Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Made it in grand this morning, not a bother at around 9am. Even managed to make it in dry enough too which was unexpected. Only a couple of commutes left in the year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Nothing except standard rain (things dried now) between 7 and twenty past, and roads notably busy for this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

17k commute to work at 8am, still a bit manky after last night's festive tipples.
    Lesson learnt. Won't be doing that combination again in a hurry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

17k commute to work at 8am, still a bit manky after last night's festive tipples.
    Lesson learnt. Won't be doing that combination again in a hurry!

I'd my 14k commute after 3 nights in a row of 'festive tipples'! thankfully it was refreshingly cool out.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Out around NCD for me this morning, just had to tackle some hills as the standard training spins are getting a bit 'blah'. Grey enough start but brightened up after an hour. Lovely and quiet up there. 54k with 760m up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice spin up to Massey's wood at lunch. Finding the hills very tough with deep mud and wheel spin leading to a couple of walk and push bits on sections I'd usually have no problems with. Steep descents on the mud are mighty craic though and being out on the bike is so much better than the last couple of evenings on the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my last for 2 whole weeks, the damn thing stays in the shed, happy days

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    my last for 2 whole weeks, the damn thing stays in the shed, happy days

Reverse for me, bit of time off and hope to get out as much as possible. Happy days also :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nice and quiet out on the roads this morning. apart from east wall road, i got there just after the freight train had been through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Quiet enough despite the late start of 7.05am and maladjusted front brake, will look later. I hope to go up Stocking Lane and round about if the weather stays okay over the holidays.

• Advertisement

Quiet enough despite the late start of 7.05am and maladjusted front brake, will look later. I hope to go up Stocking Lane and round about if the weather stays okay over the holidays.

Was up that way over lunch cycling up to the Hellfire, fantastic weather for it and well worth the effort. If you're up as far as the viewing point at the top of Stocking lane the routes back either via Piperstown, Glassamucky or Glencree are lovely options to extend the ride without too much extra effort if the conditions are good.

Edit: First time getting on a leader board on Strava today, even if it was only 10th on a muddy descent of a lesser used off-road route. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Tried to get out for a club spin this morning, but as I was getting the bike ready (lights + Garmin) a woman in a car stopped and asked me did I know the owner of three horses that were loose on the road :eek: Got in contact with the owner and went after the three escapees who were munching some grass 30m up the road.

Another car spooked them into a neighbours garden, so I closed the gate while waiting for the owner. Unfortunately the hole in the hedge the first three escaped through was discovered resulting in a further six horses making a break for it in quick succession! Those six barrelled past me up the road causing the original three to hop the neighbours hedge to rejoin their comrades (the last being a comically short pony).

I followed them at a distance by bike to try and keep an eye on them without spooking them further. They trotted along for ~700m not showing signs of slowing down, so it was lucky when a car came towards them and they took a sharp right into another garden. I blocked the gate and waited for the owner. He arrived with backup, the horses were rounded up and walked back to where they came from, and the hole in the hedge was patched. Lots of fun pre-9 am on a Saturday.

Once it was all over it was too late to make the club spin unfortunately. I ended up doing just 50km solo (with Patti Smith going through my head). Nice and sunny, not too cold either.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

our usual club spin is on a Sunday and it looks a wickle bit damp tomorrow according to the forecast so a mate and myself went for a wander, 70k odd, damp but not too cold. Hoping to get out Monday and a couple of days next week to try and get to 10000km for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Managed a 60 km club mince pie spin this morning which edged me over the 7k km for the
    year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Standard wet Sunday ride today, 3.5hrs and felt great the while way round despite the weather.

Hoping to abandon the trsini g plan and get some endurance miles in over Xmas given the reasonable forecasted weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭saccades

Soft day - forgot to turn Strava on so no idea of distance but loads of schlumpy trails and grinds up the side of ticknock with some old friends.

Last spin on current bike as the fun police approved an upgrade, spin and road bike somehow use different muscles (I presume different bits), so I'm aching now.

Good times.

I rode to Duleek and back today with Christmas gifts. First time on the bike in nearly 2 weeks since I cut my thumb. Took the beater bike too as I could stash the gifts on the child seat. Wide 35mm grippy tyres over 20km and it's been damp putting it mildly for the last week or so, so I was surprised how greasy the roads felt or maybe I need to look at the tyres????????

Had one car who after passing me beeped, waved and flashed the hazards at me between Donore and Duleek, either someone I knew and didn't recognise the car or someone spotting a guy on a Santy run :D

smacl wrote: »
    Edit: First time getting on a leader board on Strava today, even if it was only 10th on a muddy descent of a lesser used off-road route. Yay!

Pushed that 10th up to 7th and see that a few familiar names further up the leader board. Route tends to have walkers and horse riders so I reckon a few quiet 5am summer spins are in order. Downhill in the thick muck just doesn't seem to grow old, I wonder is the stamina and belly of an out of shape mid fifties bloke coupled with the aspirations of 7 year old boy such a clever combination? :p

#pretendingtobeagrownup

Day 1 of Rapha 500 km challenge, out to Blessington via Manor Kilbride and out past Hollywood and on towards Baltinglass, quick turnaround and back to Phoulaphoca and right towards Tulfarrus. Back out on to n81 into blessington and across bridge for Manor Kilbride, Lisheen, brittas and home. 100 km Avg 26 kph.

400km to go

Happy Christmas to you all and safe riding over the holiday period.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Got out around 15:00 and did a nice 60k on what was mostly a dank, overcast afternoon - darkness fell and I do like riding quiet country roads in the dark. Closing in on 10K for the year - just over 100kms to go !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Haven't been out for about what seems like forever. nice little 20k to get back into it. New bike computer to help me get out there again:-) Really mild out, hardly a breeze..Happy Christmas all..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Checked the Strava monthly climbing challenge after getting into work this morning as I thought I may have completed it.

Nope - currently at 7,999m! Now if only I had known I think I could have found a meter somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

15km family spin (cargo bike) this morning, nice day... not too cold and dry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Checked the Strava monthly climbing challenge after getting into work this morning as I thought I may have completed it.

Nope - currently at 7,999m! Now if only I had known I think I could have found a meter somewhere.

I had a friend, who was a Garda motor cyclist. About 40 years ago, he was on duty on All Ireland Football final day.He wanted to watch the match, but was expected to be on patrol. He brought the motorcycle home and put it in his garage. He needed to account for the mileage on his bike.so he put the bike on it's stand, started the engine and put it in first gear and let it run, to put some miles on it. He went into his house to watch the match, when he came out the engine had seized, because it was air cooled.
    It took a lot of explaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Lovely morning for a spin today, lack of traffic really got me in the mood, and I kept it flat for a change (only 81m ascent).

71k at 29km av in 2hr 27m - city centre out on the path towards Howth, turn for Baldoyle, to the end of Balheary Rd and back again.

I didn't really have a goal in mind for the year, but a new bike and a great summer weather made all the difference - last year I only managed 1,078km (in fairness family issues got in the way last year), but today I'm up to 3,300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Grand day here - dry, calm and mild...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2036234191

Day 3 of Rapha challenge, Tallaght to Kill, across to Clane, Prosperous, through the curragh to Kildare town, kilcullen, Dunlavin, Hollywood, Blessington, manor Kilbride, Brittas and home. 123.5 km Avg 26.8 kph. A lot of headwind, especially on the curragh, some dangerous crosswinds, and eventually tail wind from Hollywood to home. Horloced... 269 km done.... 231 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

100km through South Kildare on my second day out on Festive500 duty, it would have been 10km more only for my rear tyre giving up the ghost in a spectacular bang, I had to do the wait of shame by the road, lucky it was nice and mild.

I'm about 100km behind secman so far but there's plenty of time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Just shy of 25km yesterday. Very mild again, hardly a breeze out. Slowly getting back into it. Avg just under 25kph,cadence 84 and heart rate 167. I was taking it easy enough. Not pushing hard. Is that heart rate normal anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Heart rate is relative to you only, everyone has different zones etc.

Cycle your bike and enjoy it, don't get beat up about heart rates etc if you aren't racing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement