Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

garo wrote: »
    Right so maybe they refused to do it because they didn't have the part in stock. Trying again at a later stage might work.
    No, they refused to do it because it wasnt an upgradable part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Oh? So they would be happy to take your money to replace the whole MCU? Well I bet this new communique will force them to change their tune.

Mine is a facelift but only has AP1 (that combo was only available for a few months in 2016) so even the MCU2 upgrade was not available.

Worth noting that multiple owners in Ireland have had the daughterboard upgraded so it can be done, but they are choosing not to, for me.

Your best bet is to keep a close eye and as soon as you start seeing persistent problems contact them. They should be able to remotely check the log for the memory chip and if it is close to end-of-life they will change it. And as Unkel said, keep track of all correspondence so if you end up getting stuck somewhere, sock it to them.

Unfortunately that's what I'm going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eMMc update

Tesla Belfast are charging a customer for this repair as they state he is not the original owner of the car. Warranty doesn’t transfer for this seemly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well the email from Tesla to me uses a lot of the word "may"...
    here's the closing part...

" Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021. "

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Understandable, as anyone buying a used one is aware (or should be aware) of the MCU 1 issues for some time.

Turns out now there’s been a bit of stuff going on in the background with group reps. Seemly the original poster is to get a call and he will not be charged.

Warranty transfers.

This crap is yet another reason tesla service needs to buck up

I've spent the past week ranting about them to anyone who will listen. My network of friends, family, colleagues in similar industry with similar disposable income, have all been advised of how bad Tesla service is. I doubt any of them will buy a Tesla in the near future.

Won't be an issue now, as there's loads of fanboys (and girls) who will buy them, so much so that supply exceeds demand. But, a reminder, I was that fanboy a mere 12 months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

This is not warranty, it is goodwill.

Wasn't your own diesel BMW fixed under goodwill, Gumbo?

unkel wrote: »
    This is not warranty, it is goodwill.

Wasn't your own diesel BMW fixed under goodwill, Gumbo?

Yes a few of them.

E90, E60 and F10.
    All good will and for free.

I wasn’t the original owner on any of them either.

Uh oh. Maximum battery charge level reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Ouch... Doesn't sound good :(

Yay!!

Free battery upgrade for you!!

I'd be delighted to see that on my car.

New battery pack I think......

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yay!!

Free battery upgrade for you!!

I'd be delighted to see that on my car.

Exactly :D

Just got that on screen when I went out an hour ago. Did full hard reboot, still the same. Checked with wife who did the school run this morning and was the same for her. The car was scheduled to charge (to 50%) overnight at home but only charged to about 35%

Tesla is remotely reading out the data later today, I'll post up a follow up here. Or maybe I should stick to my own thread?

A quick google shows that this message in an older Model S usually means battery replacement alright...

You're such a lucky chancer, you'll probably get a software limited 100 pack.

Start a new thread outlining the process from start to finish.

+1, either that or add to your existing thread

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    Start a new thread outlining the process from start to finish.

I think some of the regulars would get sick of yet another Tesla thread. So I'll cover it in my own thread I think.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    You're such a lucky chancer, you'll probably get a software limited 100 pack.

You really are reading my mind today :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭3d4life

How about some suggestions for the thread title ?

My suggestion :

'What Unkel screwed out of Tesla next'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

3d4life wrote: »
    How about some suggestions for the thread title ?

My suggestion :

'What Unkel screwed out of Tesla next'

If Tesla ever declare bankrupts I expect to see unkel get a mention in the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Might be great for unkel but its terrible for EV's and feeds into the narrative that batteries only last 3 years.

And would also reinforce that buying a Tesla out of warranty is a massive risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

KCross wrote: »
    Might be great for unkel but its terrible for EV's and feeds into the narrative that batteries only last 3 years.

That and Bob Flavin he said on one of his Sunday services "6 to 8 years every EV will need its battery changed and they will be digging up half the planet to do it".

Will the replacement pack have the 8 year warranty or will they only cover to the end of the present warranty?

update on my own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

KCross wrote: »

Tbf based on whats been seen it's hard to dispute that. I wouldn't touch one out of warranty solely due to cost.

You can buy an ICE happily out of warranty and not have a major concern that the drivetrain is going to **** itself . Obviously excluding a 520D :P

But you'd really see problems in residual Tesla values out of warranty

There's an 8 year battery and drivetrain warranty from Tesla so not sure what the problem is here.

Many early Model S have needed a new battery along the way. Nothing new there. But let's put things into perspective. The earliest Model S in the UK / Ireland are from 2014, so are still covered for another 2 years, unlimited mileage.

Also, in a car worth say €25k once out of warranty, you are not going to spend €25k on a new battery are you? There already are indy garages that will diagnose and replace individual modules. A Tesla Model S module goes for about $1k on eBay. Or even refurbish modules and replace faulty cells. Already done is cars with slighly older battery tech like Toyota Prius and Lexus hybrids, even here in Ireland. In fact if I had a Prius with a dead battery, I would replace it myself DIY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Many early Model S have needed a new battery along the way. Nothing new there. But let's put things into perspective. The earliest Model S in the UK / Ireland are from 2014, so are still covered for another 2 years, unlimited mileage.

Cold comfort to someone buying it at 9-15yrs old.

Also, in a car worth say €25k once out of warranty, you are not going to spend €25k on a new battery are you? There already are indy garages that will diagnose and replace individual modules. A Tesla Model S module goes for about $1k on eBay. Or even refurbish modules and replace faulty cells. Already done is cars with slighly older battery tech like Toyota Prius and Lexus hybrids, even here in Ireland. In fact if I had a Prius with a dead battery, I would replace it myself DIY.

The problem is that it shouldnt be happening and we shouldnt make excuses for it. Its not a good news story no matter how you spin it.

The battery should outlast the car.

Advertisement