Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

hermano wrote: »
    Why does he still have Brendan O'Neill on the show? They were talking about Britain's woeful reaction to the pandemic and he turns around and slams the EU. Can't blame them now for your decisions anymore!

I'm kinda interested to hear what he has to say. But if I'm not wrong, was he not in favour of letting this virus rip through the country? Maybe I'm mistaken, but if I'm not, Eamon needs to hold him accountable for his ****ing ridiculous opinions.

It's an opinion piece, so he should be held to his opinions and questioned on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Still Ill wrote: »
    I'm kinda interested to hear what he has to say. But if I'm not wrong, was he not in favour of letting this virus rip through the country? Maybe I'm mistaken, but if I'm not, Eamon needs to hold him accountable for his ****ing ridiculous opinions.

It's an opinion piece, so he should be held to his opinions and questioned on them.

Eamon never calls him out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭franglan

He must be contracted to do so many shows. I read description if it has the words "Brendan O'Neill" I ain't going there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

All I listen to these days are US ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

sentient_6 wrote: »
    All I listen to these days are US ones.
    To be fair, the US episodes are brilliant. Niall Stanage is as good a contributor as you can get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

To be fair, the US episodes are brilliant. Niall Stanage is as good a contributor as you can get

Stanage is outstanding. He covers Trump as fairly as possible. Which is so rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Even talking about the Regency attack or serious gangland crime he always cracks a joke about some lads nickname or murder or something nonsensical and then apologise almost immediately ' i know this is a serious subject' when he's laughing away. Every single time.

Virtually every time Nicola Tallant is on, Eamo is guaranteed to break his hole laughing at some criminal's nickname. For some reason he finds their nicknames absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

Another +1 for stanage is balanced and fair as can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Stanage is outstanding. He covers Trump as fairly as possible. Which is so rare.

If you listen to the shows with Stanage, you find that Eamon starts each sentence with some Anti Trump statement with a question mark at the end and invariably Stanage agrees with him.

Eamonn's show is becoming closer and closer to a mainstream broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah Stanages anti trump agenda is hard to take.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If you listen to the shows with Stanage, you find that Eamon starts each sentence with some Anti Trump statement with a question mark at the end and invariably Stanage agrees with him.

Eamonn's show is becoming closer and closer to a mainstream broadcast.
    Yeah Stanages anti trump agenda is hard to take.

FFS, pointing out the absolute fiasco and car crash that Trump is is 'mainstream' and an 'agenda' now.

The only solace I can take from him is that he has behaved exactly as I expected he would before he became President. What I still can't understand is how so many people are ok with that and if I had to bet today, I'd probably go with the expectation that he will still be President next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

It’s hard not to respect the great ratings Trump’s press conferences are getting.

The main problem is the content, there’s far too many shows on Trump and US politics.

The main problem is the content, there’s far too many shows on Trump and US politics.

There is so much associated with it that is worth commentating on.

The 'greatest country in the world' has criminally mismanaged their response to the biggest pandemic in 100 years, it has been accused of piracy and other underhand tactics such as trying to buy a potential treatment for exclusive supply to the US and diverting a shipment of masks on route to Germany to send them to the US.

And, the guy in charge has delivered lines which a parody movie script writer wouldn't come up while his PR wing, Fox News (which somehow doesn't class as mainstream media) further underplayed what was going on and is now backtracking at breakneck speed.

Maybe a lot of people do care about US politics, or find it a great soap opera, but I’d rather hear about things closer to home that will affect us. He seems to be unnaturally obsessed with Donald Trump.

Has anyone been brave enough to listen to the latest podcast with Brendan O'Neil?

I need to mentally prepare myself for what is going to be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Maybe a lot of people do care about US politics, or find it a great soap opera, but I’d rather hear about things closer to home that will affect us. He seems to be unnaturally obsessed with Donald Trump.

It's a regular weekly slot, and realistically so much happens there that it's needed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Has anyone been brave enough to listen to the latest podcast with Brendan O'Neil?

He's an instant delete for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I listened to it after a few drinks (Yes, I do indeed know how to party) so memory is a bit hazy. Think he was still favouring letting the virus kill hundreds of thousands so as not to damage the economy, without coming out directly and saying it. Fair play to the guy for making a living by being an insufferable prick. Not many would have the audacity to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I listened to it after a few drinks (Yes, I do indeed know how to party) so memory is a bit hazy. Think he was still favouring letting the virus kill hundreds of thousands so as not to damage the economy, without coming out directly and saying it. Fair play to the guy for making a living by being an insufferable prick. Not many would have the audacity to do so.

He and his Spiked magazine colleagues have come a long way from their Revolutionary Communist Party days,though in fairness the Koch brothers do pay better.

I'd agree with others that Stanage is great. Balanced throughout though he gave his preference for Liz Warren away in a recent episode!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think he needs to get rid of the "stock" voices that he has on the show and diversify a bit more. After you have heard one show with Niall Stanage, Brendan O'Neill, Jim Power you know where they stand and future interviews with them are very predictable.

Still have to say well done to him on the uppage in the outage of the number of podcasts since the new year though, a real effort.

I like Giles, but he has no sense of humour whatsoever.. He has these strange dislikes for TAA and KDB too. There's no chance either of them shouldn't be in a team of the season. Dunno how he's still sticking with his KDB agenda because he's been phenomenal since Giles first criticised him.

Eamon picking Milner and Firmino were both laughable also.

Overall great pod though and this is why I love the lads :pac:

lol, remember how the whole 3 of them valiantly tried to stick to their anti-CR7 agenda for the guts of a decade before it was beyond parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I was amazed Eamon didn’t know what Captain Morgan is..

I was amazed Eamon didn’t know what Captain Morgan is..

he might have been playing to the crowd there I suspect....

Another Mr.Fishy, Mr.Flashy, Mr.Biggy etc. special from Nicola Tallant

c5950baedd3221d7f116cbff241d57a6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I thought Chris Johns was very good on UK politics and Covid-19,and it's refreshing to see someone featured on the subject who isn't that idiot Brendan O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

Dan O'Brien on again dropping nuclear bombs of negativity on us. I don't shy away from negative pieces or interviews but this guy is really in a league of his own when it comes to the bleak possibilities we may face, not only as a nation but as a world.

Someone please (again) tell me he's a rubbish economist that gets more wrong than right. Please guys, I need the reassurance after listening to that disaster of an episode...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

pow_pow wrote: »
    Dan O'Brien on again dropping nuclear bombs of negativity on us. I don't shy away from negative pieces or interviews but this guy is really in a league of his own when it comes to the bleak possibilities we may face, not only as a nation but as a world.

Someone please (again) tell me he's a rubbish economist that gets more wrong than right. Please guys, I need the reassurance after listening to that disaster of an episode...

Find Dan O'Brien to be a bit sensationalist usually. Even prior to COVID-19. Chris Johns always seems a bit more level headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Listened to it last night. Thought it was fairly accurate. Very worrying times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I listened to half of it and turned it off. Dan O’Brien knows no more than you or I with regards to how this is going to play out. This is one of those times where you may as well smile in the face of adversity. What’s going to happen is going to happen whether you get freaked out about the possibilities, or settle back for now and enjoy the good weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I listened to half of it and turned it off. Dan O’Brien knows no more than you or I with regards to how this is going to play out. This is one of those times where you may as well smile in the face of adversity. What’s going to happen is going to happen whether you get freaked out about the possibilities, or settle back for now and enjoy the good weather.

Whos getting freaked out? I didn't hear O Brien freaking out. You're right whats going to happen is going to happen but he's asked on the show and has to give his opinion. I hear many economists and journalists echoing his views. Weather is nice by the way, im 30 mins into a 2 hour walk. Enjoy the Easter weekend!

Advertisement