Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Club spin this morning. We got rained on to start, then an average of 2 degrees for the rest of the spin. Cold hands and feet. Took a serious bout of shivering after the coffee stop and was delighted to get into the warm shower afterwards. I think the slower pace of the winter spins made it a bit worse as we weren't
    warming up as much. Might have to drill it a bit next week ;)

Longwood, Enfield, Kilcock, Kilcloon, Moynalvey, Summerhill, Trim, Longwood.
    77km @28.5kmh average
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1983911839/analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Pretty cold for 3hrs 40 mins today, didn't help that I was slightly underdressed.

I'm yet to warm up!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Only got out for 40 slow Kms. Wasn't feeling it. I'm blaming my winter bike having marathon plus tyres. Suck the fun out of cycling.

Should have the croix de fer roadworthy next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

60km up Bohernabreena to Blessington and back this morning. Feet were frozen and toes were blue when I got home, need to start wearing the winter overshoes instead of toe warmers.

Tyre just exploded a minute ago in the kitchen. Was scary as hell. Sounded like a gunshot and thought the light had exploded or something. Took me a while to notice my back had lowered. Need to figure out why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Handy solo 50 km this morning, spent more time drinking coffee than cycling ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Looks to be a perfectly straight cut from the bead up and some fraying about 1-2cm along the bead.

Grand Prix (not GP2000) tyres with plenty of life left on the rubber. Bike was outside most of the day and then brought it into the house about 2 hours before it exploded, nor beside a radiator but a warm enough room.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Tyre just exploded a minute ago in the kitchen. Was scary as hell. Sounded like a gunshot and thought the light had exploded or something. Took me a while to notice my back had lowered. Need to figure out why
    Did you leave the bike beside a radiator?

EDIT: just see your other post now.

Did you leave the bike beside a radiator?

EDIT: just see your other post now.

That was my first thought, was 6 or so feet from a radiator. It’s a warm house though, A rated and probably above 20 degrees today. Pumped tyres this morning to 110 or there about, normally go to 118 by out less in today to get more contact area in the wet.

I wonder if there was wear on the thread before hand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

subject to new information, i'm dubious about the 'i left my bike near a radiator and that's why the tyre exploded' stories.
    pressure is directly proportional to temperature (in kelvin).
    bringing a bike from 0C to 20C is less than an 8% increase in pressure - or the equivalent of pumping it from 80 to 86PSI.
    granted, if the internal temp changed in short order while the temperature of the tyre itself remained low, it might lead to the lack of suppleness in the tye being a factor, but in the above scenario, the tyre would have to warm from the outside in.

anyway, TL;DR - a tyre will fail because it's compromised. it's just going to be that little bit more likely in warmer temps. but the root cause is the tyre being compromised, not the temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Beats the alternative along the grand canal route;

https://streamable.com/bgor5

That is not sound at all. Maybe you could post up a video of how you look cycling and we can all have a giggle/judge.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

lovely commuting weather this morning in Dublin, more of this please

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... a tyre will fail because it's compromised. it's just going to be that little bit more likely in warmer temps. but the root cause is the tyre being compromised, not the temperature.
    I take your point about the tyre probably being compromised but after 2 incidents where I had blowouts inside after leaving a bike beside a radiator, I wouldn't be inclined to leave it beside one again. (One was at work and the other was in a hotel room in London).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, i typed the above after a few beers last night and didn't take into account the fact that radiators get to temperatures higher than 20C. if you left your bike sitting with a tyre in contact with the radiator, i guess that could create a local hotspot of 50C+.

radiators generally heat by convection, not radiation, so i'd be curious to see how much heat would build up in a tyre if it was sitting 15 or 20cm away from the radiator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I did a quick 40 km yesterday, into town and around Phoenix Park.

I commute everyday with my backpack on. When i head out at the weekend without the backpack, it feels like i've no seat belt on. It takes a while to get used to the lack of baggage. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

[URL="ttps://www.strava.com/activities/1983937503"]ttps://www.strava.com/activities/1983937503[/URL]

yesterdays 55Km in the cold and sometimes wet, but still enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

After recovering from nasty ear infection (still clicking and making weird noises) I now have got a raspy sore throat, so on Sat I just done 25.5km to keep some sort of fitness up. On the Hot Lemons for the next few days. Haven't hardly been out for a good while. Managed to avg over 25kph, so happy enough. I always seem to get something this time of year:( New computer coming for Christmas, so hopefully that'll make me faster:D

I now have got a raspy sore throat
    i'm just getting over a dose of this now. sod strepsils and the like, the best thing i found (and i'm not a chewing gum person) are airwaves menthol and eucalyptus chewing gum.
    just don't make the mistake i did and neck five of them on your first attempt; i was driving at the time and had to pull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Today I saw the classic of a two cars blocking a yellow box. The first car was able to move up and get out but the other had no where to go. So the reversed without looking. A cyclist was going by as she did the and was push back but didn't lose their balance and continued.

She didn't seem to even know she nearly killed somebody.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Back to some normality today, although it was pretty ugly out but not as bad as the last few days! Temperatures were perfect, but damp and a bit of a headwind.

Cycle home yesterday evening seemed to be fairly tough and took longer than usual. I seemed to be going into a tough breeze. It was the toughest cycle i'd done all week and strava seemed to reflect that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

First commute in before 7am - N11 from Foxrock to Stephens green, (I usually go in for 9) holy suffering jeebus, the speed of drivers in the bus lanes as they're open to all pre-7 is actually frightening. Even at 1.5m+ you have to cling on for dear life as they pass due to the gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Picked up 12 PRs on the commute home last night heading up the malahide road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

site_owner wrote: »
    Picked up 12 PRs on the commute home last night heading up the malahide road.

Personal Records? PunctuRes? People from Romania?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Personal Records? PunctuRes? People from Romania?

I'd be assuming personal record, the type of thing i only get these days if there's a gale force breeze at my back. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I'd be assuming personal record, the type of thing i only get these days if there's a gale force breeze at my back. :D

yes, ahem :) all the training waiting for the wind to blow in the right direction has paid off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭patrickc

I cycled from Carlow to Kilkenny and back today, the wind was so strong it zapped my energy completely on the headwind there that I couldn't take advantage of the tail wind on the return. It's a long time since I felt so wrecked after a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

Dinged the tubeless rim so it wouldn't hold pressure :facepalm: went to stick a tube in but it was Schrader and the rim is presta :double facepalm:

Had a good laugh regardless, but the snotstorm illness I picked up this last week has zapped my stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Went out for a damp and dull 100km solo around Kildare/Meath. Spotted my first-of-the-season roadside antler (they normally appear post Christmas), as well as about 7 ditched mattresses.

Had a couple of dogs run at me at different points. One is a neighbour's Labrador who likes to run at me when I pass on the bike, but will scarper if I find it eating food left out for cats (no matter how friendly I approach it). Mostly harmless in my experience.

The second has run at me before too. It lives on the road just outside Dunshaughlin heading for Ratoath. It's on a bad bend, so I slowed right down when I saw the dog sitting outside the gate. It ran at me full of bluster as usual but was quick to hide in the garden when I stopped in the gateway. After a little friendly coaxing it came back out to me for some head pats and ear scratches. I thought an armistice had been reached but the bluster started immediately as soon as my wheels began to move again to leave.

Medium sized dogs like these don't bother me too much. I worry more about little dogs running under my front wheel. I'd hate to have to knock in somewhere, teeth in one hand, squashed small dog in the other :p

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I know that dog on the bad bend in Dunshaughlin. He is harmless but I fear he will be run over as he has darted out onto the road as I approach from the other side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

A very damp and dirty 100km spin today. First part was up and around Gunny and then over to Specialized shop in Browns barn, one of the lads got a venge for the weekend to try out with a view to buying one, a new one on me to be honest, we then headed up to Kilteel, and on out to phoulaphoca and around lake drive, back via manor Kilbride and home, horloxed, let Paul away at Brittas as he was itching to give it a blast home. Nice to get the Gran Fondo done on day one of the month. AVG 25 kph with almost 1, 000 meters climbing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement