Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

Rumours of a refresh are building, anyone thinking of pulling the trigger?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

maclek wrote: »
    Rumours of a refresh are building, anyone thinking of pulling the trigger?

Nope. Unless my numbers come up tonight :)

If you do I have a referral code for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,690 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    That's pretty serious alright, car should not be driven like that. That said, it must be in exceptional cases only, never heard of that before and any MCU1 failures typically give signs / artifacts / freezes etc. for several months before a serious failure happens. Plenty of time to get it fixed

Anyway storm in a tea cup, free fix by Tesla and the problem will never happen again (as there is no longer excessive data logging on a memory card too small that can't handle it)

Big problem is the few people that paid big bucks to Tesla to have this fixed. They should be compensated. If I were one of them, I'd go get my money back.
    They push back on doing it at all, and there are parts that still fail even with the replacements, its not a panacea.
    The only panacea is MCU2

• Registered Users Posts: 65,126 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The issue we are talking about here - a very common issue on older Tesla Model S - is the flash memory chip failing because it simply has been written to too many times. The part was not fit for purpose because the software excessively wrote to it and these memory chips can only take so many writes before they are likely to fail. Part is being replaced (free of charge) with a better part and the software was long since changed to no longer log data as excessively. Problem sorted. Not a big deal.

I'd be far more concerned about what will happen to the earlier Model S coming out of battery warranty once they are 8 years old. How much will Tesla charge for a new pack, a refurbished pack? And are there independent workshops fixing them or replacing modules? What do they charge?

The issue we are talking about here - a very common issue on older Tesla Model S - is the flash memory chip failing because it simply has been written to too many times. The part was not fit for purpose because the software excessively wrote to it and these memory chips can only take so many writes before they are likely to fail. Part is being replaced (free of charge) with a better part and the software was long since changed to no longer log data as excessively. Problem sorted. Not a big deal.
    Thanks for the mansplaining :D
    I know the issue and the why, but the problem is it doesnt still 100% fix the issue

• Advertisement

Of course it does, why wouldn't it?

In my own case, I had some very vague and early symptoms. I thickened them up a bit (so as to get a warranty replacement). Got the warranty replacement (took a few weeks waiting for the part, I was second in the queue), part replaced (got free loaner car for the day), problem (that wasn't even there yet) fixed

The supply chain issues with Tesla not seeming able to have common parts in stock and not being able to get them in on time, is far more serious than replacing a worn out memory chip that will cause problems only if you let it linger for months on end with plenty of warnings before it gives up the ghost

People on the UK group are saying that after the eMMC chip replacement from Tesla, the issues returned.

Oh that's interesting, haven't heard that before and I looked into this issue on the main Tesla forums some time last year. Any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭markpb

ELM327 wrote: »
    People on the UK group are saying that after the eMMC chip replacement from Tesla, the issues returned.

I've also seen someone complain that Tesco say the issue is an MCU problem, not eMMC and so not covered by the extended warranty.

Oh that's interesting, haven't heard that before and I looked into this issue on the main Tesla forums some time last year. Any link?
    No, but I have seen it multiple times on the UK facebook groups. They started before we got it here.

markpb wrote: »
    I've also seen someone complain that Tesco say the issue is an MCU problem, not eMMC and so not covered by the extended warranty.
    Yes this happens too. They also wouldnt let me pay for the upgrade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

markpb wrote: »

Have you tried Dunnes for an opinion?

In fairness, I can't see why Tesco would replace your car's MCU, or eMMC, unless you shop there, a helluva lot :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭markpb

Kramer wrote: »
    Have you tried Dunnes for an opinion?

In fairness, I can't see why Tesco would replace your car's MCU, or eMMC, unless you shop there, a helluva lot :D.

Dammit Autocorrect, I thought we came to an agreement after the roast duck incident of 2019’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

How to spoil auto pilot for everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS5zQKXHdpM

So I pulled the trigger, three days to find out if I'm out €100 or €100k!

So I pulled the trigger, three days to find out if I'm out €100 or €100k!

Explain?
    New order?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Any sign of the sale off of old stock?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No price reductions in Ireland unfortunately

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Gumbo wrote: »
    Explain?
    New order?

Yeah, new order. Hoping for new batteries and an interior refresh to be announced shortly.

Production still has to start so you probably have a good 3-4 months to start saving for the €100k :D

I'm a bit early, but well wear!

Production still has to start so you probably have a good 3-4 months to start saving for the €100k :D

I'm a bit early, but well wear!

Going be down at the ha'penny singing free bird from 9-4 for the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Going be down at the ha'penny singing free bird from 9-4 for the next few weeks.

I'll drop my referral code into your hat :D

Enjoy the wait, id hold off on buying any accessories just yet incase they change how things work with a possible refresh.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I'll drop my referral code into your hat :D

Enjoy the wait, id hold off on buying any accessories just yet incase they change how things work with a possible refresh.

I've been down this road with the model 3, my expectations are correctly set.

I used my own referral code, is that cheating?

Why do you need your referral to be used Gumbo, do you not have free unlimited worldwide supercharging for life? :p

Why do you need your referral to be used Gumbo, do you not have free unlimited worldwide supercharging for life? :p

Tongue in cheek comment, but we get a free entry into a monthly draw for a Model Y if we already have free charging :)

Ah ok, didn't know that. Is that a Model Y performance? If so, anyone want to use my referral? :p

Ah ok, didn't know that. Is that a Model Y performance? If so, anyone want to use my referral? :p

Not sure. But if I win, I’d offer the balance to upgrade to a P. :)

Details of the refresh model are out. Interior with the expected horizontal screen looks much better, but not so sure about that steering wheel. I'm told that's the same as in the new Roadster

Also "Performance" models no longer exist. Just the base model, Plaid and Plaid+

The base model now does 0-100km/h in 3.1s, the mid level Plaid in 2.1s and then there is the fast version. Bloody hell :eek:

Details of the refresh model are out. Interior with the expected horizontal screen looks much better, but not so sure about that steering wheel. I'm told that's the same as in the new Roadster

Also "Performance" models no longer exist. Just the base model, Plaid and Plaid+

The base model now does 0-100km/h in 3.1s, the mid level Plaid in 2.1s and then there is the fast version. Bloody hell! :eek:

Already done my config. €157k. Euro millions calling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

The interior looks great, I would love one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

The base model now does 0-100km/h in 3.1s, the mid level Plaid in 2.1s and then there is the fast version. Bloody hell :eek:

We'll never see those performance figures here - it's just too cold. Batteries can't be cold or it'll coldgate. If it had some kind of fossil generator on board, maybe that would be a solution, something to extend the range & allow full power with a cold battery, or alleviate issues with slow charging etc.

Then we can talk........

Advertisement