Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk in the South and East, very heavy rain and strong winds, Tues - Fri

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Today's severe showers in Cork have upped the ante for tomorrow's rain. I'd say well over an inch has fallen here today which wont have time to drain off. Coupled with a gale force easterly (notorious for flooding in Cork) I suggest tomorrow evenings high tide in Cork could be the straw.

Oddly enough we could well see a high rainfall total today than we will see tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

twas great thunder and lightening around lunchtime today over near duleek, unfortunately there was no sign of it when i got home near slane, only blue skies, anybody got any idea how much rain we'll get around this area tomorrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just got a mail from the house insurance :

202028.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

yellow heading blinding

and if insurers are sending out emails to customers, than we really are in for it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Sun splitting the stones here in Meath. Always follow the old motto, Always build your house on the high ground :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

or live on the northside of cork city. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Lovely summers day here so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Lovely bit of sun in Dublin 4. Enjoy it while it lasts lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed the approaching front has at least killed the wind and showers off. Obviously we'll all pay soon,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Fiskar wrote: »
    Sun splitting the stones here in Meath. Always follow the old motto, Always build your house on the high ground :D

Yeh, where you can act as a beacon for lightning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

First thing I thought of when I seen the blinding yellow warning headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I suppose a slight risk of an extreme event is the same as an extreme risk of a slight event. No change in my outlook, agreed that yellow is a bad colour choice for headings, can't easily read at all.

Low estimated 980 mbs near 49.5 N and 17.5 W. We are getting a puzzling ship report just north of the K1 buoy (which is near 49N 12.4W) -- the buoy has shown SSE shifting SW moderate winds, the ship report is NNE 55 knots. Looking at the satellite imagery, this would only be correct if squalls have developed along the bent-back occlusion, but other explanations would be error reports including longitude numbers mixed up (21.4 instead of 12.4 would fit the storm). So I will keep an eye on these details but the general picture remains the same as outlined earlier, expect a steady increase in wind speeds tonight and Wednesday morning with peak winds likely mid-day to evening, direction generally NE with a backing tendency.

By the way, looks cold enough by late Thursday and Friday morning to see coating of snow on most hills in Connacht and west Ulster. Higher summits in southeast could also see sleety snow at times.

Would say inland south and southeast most at risk for river flooding, but urban flooding could develop in parts of Dublin, tidal issues might develop for streams running into the Liffey. At the Wednesday high tides water levels could be half a metre or more above tide tables. JS has mentioned concern for similar issues around Cork. I haven't looked at the details of shorelines in Wexford but anything exposed to the east or northeast there might be dealing with a one metre rise above tide tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

yellow heading blinding

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes as forecast so far.

A spell of very heavy frontal rain but then we have the worrying likelihood of heavy showers banding from the Irish sea in the wake of the front.

Also winds along the east coast will be very strong.

For the Dublin region, winds will be sustained 30-35mph gusting from 50-60mph.

Combined with at times torrential rain, it will make for an atrocious afternoon and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Yes as forecast so far.

A spell of very heavy frontal rain but then we have the worrying likelihood of heavy showers banding from the Irish sea in the wake of the front.

Also winds along the east coast will be very strong.

For the Dublin region, winds will be sustained 30-35mph gusting from 50-60mph.

Combined with at times torrential rain, it will make for an atrocious afternoon and evening.

It will be fun cycling against those on the way home from school :o

I suppose a slight risk of an extreme event is the same as an extreme risk of a slight event. No change in my outlook, agreed that yellow is a bad colour choice for headings, can't easily read at all.

Low estimated 980 mbs near 49.5 N and 17.5 W. We are getting a puzzling ship report just north of the K1 buoy (which is near 49N 12.4W) -- the buoy has shown SSE shifting SW moderate winds, the ship report is NNE 55 knots. Looking at the satellite imagery, this would only be correct if squalls have developed along the bent-back occlusion, but other explanations would be error reports including longitude numbers mixed up (21.4 instead of 12.4 would fit the storm). So I will keep an eye on these details but the general picture remains the same as outlined earlier, expect a steady increase in wind speeds tonight and Wednesday morning with peak winds likely mid-day to evening, direction generally NE with a backing tendency.

By the way, looks cold enough by late Thursday and Friday morning to see coating of snow on most hills in Connacht and west Ulster. Higher summits in southeast could also see sleety snow at times.

Would say inland south and southeast most at risk for river flooding, but urban flooding could develop in parts of Dublin, tidal issues might develop for streams running into the Liffey. At the Wednesday high tides water levels could be half a metre or more above tide tables. JS has mentioned concern for similar issues around Cork. I haven't looked at the details of shorelines in Wexford but anything exposed to the east or northeast there might be dealing with a one metre rise above tide tables.

Hey MT, interestingly the GME model initialised the low with a really tightly wound gradient on its' southwestern quarter. So would not be surprised to see winds of 50KT in that area.

gme-0-6.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I left a note with Site Devs to change the color on the prefix when they get a chance , looks like a interesting few days ahead , hopefully everyone and there property comes out unscathed .

Latest NAE shows Dublin & Wicklow area most at risk of significant rainfall.

With totals of 25-45mm being forecast in the 24 hours from 6am tomorrow to 6am Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Siobhan loves saying relentless..... 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That's why I treat ship reports with caution. I have seen several occasions where they have reported the wind direction wrong by 180 °, which is a possibility in this case. ASCAT winds for around midday showed maxima around NW 40 knots near 48N 21W, so with a similar gradient on the east of the low it is possible that winds have strengthened since then, but 55 knots seems a bit excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭friendlylady

Can anyone tell me what the mm measurement of rain was that fell last October on that particularly bad day. I see 25mm to 45mm forecast for tomorrow and I just want to compare. thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well, the same ship appears to be heading east and has posted two hourly reports since the questionable one, fitting the isobars better (SE 30-45 kts) but these may all be failing to factor in the effect of forward speed into a near headwind. However, ship reports can be at a considerable platform height compared to buoy reports. In any case, the very strong winds being forecast are a combined function of gradient and rate of deepening, there is often a radiating pulse of very strong winds or gravity wave apparent in the northeast quadrant of a rapidly deepening cyclone. Watch for this to move north up the east coast tomorrow most likely between 08z and 12z.

The northwest parts of France will get nailed by those strong westerlies late tonight, but that sector of the storm will occlude rapidly and most of the energy will rotate quickly around towards southeast Ireland, so I really think this could be quite the event on both wind and rainfall. All predictions and comments that I've read here so far seem likely to verify but could be slightly conservative for points within given regions or counties.

The good thing about the time difference for me is that your all-nighter will be my normal evening watch period, then I'll be the one doing an all-nighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Already 17 mm fell at Cork Airport this afternoon, though nearby Roches point only received 2 mm. It's not related to the approaching low system but still, not what the they would be wanting with another 30 mm odd on the way.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=010W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2012&mes=4&day=24&hora=18&min=0&vr2=R2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ummm and with the duration of rainfall over the few days, could Sundays threat be the straw that breaks the camels back.
    Sunday forecast below
    120424_1200_120.png

Anyway before that its looking fairly hazardous for eastern coast as the rain I feel may become relentless with only brief periods of dryness.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

One difference to bear in mind, when comparing to last October, is that what caused a lot of local flooding last time was leaves falling from trees or leaves on the ground blocking drains. Leaves will not be an issue at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

looking nice for the West tomorrow until late afternoon

wev had great weather lately bar the odd heavy shower.

id take this over the mist any day

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

redsunset wrote: »
    Ummm and with the duration of rainfall over the few days, could Sundays threat be the straw that breaks the camels back.
    Sunday forecast below
    120424_1200_120.png

Anyway before that its looking fairly hazardous for eastern coast as the rain I feel may become relentless with only brief periods of dryness.

I think you have a valid point redsunset - the rain for next Sunday looks even heavier than tomorrow. Oh what a messy phase we are now entering. Umbrellas at the ready so! :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Can anyone tell me what the mm measurement of rain was that fell last October on that particularly bad day. I see 25mm to 45mm forecast for tomorrow and I just want to compare. thanks in advance

I found the following on met.ie
    A spell of very heavy rainfall affected mainly Eastern and Northern parts of Ireland. Initial analysis of the available measurements results in the following comments. Although significant amounts affected many areas, the greater Dublin Area received by far the most rainfall. Our station at Casement Aerodrome set a new record of 82.2mm for the greatest daily total for the month of October, since rainfall records began there in 1954

24th of October 2011

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    One difference to bear in mind, when comparing to last October, is that what caused a lot of local flooding last time was leaves falling from trees or leaves on the ground blocking drains. Leaves will not be an issue at this time of the year.

Another difference is that it is a different synoptic set up. Last October's event in Dublin and other parts of the east was due to an intense convergence zone stalling over the region. Normally these would swing rapidly eastwards as the cold front pushes through but was stalled in this case by wave features being diverted back northwestards over the Irish Sea by a blocking high over N Europe.

202088.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement