Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drew Harris appointed Garda commissioner.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Gardai must think a United Ireland is on the cards in the next while, getting the integration process started early

My thoughts almost exactly (I'd say the senior civil servants are factoring it in at this stage), and that BBC poll last week is making it clear how things are changing in the North regarding reunification.

42% of people in North want a United Ireland

Fewer NI people feel British than other UK regions
    It was 21% in another poll who want a United Ireland last month. Maybe he just got appointed because he is highly experienced and great at his job. I do find it funny though how some think it is some grand conspiracy for unification. :cheerful:

Gardai must think a United Ireland is on the cards in the next while, getting the integration process started early

wrong way dear chap.

Best dig out those union flags you've been keeping in store for all those years.

God save our gra.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

New broom sweeps clean and all that. He has first hand experience of root and branch reform in a Police force. I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt over another insider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

gandalf wrote:
    I suspect a few senior Gardai will now resign early in a huff though....

With luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I feel sorry for the man when he sees how bad our judicial system he will regret taking the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,157 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I feel sorry for the man when he sees how bad our judicial system he will regret taking the job.

with a salary of €250,000 a year i'm sure he will put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

with a salary of €250,000 a year i'm sure he will put up with it.

He was making €200k in his former job.

Price of housing and cost of living down here he will be worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,157 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He was making €200k in his former job.

Price of housing and cost of living down here he will be worse off.

really? his basic salary as a deputy chief constable was in the region of 163,000. they get allowances on top of that so about 180,000 in total. His basic salary will be 250,000 (about £220,000) plus most like some allowances as well. Its a nice little bump. Not forgetting whatever they put into his pension pot as well. Plus he will still be young enough for a Chief Constable position in the uk at the end of his 5 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

so after a worldwide search of the worlds police forces this is the best they could appoint?

absolute joke

Pay cap of 250k. Heads of top police forces around the world probably unlikely to uproot their family to come to expensive Ireland to take charge of a police force in a jurisdiction they no nothing about for that amount.

No surprise that the appointee is someone with a knowledge of Irish policing. On what basis do you think they're not suitable for the job?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Aegir wrote: »
    wrong way dear chap.

Best dig out those union flags you've been keeping in store for all those years.

I suppose no wonder the west brits are so protective of the monarchy, when theyve got nothing else to believe in, zero chance of Ireland rejoining UK, not even a chance of joining the commonwealth, United Ireland getting more likely, british army about to get hammered in the courts, Brexit tearing apart the union, dark times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

wrong way dear chap.

I suppose no wonder the west brits are so protective of the monarchy, when theyve got nothing else to believe in, zero chance of Ireland rejoining UK, not even a chance of joining the commonwealth, United Ireland getting more likely, british army about to get hammered in the courts, Brexit tearing apart the union, dark times

West brits????

Wtf are you a mod on exactly????? The drunk, crying, tricolour pants wearing republican forum?????.

timthumbni wrote: »
    wrong way dear chap.

I suppose no wonder the west brits are so protective of the monarchy, when theyve got nothing else to believe in, zero chance of Ireland rejoining UK,  not even a chance of joining the commonwealth, United Ireland getting more likely, british army about to get hammered in the courts, Brexit tearing apart the union, dark times

West brits????  

Wtf are you a mod on exactly?????  The drunk, crying, tricolour pants wearing republican forum?????.
    It's because he's a Prod some don't like it. So much for the equality, tolerance and respect agenda. The guy has more than enough qualifications for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

West brits????

Wtf are you a mod on exactly????? The drunk, crying, tricolour pants wearing republican forum?????.

Or *****, as most people refer to them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The RUC were utter scum as well, or had you forgotten that.

Generalisation much. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    His dad, an RUC Superintendent, having being killed in an IRA attack would make him a bit of an odd choice to head up AGS alright -.

The IRA murdered members of AGS too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Great move because lets be honest another internal appointment would have been a disaster. I don't think high ranking Gardai will make it easy for him. Hopefully he's a tough nut who starts reform swiftly against a tide of resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Unless they separate Garda policing from national security functions this makes no sense.

Harris' loyalty has always been to a foreign power. It was revealed at the Smithwick Tribunal that as PSNI head of intelligence he was its interface with MI5. Hardly a safe set of hands for matters of national security.

No adverse reflection on Harris' character intended : he appears to be a talented, experienced and principled Police officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wish him well.

I hope he gets the support he deserves from the rank and file who were thwarted by corruption and ineptitude over many years.

The support for him may just come from those not far up the ranks. I hope he gets a decent budget and support. Could be the best thing ever for this country. Hope so anyway.

Am not one bit worried or even thinking of the fact that he is ex PSNI, they had to go through their own very painful reforms and transition and it has worked reasonably well. So he knows what cleaning out a dodgy organisation is like!

Am very pleased it wasn't another insider.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Unless they separate Garda policing from national security functions this makes no sense.

Harris' loyalty has always been to a foreign power. It was revealed at the Smithwick Tribunal that as PSNI head of intelligence he was its interface with MI5. Hardly a safe set of hands for matters of national security.

No adverse reflection on Harris' character intended : he appears to be a talented, experienced and principled Police officer.

What matters of State security do you imagine he will be passing on to MI5 - everybody knows the Nuclear fallout bunker is under the Costume Barracks in Athlone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custume_Barracks Do we have any other secrets that might be useful to a 'foreign' power - the very one we would turn if we were threatened by terrorists/Russia etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

West brits????

Looks like I hit a nerve there :pac:

Give over, that particular poster is more than happy to have a go at everyone else and give out about the shinners

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well as long as he doesn’t try to discredit whistle-blowers and then lie about it. He’ll be a improvement. It’s a pretty low bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

He can't be any worse than the last one surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

so after a worldwide search of the worlds police forces this is the best they could appoint?

absolute joke

Go on then.What’s your objection to him?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

I don't know how people forget this so easily. There is strong suspicion of British security force involvement in the Dublin and Monaghan bombs, it wasn't long ago that British security members were shooting Irish people dead on our streets, shooting kids, shooting people going to GAA matches and so on. This fella has links to mi5, why should we trust him?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    What matters of State security do you imagine he will be passing on to MI5 - everybody knows the Nuclear fallout bunker is under the Costume Barracks in Athlone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custume_Barracks Do we have any other secrets that might be useful to a 'foreign' power - the very one we would turn if we were threatened by terrorists/Russia etc.

he may disclose where all the iodine tablets are kept :eek:
    Looks like I hit a nerve there :pac:

Give over, that particular poster is more than happy to have a go at everyone else and give out about the shinners

You're definitely a giver, not a taker aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There was no way any US police chief would get this job. They carry guns you see.

Aus and NZ were out too because of (perhaps) their lack of knowledge of the history of Ireland. Sorry I don't mean to denigrate such candidates, it is just an observation, nothing to do with their competence in their own countries.

So we now have a PSNI Deputy Chief Constable, Presbyterian, great work ethic, knows the score and has seen his own force totally transformed. He can be an Irish citizen, a British citizen or both under GFA and that is why it may work.

I can kind of see why the PAS had him in their sights alright.

I wish him all the best.

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    I don't know how people forget this so easily. There is strong suspicion of British security force involvement in the Dublin and Monaghan bombs, it wasn't long ago that British security members were shooting Irish people dead on our streets, shooting kids, shooting people going to GAA matches and so on. This fella has links to mi5, why should we trust him?

It's a freemason plot I fear.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Taytoland wrote: »
    It's a freemason plot I fear.

Let's not forget the civilians killed by the RUC also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Anyone who despises cowardly murderous IRA bastards can't be all bad.

I know you're a troll but the IRA formed as a result of the policies of a violent and sectarian state. The vast majority down south supported them in their struggle against the orange lunatics. Lets not completely revise history to garner a few thanks on boards. The RUC and their ilk were also murderous bastards.

Advertisement