Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP thread for people involved in film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

Adam Schlesinger.

Probably most famous for his poppy tune "Stacey's Mom" but he earned an Oscar nod for writing the main theme for the 1997 film "That Thing You Do". He also composed and produced songs for several films. Another one taken by the dreaded CoViD19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Schlesinger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Lee Fierro who played Mrs. Kintner in Jaws – the grieving mother who slaps Brody has died aged 91 of Conona related complications.

Lee-Fierro-jaws.jpg

Shirley Douglas

Had some movie parts, most notably hunting dinosaurs in Barney's Great Adventure, but is probably more known in the movie business as the mother of Kiefer Sutherland and ex-wife to Donald Sutherland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Douglas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

p to the e wrote: »
    Shirley Douglas

Had some movie parts, most notably hunting dinosaurs in Barney's Great Adventure, but is probably more known in the movie business as the mother of Kiefer Sutherland and ex-wife to Donald Sutherland.
    The death was announced by Kiefer Sutherland on Twitter

Worked with some interesting directors ...
    A native of Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Douglas worked with famed directors including Stanley Kubrick ("Lolita") and David Cronenberg ("Dead Ringers"), and won a Gemini Award for her performance in the 1999 TV film "Shadow Lake."
    ... and came from an interesting political family too.
    Daughter of Irma May (Dempsey) and Tommy Douglas, Saskatchewan Premier from 1944 to 1961, the first Leader of the NDP, from 1961 to 1971, and the founder of Canada's Medicare.

Fap material for a generation, Honor Blackman, aka Pussy Galore has died aged 94. She most definitely had "it"

ECmawibWkAcgLS-.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fap material for a generation, Honor Blackman, aka Pussy Galore has died aged 94. She most definitely had "it

RIP

I enjoyed her in The Upper Hand (UK's take on Whose the Boss)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

She was awesome! It's such a pity that her years in the Avengers were before the American sales deal her series are shot on tape with wobbly transfers for the most part.

Jay Benedict who played Newt's dad in Aliens has died aged 68 due to Corona related complications. He also had roles in The Dark Knight Rises and the VanDamme cheese fest, Double Team. More recently he was in Emmerdale apparently.

92729243_10158213718925960_7778183281974968320_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=2OHPIKRnaDMAX8xA8xj&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=6a7b2a6223aed1e84f5fac51114d1985&oe=5EB0A7F4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

James Drury, The Virginian, also passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Allen Garfield, a character actor who always seemed to play weasels and leches, has died at the age of 80 from covid-19
    MV5BNTVjYTlkOTQtN2YxZC00NWI1LWE3MmQtYjAzMjVhNWFjMDQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,885_AL_.jpg

• Advertisement

Allen Garfield, a character actor who always seemed to play weasels and leches, has died at the age of 80 from covid-19
    MV5BNTVjYTlkOTQtN2YxZC00NWI1LWE3MmQtYjAzMjVhNWFjMDQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,885_AL_.jpg

He also played the verbally abusive police chief in Beverly Hills Cop 2

Dieter Lasar, the mad scientist from The Human Centipede died at the end of February, it was just announced last night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sad news from Japan that Nobuhiko Obayashi has died - best known as the director of the cult masterpiece House (Hausu). One of the my favourite films thanks to its mix of wild colour, tonal insanity and ghoulishly surreal comedy. His recent late work Hanagatami is also well worth a look - that beyond hyper-stylised aesthetic of House ramped up further in service of a really fascinating epic melodrama.

https://twitter.com/LWLies/status/1248640539794247685?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hilary Heath passed last week due to COVID-19 complications. In front of the camera, she was probably best known for starring alongside Vincent Price in Witchfinder General, The Oblong Box and Cry of the Banshee, as well as numerous other roles in TV, stage, and cinema. She turned producer in the 90s, making films like Nil by Mouth and An Awfully Big Adventure. On top of all that, she obtained a Masters in psychology from Oxford, and worked as an addiction counsellor. She was 74.

She was a real looker. Must have seen most of her film appearances.

Joel M Reed, writer and director of infamous 70s sleaze fest Blood Sucking Freaks has died at the ripe old age of 86.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

RIP Brian Dennehy, too many films to mention

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/04/brian-dennehy-dead/

peteeeed wrote: »

Ah feck. Remember him being a regular on Gay's late late show. Great character actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

He was perfectly cast in Gorky Park, the right amount of menace, even when he smiled. RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

RIP

I enjoyed FX

First Blood, FX, Best Seller, Silverado all terrific Dennehy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Think he was in Coocon(1985) too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭RichT

Thought he was great in To Catch a Killer (the story of John Wayne Gacy)

RIP Brian

He played villains really well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I think he lived in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RIP. Superb actor, did some very good stage work as well.

RIP Brian, always enjoyed his appearance in the South Park movie.

c8fc3227-c748-403b-972e-2c3ca7094911_screenshot.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Too many films to mention is right.

Was lucky enough to catch him playing Bull McCabe around ten years back in The Olympia.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,879 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Loved Brian Dennehy one of my favorites since childhood.

I was always delighted when I saw a new Jack Reed TV film in my local video store.

I saw him in The Iceman Cometh at the Abbey back in the 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ah man that is a sad loss such a good actor.

• Advertisement

Was lucky enough to catch him playing Bull McCabe around ten years back in The Olympia.

RIP.

Fvck that would have been class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Am amazing actor.
    I remember seeing him in To Catch A killer, about John Gacy.
    He so easily played the role of this evil man, that it took me ages to get him out of my mind.

Requiescat In Pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

RIP, great actor thought he was fantastic as the Sheriff in First Blood and Chris Farley's Dad in Tommy Boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

RIP.

Saw him "the Iceman Cometh" in the Abbey theatre alongside Donald Moffat

They had a few beers in the "Horse and Tram on Eden Quay.

Boths nice guys and Moffat was a laugh a minute.

RIP
    Big Brian

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭McSween

Loved him. Cop, lawyer or alcoholic his films are brilliant. I can never remember which of the made for tv ones is which (the titles are so classic trye movie) but the Jack Reed ones stand out. A Killing in a Small Town is on youtube and also recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

RIP.

Saw that production also in Castlebar. He was typically good in it, though the adaption was ordinary enough I thought.

Following 'Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines' I was going to include Stuart Whitman, 92, on the veterans list; however, it transpires he also passed, just a month ago. Had parts in The Commancheros, The White Buffalo, plus a couple of episodes of the A-team among others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,879 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Allen Daviau, RIP.

The five-time Oscar-nominated cinematographer who worked on Steven Spielberg’s E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Empire of the Sun and The Color Purple, among many other films, died Wednesday of coronavirus. He was 77.

Daviau died at the Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital, the fourth resident at the facility to die of the virus.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/allen-daviau-dead-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-empire-of-the-sun-cinematographer-coronavirus-1202910470/

Phillipe Nahon who played the killer in french slasher High Tension and who also had parts in a couple of Gaspar Noe films has died.

Le_Tueur.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Nice to hear Brian speak about his career and his own Mortality:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

220px-Irrfan_Khan_May_2015.jpg

Irrfan Khan has died aged 53 of cancer. He was known outside India for roles in Slumdog Millionaire, Life of Pi, and Jurassic World.

https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/celebrities/story/irrfan-dies-at-53-in-mumbai-1672361-2020-04-29

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Irrfan Khan has died aged 53 of cancer. He was known outside India for roles in Slumdog Millionaire, Life of Pi, and Jurassic World.

https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/celebrities/story/irrfan-dies-at-53-in-mumbai-1672361-2020-04-29

Awww no :( I just heard that. I really liked him a lot. Lovely atmosphere about him.

Gynoid wrote: »
    Awww no :( I just heard that. I really liked him a lot. Lovely atmosphere about him.

Such a Pi-ty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

He was also terrific in season 3 of In Treatment, a lesser known HBO show starring Gabriel Byrne. Hugely talented actor.

According to that website, his 95-year old mother only died last Saturday.

He had wonderful screen presence, once of those guys who just draws attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

He was fantastic in Jurassic World. He cuts a great classical heroic figure as he pilots the helicopter out... and then disaster - the ropiest CGI helicopter I've seen in a big budget movie in years.

Talvar is on Netflix. I see it mentioned on lists of his best movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

He had wonderful screen presence, once of those guys who just draws attention

I saw one tribute describe him as having a philosophical style of acting. Which I think describes it well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Sorry to hear, he was quite so young still.
    Liked him also in The Namesake where he plays the father, and in The Lunchbox which is such a gentle movie.

otnomart wrote: »
    Liked him also in The Namesake where he plays the father, and in The Lunchbox which is such a gentle movie.
    Thanks for posting that - I didn't realise that it was him that was in The Lunchbox.

The Lunchbox is a good gentle romance - well worth a watch. (I think that it's a remake of an American film, but I can't remember which one). It had been on Netflix, but I don't think that it is any longer.

Nimrat Kaur who plays the woman in it, also has a role as an ISI agent in Homeland - and she said that it was her role in The Lunchbox that got her the role in Homeland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,928 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nice tribute from Tom Hanks, not delivered on his death but in an earlier interview.

EWx-ieiX0AEKKyh?format=jpg&name=medium

Advertisement