Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-12-2018, 22:44   #5116
Alanstrainor

Had an odd one this evening; on my favourite road the R106 Baldoyle to Portmarnock, it was 5:30pm ish and pitch dark but all good. I was probably 1M out from the ditch, not in the centre of the lane, but not too far in. Had a cyclist overtake me and tell me to move in as he passed. I obviously wasn't expecting anyone to say anything so only managed to blurt out a "no" in response. And off he went. Maybe I was just annoyed at someone else overtaking me on two wheels, but I was still perplexed. He hugged the ditch off up the road.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-12-2018, 23:12   #5117
site_owner

A lot of cyclists are uneducated in road safety and roadcraft. Even very fast ones. I wouldnt let it bother you.
That road is a death trap, roll on april.

For myself, i had a great cycle on the new bullitt, its bloody fast! Usual school drop and city commute too so all in about 60km today.

I think I'm getting PTSD or starting to crack. I've had so many close passes the last few days, really fast ones too. I think a taxi driver will kill someone before this winter is done.
(2) thanks from:
06-12-2018, 23:18   #5118
rodneyTrotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post
Had an odd one this evening; on my favourite road the R106 Baldoyle to Portmarnock, it was 5:30pm ish and pitch dark but all good. I was probably 1M out from the ditch, not in the centre of the lane, but not too far in. Had a cyclist overtake me and tell me to move in as he passed. I obviously wasn't expecting anyone to say anything so only managed to blurt out a "no" in response. And off he went. Maybe I was just annoyed at someone else overtaking me on two wheels, but I was still perplexed. He hugged the ditch off up the road.
That’s interesting I was out there today roughly same time and some Lula went right trough the cross roads at Sutton on a red . Lucky he wasn’t killed. What colour jacket had he on ? I wonder if it’s the same nutter that went down Howth head into the village last week at breakneck speed !
06-12-2018, 23:31   #5119
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanstrainor View Post
....Had a cyclist overtake me and tell me to move in as he passed....
Perhaps he said "Movin" as in "You're moving along nicely"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by site_owner View Post
.....That road is a death trap.....
I cycle on it regularly and I don't ever recall having a single incident on it. The regular headwind is a bigger problem than any other road users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyTrotter. View Post
... I wonder if it’s the same nutter that went down Howth head into the village last week at breakneck speed !
Spartacus??
06-12-2018, 23:35   #5120
site_owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
I cycle on it regularly and I don't ever recall having a single incident on it. The regular headwind is a bigger problem than any other road users.
You cycle the coast road between baldoyle and portmarnock regularly and have never experienced a close pass, tailgate or aggressive driver?
Advertisement
07-12-2018, 00:00   #5121
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
You cycle the coast road between baldoyle and portmarnock regularly and have never experienced a close pass, tailgate or aggressive driver?
Not that I can recall - I think it's quite a pleasant road to cycle on.

(My only negative experience on it was getting a puncture around 11pm on a bitterly cold night in January about 5 years ago. My hands got so cold that I couldn't get the tyre back on. Was stranded there for about an hour until I finally 'manned up' and got it on.)
07-12-2018, 15:05   #5122
mr spuckler

Quote:
I certainly have and don't cycle it often.
07-12-2018, 19:02   #5123
Enfilade

I wouldn't normally be on the bike at tea time but I'd forgotten to collect a prescription in town so I decided the bike was the best option as traffic would be nuts. I've forgotten the pure joy of sailing passed a massive queue of cars. Tail back on donore rd. was almost backed up to lidl so about 1km long , I stopped counting cars at 50

One super alert lady saw me in her rvm and pulled right a little to give me more room to pass, and got a big thumbs up , and a fella in van with his nose sticking out of a junction trying to turn left pulled back in a bit when he saw me approaching too.
(3) thanks from:
07-12-2018, 19:49   #5124
Eamonnator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
I wouldn't normally be on the bike at tea time but I'd forgotten to collect a prescription in town so I decided the bike was the best option as traffic would be nuts. I've forgotten the pure joy of sailing passed a massive queue of cars. Tail back on donore rd. was almost backed up to lidl so about 1km long , I stopped counting cars at 50

One super alert lady saw me in her rvm and pulled right a little to give me more room to pass, and got a big thumbs up , and a fella in van with his nose sticking out of a junction trying to turn left pulled back in a bit when he saw me approaching too.
I rarely take the car down town any more. I have an old MTB, that I use. I lock it at the bike parking spaces outside Ulster Bank.
It's much quicker on the bike at any time of day.
Cars pass me on the Dublin road, I catch them before The Bullring.
Advertisement
07-12-2018, 20:39   #5125
Enfilade

Ha I usually lock mine there too, if you see an old black Salcano mbt with a child seat do me a favor and rob it then I justify another bike to my OH
(2) thanks from:
08-12-2018, 09:25   #5126
Weepsie

Tis a lovely morning out there. Cycled to work and was annoyed immensely that I wasn't heading out for a spin.

Well I jinxed it.

Last edited by Weepsie; 08-12-2018 at 09:48.
08-12-2018, 15:36   #5127
silverharp

started using the grand canal both ways now through the dodgy section near park west. the morning is grand and so far havnt seen any trouble makers in the evening though i'd be gone by 6pm. the most anti social thing now are other cyclists with uber bright front lights, might be grand on a well lit road but can be a distraction in the dark especially the luas section where the path is narrower and the water seems quite close.
Thanks from:
09-12-2018, 16:42   #5128
pjmn

Quite wet this morning...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2008431058
(2) thanks from:
09-12-2018, 16:46   #5129
magicbastarder

dry and breezy in dublin this morning, albeit with a bit of muck on the roads.
Thanks from:
09-12-2018, 17:07   #5130
site_owner

~30km yesterday and ~20km today on the bullitt with the kids.
bit rainy yesterday but survived, today was lovely, nice breeze and no rain so had the cover open for them.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion