Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Aph2016 wrote: »
    The interior looks great, I would love one.

I agree, very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Sam W

According to Electrek, the new model S/X will not have a shift stick, but rather depend on AutoPilot to automatically guess what the driver is trying to do.
    “The vehicle uses its Autopilot sensors to intelligently and automatically determine intended drive modes and select them. For example, if the front of Model S/X is facing a garage wall, it will detect this and automatically shift to Reverse once the driver presses the brake pedal. This eliminates one more step for the drivers of the world’s most intelligent production cars.”

The alternative is to navigate through the touchscreen and find the PRND menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

The yoke steering wheel is a bit too far out honestly. People have found official renders with a proper steering wheel. The lack of stalks is ... interesting?

A big question is will it have native ccs? There's one image of the change port which doesn't have room for ccs. It does support 250kw charge rate so there's still hope those renders are out of date or US only.

Also some person in Australia with an existing order was offered at $2000 discount (1000 punts!) to keep his order. So that's only a $10,000 increase! Delivery in 2022. Oh Tesla you saucy tease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Sam W wrote: »
    According to Electrek, the new model S/X will not have a shift stick, but rather depend on AutoPilot to automatically guess what the driver is trying to do.

That sounds like a pain in the arse. Surely they've got to have an easier way to stick it in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Ah, they do have normal controls for it
    but Tesla is making sure that people are not too confused about it by adding force touch controls for “Park, Reverse, Neutral, and Drive’ drive modes at the base of the phone charger on the center console.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lordy, Plaid with tri motors and 0-60 1.99secs, LOL when our mate Bjorn gets his hands on it....ssssshhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,084 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'd say it will be timed a good bit faster than that again, looking at the specs. Or at least with some room for OTA software updates that will make it quicker if a competitor should announce a faster car. You can quote me on that :D

Mind anything around the 0-60 in 2s is already crazy fast. The Model S Performance after the cheetah stance launch update that I drove from Sandyford last year was only a few tenths slower than that.

But that's just loopy fast, I have not looked at specs but imagine it's one large motor on the front and two large on the rear, the average motorist would really struggle to hold the line on a car of that spec taking off from a green light, there would want to be serious traction control.
    Oh, and proper storage too, can see phones and loose change taking the heads off the poor sods in the back...

The pricing has gone crazy too, Model S is expensive but now looks like Tesla are discouraging their sales with the price of the Plaid.
    I'd love to see a RWD large battery range model but they've killed that now, only way to get the longest range in a Tesla is the Plaid +, starts at €141k but look at the (quoted) range on that baby at 840km+, they must be breaking through the 100kWh battery to get that.
    Can't wait to see a teardown of the Plaid +

slave1 wrote: »
    But that's just loopy fast, I have not looked at specs but imagine it's one large motor on the front and two large on the rear, the average motorist would really struggle to hold the line on a car of that spec taking off from a green light, there would want to be serious traction control.
    Oh, and proper storage too, can see phones and loose change taking the heads off the poor sods in the back...

Nothing new there, with the 4WD, the current Model S P cheetah and pretty decent traction control (0-60 in 2.3s) is far easier to control in a straight line launch than my old model S P RWD (0-60 in 3.9s) which has far less power, because of the only RWD and because the traction control system in my car can not cope, so you have to keep your wits about you

And even in my old car, before I finally got the aftermarket cubby drawer, the coins, sunglasses and what have you from in there would fly all over the cabin when you put the foot down :p

Also, disappointed with the external "refresh", hardly noticeable, really points to they do not want to invest heavily in new forming tools as they anticipate low demand

• Advertisement

Can't blame them really. S is the flagship, good for showcasing engineering prowess, massive range, extreme performance and perhaps now even also quality interiors (almost) on a par with the Germans. It hasn't been about making profit for a long time. That's where the 3, and in particular the Y, come in.

S for the show, Y for the dough...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sam W wrote: »

what if I want to inch it forward....

also, is the steering wheel legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

what if I want to inch it forward....

There are buttons on the centre console to manually select drive mode.
    also, is the steering wheel legal?

The EU version will have a conventional steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭sk8board

$10k more for the interior it could have had a few years ago, zero external changes (which screams they are cheating out on re-tooling the factories and the S will be limited to fans who really really want one) and the price isinto the price point of the new entry level Taycan too.
    I’m not so sure this is nearly as exciting a change as Tesla want people to believe and the steering wheel is clearly a stunt to distract. Fans on YouTube will love it, but normal buyers won’t be doing many 3 point turns with it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »

And even in my old car, before I finally got the aftermarket cubby drawer, the coins, sunglasses and what have you from in there would fly all over the cabin when you put the foot down :p

I'm still suffering from this. I need to buy a cubby drawer. Where did you get yours?
    Also, disappointed with the external "refresh", hardly noticeable, really points to they do not want to invest heavily in new forming tools as they anticipate low demand

Very subtle change. One thing though, is the De-Chrome. Its confirmed that i am deffo getting it done on mine in the next few weeks now.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Very subtle change. One thing though, is the De-Chrome. Its confirmed that i am deffo getting it done on mine in the next few weeks now.

Never noticed that actually and I'm not a fan of chrome, I mock dechromed parts of my deep blue S but it doesn't suit, the finger prints on the door handles were triggering me however so I got carbon fibre covers for them (and the wing mirrors) and they blend in fine.

Ah well, looks like we already have the most popular after market add on for the new S, get your Aliexpress orders in now

EsxtrbxUUAAl_X6?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 45,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sk8board wrote: »
    $10k more for the interior it could have had a few years ago, zero external changes (which screams they are cheating out on re-tooling the factories and the S will be limited to fans who really really want one) and the price isinto the price point of the new entry level Taycan too.
    I’m not so sure this is nearly as exciting a change as Tesla want people to believe and the steering wheel is clearly a stunt to distract. Fans on YouTube will love it, but normal buyers won’t be doing many 3 point turns with it :)

apart from being a porsche, what makes the Taycan better for similar money?

S is faster and has more range. I wouldn't be wild on he Taycan interior either.

Is it the fact it is a Porsche and probably drives/handles better?

Quality of build I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

apart from being a porsche, what makes the Taycan better for similar money?

S is faster and has more range. I wouldn't be wild on he Taycan interior either.

Is it the fact it is a Porsche and probably drives/handles better?

Badge identity

Quality of build I'd imagine

That too.

Worth noting that for the same money as the worse performing Turbo (ie not the turbo S) taycan, you could have the Plaid+ model S with over double the range and better performance than the top of the range (and 40k more expensive) taycan.

Nothing comes close to the Plaid models now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ELM327 wrote: »
    Badge identity

That too.

Worth noting that for the same money as the worse performing Turbo (ie not the turbo S) taycan, you could have the Plaid+ model S with over double the range and better performance than the top of the range (and 40k more expensive) taycan.

Nothing comes close to the Plaid models now.

not that it matters but one would guess that if you put both around a track the porsche would be the quicker car (from what ive seen teslas are quick in a straight line but tend to fall down in handling tests).

After that its brand recognition and build quality.

Range is a differentiator for sure but it gets to a point where range is less important, i.e. if you can do 400km per charge, for MOST people, an extra 200km is not really that important (in ireland at least) if you are already used to running an EV.

Performance on a track is not relevant when you only have 300km of range in the taycan, you can't take it to a track.
    I remember reading the plaid was quicker around a track (possibly the 'ring?) than the taycan, when both were prototypes anyway.

If you have 300km in the Taycan Turbo S and you have 800km in the Model S PLaid+ for 40k less, with faster acceleration and a better charging network, I can't see many buying the taycan!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Performance on a track is not relevant when you only have 300km of range in the taycan, you can't take it to a track.
    I remember reading the plaid was quicker around a track (possibly the 'ring?) than the taycan, when both were prototypes anyway.

If you have 300km in the Taycan Turbo S and you have 800km in the Model S PLaid+ for 40k less, with faster acceleration and a better charging network, I can't see many buying the taycan!

maybe i remember seeing the etron 55 v the model x (which was appreciably more powerful) and the etron handled much better (that being relative of course :pac:)

But if the range differential is actually 500km thats a big deal although if it was my money id struggle to spend that kind of cash on something like a model s (what i mean by that is a large pretty standard looking saloon thats been on the go 7-8 years), the taycan would appeal more.

ive seen a few real world reviews of the turbo s returning 370-390km (https://insideevs.com/reviews/395038/porsche-taycan-road-trip-240-mile-range/) has the plaid been tested in real world conditions for 800km?

Taycan may give 370-390km in the real world but put that on a track and it dissipates quickly.
    Of course the plaid has not been tested in the real world but the current S Performance has above 600km real world range so it's not too difficult to expect 800 as published for the plaid+ trimotor and likely 120kWh battery.

The etron is a great EV, I love Audi SUVs and I especially love it's great charge curve. But it's awful on range, you'd struggle to get 250km from it in winter. It's not a model X competitor, more a competitor for the ipace and eqc

There's an Ionity charger 30km from the 'ring. :pac:

...so you drive around looking for your sub 7 minuter, all the while watching your battery % to leave enough range to get to the Ionity charger :P

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Reservation confirmed. A year or so to tell the missus. I'm pretty convinced that once you achieve rotation speed, you will be able to pull back on that wheel in order to takeoff...:D

...so you drive around looking for your sub 7 minuter, all the while watching your battery % to leave enough range to get to the Ionity charger :P

Well, you'd only need to leave about 10%. I wouldn't want to drive on track in any electric car with less than 10% charge.

So if you charge to 100% beforehand that gives you 80% to work with.

The M3P gets about half an hour going hard round the track, so I'd imagine you'd get at least three laps out of it before going for a break to Ionity.

From what I dimly remember of driving the 'ring, three laps is loads!

Gumbo wrote: »
    I'm still suffering from this. I need to buy a cubby drawer. Where did you get yours?

Can't remember, I ordered one and it never arrived, got another one then. Both cheap from China. There are classier ones, hand made by a lady in Norway, should be easy enough to google that. You have OCD, so you might want to get a RHD version, which fits slightly better than all the cheap ones which are LHD :D
    Cyrus wrote: »
    not that it matters but one would guess that if you put both around a track the porsche would be the quicker car (from what ive seen teslas are quick in a straight line but tend to fall down in handling tests).

Your knowledge might be a bit behind. Since the OTA software update of track mode for the Model 3 performance, it now is faster round a circuit than the king of small sports saloons, the BMW M3 (which is tens of thousands of EUR more expensive). You've had your performance cars in the past, go test drive the Model 3 P from Sandyford, stick it in track mode (I did 85-15 RWD bias with drivers aids kept to a minimum) and take it to some challenging roads and drive it hard. You might be surprised. I was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    Can't remember, I ordered one and it never arrived, got another one then. Both cheap from China. There are classier ones, hand made by a lady in Norway, should be easy enough to google that. You have OCD, so you might want to get a RHD version, which fits slightly better than all the cheap ones which are LHD :D

That was my problem before, any I found for sale was for LHD and they wouldnt confirm that they would fit a RHD properly :)

Advertisement