Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Heart rate can vary for a number of reasons too (underlying virus, sleep/ fatigue, caffiene etc), which is why power became popular - you're either putting out the numbers or you're not. Also, HR monitors aren't necessarily accurate, and not accurate for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Short spin today, nice day out...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2037897166

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First time out on the CX bike in awhile rather than the old MTB beater. 53k taking in Kilternan, Foxes, Glencree and back down again. Lousy pace no doubt as a result of putting on a few extra pounds over the last couple of weeks. More hills and less booze needed in the new year to haul things back a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Day 4 of Rapha, a short recovery spin of 50km a loop from house to ballyedmund, ballycanew, Gorey, Ballymoney, courtown killenagh and home. Avg 25 kph. 318 km done , 4 days to go with 182km left to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Normally I wouldn't be too keen on large numbers on club spins but the twelve of us today had one of the most enjoyable spins of the year. Everyone was well matched, keen to be out after all the eating and drinking and there was relatively little traffic. Headed from Swords to Hazlehatch to Celbridge and on to Maynooth for the coffee break before a fast return to Swords. Was feeling good so added in a loop over to Baldoyle before heading home to Glasnevin. 139km at 27kph so only 101km to do before Tuesday to get to 10,000 for the year.

We are really lucky to have two very knowledgeable (and entertaining) group leaders in the Club. Thanks and happy New Year to them and to their counterparts in other clubs throughout the country. We'd be lost without you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... Everyone was well matched...
    Apart from myself who drifted off the back several times dragging the pace down! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

out along the seafront and a couple of times up howth; i bruised my ribs (not particularly badly) a couple of days ago, thought it'd be fine on the bike, but i did feel it when pushing hard out of the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I was out along the seafront as well today, I had done some my climbing and was just started on the Sutton side, there were loads of cyclists out, i was keeping to the left half of the lane and two approaching cyclists were on their half, then suddenly the second chap veered out in front of me, he had reached into his pocket and took out what appeared to be a hanky but must have also dropped something and was looking back, hence the veer. Managed to avoid him but he appeared oblivious to what he had done. Whilst sipping a coffee in Howth village another chap said to me 'You look experienced', i didn't know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult :-). He wanted to know where to get decent gear, i directed him toward Galibier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, loads out around howth today. including a group on the seafront cycle path who weren't all that keen to make space for oncoming cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2hrs in Costa Del Shed doing some base aerobic work as it was a bit too technical to hit the numbers on the road.

Tomorrow however is a road day and buzzing to get out given the decent weather this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did 15km with the little lad. Athlone to Moate along the greenway. Longest he has done its little complaining.

Did 56km more after dropping him off at his Aunts

Headed up the coast to ballygarret , courtown, Ballymoney and on to castletown, across to Inch, back to Gorey, courtown, ballygarret, killenagh and home. 62 km avg just over 25 kph. Day 5of Rapha challenge, 380 km in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Riding home from work @ 1am this morning and the left crank fell off! Twice! I’ve lost the center cap and the arm now has a few scuffs on it, but it feels secure now.
    I took it off again this morning, cleaned it all up and refitted it and it’s all good. Still feel a bit apprehensive about riding it to work later though..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Riding home from work @ 1am this morning and the left crank fell off! Twice! I’ve lost the center cap and the arm now has a few scuffs on it, but it feels secure now.
    I took it off again this morning, cleaned it all up and refitted it and it’s all good. Still feel a bit apprehensive about riding it to work later though..

Happened to me a few years ago. While I was waiting for a new one, it happened once or twice again so I'd get a new fixing bolt asap. 4 quid on CRC

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I’ve lost the center cap ....
    I've been riding for years with a missing crank cap on my Fuji. Anytime I replace it, it seems to fall off again without knowing where/when. I just don't bother any more.

(The crank only fell of once and as luck would have it, it happened beside Joe Daly's in Dundrum).

Weepsie wrote: »
    Happened to me a few years ago. While I was waiting for a new one, it happened once or twice again so I'd get a new fixing bolt asap. 4 quid on CRC

The bolts are ok but the plate is a bit mangled - probably done by me last night in the dark - but it's holding now, but I'll get a new one. Put a new cover on as I had one lying about.

Rapha challenge day 6 , over to Oulart, Enniscorthy, Ferns, Camolin, and across a side road to ballycanew , that makes the lake drive road look like it's super smooth 🀣. Up to killenagh and home. 60 km avg 25.3 kph.
    440km in the bag with 2 days left....... tired

I've been riding for years with a missing crank cap on my Fuji. Anytime I replace it, it seems to fall off again without knowing where/when. I just don't bother any more.

(The crank only fell of once and as luck would have it, it happened beside Joe Daly's in Dundrum).

The cap is supposed to make sure the crank arm goes on square during fitting, but doesn't do a lot ofter that apart from keeping some of the crap out. I don't really care if its there or not as long as the crank stays on!!
    Mine fell off just at the end of the Lusk by-pass - right before a nice uphill section :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Helen7475

15 km :)

Rapha challenge day 6 , over to Oulart, Enniscorthy, Ferns, Camolin, and across a side road to ballycanew , that makes the lake drive road look like it's super smooth 🀣. Up to killenagh and home. 60 km avg 25.3 kph.
    440km in the bag with 2 days left....... tired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The end-cap is to set the bb bearing pre-load before tightening the LH crank. It should be impossible to remove if the crank bolts are tightened correctly - if it falls out, the crank bolts are too loose.

More on bb bearing pre-load here (from 0:45): https://youtu.be/hqWmDrK9dNE?t=45 (The collar on the MTB setup does the same job as the end cap on Hollowtech versions).

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

None today, I do have a clean and shiny bike though:-)

Finally got my lazy ass out for a spin after nearly four months of doing nothing. Busy time with a new job, house build and a new baby but mostly just being lazy and allowing myself get into bad habits.

Was a bit nervous as I am unfit and carrying a bit of extra timber for the first time in my life - my mother remarked that my face was round on Xmas Day - and had a few pints and an unhealthy feed last night.

Anyway, I met the brother and we did 70k from Cork to Ballinspittle and back in lovely, mild conditions. Not a puff of breeze thankfully, but I was still lugging my ass up the hills as my brother flew up them.

Bit stiff when I got back but after getting way too cosy in front of the TV - and inside the fridge - over the Xmas it was nice to feel the endorphins flowing after the spin and to jump into a long, hot shower.

Glad to be back and I am going to make it a Sunday morning ritual again after falling into bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Tore up Howth Head quicker than ever today, the tough fight training and clean eating is showing itself in my speed, however, some lad on a Cervelo passed me like I was stopped on the way up

was that up the village side or the dublin bay side?

was that up the village side or the dublin bay side?

I went up the Graveyard side today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

101k from North Dublin to Athy. Headwind heaven! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got notified there was at least one last Writers Tears whsikey gift set in Tesco on Swords, so ordered it and collected it. That was the only thing I bothered getting on the bike for the last 10 days. 16km, and some lovely whiskey.

Day 7of Rapha challenge, headed to ballyedmund, oulart, Enniscorthy and on to oilgate, left turn for crossabeg, castlebridge and back main road to ballyedmund and home. 67.6 km avg 26.67 kph. Mission accomplished 508 km with a day to spare.
    Just over 7500 km for year since mid Feb., no commuting.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Got notified there was at least one last Writers Tears whsikey gift set in Tesco on Swords, so ordered it and collected it. That was the only thing I bothered getting on the bike for the last 10 days. 16km, and some lovely whiskey.

One of my favourites

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement