Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That is some career. Probably had his work seen by more people than any other artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

That is some career. Probably had his work seen by more people than any other artist.

definitely from casablanca to alien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The man was a ****ing design genius. He must have despaired at the photoshopped ****e that passes for poster art and design in the 21st century.

Guardian tribute here

https://www.theguardian.com/film/gallery/2018/may/21/bill-gold-film-posters-casablanca-exorcist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Clint Walker. Lot of TV appearances, Posey in The Dirty Dozen, Jack Killeen in The White Buffalo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

MfMan wrote: »
    Clint Walker. Lot of TV appearances, Posey in The Dirty Dozen, Jack Killeen in The White Buffalo etc.

Ah shite. Remember him from 'None but the Brave' and 'The Dirty Dozen' and 'Killdozer' and 'The White Buffalo' too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Night of the Grizzly was a favourite of mine as a kid. And SnowBeast of course. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

peteeeed wrote: »
    Bill gold
    legendary poster designer , 70 year career RIP

Cheers peteeeed, I must watch Barry Lyndon, I watched a featurette *just* about the lenses used in that film, to combat the candlelight issues in some scenes.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Cheers peteeeed, I must watch Barry Lyndon, I watched a featurette *just* about the lenses used in that film, to combat the candlelight issues in some scenes.

F0.7 which i cannot even imagine. They were originally made for NASA. At one stage you could rent the same lenses out by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ah shite. Remember him from 'None but the Brave' and 'The Dirty Dozen' and 'Killdozer' and 'The White Buffalo' too.

Jaysus 'Killdozer' , I remember watching that as a kid . One for the Film Club , right .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Back then TV movies were often pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Frank Doubleday (Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape From New York) has died at 73, he is also the father of actresses Portia Doubleday and Kaitlin Doubleday, he died on March 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ah man I lloved Frank he was brilliant in Assault on Precinct 13 as the white warlord “ice cream truck scene” was one of the toughest shocking scenes I’d seen in the 80’s.
    Also he was brilliant in Escape from New York as Romero such a flamboyant performance. RIP Frank only a few roles but you made a big impression!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He sorta scared me when I was a kid. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Glynn Edwards - British TV actor in pretty much everything; Dave The Barman for many years in Minder, met an ugly end in Get Carter.

alan o'neill irish actor
    mainly known for tv (sons of anarchy , fair city ) but was in a few films

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Irish-actor-Alan-ONeill-who-starred-in-Sons-of-Anarchy-and-Fair-City-has-died-at-47/405726.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Eunice Gayson died aged 90 RIP.
    “I admire your courage, Miss er…?”

“Trench. Sylvia Trench. I admire your luck Mr…?”

“Bond. James Bond.”

She was the first Bond Girl in Dr No and later in also appeared in From Russia With Love, She also was in a number of Hammer films.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/eunice-gayson-dr-no-star-first-bond-girl-dies-at-90-1118697

Richard Alan Greenberg has died aged 71.
    Richard Alan Greenberg, the Oscar-nominated effects artist who took main titles for movies to another level with his designs for such films as Superman, Alien and The World According to Garp, has died......

Greenberg's Oscar nomination was for best visual effects (shared with Stan Winston, Joel Hynek and his brother, Robert Greenberg) for John McTiernan's Predator (1987).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

quickbeam wrote: »
    Always wondered whether it'd be her or her sister (Olivia de Haviland for those who don't know) who would kick it first. I'd say the sister won't be long after.`

Still going strong 5 years on......

• Advertisement

Irish actor Derrick O'Connor has passed away aged 77.
    Versatile Irish character actor Derrick O’Connor died from pneumonia on June 29 in Santa Barbara, Calif. He was 77.

O’Connor was born in Dublin and raised in London. He had lived in the U.S. since 1990 and was most recently living in the Santa Ynez Valley, north of Santa Barbara with his wife, Mimi.

The actor starred in three of director Terry Gilliam’s films: “Time Bandits,” “Brazil,” and “Jabberwocky.” He played the villain Pieter Vorstedt in “Lethal Weapon 2” and worked opposite Arnold Schwarzenegger in “End of Days.”

He also appeared in John Boorman’s “Hope and Glory and “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.” One of his first movie roles came in the 1973 British science-fiction film “The Final Programme.”

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/obituary-irish-character-actor-derrick-oconnor-1202864783/

Cinematographer Robby Müller has died

worked with Jim Jarmusch, Lars von Trier and Wim Wenders among others

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/robby-muller-death-cinematographer-master-of-light-paris-texas-a8431026.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Claude Lanzmann has died at aged 92.

He directed Shoah, which I without hestitation would describe as the best documentary I have ever seen. An essential investigation of one of modern history’s darkest chapters and the people who experienced it, put together with formal and ethical rigour. There are a few films everybody should see... Shoah is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Claude Lanzmann has died at aged 92.

He directed Shoah, which I without hestitation would describe as the best documentary I have ever seen. An essential investigation of one of modern history’s darkest chapters and the people who experienced it, put together with formal and ethical rigour. There are a few films everybody should see... Shoah is one.

It’s a stunning documentary easily in my top 5.

Steve Ditko, co-creator and artist of Spider-man and Doctor Strange (amongst many others) has died aged 90. Sadly he had become something of a recluse, with no known surviving family members.

Tab Hunter died aged 86 RIP.
    With his All-American good looks, wavy blonde hair, piercing blue eyes, and toothy smile, Hunter rose to the top ranks of Hollywood leading men in the 1950’s and early ’60’s. He appeared in the likes of “Damn Yankees” and “Battle Cry,” and had chart-topping records such as “Young Love.” But at the height of his popularity, he was dogged by rumors that he was gay, a potentially career-ending rumor during that culturally conservative era. At one point, he was “outed” by the gossip rag, Confidential.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/tab-hunter-dead-dies-damn-yankees-star-gay-icon-1202868343/

Tab Hunter Confidential is a great documentary if you get a chance to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Tab Hunter died aged 86 RIP.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/tab-hunter-dead-dies-damn-yankees-star-gay-icon-1202868343/

Tab Hunter Confidential is a great documentary if you get a chance to see it.

I remember him fondly from my guilty pleasure Grease 2

Doug Grindstaff sound designer
    mainly known for the beeps in the original star trek

headed sound departments at Paramount & Columbia and worked for over 5 decades

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/doug-grindstaff-dead-star-trek-sound-effects-maestro-was-87-1130648

Bernard Hepton, English stage and screen actor. Was Toby Esterhase on TV's 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' and 'Smiley's People'. Also snivelly 'Thorpey' in 'Get Carter' who tries to set up Michael Caine.

• Advertisement

RIP Morgana King. She played Vitos wife Carmela in the first 2 Godfather films

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45194833

Advertisement