Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Lari White, singer, occasional actress, died end of January. Was in the last scene of Cast Away where she gives directions to Tom Hanks. (Was it thought/understood that they got together in that film?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

MfMan wrote: »
    Lari White, singer, occasional actress, died end of January. Was in the last scene of Cast Away where she gives directions to Tom Hanks. (Was it thought/understood that they got together in that film?)

Yes that’s what I hope happens as they leave it open ended for the viewer to make up their own ideas on the ending. 52 is to young to die complications from Cancer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In the script, yes, but they cut out most of her scenes in order to make it ambiguous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Terrible news emerging from Japan tonight that the great Isao Takahata has passed away aged 82.

He is the ‘other’ great Studio Ghibli director, responsible for masterpieces such as Pom Poko, Grave of the Fireflies and most recently the Tale of The Princess Kaguya. He reinvented himself with every film, constantly pushing himself out of his comfort zone. Where Miyazaki developed a comforting, familiar house style (with a few exceptions), Takahata was the experimenter - from the comic book stylings of My Neighbours the Yamadas to the stunning classical stylings of his final feature, you never quite know what you’re getting with his films, and that is such a delightful thrill.

A genuine legend of cinema.

www.indiewire.com/2018/04/isao-takahata-dead-dies-studio-ghibli-grave-of-the-fireflies-1201949581/amp/

Milos Forman who directed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Firemen's Ball and Man on the Moon amongst others has died.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/milos-forman-dead-cuckoos-nest-amadeus-director-was-86-861207

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Milos Forman who directed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Firemen's Ball and Man on the Moon amongst others has died.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/milos-forman-dead-cuckoos-nest-amadeus-director-was-86-861207

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus have possibly two of my favourite endings scenes in a movie ever :D R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

R. Lee Ermey, best known for his iconic role as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket, has died. He also appeared in Mississippi Burning and Se7en, among other things, and voiced Sarge in the Toy Story films.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

R. Lee Ermey, best known for his iconic role as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket, has died. He also appeared in Mississippi Burning and Se7en, among other things, and voiced Sarge in the Toy Story films.

He was great in the Frighteners too, RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Wasn't he also House's dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

p to the e wrote: »
    Wasn't he also House's dad?

Aye.

• Advertisement

And that of The Janitor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I can't believe that was posted in this thread instead of one being created for it. I saw it on the Independent and it was an article about Michael Douglas paying tribute to him. I couldn't see an article announcing his death.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus are absolute classics. I could understand people making a case for either being their favourite film of all time. Not many directors I would say that about. I've only seen MOTM and The People vs Larry Flynt as well, but really enjoyed them both.

It's a sad one for the film world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

NOW HEAR THIS!

R Lee Ermey has died :( he is in all his gory glory

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BeginAgain

South Korean actress Choi Eun Hee(92) has passed away. She would be more know in the west as the leading lady who was kidnapped along with her husband by the North Koreans on the orders of Kim Jong Il. They went on to make 17 movies in the North. She later managed to escape with her husband when abroad and returned to South Korea.

Vittorio Taviani has died as well. Bad week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Poor old green grass checked out last week.he was the best part of classic heart beat.rip

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Poor old green grass checked out last week.he was the best part of classic heart beat.rip

Ah...my old folks used to love that show. Personally, I thought it was awful. But they had a soft spot for Greengrass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ah...my old folks used to love that show. Personally, I thought it was awful. But they had a soft spot for Greengrass.

I like it and green grass was brilliant in it.an old school harmless kind of villain always up to a trick to make a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Verne Troyer, best known for playing Mini-Me in the Austin Powers films, has died, aged 49.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

He had been ill with alcohol poisoning recently. He never seemed able to handle the scrutiny from the films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That is sad news. R.I.P. Mini-Me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

I read that one of his earliest roles was as a stunt double in Baby's Day Out. I'm not sure what character he doubled for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Was watching Cool Hand Luke some last night. Have just discovered that Charles Tyner died last November, (played one of the prison bosses in the film.) Wonderful slimey character actor, played the cruel store trader in The Outlaw Josie Wales etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Was watching Cool Hand Luke some last night. Have just discovered that Charles Tyner died last November, (played one of the prison bosses in the film.) Wonderful slimey character actor, played the cruel store trader in The Outlaw Josie Wales etc.

Watched it last night too.....on TCM right?:)

Still a great movie after all these years.

A quick check on imdb shows he had parts in some really good 70s movies.

In addition to Josey Wales, he was in Harold & Maude, Monte Walsh, Jeremiah Johnson and The Longest Yard.
    RIP.

Anne Coates - film editor. Academy Award winner for Laurence of Arabia and nominated for others including Elephant Man, In the Line of Fire and Out of Sight. She reached the grand age of 92 having her last credit only 3 years ago (50 Shades of Grey).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,299 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tom Wolfe author of The Right Stuff and Bonfire of the Vanities has passed away aged 88. RIP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Aww! Never seen Bonfire, but I read the book and thought it was fantastic. Saw Right Stuff but a long time ago, and it's on the reading pile to get to some day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Margot Kidder has died at the age 69. She is best known for playing Lois Lane in the Superman films with Christopher Reeve. She died yesterday am surprised it was not posted here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

AMKC wrote: »
    Margot Kidder has died at the age 69. She is best known for playing Lois Lane in the Superman films with Christopher Reeve. She died yesterday am surprised it was not posted here.

Yeah that was moved to it’s own thread
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057872038

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bill gold
    legendary poster designer , 70 year career RIP

THE EXORCIST, GET CARTER, MARATHON MAN, MISSISSIPPI BURNING, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, BARRY LYNDON, CASABLANCA, BULITT, clockwork orange

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/20/obituaries/bill-gold-dead-movie-posters.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gold

Advertisement