Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

garo wrote: »
    I wonder what it is about Tesla that brings out irrational fandom and hatred both.

I find it very similar to the iOS V Android debate.
    Childish arguments over what car you pick, or phone or whatever.

Kramer wrote: »
    A reasonable mileage Model 3 SR+ user would be out of all warranty in just 4 years for example.

That same owner who bought a 320d would be out of warranty after 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

unkel wrote: »
    One good example (of many) is the Model S in Germany that went over 1,000,000km earlier this year. It is on its third motor and third battery but, from memory, the current motor is in 680k km and the current battery is in 500k km. Very few cars ever make it to half a million km, but it should become the norm with EVs

Sounds like Triggers' Broom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,968 ✭✭✭✭unkel

eagerv wrote: »
    Sounds like Triggers' Broom :D

Did you not see my other post from this evening? :)

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

Did you not see my other post from this evening? :)

Linky

Didn't read all the posts, just in from work:) though managed to post a bit from there on another thread..

Sorry to hear about your problems, I thought batteries just reduced slowly over the years, yet yours seem to go all of a sudden with no warning? Is that unusual?

Edit. See it now in the other thread, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Gumbo wrote: »
    That same owner who bought a 320d would be out of warranty after 2 years.

Difference being any mechanic could replace a timing chain & whatever else would need to be replaced could be sourced from BMW or a spurious parts supplier.

A Model 3 SR+ battery swap, maybe €15k (€20k according to unkel for a Model S battery) & only option is dealing with Tesla themselves.

I don't hate Tesla, or EVs, or PHEVs or even diesels, but Tesla shouldn't get a free pass for their lack of quality & longevity. EVs are lauded for the lack of maintenance needed, the simplicity, the reliability & low running costs.
    If 4 year old (160k km) cars require expensive battery replacement, even infrequently, no one will want that liability.

Ultimately, battery failures will drive (pun intended!) prospective future BEV owners back to ICE showrooms - penguins will die :D.

Kramer wrote: »
    Difference being any mechanic could replace a timing chain & whatever else would need to be replaced could be sourced from BMW or a spurious parts supplier.

A Model 3 SR+ battery swap, maybe €15k (€20k according to unkel for a Model S battery) & only option is dealing with Tesla themselves.

I don't hate Tesla, or EVs, or PHEVs or even diesels, but Tesla shouldn't get a free pass for their lack of quality & longevity. EVs are lauded for the lack of maintenance needed, the simplicity, the reliability & low running costs.
    If 4 year old (160k km) cars require expensive battery replacement, even infrequently, no one will want that liability.

Ultimately, battery failures will drive (pun intended!) prospective future BEV owners back to ICE showrooms - penguins will die :D.

Difference being that Tesla’s warranty is longer and you wouldn’t have to go to an Indy for that repair. But so far nobody knows the cost. We don’t know if Tesla will discount yet. Every model S in the world is still under warranty. The very first versions will be ending this month from the first 2012 cars.

Nobody has paid for battery or motor work on them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

going to sandyford tomorrow with my model s, the passenger side mirror stopped opening fully the last few days, this happen to anyone here?
    I'm assuming it's covered under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

going to sandyford tomorrow with my model s, the passenger side mirror stopped opening fully the last few days, this happen to anyone here?
    I'm assuming it's covered under warranty

Have you tried a soft and hard reset? It might just work.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Have you tried a soft and hard reset? It might just work.

i didnt try that but the mirror is loose so i assumed it wasn't a software issue.

• Advertisement

i didnt try that but the mirror is loose so i assumed it wasn't a software issue.

If mirror is loose, it may have had some form of impact.
    Maybe the connection popped out.

If mirror is loose, it may have had some form of impact.
    Maybe the connection popped out.

no impact while i was in the car anyway, there's no marks on the mirror, its spotless so doesn't look like it hit anything.

Sorry, when i say mirror, i mean the mirror holder, not the glass itself

Just an update, tesla replaced my passenger side mirror and frame after a quick inspection.

They also ordered the parts for hw3 as I've fsd and while doing that are going to look at some paint erosion that I had behind my back reg plate, didn't notice it until I changed from uk plates.

All is being done under warranty and staff were very friendly and helpful

Just an update, tesla replaced my passenger side mirror and frame after a quick inspection.

They also ordered the parts for hw3 as I've fsd and while doing that are going to look at some paint erosion that I had behind my back reg plate, didn't notice it until I changed from uk plates.

All is being done under warranty and staff were very friendly and helpful

Excellent result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Has anyone every come across Aero Wheel covers for the Model S, just curious...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Has anyone every come across Aero Wheel covers for the Model S, just curious...

Can’t say I have to be honest.

How are folks daily battery “loss” now things are bit colder at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

1. Seem to be Model 3 specific.
    2. I havent experienced this either. I got loaners for routine service work without asking FOC.
    3. Can you explain this please? The fastest I’ve ever charged is 22kw on the easy go units.
    All I can say to this is BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The fights I have to get a loaner in the past two weeks!

ELM327 wrote: »

It was an 70 in chill mode so nothing like the MSP you got :)
    And the other time it was a M3SR+.

Got a 192 Model X LR FSD 7-seater for probably the guts of 3 weeks (while I get a free battery replacement under warranty). Didn't ask for it.

But I guess they know me at this stage. Anything taking more than a couple of hours and I will need a loaner. Have had several, all for (free) warranty work. All free of charge. All locked in chill mode, which is annoying alright.

• Advertisement

It was an 70 in chill mode so nothing like the MSP you got :)
    And the other time it was a M3SR+.
    I got an MSP in chill mode.

Got a 192 Model X LR FSD 7-seater for probably the guts of 3 weeks (while I get a free battery replacement under warranty). Didn't ask for it.

But I guess they know me at this stage. Anything taking more than a couple of hours and I will need a loaner. Have had several, all for (free) warranty work. All free of charge. All locked in chill mode, which is annoying alright.
    This time last year I'd have been jealous as I'd have wanted the X as I saw it as my next car. Even earlier this year.

Not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

This time last year I'd have been jealous as I'd have wanted the X as I saw it as my next car. Even earlier this year.

Not now.

can i ask why?

Cyrus wrote: »
    can i ask why?
    Sure, my ongoing sagas that I've posted here and in my own thread.

I wont cross post the whole thing again to bore everyone (I feel sick of my whining at this stage !) but essentially it's crap customer service.

Has anyone got a screenshot of the model s prices a from the last few weeks.

Am writing alout a vrt appeal letter and am comparing the new price of 80k compared to the 100k revenue calculated the car at.

But now tesla have raised their prices to 85k, any pics would be greatly appreciated!!

Also make sure you highlight the fact that the current new cars are far superior to the "old" car you are importing when that was new. Much better performance, much more range, bigger battery, better built, better seats and interior, AP3 hardware that can "full self drive", etc. etc.

I got the impression that arguments like these weigh heavier than just price comparisons when it comes to a car like the Tesla Model S with very few cars for sale

Best of luck!

The relevant pricing is not today's or last week's pricing, it's the pricing when the car was first registered e.g. if a 2017 Tesla then 2017 Tesla Ireland prices (Tesla were in Ireland in 2017).

No it's not. VRT is based on the OMSP - the value of the car in Ireland today. Teslas are not on the calculator, so in order to influence the decision on the value, yo can come up with arguments like the above I made. I was successful in reducing my VRT to zero upon appeal doing same.

slave1 wrote: »
    The relevant pricing is not today's or last week's pricing, it's the pricing when the car was first registered e.g. if a 2017 Tesla then 2017 Tesla Ireland prices (Tesla were in Ireland in 2017).
    It's today's price for a brand new car, multiplied by a depreciation factor.
    So it is categorically not based on 2017 prices.

• Advertisement

It's today's price for a brand new car, multiplied by a depreciation factor.
    So it is categorically not based on 2017 prices.

Actually this is bang on, how in Gods name after successfully appealing all my VRTs (got two back in full included the Model S earlier this year) did I type that, brain fart.

Another key point on import VRT is that extras have a sliding scale that leaves them completely VRT free after 4 years, this is very relevant to Tesla's as virtually all these bells and whistles are extras so should be excluded from any VRT calculation.
    My Model S had every extra so I took them all out from the list price and that effectively was the base of my full refund.

Advertisement