Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drew Harris appointed Garda commissioner.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Where are we? In court? I don't have to do anything and the files have been long destroyed.

So if I said Gerry Adams was definitely in the IRA, Enda Kenny wears leopard skin budgie smugglers and boards poster DONTMATTER was a member of a swinging site you would take all of those claims as fact or would you ask.me.for evidence to back up my claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Where are we? In court? I don't have to do anything and the files have been long destroyed.

I have no doubt that if someone said Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams were IRA leaders you'd be asking for proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Why would it be highlighted in the piece if it's inconsequential? As regards moving into this century - no thanks - hell will freeze over before I embrace the Irish language/the GAA/SF etc. Thanks for the advice though.

You don't have to. There's a huge surge in support for a united Ireland post-Brexit. The people happy to stay in the past will be left there.
    Brexit has caused a huge surge in support for a united Ireland among the population of Northern Ireland, according to new research.

A poll by YouGov commissioned by the BBC found that a referendum or “border poll” on whether to leave the UK would now be a close-run result, with undecided voters having the casting vote.

Over a quarter of people in the six counties say they have changed their mind since the Brexit vote and now support a united Ireland – bringing polling for a referendum to 45 per cent staying in the UK and 42 per cent leaving it, with 13 per cent undecided.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

So if I said Gerry Adams was definitely in the IRA, Enda Kenny wears leopard skin budgie smugglers and boards poster DONTMATTER was a member of a swinging site you would take all of those claims as fact or would you ask.me.for evidence to back up my claim?

That's why I asked you on the last page about any evidence of Gerry Adams being in the IRA. Do you have any?
    It's on the same scale as this.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I have no doubt that if someone said Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams were IRA leaders you'd be asking for proof.

No because of course they were in the IRA, I don't have proof though. The denials of British security forces involvement in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings is on the same scale as I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Between this, the Price Harry visit and the hot weather, the Shinnerbots are going into meltdown.

Take a stroll around any middlin size Irish town and try counting those who know anything about the "Four Green Fields".....this place has moved far beyond what lots on here,may be comfortable with.....Commissioner Harris's stance on Pride Week and LGBT inclusion,will be of far more relevance to modern Irish of all persuasions....;)

This'll be the man to Police the hardish/softish post Brexit landscape too...;)

(Wonder if he is any relation of Eoghan Harris...Anne Harris....or Pino Harris.....?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Patww79 wrote: »
    He's a northern loyalist.

So no evidence at all that he feels this way just you're assertations that he is A so he must want B :rolleyes:

As I said, idiotic post and an idiotic claim.
    He's not too far wrong, I met him in the local orange hall, he's brilliant on the flute playing the sash during band practice and in his spare time attends Mason meetings along with myself and all the senior DUP members as we plot on a way to make the South Protestant.

He was making €200k in his former job.

Price of housing and cost of living down here he will be worse off.

And as a public servant he'll be paying c. 58% tax (probably slightly more when the 10% extra PRD tax for all public servants is added on to PAYE, USC and PRSI) on all his income above €32,000. While the hardworking tradesmen and handymen of Ireland, among other businesses, pay all their taxes and out of principle would never dream of doing cash jobs, these bleedin' public servants are bleedin this country dry so they are...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Take a stroll around any middlin size Irish town and try counting those who know anything about the "Four Green Fields".....this place has moved far beyond what lots on here,may be comfortable with.....Commissioner Harris's stance on Pride Week and LGBT inclusion,will be of far more relevance to modern Irish of all persuasions....;)

This'll be the man to Police the hardish/softish post Brexit landscape too...;)

(Wonder if he is any relation of Eoghan Harris...Anne Harris....or Pino Harris.....?

Or Richard Harris *the Bull" - now there was a man who knew about Green Fields.

4rentcrisis.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

Taytoland wrote: »
    He's not too far wrong, I met him in the local orange hall, he's brilliant on the flute playing the sash during band practice and in his spare time attends Mason meetings along with myself and all the senior DUP members as we plot on a way to make the South Protestant.

Nobody in the south cares about Protestantism,Catholicism,religion,loyalism or nationalism, we have normal every day things to worry about, it will be a welcome relief for all the people of the north east of this island when they realise this upon unification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I hope someone from ROI will take his place as Deputy CC of PSNI.

Joking, but still, in time, it could happen!

Well maybe not from the current or past crop of AGS. Backs away now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So having skimmed over a few of the first pages.

IRA, UDA, Corruption, MI5, United Ireland.

Welcome to After Hours!

Best of luck to the guy, hopefully we will see some real changes maybe if the Garda get the house in order we can then work on the judicial system.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Why would it be highlighted in the piece if it's inconsequential? As regards moving into this century - no thanks - hell will freeze over before I embrace the Irish language/the GAA/SF etc. Thanks for the advice though.

You don't have to. There's a huge surge in support for a united Ireland post-Brexit. The people happy to stay in the past will be left there.
    Brexit has caused a huge surge in support for a united Ireland among the population of Northern Ireland, according to new research.

A poll by YouGov commissioned by the BBC found that a referendum or “border poll” on whether to leave the UK would now be a close-run result, with undecided voters having the casting vote.

Over a quarter of people in the six counties say they have changed their mind since the Brexit vote and now support a united Ireland – bringing polling for a referendum to 45 per cent staying in the UK and 42 per cent leaving it, with 13 per cent undecided.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44468686

[font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Latest figures from the Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey suggest there is still a substantial majority in favour of Northern Ireland remaining in the UK.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The survey, which was set up by Queen's and Ulster Universities, found that 55% of those interviewed would vote for Northern Ireland to remain in the UK.[/font]
    [font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]This compares to only 22% who said they would back a United Ireland.[/font]

And as a public servant he'll be paying c. 58% tax (probably slightly more when the 10% extra PRD tax for all public servants is added on to PAYE, USC and PRSI) on all his income above €32,000. While the hardworking tradesmen and handymen of Ireland, among other businesses, pay all their taxes and out of principle would never dream of doing cash jobs, these bleedin' public servants are bleedin this country dry so they are...

That is irrelevant. He knew all this before putting his name and application forward. What fkn planet are you all living on.

It is the stepping stone. Who cares as long as he sorts out the doughnut munchers in the Garda Stations and gets some work done.

It is only five years. That is nothing. He has to do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

flas wrote: »
    Nobody in the south cares about Protestantism,Catholicism,religion,loyalism or nationalism, we have normal every day things to worry about, it will be a welcome relief for all the people of the north east of this island when they realise this upon unification

Judging from this thread your statement is on wobbly ground, and this thread is typical of many a pub conversation about our northern brethren.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Any links to that? I think he already has two years in Scotland's police force so he has that anyway.

I'm sure his contract precludes any payoff or pensions contributions if he leaves before his tenure/contract is up.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/george-hamilton-named-as-new-psni-chief-constable-30315184.html

The father-of-four from Bangor was the only officer in the PSNI eligible to apply for the post after the Policing Board, which is the PSNI's oversight body, opted to retain the controversial criterion which required all candidates to have served at senior command level outside Northern Ireland.

Any links to what postion(s) he held in Scotland? Any links to those contract details?

This exactly. I'm a Catholic with Protestant family members and let me tell you there's zero difference. The Northern examples on here who talk about their own kind as "prods" are something not seen in normal society.

Judging from this thread your statement is on wobbly ground, and this thread is typical of many a pub conversation about our northern brethren.

From you mainly....
    Well, I watched that and the only really bit of sense was spoken by Seamus Mallon - make haste slowly! All the old bull showing a handful of Prods doing Irish dancing gives me the heebie-jeebies and is truly cringeworthy.

With respect this thread is proof that some people can't seem to let it go. Why are some against this appointment? His Orange membership should not be a reason against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Crikey Man..ye need'nt worry on that score...apart from Sporty types,there's feic all embracin of the rest around the provinces....Modern Irish folks are more concerned about the availability of flights to their dacha's in Spain or other European spots....

Many may feel a certain sadness at it,but reality points to a modern Ireland that has effectively,NO historical baggage.

Much of this is connected to the long and close relationship which the Church of Rome enjoyed with "Nationalism".

One of the unintended consequences of our "New"..."Enlightened" and "Modern" attitude to the Catholic Church is that the historical ....mmmm ?...Non Religious...? elements of Irish Catholicism now count for little,as they slide away in the memories of the 20 somethings of 1979....now often battling the ravages of dementia,alzheimers and the rest.

Time,marches on :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

With respect this thread is proof that some people can't seem to let it go. Why are some against this appointment? His Orange membership should not be a reason against it.

Nice try. Given his views on the order I think that's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Oh dear, obviously written by somebody too young to remember the Troubles? The vast majority down south supported them - Lol - sure they did, as the IRA threatened to bring down civil war on the whole populace down here and routinely shot members of our police force, kidnapped people and ran kangaroo courts. A wonderful bunch altogether. :rolleyes:

When did the IRA threaten to bring down civil war on the republic? Don't be ridiculous. They were fighting from being cowed by a brutal and unyielding sectarian establishment. It all kicked off with the civil rights movement and the violent response of the Unionists to that. There's plenty of evidence of the RUC battering peaceful catholic protestors in the archives. You're trying to revise history pal. Go back to school.

If anything it was the UK who agitated for spreading the conflict south with the Monaghan and Dublin bombings. You might want to look up the arms crisis or the hunger strikes and see the public reaction in the south to that. Certainly didn't do haughey any harm. But I expect you won't since you're a troll and nothing more.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/george-hamilton-named-as-new-psni-chief-constable-30315184.html

The father-of-four from Bangor was the only officer in the PSNI eligible to apply for the post after the Policing Board, which is the PSNI's oversight body, opted to retain the controversial criterion which required all candidates to have served at senior command level outside Northern Ireland.

Any links to what postion(s) he held in Scotland? Any links to those contract details?

https://www.psni.police.uk/inside-psni/our-leadership/Deputy-Chief-Constable-Drew-Harris/ Fifth pargraph down. Take it as you will. I'm just quoting here.

steddyeddy wrote: »

This exactly. I'm a Catholic with Protestant family members and let me tell you there's zero difference. The Northern examples on here who talk about their own kind as "prods" are something not seen in normal society.
    It's a forum for entertainment purposes, in reality most people don't talk about these issues in everyday life and I certainly have never heard such political talk when I'm with Catholics married into my own family, it's just a bit of fun.

The anti British sentiment is just below the surface all the time. Why is that, have we not moved on with GFA and all that.

Jeeeeesus it is painful now. Move on or forever be a fossil.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

https://www.psni.police.uk/inside-psni/our-leadership/Deputy-Chief-Constable-Drew-Harris/ Fifth pargraph down. Take it as you will. I'm just quoting here.

Not high enough up. Hamilton was the only officer in 2014 with the correct qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well given he's from the north he can't be blamed for anything that went on in the past in Ireland. The last thing we want is another 'sack the commissioner' debacle. Not that I know much about him he does seem to be someone of some considerable experience and ability. I give him 6 months.

hell will freeze over before I embrace the Irish language/the GAA/SF etc.

Ah here, punish yourself a little more for being Irish..........

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

It was 21% in another poll who want a United Ireland last month. Maybe he just got appointed because he is highly experienced and great at his job. I do find it funny though how some think it is some grand conspiracy for unification. :cheerful:

Yes, you`re correct, it was 21% of a face to face survey. Some on line survey which you could`nt trust came up with 42%

Also 47% of the NI population consider themselves UK citizens

UI is a long way off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That's why I asked you on the last page about any evidence of Gerry Adams being in the IRA. Do you have any?
    It's on the same scale as this.

I never claimed he was! You made claims im.askiny you to back them up with evidence.

Do you not understand how this works?

Advertisement