Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

That would be brilliant

The likes of Brolly would lose his mind
    I think he loses it regularly enough already !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

blinding wrote: »
    I think he loses it regularly enough already !

When he cuts out the messing Brolly can do a very good analysis of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Not sure if this is allowed here but I've a ticket for Sunday going spare. Willing to let it go well below cost price. It's too good a seat to let go to waste in the cuasck so if anyone wants it PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

100% Diarmurd o Connor won't unfortunately play again this season for mayo might make club later 8n year

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

100% Diarmurd o Connor won't unfortunately play again this season for mayo might make club later 8n year

Where'd you hear that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Maybe , realistically all we can hope for is two good performances in the two games and hopefully a Big Learning experience for Management and Players .

It looks like we need to find one or two backs and maybe a midfielder .

And solve our kickouts . Be it with a much better strategy for the Kickouts that Clarke actually does .

Whats another year;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Tickets on sale for the Donegal game online btw.

6pm on Saturday 3rd August

**Edit....way behind the news as usual, missed the fixture announcement yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody expecting major changes?

I think David Clarke will continue to get the nod in spite of my belief that James Horan has a preference for Rob Hennelly.

I'd like to see Eoin O Donoghue start but don't think there's a chance James Horan will start him.Will Stephen Coen be one of the fall guys?

I think Fergal Boland will start with any one of Fionn Mc Donagh,Kevin Mc and James Carr possibly losing out.

Andy Moran introduction last week merits his contesting for a starting spot.

All comes down to whither the boss will give youth a further opportunity to flourish in spite of an off day or rotate the bodies and fall back on experience.

I anticipate Seamie will get a much earlier introduction and further game time.An invaluable substitute to have in the twilight of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Interesting Martin Breheny piece looking back at the last time Mayo played Meath in the championship in 2009
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-once-more-with-heart-for-mayos-ambitious-old-guard-38323406.html

Apparently both Vaughan and McLoughlin played corner back that year:eek: I think this is the kind of thing the phrase "the dense obscurity of the recent past" was coined for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody expecting major changes?

I think David Clarke will continue to get the nod in spite of my belief that James Horan has a preference for Rob Hennelly.

I'd like to see Eoin O Donoghue start but don't think there's a chance James Horan will start him.Will Stephen Coen be one of the fall guys?

I think Fergal Boland will start with any one of Fionn Mc Donagh,Kevin Mc and James Carr possibly losing out.

Andy Moran introduction last week merits his contesting for a starting spot.

All comes down to whither the boss will give youth a further opportunity to flourish in spite of an off day or rotate the bodies and fall back on experience.

I anticipate Seamie will get a much earlier introduction and further game time.An invaluable substitute to have in the twilight of his career.

He might give Clarke an opportunity to put things right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hennelly in there.

Might be no harm to leave Kevin Mc on the bench.

Anyone think Jason Doherty's place is in trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Interesting Martin Breheny piece looking back at the last time Mayo played Meath in the championship in 2009
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-once-more-with-heart-for-mayos-ambitious-old-guard-38323406.html

Apparently both Vaughan and McLoughlin played corner back that year:eek: I think this is the kind of thing the phrase "the dense obscurity of the recent past" was coined for...

I have a memory of Andy Moran playing half back that game too... but I was seeing double with a hangover and stuck in the hill with some painful Meath lads, so its quite possible Im mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ch1co

I have a memory of Andy Moran playing half back that game too... but I was seeing double with a hangover and stuck in the hill with some painful Meath lads, so its quite possible Im mistaken

Literally came across the match program this evening. Aidan O'Shea corner forward that day too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

PressRun wrote: »
    He might give Clarke an opportunity to put things right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hennelly in there.

Might be no harm to leave Kevin Mc on the bench.

Anyone think Jason Doherty's place is in trouble?

Personally, I think SOS should start in midfield with AOS and vaughan replacing stephen coen and leave Clarke in between the posts. I think Doherty is needed in the half forward line and I hope he leaves Carr and McDonagh in the starting 15 with McLoughlin on the bench. I would keep Andy on the bench also for the second half if things get hairy.
    Also, Horan is way to fast in replacing Darren Coen imo

Personally, I think SOS should start in midfield with AOS and vaughan replacing stephen coen and leave Clarke in between the posts. I think Doherty is needed in the half forward line and I hope he leaves Carr and McDonagh in the starting 15 with McLoughlin on the bench. I would keep Andy on the bench also for the second half if things get hairy.
    Also, Horan is way to fast in replacing Darren Coen imo

The only reason I thought Doherty might get replaced is just because he had a bit of a nightmare against Kerry. Seemed to be having difficulty even executing the basic skills of the game. But I wouldn't put it past Horan to field more or less the same team and give them a chance to redeem themselves.
    Though I expect Seamie to play a bigger role in the match - either start or come on earlier than he did against Kerry.
    Vaughan will be lucky to keep his place - he was well off the pace against Kerry imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

The only reason I thought Doherty might get replaced is just because he had a bit of a nightmare against Kerry. Seemed to be having difficulty even executing the basic skills of the game. But I wouldn't put it past Horan to field more or less the same team and give them a chance to redeem themselves.
    Though I expect Seamie to play a bigger role in the match - either start or come on earlier than he did against Kerry.
    Vaughan will be lucky to keep his place - he was well off the pace against Kerry imo.

Ya I know, but there is alot who didn't play well, so you could change alot based on the Kerry performance but what these guys have given over the last few years is nothing short of superb, so maybe a chance to redeem the poor performance would be good for most of them. Its hard to know tbh.

TBF to Donie he's really short on game time.Expecting miracles for him to be back to his peak after such a short period.

I think there's little doubt he'll start.

Doc's position should be under pressure but I think James Horan will likely stay loyal to him.

Anybody hear boo re Diarmuid as per the earlier post?

I certainly haven't.

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBF to Donie he's really short on game time.Expecting miracles for him to be back to his peak after such a short period.

I think there's little doing he'll start.

Doc's position should be under pressure but I think James Horan will likely stay loyal to him.

Anybody hear boo re Diarmuid as per the earlier post?

I certainly haven't.

Apparently he was seen in Killarney with a cast on his hand. Can't imagine he's anywhere near ready if he's still in a cast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Apparently he was seen in Killarney with a cast on his hand. Can't imagine he's anywhere near ready if he's still in a cast?

He was there with the team. He walked down the sideline, right past me, after the team came out. He had a blue cast on.

Call me Al wrote: »
    He was there with the team. He walked down the sideline, right past me, after the team came out. He had a blue cast on.

Yeah, I just find it hard to imagine him playing any part in the remainder of our championship. Even if the break itself heals, surely there is the issue of regaining flexibility in the wrist as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Yeah, I just find it hard to imagine him playing any part in the remainder of our championship. Even if the break itself heals, surely there is the issue of regaining flexibility in the wrist as well?

If you break your little finger its 6 weeks, plus the physio before you can play. So yes, i can't see him back in the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Ch1co wrote: »
    Literally came across the match program this evening. Aidan O'Shea corner forward that day too

Both Clarke and Hennelly on the bench - was Hennelly playing out the field at that time or was 2 sub keepers normal? Or was the entire panel listed in the programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Aw man that game was some disaster. Recall us being hot favourites and cruising and then we absolutely blew it in the last 10.

Its funny how confident we used to be as supporters after winning Connacht in the 00s :pac:

That's one of the most average sides on paper I've seen. We would have been eaten alive by Kerry in the semi

O'Shea was very ponderous that time though. he didn't have the fitness to last the game at corner forward never mind midfield.

Why on earth wasn't Mortimer starting over him though? That said anything Kerry did, everyone copied in the 00s - so the 'twin towers' was the in-thing after 2008

I always found it very strange JOM not starting Mort that year though
    reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Both Clarke and Hennelly on the bench - was Hennelly playing out the field at that time or was 2 sub keepers normal? Or was the entire panel listed in the programme?

Yeah only 24 would have togged that time, 29 listed so that's full panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone remember what Ballina used to do when both Clarke and John Healy were playing? I'd imagine Healy was first choice...

Anyone remember what Ballina used to do when both Clarke and John Healy were playing? I'd imagine Healy was first choice...

The year Healy started for Mayo (2006) - Clarke was number 1 for Ballina

Must be the only instance I can recall where a county championship starter couldn't make their club team (aside from fall-out with the club, injury etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

jr86 wrote: »
    The year Healy started for Mayo (2006) - Clarke was number 1 for Ballina

Must be the only instance I can recall where a county championship starter couldn't make their club team (aside from fall-out with the club, injury etc.)

Did he play outfield so?

Did he play outfield so?

No, he was sub keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Some subs bench.

Clarke
    Barrett
    Mortimor
    Nallen
    McLoughlin
    Seamus O’Shea
    Tom Parsons
    Hennelly
    Padden

Ronaldson and Sweeney were both excellent players, but both were just too small and light for intercounty.

The turnaround has been quick. Can't believe its Friday again already. Maybe tomorrow but could be tonight when we see another starting 15. Games are coming thick and fast. Interested to see where the heads are at for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Con telegraph a little slow at publishing the team this week, maybe a case of their contacts cut loose after leaking the team too soon last week?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement