Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

poteen wrote: »
    I've noticed a huge drop off in the standard of Dunphys podcast the past few months. I am a long time listener and reader of his work throughout his career but I think he is on a downward trajectory now. A couple of points I notice:

1. Seems under researched for many podcasts and it comes across very evidently. Never seems to have the knowledge to counter a point made by guest of challenge a guests statement.

2. His election coverage was so bad. I go back again to that Micheal Martin interview.

3. His sports podcasts are very weak and his input and questions are very cliched.

Listening now depends on the guest he has and the quality is down to how good the guest is and what they give.

Noticed the same. Going for the attention seeking headline too in recent conversations. Used to be one of the first I'd check, now will be a reserve podcast when stuck.

Irish times really coming along since their election push but need something else to fill the gap

Some great guests though among the poorer elements, ferriter in particular. So not to be written off

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

Eamon doesn't do his research " to my untutored eye" anyway.

He loves a leading question also " isn't this the worst thing to happen in irish history is it not"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Podcast has been good lately.

Yeah, Eamonn really stepped it up this week. He's covering the big stories and having an expert on whatever the topic is almost the day or day after the big story. He even had somebody from the Irish basketball team on to discuss Kobe Bryant. He's really nailing it, though I think Giles will have to go soon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I counted 6 Aaayes and 2 iiiyes in the first 80 seconds. Eamon should drop Éamon and get a more eloquent and relevant republican.

Dunphy has great and important contributors from the protestant end.

McCann is a dated unlistenable arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

humberklog wrote: »
    I counted 6 Aaayes and 2 iiiyes in the first 80 seconds. Eamon should drop Éamon and get a more eloquent and relevant republican.

There is a large element of the show in Eamon showing that he is comfortable in producing content with people who he has worked with a long time.

McCann and Giles probably fall in to this category.

I wouldn't necessarily fault him. It's his show and people can take it or leave it. Everyone can be very quick to disregard older people and what they have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Dont particularly like Dunphy and dont think he's a good interviewer either: the amount of times he interrupts a guest just as he/she is mid sentence is infuriating. However, i do listen to the Stand as i enjoy his topics of debate like football, crime and politics and i thought todays podcast with Eamonn McCann was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,372 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I love when McCann is on, I get to practice my aaayes and iiiyes as you put it. He's an astute commentator though, and we'll worth the listen.

Apart from the soccer pods, I think the podcast has been excellent of late. He seems (thankfully) to have dropped Brendan O'Neill too, which helps.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

He had Brendan on just over a week ago and I thought he was pretty good.

But on the whole the show is good and worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,372 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He had Brendan on just over a week ago and I thought he was pretty good.

But on the whole the show is good and worth a listen.

Did he? Must have forgot that I deleted that one (he's an instant delete, along with the soccerball ones with Giles).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think there’s good value in McCann. The Shinners refuse to come on and the dissies are very quiet so it’s tough to get a voice from working class nationalism in the north.

The aayes and iiyes always make me laugh though. It’s his go to noise while he’s trying to think about his next point.

• Advertisement

I think there’s good value in McCann. The Shinners refuse to come on and the dissies are very quiet so it’s tough to get a voice from working class nationalism in the north.

For anybody wondering why the shinners don't come on Dunphy's show, it's well worth listening to Mick Clifford's interview with Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Funny exchange between Eamon and Dan o Brien today regarding Existential - “no that’s not what it means at all 😂😂”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

bamayang wrote: »
    Funny exchange between Eamon and Dan o Brien today regarding Existential - “no that’s not what it means at all ����”

That was pretty damn funny, Eamon turned it into a bit of craic by saying “listen we’ll have a bet about it and look it up”.

Dan O’Brien had completely the wrong idea of the meaning of the word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭franglan

Thought Dan was right last time I Google it (during the show!)

franglan wrote: »
    Thought Dan was right last time I Google it (during the show!)

Existential does not mean the end of the world

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That bit was very funny, neither wanted to really let it go either!

Eamon had to hold himself back from saying Ireland is a failed state in one of the recent episodes. We have our problems but we're a long way away from a failed state.

I live outside Ireland but have found myself listening to The Stand in recent weeks to stay connected with Irish commentary around the election and other topics.

Honestly, I find it woeful at times. Contrast Dunphy's persistent speech disfluency and average intellect with someone like Sam Harris and it becomes painful.

The podcast with Dan O'Brien epitomized this. Dan was eager to mark his circle of competence several times: "I don't have the expertise."

Dunphy didn't seem to get this. It was embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I live outside Ireland but have found myself listening to The Stand in recent weeks to stay connected with Irish commentary around the election and other topics.

Honestly, I find it woeful at times. Contrast Dunphy's persistent speech disfluency and average intellect with someone like Sam Harris and it becomes painful.

The podcast with Dan O'Brien epitomized this. Dan was eager to mark his circle of competence several times: "I don't have the expertise."

Dunphy didn't seem to get this. It was embarrassing.

He is a terrible interviewer. So rude and has no idea how to let a conversation flow. Dont know how people think he is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭1882

Yeh its painful & embarrassing. Liked it at the start. Cant listen to old dry mouth Dunphy anymore.

I think the above are very hard on Dunphy. I like the informal style that he brings, and the jokes that he tries. It's a break from the painful formality and correctness of the mainstream stations. I think he could certainly do with a more diverse cast of contributors though.

• Advertisement

Dunphy has done extremely well in life but people forget that he’s basically an ex-footballer with little formal education or media training. His journey in life is so unlikely that no one has repeated it since. Ex footballer to author, political pundit, media presenter. He deserves respect for that.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    His journey in life is so unlikely that no one has repeated it since. Ex footballer to author, political pundit, media presenter. He deserves respect for that.

yeah but what about Franno, the only former sportsman with the distinction of being journalist of the year. so much of a big deal that he makes Dunphy read it out at the start of every interview :D

yeah but what about Franno, the only former sportsman with the distinction of being journalist of the year. so much of a big deal that he makes Dunphy read it out at the start of every interview :D

Kimmage never won it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Dunphy is also a quite excellent writer.

I like the podcasts, they are easy enough listening and sometimes quite informative. They are always inoffensive and fill a gap between dry high brow commentary and the utter banality of other current affairs podcasts.

Dunphy is also a quite excellent writer.

I like the podcasts, they are easy enough listening and sometimes quite informative. They are always inoffensive and fill a gap between dry high brow commentary and the utter banality of other current affairs podcasts.

middle-of-the-road stuff alright but it passes the time.

In fairness to Dunphy, he is ploughing them out at the moment. His approach of working his podcasts around the stores, as opposed to the typical podcasts (which organise the podcast on a schedule), is on the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

Think the fella he had on from Sweden seemed a bit deluded. I have family living in scandanavia and the great public healthcare they speak of isn't all they advertise it as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

scoobydude wrote: »
    Think the fella he had on from Sweden seemed a bit deluded. I have family living in scandanavia and the great public healthcare they speak of isn't all they advertise it as.

He said its no longer as good as it used to be and gave an example of how he was in and out of A&E in a few hours years ago but that it now takes much longer :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Philip O'Connor, I wouldn't expect any different from him, a big proponent of social democracy and is not afraid to shout about it. A self-righteous pain in the arse, if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭jaykay74

He didnt really talk it up did he ? Used to be better in the late 90s but still decent he said. Thats my experience too and I live here in Stockholm. When you say living in Scandinavia do you mean Sweden or elsewhere ? What are their experiences ?

Advertisement