Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

First issue I've had with them to be honest and that was over 2 sets covering around 8000km (previous set from my stolen Giant included)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

I wouldnt use anything else on my road bike as they are great tires in my opinion. One puncture in about 20000km. But I have heard a few people comment that they think the IIs are not as robust as the previous generation.

Hopefully the next gen Eamonnator referred to will be as good as gen 1.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've been using the GP4000s for a long time now. I've had many sets and it's my first catastrophic failure like that. I reckon there's got to be about 6000km on that tyre, it wasn't worn beyond the wear markers but it was getting there and had flattened a small bit. It might have been due to a slice from glass or something else. Since I have a GP4000 incoming I'll stick with that for now and weight my options next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I've dumped 2 gp4000 this week, bulging sidewall on one and puncture after puncture on both.

Not that old either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

These posts are eerily relevant.

It's my turn to post about a bad experience. A car pulled on to the roundabout I was going through yesterday and hit me. Spent the night in A&E. Literally. 12 hours :(. Nothing broken thankfully but walking with crutches now to aid sore hip area now. Immediate damage on bike seems to be limited to wheel/rear cassette as car drove over it but haven't analysed yet.

It was still daylight (before 5) and I had flashing LED light on front (and rear) but driver said they never saw me.

Pain persisted so had MRI early today. Fractured pelvis. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Pain persisted so had MRI early today. Fractured pelvis.

Unfortunate. Best of luck with the recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Get well soon.
    His insurance company wont be able to use that defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

rushfan wrote: »
    Unfortunate. Best of luck with the recovery.

hear hear on the recovery. it really is incredible just how little attention is paid to the road by so many drivers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thanks everyone.

I shudder to think the impact this may have on my weight by the time I get back on the bike.
    Anyone got any guidance on trying to ensure this doesn't happen bearing in mind that comfort eating is a critical part of the recovery (or so my body tells me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Speedy recovery.... there go I but for the grace of God ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Thanks everyone.

I shudder to think the impact this may have on my weight by the time I get back on the bike.
    Anyone got any guidance on trying to ensure this doesn't happen bearing in mind that comfort eating is a critical part of the recovery (or so my body tells me).

Its difficult but do-able... i was off the bike with back problems from early Dec last year to near enough mid Feb, just decided when I realised it could be 6 to 8 weeks that I went off all crap , and stuck to it rigidly ovet Christmas, surrounded by junk food , didn't put much weight on, really really helped when I got back on the bike.

SHEER WILL POWER... yes I can :)
    Good luck with it, be dogged determined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

A minor victory of sorts this morning (in my own head anyways). I was cycling down Clanbrassil Street in the Bus Lane into town just outside Fumbally Cafe this morning. I see a guy in a big BMW pull into the bus lane behind me. I always stay in the centre of the lane along here because there's always delivery lorries and vans pulling out from the left.

The genius in the BMW goes right up my hole and starts beeping for me to get out of the way. I turned around and pointed at the bus lane symbol on the road and also indicated that he may be an enthusiastic fan of self love. He looked a bit shocked and backed off.

It's dangerous along there because there's always people veering into the bus lane to shave a second or two off their wait for the light. It gets right on my tits because they never feckin' check their mirrors and barge in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Always vehicles who shouldn't be there bombing down that buslane, or vans or lorries stopping / ed anywhere. Yet going down there every morning so sort of used to it. Self lovers quite like Audis too, also clapped out Passats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Every morning now I seem to be getting stuck behind motorcyclists in the cycle lane along the canal. It's becoming a pain in the hole because they tend to creep along and with the traffic to my right at a standstill it's hard to overtake

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A minor victory of sorts this morning (in my own head anyways). I was cycling down Clanbrassil Street in the Bus Lane into town just outside Fumbally Cafe this morning. I see a guy in a big BMW pull into the bus lane behind me. I always stay in the centre of the lane along here because there's always delivery lorries and vans pulling out from the left.

The genius in the BMW goes right up my hole and starts beeping for me to get out of the way. I turned around and pointed at the bus lane symbol on the road and also indicated that he may be an enthusiastic fan of self love. He looked a bit shocked and backed off.

It's dangerous along there because there's always people veering into the bus lane to shave a second or two off their wait for the light. It gets right on my tits because they never feckin' check their mirrors and barge in.

Some of those bus lanes can be really tough to ride in. I sometimes get struck down with sudden, very serious tiredness that slows me down to crawl.

Some of those bus lanes can be really tough to ride in. I sometimes get struck down with sudden, very serious tiredness that slows me down to crawl.

Jez take it easy fella, you're in the right gear ? 34x28 is the one you want for this situation in those tough bus lanes , I know there can be sudden headwinds winds too especially when you get a car behind you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Injured my calf muscle during the week so opted to head out solo this morning, got about 15k do e before leg cramped up do headed for home. 35k done all in.

Between the crash and the mental stuff I've been doing in the gym lately I've not really been out, went out today to Howth, up the back of the graveyard, down to the lighthouse, up to the summit down to the village back balkhill (sp?) Road, windgate road, down to the market for coffee then back up the village side lhs of the church this time and then home. 63kms all in with 650meteres but 45kms was flat so I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

nice 5 days of commuting, amazing weather for nov, leap card stayed in wallet and 125km clocked up.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Took the bike out this morning and flat rear wheel again. :mad: Pumped back up and went out for a tentative 25k. Checked pressure when I go back, still at same pressure as before I left. Dunno what the **** is going on. Had been fine for 3 weeks then flat today.
    Wheel and tyre seem fine and tubes aren't puncturing.
    Maybe I just need to treat myself to new wheels.

Also dropped my apartment key and fob on the way out on the bike, got home...no key. Remembered hearing something drop out by lamb doyles but ignored it at the time thinking it was just debris getting thrown about..went back out and sure enough it was my key. Both were destroyed...just about managed to get key to turn in lock after hounding neighbours to let me into the building. Not my day. Should have stayed in bed this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get yourself some zippy pockets Queen. Not worth the hassle losing stuff.

Huge turnout for club Sundays this week. Making hay while the sun, amazingly, shines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

https://www.strava.com/activities/1971769361

lovely morning, but some headwind once I turned after Roassaveal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭saccades

Missed the club road spin as the little one is doing the practice mass things and #1 child is ill and needed minding.

Did a quick 95 mins into the hills, ave 29.5kph and 500m climbing. You forget how hard it is on your own, would have sworn the wind was in my face all the time.

Good session all the same, legs are burning and I could eat a scabby horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Some amount of filth on the n81, overshoes look like they spent the day on a building site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Went out today fully intent on heading for Tallaght and going up by Ballinascorney and on to Enniskerry. Beautiful day for it, my absolute favourite type of day for a cycle. I got about 7 kms before I got a puncture. This was only the fifth spin on a brand new bike with brand new tyres. Only brought one spare tube so just did a short spin close to home. My last bike had Gatorskins on for about six months and i never got as many punctures in the previous four years when I had continentals on. Must have been about ten! Now this! Back to Continentals it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Headed off yesterday into completely new territory. Leitrim.
    4 of us drove down to Leitrim village and were on the bikes for 9. Lovely sunny weather if a little cold to start, light breeze, rolling roads, not a car in sight. Hit the first climb at a decent pace, Sleive Iniarann. It's a good climb that steadily increases in gradient up into double figures towards the top and has fantastic views over half the country. Then a good long descent and coffee stop in Drumshambo.
    We headed off again around by Kilronan Castle and into Ballyfarnon and then took on an utter little brute of a climb, 2km @10%. I made a terrible mistake of chasing down one of the others who had opened a gap on the first part of the climb. With about 500m to go to the top the road ramps up to over 20% and as I got out of the saddle, my quad cramped and I had to ditch it.
    Now I make a point of seeking out stupid hard, steep climbs and getting up them. I've beaten the Angliru (well, not beaten but definitely drawn) but that little bstard left me on my ass. I rolled back down about 100m to a bridge so I could clip back in, took about 5 minutes straightening out the leg and went again. Made it on the 2nd attempt but my leg was in bits.
    After that we went back down and over to Geevagh and climbed the other side of that hill suffering all the way then back down suitably chastened and spent the next 30km fighting off the bonk into a headwind. Not my finest hour.

Finally rolled in for 110km with 1440 climbing.
    I really need to shift that spare stone weight I found.
    Anyway, it was a fantastic route and I'd strongly recommend anyone not familiar with the area to check it out.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1972054508

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just cycled home from work. Wet and miserable and the headwind I had on the way into work earlier was now a headwind in the way home! Lovely...

Just the normal small commute but for the first time this year I felt miserable on the bike, cold and windy. Some skumbag had a go at me at Bluebell too, getting quite tired of the **** there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Absolutely the worst morning commute in a long time. 45kph sidewind from the east, channelling between the buildings into a headwind but NEVER tailwind, rain and hail that disappears every single time you decide to stop and put the jacket on, and that fecking ironic rainbow at the very end.

I'd rather cycle in a downpour, hurricane, snowstorm, you name it, there is at least that smugness of surviving hardship in it, but this undecided moody shoite is beyond my mental capabilities.

Ugh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement