Twas the reason I went there. Didn't get much entrainment though.

Needed to eat (I had a packed lunch, lol) and was down to about 100km with a 45km drive ahead without destination charging (3pin if I wanted), so I said what harm. I did buy a tea for me and a kinder surprise for the little one though.

Was coming from the hospital, so Bolton Street was an option, though less convenient for me leaving the city (going west).

• Advertisement

I’ll be passing Bolton St on the way down to my sister in passage East, and again when leaving to go home.

would prefer not to have to rely on Kilcullen at all if I can…. And if really stuck on the way home I might go for Ionity Kill for a first use of Ionity!!!!

Advertisement