Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drew Harris appointed Garda commissioner.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

timthumbni wrote: »
    West brits????

Wtf are you a mod on exactly????? The drunk, crying, tricolour pants wearing republican forum?????.

Looks like I hit a nerve there :pac:

Give over, that particular poster is more than happy to have a go at everyone else and give out about the shinners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well as long as he doesn’t try to discredit whistle-blowers and then lie about it. He’ll be a improvement. It’s a pretty low bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

He can't be any worse than the last one surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

so after a worldwide search of the worlds police forces this is the best they could appoint?

absolute joke

Go on then.What’s your objection to him?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

I don't know how people forget this so easily. There is strong suspicion of British security force involvement in the Dublin and Monaghan bombs, it wasn't long ago that British security members were shooting Irish people dead on our streets, shooting kids, shooting people going to GAA matches and so on. This fella has links to mi5, why should we trust him?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What matters of State security do you imagine he will be passing on to MI5 - everybody knows the Nuclear fallout bunker is under the Costume Barracks in Athlone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custume_Barracks Do we have any other secrets that might be useful to a 'foreign' power - the very one we would turn if we were threatened by terrorists/Russia etc.

he may disclose where all the iodine tablets are kept :eek:
    Looks like I hit a nerve there :pac:

Give over, that particular poster is more than happy to have a go at everyone else and give out about the shinners

You're definitely a giver, not a taker aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There was no way any US police chief would get this job. They carry guns you see.

Aus and NZ were out too because of (perhaps) their lack of knowledge of the history of Ireland. Sorry I don't mean to denigrate such candidates, it is just an observation, nothing to do with their competence in their own countries.

So we now have a PSNI Deputy Chief Constable, Presbyterian, great work ethic, knows the score and has seen his own force totally transformed. He can be an Irish citizen, a British citizen or both under GFA and that is why it may work.

I can kind of see why the PAS had him in their sights alright.

I wish him all the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    I don't know how people forget this so easily. There is strong suspicion of British security force involvement in the Dublin and Monaghan bombs, it wasn't long ago that British security members were shooting Irish people dead on our streets, shooting kids, shooting people going to GAA matches and so on. This fella has links to mi5, why should we trust him?

It's a freemason plot I fear.

Taytoland wrote: »

Let's not forget the civilians killed by the RUC also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Anyone who despises cowardly murderous IRA bastards can't be all bad.

I know you're a troll but the IRA formed as a result of the policies of a violent and sectarian state. The vast majority down south supported them in their struggle against the orange lunatics. Lets not completely revise history to garner a few thanks on boards. The RUC and their ilk were also murderous bastards.

Let's not forget the civilians killed by the RUC also.
    Or the great Garda officers slaughtered by IRA scum. He will get on very  well with the Garda.

Or the great Garda officers slaughtered by IRA scum. He will get on very  well with the Garda.

The innocents slaughtered by the RUC and the British security forces were not in the IRA!

Bottom line for me is, will he change the mindset in AGS, will he get cops out patrolling the streets and protecting us, will he tackle organised crime and dissos, will he be able to sack corrupt Gardai, and will he have the support and the budget to do all this?

I hope he has cojones the size of melons for this task. Fair play to him for applying, and being selected. He knows he can do it, I hope he succeeds.

Shredders to the metal in Headquarters tonight. Although I'd say most of the Senior ranks had an idea anyway. They know everything of course, but seem to do very little with a lot of information they have really. Thinking of crash and burn robberies from our ethnic friends and so much more. Reactive rather than proactive. CCTV shows someone being beaten up and murdered, and they arrive post event. I know they cannot be everywhere, you'd want to be a right numpty to think that, but there are no patrols anywhere! Hope that changes quickly.

Charlie Flanagan needs to keep a weather eye on this for sure just in case there are any more backdoor shenanigans.

I know they cannot be everywhere, you'd want to be a right numpty to think that, but there are no patrols anywhere! Hope that changes quickly.

you don't see too many patrols of PSNI out in Northern Ireland either

The innocents slaughtered by the RUC and the British security forces were not in the IRA!

Stop living in the past. Both could play this game all day. He's now the main man, get used to it.

• Advertisement

Stop living in the past. Both could play this game all day. He's now the main man, get used to it.

Play what game? This man was apart of an organisation who killed innocents and he was heavily linked with an organisation who shot dead innocents on our streets. Why are you okay with that?

bubblypop wrote: »
    you don't see too many patrols of PSNI out in Northern Ireland either

I don't see them! Of course I don't, I live in the South.

I'm not sure what your point is.

Maybe Belfast or the likes are paragons of virtue and they don't need patrols anymore, but sure as heck city centre of Dublin does. I witnessed two incidents in the past week that were terrifying, but no police presence for the forty five minutes I was trapped in the shop before being released when the boys and girls in blue eventually turned up, someone could have been killed it was awful. Jaysus that's not right, neither am I after it either.

Anyway just to say, we are talking about the South here. He will get the message I hope that cops are just not patrolling anymore at all, well at least in Dublin. Disgraceful in a capital city. But I blame the Supers, they are the managers, but the tail seems to wag the dog, or maybe it is just precedent. I dunno.

There does not have to be a blanket police presence, but SOME presence would be reassuring. It is so obvious by its absence and I don't know why that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

pearcider wrote: »
    The vast majority down south supported them in their struggle against the orange lunatics.

No doubt that's why SF were pulling in vote percentages well into the single digits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

so after a worldwide search of the worlds police forces this is the best they could appoint?

absolute joke

Explain please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Odhinn wrote: »
    ….the PSNI, formerly the RUC, notoriously secretive and a law unto themselves. He'll fit right in.

You wouldn't know any other police force in that mold, would you?
    The RUC were utter scum as well, or had you forgotten that.

All of them? Or, like OP, do you mean simply that they were all Protestants?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Play what game? This man was apart of an organisation who killed innocents and he was heavily linked with an organisation who shot dead innocents on our streets. Why are you okay with that?

So is every single Sinn Fein party member.

how many senior party members have blood on their hands or do you only apply your standards to the other side ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

No doubt that's why SF were pulling in vote percentages well into the single digits.

SF were to all intents and purposes defunct in the Republic since 1926. They then became FF who spent far longer in power than the blue shirts. The current SF from 1970 are really a Northern Ireland party and far too left wing for the south hence the low poll numbers. But hey don't let a bit of history get in the way of your sarcastic trolling.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    So is every single Sinn Fein party member.

how many senior party members have blood on their hands or do you only apply your standards to the other side ?

What Sinn Fein member has just been appointed Garda commissioner? Why are people here excusing murder?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD the man's religion has nothing to do with his ability to do his job so I have removed it from the thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Hope he takes some of that RUC murderous justice to the gang feuds that are going on across Dublin.

Feckin protestants..coming down here, taking our jobs..

Sheeps wrote: »
    Hope he takes some of that RUC murderous justice to the gang feuds that are going on across Dublin.

The ruc killed many innocents!

What Sinn Fein member has just been appointed Garda commissioner? Why are people here excusing murder?

Plenty of them in the dail and in councils nationwide,

im not excusing murders but treat them both the same why dont you ?

Martin McGuinness was deputy first minister and a presidential candidate and most certainly was involved in murders

Adams sat in the dail and ditto as well as many many more

The ruc killed many innocents!

shinnerbot gona overheat in the weather lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Ah Jaysus lads he's a nordie so what, he has done a good job in an infinitely harder environment, and really could anyone be worse than the last few ones.

• Advertisement

Plenty of them in the dail and in councils nationwide,

im not excusing murders but treat them both the same why dont you ?

Martin McGuinness was deputy first minister and a presidential candidate and most certainly was involved in murders

Adams sat in the dail and ditto as well as many many more

Who said different? This is a thread on the new Garda commissioner, what has that got to with Sinn Féin?

Are you okay with the new Garda commissioner having been a member of and had links to groups who murdered innocents?

Do you have to be a shinner to be against the murder of innocent Irish people????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Glad it's not an internal appointment. There's some serious issues of corruption in the Gardai and someone external is needed to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Formerly of the RUC and has close links to British Intelligence. Nope, I'm not comfortable nor happy with that.

Well in fairness he's not wrong. It's nothing to do with Sinn Fein. It's the fact that the RUC were engaged in multiple counts of terrorist collusion as established by multiple investigations. David Cameron issued an apology over RUC terrorist collusion so by your logic he must be an udercover IRA man too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And the innocents slaughtered by the IRA were not in the RUC or British security forces.

Honestly who really gives a fvck about his religion, give him a year and let's see if he does a good job or not.

And the innocents slaughtered by the IRA were not in the RUC or British security forces.

Honestly who really gives a fvck about his religion, give him a year and let's see if he does a good job or not.

The new Garda commissioner wasn't in the IRA! If he was then you'd raise a valid point but no, he was in the RUC who have a disgusting record of murder and violence.

Feckin protestants..coming down here, taking our jobs..

As long as he's not drinking our beer or shagging our women he'll be ok.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭Allinall

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd rather have someone from our terrorists than someone from their terrorists.

Why?

As I mentioned repeatedly on here my uncle set up the civil rights movement in NI and became a member of the SDLP. He was involved in RUC reform and says Drew has the same view of the RUC as many here. That is terrorist colluding sociopaths. It's worth noting that Drew said this of the police force:
    One of the region’s most senior officers, Deputy Chief Constable Drew Harris, said he was optimistic that if political and civic society worked with the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), representation levels of Catholics at recruitment could reach 50 per cent within five years.

In other words he made a big effort to remove the bigotry of the force.

The new Garda commissioner wasn't in the IRA! If he was then you'd raise a valid point but no, he was in the RUC who have a disgusting record of murder and violence.

And has been pointed out to you MANY Sinn fein members are also part of an organisation that have the same/worse decor. Where is your thread on them?

I mean one day they might get into power (snigger) and one of them may become minister for justice (snigger, snigger) so surely that are just as dangerous to the country right?

I hope he’s like that Inspector Campbell character from PeakyBlinders.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'd rather have someone from our terrorists than someone from their terrorists.

At least you're finally admitting that the IRA were terrorists ;)

• Advertisement

And has been pointed out to you MANY Sinn fein members are also part of an organisation that have the same/worse decor. Where is your thread on them?

I mean one day they might get into power (snigger) and one of them may become minister for justice (snigger, snigger) so surely that are just as dangerous to the country right?

What the hell is this? I don't support Sinn Féin, the IRA anyone. The murdered a load of people. What has that got to do with the ruc and the British security forces murdering innocents?

Between this, the Price Harry visit and the hot weather, the Shinnerbots are going into meltdown.

What the hell is this? I don't support Sinn Féin, the IRA anyone. The murdered a load of people. What has that got to do with the ruc and the British security forces murdering innocents?

About as much to do with the thread as your own droning whines that you seem to think are coherent, RUC this British security forces that :rolleyes:

Let the man do his job and let's see what happens and stop seeing black and tans under your bed.

About as much to do with the thread as your own droning whines that you seem to think are coherent, RUC this British security forces that :rolleyes:

Let the man do his job and let's see what happens and stop seeing black and tans under your bed.

If it was a former IRA member appointed as Garda commissioner would you say the same?

• Advertisement
Advertisement