Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    Haha sorry about that don’t know why it went upside down. Not sure of any new features but it looks better than previous version. Has updated the speed limits signs as some of the roads I drive had changed. Also has some of the motorway upgrades that the old version was missing. Haven’t had a chance to check it out properly. Will do later.

From the software version I found this:
    https://www.goingelectric.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22772
    Not many changes it seems:
    + 3D navigation system view is apparently retained when the car is switched off
    + cell phone battery info can now be seen on the phone screen during a phone call
    + access to engineer mode is possible. Entering 200731 and then time with 0731 was successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭zg3409

listermint wrote: »

I volunteered by ioniq. I know these guys, live local and fully support their aims. Just don't tell Hyundai!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I have a very vague recollection that in order to have an Ioniq preheated before a journey that it needs to be plugged into a charger? Is this correct?

If so, and I'm struggling to understand this, it means that if I leave it unplugged overnight with a 70% charge that I can't have it heated to 20 degrees before leaving the next morning?

Or have I got this wrong?

quenching wrote: »
    I have a very vague recollection that in order to have an Ioniq preheated before a journey that it needs to be plugged into a charger? Is this correct?

If so, and I'm struggling to understand this, it means that if I leave it unplugged overnight with a 70% charge that I can't have it heated to 20 degrees before leaving the next morning?

Or have I got this wrong?

Entirely correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Entirely correct

But I would guess you can plug it in and set it so it doesn't charge but will still preheat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

JPA wrote: »
    But I would guess you can plug it in and set it so it doesn't charge but will still preheat?

Yes, set it to charge only at off-peak hours, set those hours to a time after departure, and then it will not charge, only preheat (starting at some point about half an hour before the departure time you set).

Setup abrp with torque for my Ioniq this evening. Be more interesting to see it in action on a trip, but it's kinda neat.

Soc, elevation, position, battery temperature.
    Uses your battery level to judge when you'll need to charge and what soc you'll arrive with. Guess it uses battery temperature to judge how long you'll be charging, and adjusts range based on it.

Screenshot-2020-12-04-22-37-10-542-com-iternio-abrpapp-2.jpg

Screenshot-2020-12-04-22-41-34-132-com-iternio-abrpapp.jpg
    Abrp is being pretty tough on me there. Pretty much a full battery and it's saying after 97km I'll be at 15%!? Cold windy night I guess.

Also says CHAdeMO for me. Little glitch I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

My Ioniq is tripping my electricity on night time would this be a charge port problem.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    My Ioniq is tripping my electricity on night time would this be a charge port problem.

Your main fuse or the individual charge point rcbo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Your main fuse or the individual charge point rcbo?

Not the main fuse one of the smaller ones, sorry I’m not very technical.

Not the main fuse one of the smaller ones, sorry I’m not very technical.

If what is tripping is causing the car to stop charging, then you've likely a fault at your charge point, causing the charge points rcbo to trip. Contact whoever installed it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

After we got our Zappi 2 installed early in year it occasionally tripped, so we contacted installer. When he came, he re checked out house (All normal) and swapped out 40A RCBO for a better make, haven't had any problems since. He did mention he had had problems before with the old RCBOs. (Unfortunately I didn't check make)

Not saying this is your problem, but a possible reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not a known or common issue on the Ioniq, I would check the house / charge point side first (and not presume the car is causing it)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Just dropping by it's been a while,
    new ioniq foible.
    Charging regime now goes car covered in ice ?,pull emergency flap release cable whilst retrieving the charging cable .
    I think I can live with that for the few days of the year it will be a big white icicle.

• Advertisement

adunis wrote: »
    Just dropping by it's been a while,
    new ioniq foible.
    Charging regime now goes car covered in ice ?,pull emergency flap release cable whilst retrieving the charging cable .
    I think I can live with that for the few days of the year it will be a big white icicle.

Or.... Open the drivers door and continue as normal.

Why are you needing to initiate charge in the morning after the car has iced over overnight? Surely you either charge overnight and preheat so the car isn't iced, or you don't charge overnight and thus don't need to plug in in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Or.... Open the drivers door and continue as normal.

Why are you needing to initiate charge in the morning after the car has iced over overnight? Surely you either charge overnight and preheat so the car isn't iced, or you don't charge overnight and thus don't need to plug in in the morning.

Usually plug it in before bed,it has been frozen solid at 10pm on a couple of occasions,I live on top of a mountain just by way of explanation.

adunis wrote: »
    Usually plug it in before bed,it has been frozen solid at 10pm on a couple of occasions,I live on top of a mountain just by way of explanation.

Just regen on the way down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

Would anyone like to guess what a 191 white Ioniq with 36k kms on the clock would sell privately for in Jan 2021?

Looking at upgrading to something with more range, and was offered 21.5k euro trade in by the dealer I bought it from (plus 750 cash back so really 22,250 euro).

I suspect I may get more private, all the 191's I can see in Ireland online are from dealers and starting at 24k or so.

However there is finance on it so I'd have to sort that, plus deal with a private sale, so have to factor in the cost of the hasel!

All opinions welcome, thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you've been offered 22,250 from a dealer (assuming the "cost to change") is still reasonable I'd bite their hand off. Especially as you have finance owing on the Ioniq. Dealers will deal with that but private people wont. I sold my 2017 Ioniq with finance owing in 2019 for about 22k. To a dealer. Most dealers were offering 18-20k.

Ioniq is a great car and I love them, but as I said by PM, looking online I'd say the realistic sales price of a 191 white Ioniq28 in the new year is between 20-22k. Remember the list price online is a starting point and for an "old" model Ioniq (that we all know is actually better than the new one!) there's a good chunk to negotiate down on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

€22.25k offer in current climate, why hesitate?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi,

Would anyone like to guess what a 191 white Ioniq with 36k kms on the clock would sell privately for in Jan 2021?

Looking at upgrading to something with more range, and was offered 21.5k euro trade in by the dealer I bought it from (plus 750 cash back so really 22,250 euro).

I suspect I may get more private, all the 191's I can see in Ireland online are from dealers and starting at 24k or so.

However there is finance on it so I'd have to sort that, plus deal with a private sale, so have to factor in the cost of the hasel!

All opinions welcome, thanks!!

Thats a good price from the dealer. I sold mine back to the dealer too. I had no finance on it.
    I tried to privately sell it and was inundated with calls, not to buy the car, but to ask about electric cars in general. My heart was broken. I answered all callers questions, but no one would take the risk, that they thought existed, as I was not a dealer, even though there was still loads of warranty left on it. Non electric car owners just don't have the confidence to buy an electric car, especially privately. Now this will eventually not be the case.
    I think the market for electric car resale is primarily previous EV owners who understand the process of charging, range etc. I may be wrong. I bought another EV after the ioniq and sold that privately someone who had an ev already and was buying for his wife. He knew all the ins and outs of it and bought it straight away.
    Good luck with the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

slave1 wrote: »
    €22.25k offer in current climate, why hesitate?
    Don't you get the 750 cash back regardless of a private sale or a trade in?

Depends on the trade. If you're buying a €40k car and getting €22.25k for the Ioniq, it's not such a good deal if you could have got that €40k car for €37k cash (with no trade in)

People often seem blinded by the seemingly good trade in offer they get on their car, but the only thing that matters is the cost to change.

Thanks all,

As I got €4k scrappage on a (literally!) worthless banger when I first got my Ioniq, I only paid €26k on the road. Two years later to get €22.25k back for it seems decent. I'd actually have made a profit nett there as I'd have saved more than the deprecation on fuel, tax, NTC, maintenance, tolls etc.

Only catch is it would be to trade "up" to the 38kWh Ioniq. It would almost never be rapid charged (two or three times a year), but the extra range would remove the need for a rapid charge I need to do on the 28kWh Ioniq every other week.

I'm leaning towards going for it due to the ease of it all. It would effectively mean paying €34k for the new car, and a second hand eNiro would likely be a better deal on paper, but the dealer will drop the new car down to my door with a bow on it (misses's birthday!) and drive the old one away and just roll over the PCP so tempted!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi,

I suspect I may get more private

I'm probably best placed to offer an opinion here, having sold a 191 Ioniq, relatively recently.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113230643&postcount=654

If the new Ioniq suits, take the dealers offer & don't look back ;).

There's a lot to be said for the ease of just trading up with a main dealer. But no matter how you look at it, you will pay a few grand for this service

And out of interest, did you try do a deal on a new or second hand eNiro with a Kia dealer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said for the ease of just trading up with a main dealer.

Considering the new Ioniq has recently dropped a few grand in RRP, it'll meet 99% of his daily needs without public charging, he'll have a new 5/8 year warranty, he's getting a very, very good allowance/trade-in for his 2 year old, €26k new Ioniq & we're in the middle of a global pandemic, it's as close to a no brainer as it gets :pac:.

Pull the trigger & well wear :).

@BigAl81 - care to share how much the cost to change is? And are you going to talk to a Kia dealer, or just going to pull the trigger on the new Ioniq?

@BigAl81 - care to share how much the cost to change is? And are you going to talk to a Kia dealer, or just going to pull the trigger on the new Ioniq?

I'd be adding €11,750 onto my finance to swap the old Ioniq for a new one so that's my cost to change right? Some savings as the balance on the old car would now be at a lower rate of interest too!

Just waiting on the call back from the Kia dealer now on a trade in for an eNiro, he's calling around to get a few quotes on my Ioniq :D

• Advertisement

Dear god man don't inflict a new ioniq on yourself.

the eNiro is a much better EV and a much better car.

ELM327 wrote: »

the eNiro is a much better EV and a much better car.

But the Hyundai dealer literally offered to drop the car to my door and wrap a bow on it :D

Let's see what quotes come in so. Ideal scenario would be a ex demo eNiro for closer to the new Ionic price!

It's such a retrograde step that you'll be telling us you're getting a leaf62 next!
    Don't forget the ESoul too. There's ex demos for 30-32k out there. 100+km more range than Ioniq38 and proper charging speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Have a night rate meter & I set it to charge each evening & have it ticked to only charge at night.

However when I plug it in about 9pm , it starts to charge immediate & seems to have forgotten (1) charge on schedule settings and (2) the off peak tariff hours.

I have to re- input the times each evening. Am I missing something?

BigGeorge wrote: »
    Have a night rate meter & I set it to charge each evening & have it ticked to only charge at night.

However when I plug it in about 9pm , it starts to charge immediate & seems to have forgotten (1) charge on schedule settings and (2) the off peak tariff hours.

I have to re- input the times each evening. Am I missing something?

I've always had a similar problem with my 171 Ioniq. Some say replacing the 12V will solve all your problems, but i'm not convinced. Ignoring the schedule altogether is new to my ears.

My bug is:
    Set scheduled charging, all is fine, car charges as it should do on schedule, but if I were to look at my schedule, it will be all blanked. It's as though the act of looking at the schedule blanks it.

Seems to happen when i've not viewed the schedule in a long time so I guarantee if I were to look at it in the morning it will blank itself. That said, so far it's been accountable at charging the car overnight.

If mine were to fail, it would simply "schedule charge" on a blank time, ie. never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Wasn’t there a firmware update for the Ioniq to fix that problem?

KCross wrote: »
    Wasn’t there a firmware update for the Ioniq to fix that problem?

There was. I have it. Did nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Can you detail what you find so wrong about it? Not doubting your bona fides here, but I had it on loan for 10 days while my classic Ioniq was in for repairs, and found it to be fine.

I understand from Bjørn Nyland’s videos that the fast charging speed leaves a lot to be desired, but the trade-off there is greater range, and I don’t fast charge all that often, only on long trips, about 10 times in a normal year.

The only other downside as far as I could see was the cost, and that wouldn’t matter if you got a good deal. There is a cash back offer of €750 on the table at present, which is a nice sweetener too.

Is there anything else you would identify as a reason not to buy?

fricatus wrote: »
    Can you detail what you find so wrong about it? Not doubting your bona fides here, but I had it on loan for 10 days while my classic Ioniq was in for repairs, and found it to be fine.

I understand from Bjørn Nyland’s videos that the fast charging speed leaves a lot to be desired, but the trade-off there is greater range, and I don’t fast charge all that often, only on long trips, about 10 times in a normal year.

The only other downside as far as I could see was the cost, and that wouldn’t matter if you got a good deal. There is a cash back offer of €750 on the table at present, which is a nice sweetener too.

Is there anything else you would identify as a reason not to buy?

The ioniq28 was a great EV, very efficient and super fast charging.

It was replaced by the ioniq 38. The 38 adds about 50-75km real world more range. If you never travel beyond that then there's no issue and you could buy the 38. It's a great EV for that use case.

However, if you ever drive more than 250km then you will be afflicted by a ridiculously slow charge curve. On a motorway it's almost "drive for 2 hours and charge for 1". Realistically, the 28 will be faster than the newer 38 for any distance longer than 250-300km

The new tech is great, but for my money there are plenty of other EVs out there for similar money without the compromised range and charge speed.

PS:Of course there's cashback, for the above reason and because it's overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭zg3409

I've always had a similar problem with my 171 Ioniq. Some say replacing the 12V will solve all your problems, but i'm not convinced. Ignoring the schedule altogether is new to my ears.

My bug is:
    Set scheduled charging, all is fine, car charges as it should do on schedule, but if I were to look at my schedule, it will be all blanked. It's as though the act of looking at the schedule blanks it.

Seems to happen when i've not viewed the schedule in a long time so I guarantee if I were to look at it in the morning it will blank itself. That said, so far it's been accountable at charging the car overnight.

If mine were to fail, it would simply "schedule charge" on a blank time, ie. never.

Can you set a timer on your charger instead?
    At least its not failing to charge.

There was indeed a software update to try fix this issue. My 171 with the update never causes an issue. A dodgy 12v battery can cause all sorts of strange behaviour from failed charging to inability to unlock car.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Can you set a timer on your charger instead?
    At least its not failing to charge.

There was indeed a software update to try fix this issue. My 171 with the update never causes an issue. A dodgy 12v battery can cause all sorts of strange behaviour from failed charging to inability to unlock car.

It's not caused me bother in over a year now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Did you do the software updates or did hyundai to that as part of their service?

Will leave the scheduler alone ( ie don't look at it) & see if it continues to work if I leave it alone. Feel like schrodingers cat!

Did you do the software updates or did hyundai to that as part of their service?

Will leave the scheduler alone ( ie don't look at it) & see if it continues to work if I leave it alone. Feel like schrodingers cat!

Exactly!

Hyundai did the updates

You have to badger the dealer to do it though, it's not done automatically.

Kia dealer offered 20k on the 191 Ioniq against a new eNiro which they valued at 39k on the road with metallic.

Hyundai offered 21.5k for trade in against the Ioniq, and an extra 750 euro cash back.

That's some difference, but Kia were not really for moving on the phone when I pointed that out!

• Advertisement

So €19k gets you into a new eNiro and €12k gets you into a new Ioniq? That's a fairly significant difference alright. You haven't responded to suggestions from others about an eSoul, so I guess that car is not for you. And a Kona looks even poorer value than it was before now that the eNiro is roughly the same price

And only significant benefit for you having the Ioniq 38kWh over your current Ioniq 28kWh that you will no longer have to stop for a charge on a trip twice a month? In fairness that would make quite a bit of a difference, particularly if you have family on board and the public charging situation in Ireland has eased off somewhat with charging for charging, but the ecars network is still terribly unreliable

Cheapest of course would be keeping your Ioniq classic for another few years, pay off your finance and come out in a superb position to buy your next car compared to being stuck on finance forever. But hey, it's Christmas and I don't want to go the bah, humbug route here :D

So €19k gets you into a new eNiro and €12k gets you into a new Ioniq? That's a fairly significant difference alright. You haven't responded to suggestions from others about an eSoul, so I guess that car is not for you. And a Kona looks even poorer value than it was before now that the eNiro is roughly the same price

And only significant benefit for you having the Ioniq 38kWh over your current Ioniq 28kWh that you will no longer have to stop for a charge on a trip twice a month? In fairness that would make quite a bit of a difference, particularly if you have family on board and the public charging situation in Ireland has eased off somewhat with charging for charging, but the ecars network is still terribly unreliable

Cheapest of course would be keeping your Ioniq classic for another few years, pay off your finance and come out in a superb position to buy your next car compared to being stuck on finance forever. But hey, it's Christmas and I don't want to go the bah, humbug route here :D

Isn't there about that 7k in the difference of the eNiro and the ioniq new though? Niro is ~39k? Ioniq is ~32k.

Ioniq list + metallic + delivery is about €34k
    eNiro + list + metallic is about €39k (no discounts)

In other words he is getting the Ioniq with an additional €2k discount (on top of a very solid trade in value). If you look at what not having the hassle of selling privately is worth to him and the likely money he would be getting privately for the Ioniq, all of a sudden the Ioniq is down to a €30k car. Far more palatable and suddenly looking decent value for money for what it is (compared to other new EVs for sale today)

Well then... You won't believe what happened next :D :P :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jesus, at those sums of money why were you not looking at UK Tesla import, get a 2015/16 Warrantied Model S with change.
    Academic now I suppose

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement