Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Aretha Franklin has died; not a movie star as such, but her music has featured in hundreds of movies, and she starred in the iconic diner scene in the original Blues Brothers. I watched that scene again, and could see what people meant when they said she was really bad at lip-syncing: she wanted to sing the song a little differently every time. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Neil Simon stage writer and much adapted for screen has died at 91. His screen-writing credit list is practically a check list of MOR comedy over a 20 year period.

After the Fox (1966)
    Barefoot in the Park (1967) †
    The Odd Couple (1968) †
    Sweet Charity (1969) †
    The Out-of-Towners (1970)
    Plaza Suite (1971) †
    Star Spangled Girl (1971) †
    Last of the Red Hot Lovers (1972) †
    The Heartbreak Kid (1972)
    The Prisoner of Second Avenue (1975)
    The Sunshine Boys (1975)
    Murder by Death (1976)
    The Goodbye Girl (1977)
    The Cheap Detective (1978)
    California Suite (1978) †
    Chapter Two (1979) †
    Seems Like Old Times (1980)
    Only When I Laugh (1981) ‡
    I Ought to Be in Pictures (1982) †
    Max Dugan Returns (1983)
    The Lonely Guy (1984) (adaptation only; screenplay by Ed. Weinberger and Stan Daniels)
    The Slugger's Wife (1985)
    Brighton Beach Memoirs (1986) †
    Biloxi Blues (1988) †
    The Marrying Man (1991)
    Lost in Yonkers (1993) †
    The Odd Couple II (1998)

I saw Lindsay Kemp died a couple of days ago: he did some straight acting on stage and in movies such as The Wicker Man (as the pub landlord), but was better known as a dancer and choreographer in films such as Jubilee and Velvet Goldmine. I knew his name as dance teacher to the stars e.g. he taught David Bowie, Kate Bush and others, appearing in her short film The Line, the Cross & the Curve.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

"Silvano "Nano" Campeggi was the artist who designed and produced the artwork for the posters of many classic Hollywood films"

Sixty-four of the films he illustrated won Oscars, including Casablanca, Ben-Hur, Singin' in the Rain, An American in Paris, West Side Story, Exodus, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and Gigi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvano_Campeggi

http://www.artophile.com/dynamic/artist_bio.asp?artistid=135

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

RIP Liz Fraser. Star of many a movie in the heyday of British comedy films.

https://twitter.com/TalkingPicsTV/status/1037765967743528962?s=20

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I wouldn't class Reynolds as someone less famous in films, quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Hurrache wrote: »
    I wouldn't class Reynolds as someone less famous in films, quite the opposite.

If Milos Foreman can be included in this thread anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

blue note wrote: »
    If Milos Foreman can be included in this thread anyone can.

I don't remember his death being front page news :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Liz Fraser best known for being in a number of the ‘ carry on’ films has died

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/liz-fraser-dead-carry-on-age-actor-star-death-a8528111.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bad week for carry on girls
    Fenella Fielding RIP
    Born in 1927
    Best known for the 'doctor in ' movies and carry on screaming in the 60's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

First Liz Fraiser and now Fenella Fielding. Two of my adolescent fantasies gone in a number of days.
    Fenella had the most incredible sexy voice.

RIP to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Carry on Screaming was probably peak Carry On. It had one of the great gags of the series "Do you mind if I smoke?"

l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Carry on Screaming was probably peak Carry On. It had one of the great gags of the series "Do you mind if I smoke?"

l.jpg

And of course Williams line at the end, "Frying tonight".
    Fenella Fielding had the sultriest voice.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

OldRio wrote: »
    First Liz Fraiser and now Fenella Fielding. Two of my adolescent fantasies gone in a number of days.
    Fenella had the most incredible sexy voice.

RIP to both.

Jeez... For a minute there I though you were talking about liz Fraser from cocteau twins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Dudley Sutton

RIP Urwin gone to join Fletch and Godber.

Thanks for the memories .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Dudley Sutton

RIP Urwin gone to join Fletch and Godber.

Thanks for the memories .
    I loved it when Urwin was going to "end it all" by chargeing into a plate glass door.
    Except the door was automatic and he ran into a policeman on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Peter Donat, who played Agent Fox Mulder’s father on “The X-Files” and acted in two Francis Ford Coppola films, died Monday at his home in Point Reyes, Calif. He was 90.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/peter-donat-dead-dies-agent-mulder-father-the-x-files-1202943293/

peter-donat_edited.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Al Mathews . . "Assholes and Elbows" serge from Aliens . .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hudson and now Apone

• Advertisement

Animation director Roger Mainwood has died — best known for Ethel & Ernest, Heavy Metal, and When The Wind Blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gary Kurtz, producer on films like 'Two-Lane Blacktop', 'American Graffiti' and 'Star Wars', dead from cancer at 78.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Drumpot wrote: »
    Al Mathews . . "Assholes and Elbows" serge from Aliens .

Found it strange that Aliens was on C4 last Saturday night before it was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Found it strange that Aliens was on C4 last Saturday night before it was announced.

That’s actually my favorite of the franchise... It’s on my “to watch” list over the next month.

Audrey Wells, screenwriter has died at age 58.
    Audrey Wells, screenwriter for the racial drama The Hate U Give, has died at age 58. Wells passed yesterday after a long and private battle with cancer. The film opens nationwide on Oct. 19....

A prolific and highly respected writer and director, Wells was a lifelong feminist whose creative voice frequently focused on strong female characters. That creative influence guided the roles in films she wrote and directed, including Under the Tuscan Sun and Guinevere, to the movies she wrote, including The Hate U Give and Shall We Dance, The Kid, The Truth About Cats and Dogs, and the animated movie Over the Moon, currently in production.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/audrey-wells-dies-writers-latest-film-the-hate-u-give-opens-today-1202477488/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Scott Wilson who played Hershel in the walking dead has died after a long battle with cancer aged 76. I also remember him in The Right Stuff, he recently filmed scenes for the upcoming season of the walking dead.
    https://variety.com/2018/film/news/obituary-actor-scott-wilson-walking-dead-dies-1202971361/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Scott Wilson who played Hershel in the walking dead has died after a long battle with cancer aged 76. I also remember him in The Right Stuff, he recently filmed scenes for the upcoming season of the walking dead.
    https://variety.com/2018/film/news/obituary-actor-scott-wilson-walking-dead-dies-1202971361/

Also very good as the sensitive skydiver in The Gypsy Moths. Very understated, underrated actor.

Arnold Kopelson
    Arnold Kopelson, the producer of films including the Oscar-winning Platoon and The Fugitive, and a CBS Corp board member from 2007 until last month, died at his home in Beverly Hills today. He was 83.

He also produced Se7en and won Oscar for Platoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Adam Burke

Animator who worked on a lot of Pixar stuff as well as movies like the Iron Giant passed away from cancer last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Quentin Kenihan, best known for his role of Corpus Colossus in Mad Max Fury Road, has died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quentin_Kenihan

73kpkBEe6WZl.jpg

Advertisement