Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,124 ✭✭✭✭unkel

autopilot computer 1.0

That mean AP1? On a 181 car???

On another point, this loaner and the pre-facelift 161 I had last time both have very aggressively biting brakes. Unpleasant. Would that be because their mileage is so low (about 30k km) and the pads are still very fresh?

Can't wait to get my own car back again. These loaners are stuck in chill mode which is ridiculously slow when you've grown accustomed to driving a P car hard :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »
    Have a loaner 181 S75 at the moment. How do I know if that has AP2 or AP2.5? System seems to work better than AP1, but far from perfect. It doesn't seem to recognise cars overtaking you on the motorway until they have already gone past. The start / stop without doing anything is a very nice feature though.

Try the VIN...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

autopilot computer 1.0

That mean AP1? On a 181 car???

On another point, this loaner and the pre-facelift 161 I had last time both have very aggressively biting brakes. Unpleasant. Would that be because their mileage is so low (about 30k km) and the pads are still very fresh?

Can't wait to get my own car back again. These loaners are stuck in chill mode which is ridiculously slow when you've grown accustomed to driving a P car hard :D

Check if it has side cameras ?

If those are missing it's AP1.

Looks like no side cameras!

VIN:

5YJSB7E1XGF157866

No joy in EV-CPO.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Looks like no side cameras!

VIN:

5YJSB7E1XGF157866

No joy in EV-CPO.com

Off the VIN it's a 2016 model car , so she must have been registered late.

• Advertisement

How do you see the year in the VIN?

But yeah, obviously registered very late! Wonder what the story is there. Perhaps - even quite likely - an unregistered UK car, probably ex-showroom that could have been brought over at some point after the startup here in Ireland in 2017. And then obviously still not registered for a while. Only 30k km. I'd say this car was only ever owned by Tesla...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How do you see the year in the VIN?

https://teslatap.com/vin-decoder/

I think....

Aye. Character 10, E=2014, F=2015, G=2016, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Of course very appealing if your quote is EUR400 cheaper, but I would be wary of going with 123.ie or any of the other low budget (former) cowboys. Good luck in case of a claim. The cover is often not as good, some of them charge a very high excess in the case of a claim and many of them charge for anything, like temp changing to another car, cancellation of a policy, driving other cars (abroad), importing foreign reg cars into Ireland, etc. I'm used to having high end insurance policies with all the perks, would be loath to switch down.

So just a follow up on this as I have Irish plates now. I went to 123.ie to get a quote on the car. It's coming out at 471+39.25 for full NCB (Stepback in included). (Yes I'm not in my 20s anymore. Yaay!) But just for the laugh I asked for another quote with a windscreen claim thrown in - 123.ie claim that you don't lose your NCB for windscreen claim as do many other. For a 100 Euro claim from March that increased the premium to 491. Still pretty cheap but a PITA that a windscreen claim is still a claim.

I wonder if this is unique to the cheaper insurers or true with established companies as well. 123.ie is an established company Unkel as it's RSA not some other cheapo crowd you were thinking of.

I've had a few windscreen claims in my years and none ever counted as a claim. Go with 123.ie / Quinn direct (or whatever they are called now, back then they were the only insurance company in the world ever to not employ any actuaries :rolleyes:) etc. and you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

Yes it won't count as a claim with 123.ie either. But the question is do other insurers raise their premiums - without changing the NCB - for windscreen claims?

I'm with AIG Golfsure (via GUI golf member) and €389 fully comp with full NCB protection for my 151 85

P85+
    Fully comp
    Business use
    Allowed 2 claims in 3 years yada yada

Through a work group discount.
    €283 :)

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm with AIG Golfsure (via GUI golf member) and €389 fully comp with full NCB protection for my 151 85

Did you call them up because they don't have Tesla on their website as a make they insure? I have insurance with Axa already but it was frightfully expensive and am thinking of switching. It will likely save me money even after paying the short term with Axa. I'm more than a month into the policy so will only get 70% of the premium back if I cancel in the next 27 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,690 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Am with 123, 900 quid.
    full NCB with 5 points and 1 recent at fault claim

garo wrote: »
    Did you call them up because they don't have Tesla on their website as a make they insure? I have insurance with Axa already but it was frightfully expensive and am thinking of switching. It will likely save me money even after paying the short term with Axa. I'm more than a month into the policy so will only get 70% of the premium back if I cancel in the next 27 days.

Yes, Tesla is not on their “system” but they can quote when you chat in person...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Yes it won't count as a claim with 123.ie either. But the question is do other insurers raise their premiums - without changing the NCB - for windscreen claims?

No Axa don’t

Just received this:

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car. Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action. If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

Happy days!

Just received this:

Happy days!

Just got it this minute too!

532397.jpeg

+1 but MCU replaced earlier this year by previous owner so likely nil impact on me apart from seeing the 8 year coverage which is new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭markpb

I wonder what brought about this change of heart!

No email for me yet.

Was rumoured for quite some time that Tesla would do it for free. Great news for Tesla owners with cars out of warranty!

The MCU1 issue was the only really expensive issue that people faced, a few months ago it would have cost €3k, then it was just hundreds (for the daughterboard replacement) and now it is free :-)

The other common issue is the door handles. Tesla have been replacing these for outside of warranty cars with some good will, you pay for the part only, labour is free

Very good customer service from Tesla in fairness

Did not receive this email.
    In sandyford yesterday they would not replace the daughterboard as the MCU was performing fine.

Worth noting it's not "free", it's only "free" if you have less than 100k miles/ 162k km. Which i dont, but was happy to pay for the change, but they wouldnt do it.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Did not receive this email.
    In sandyford yesterday they would not replace the daughterboard as the MCU was performing fine.

Worth noting it's not "free", it's only "free" if you have less than 100k miles/ 162k km. Which i dont, but was happy to pay for the change, but they wouldnt do it.

Madness that they won’t do it.
    It’s a paid job at the end of the day.

Not sure what to make of that. On the one hand, you'd think Tesla would just grab the money off a customer who insists on giving it to them :p

On the other hand, there is no imminent problem, no imminent risk by not having the job done until you get more warnings that things are starting to go south. I think I would be happy to wait, making sure I'd have this discussion with Tesla on emails. So in case the MCU1 would suddenly stop working (despite you having asked for the daughter board replacement), then Tesla can pick up the car if you get stuck and sort you out. For just the price of the replacement job.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Madness that they won’t do it.
    It’s a paid job at the end of the day.
    Imagine this in a BMW dealer

Garage: Your turbo is fine
    Customer: I want to pay you to replace it
    Garage: No

Insanity.

Not sure what to make of that. On the one hand, you'd think Tesla would just grab the money off a customer who insists on giving it to them :p

On the other hand, there is no imminent problem, no imminent risk by not having the job done until you get more warnings that things are starting to go south. I think I would be happy to wait, making sure I'd have this discussion with Tesla on emails. So in case the MCU1 would suddenly stop working (despite you having asked for the daughter board replacement), then Tesla can pick up the car if you get stuck and sort you out. For just the price of the replacement job.

I've had a few shutdowns and reboots etc and very occasional screen display issues (usually when displaying charge scheduled) and I wanted the 64gb for piece of mind.

I wouldnt mind but I'm having a fair bit of suspension work done too which is paid for, in addition to tires, lights, interior trim and usb port.

My only issue is twofold: if it fails I will have to pay to get it transported to tesla, and the hassle that that causes, whereas it suited me to get it done all together.

ELM327 wrote: »
    My only issue is twofold: if it fails I will have to pay to get it transported to tesla, and the hassle that that causes, whereas it suited me to get it done all together.

That's why I'm saying have this discussion on paper (emails), so should there be any problem, it's Tesla's responsibility to sort you out (at their cost)

But you're right there would be hassle

I agree with ELM it is insane they won't do it for him when the car is with them already and he has been a having a few issues and he is willing to pay for it. Different people have different levels of risk aversion and if he doesn't want to risk being stranded, he has every right to pay for his peace of mind.

It seems they don't have the part in stock, my car was waiting for it for a few weeks (and there was one car in the queue ahead of me). Surely they should stock up now they've announced they're fixing cars out of warranty for free.

• Advertisement

Right so maybe they refused to do it because they didn't have the part in stock. Trying again at a later stage might work.

Advertisement