Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Nice episode today with Brady recounting his time playing in Italy, didn't realize he went to a few different clubs over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Nice episode today with Brady recounting his time playing in Italy, didn't realize he went to a few different clubs over there.

Very difficult for him to have missed out on Euro 88 and Italia 90.

Very difficult for him to have missed out on Euro 88 and Italia 90.

in fairness by Euro 88 he was 32 (born Feb 56) which was "old" by football standards in those days and he retired in 1990

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

McGrath5 wrote: »

Yeah I really enjoyed Brady telling his own story. Similar to the pods with Souness and Hamann, it's clear that their bond with Dunphy makes it a very open interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Quite funny when Dunphy was speaking to Chris Johns and Dunphy rolled out a question about this crisis shows that the likes of cleaners etc are under appreciated and underpaid. Johns obviously didn’t think much of the question because he answers a completely different one about inefficiencies in the HSE.

Beginning to think this show should be called The Stand....is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

He's struggling to find anything to talk about at this stage. He's still uploading, but confined to the topics of Trump bashing and COVID 19 vs The Economy discussions.

He should do more like the Brady one. Get a few of the big names on to talk about events in the past. Like what Sky Sports are doing with Neville and Carragher.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

I enjoyed the podcast with Giles and Brady where they picked their best premier league team. Funny how they changed their minds about certain players!

Like 3 lads down the pub talking, same as they used to do on RTE. Good if you like that sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

OutTheGap wrote: »
    I enjoyed the podcast with Giles and Brady where they picked their best premier league team. Funny how they changed their minds about certain players!

Like 3 lads down the pub talking, same as they used to do on RTE. Good if you like that sort of thing!

I really enjoyed the Brady one about his time in Italy but found the above one a bit tired. Particularly when they all picked 8 of the same players.

Quality of the podcast has improved though with a much wider array of guests compared to 6-12 months ago.

Dunphy does still load questions though rather than just asking and looking for an opinion.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Dunphy does still load questions though rather than just asking and looking for an opinion.

He does.

Would love to hear him as a guest on a podcast. He has strong opinions and is an intelligent person who considers alternative angles on topics. He tempers expressing his view (somewhat) on his own show but sometimes it does come out with the way he asks the questions as you pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

He does.

Would love to hear him as a guest on a podcast. He has strong opinions and is an intelligent person who considers alternative angles on topics. He tempers expressing his view (somewhat) on his own show but sometimes it does come out with the way he asks the questions as you pointed out.

He's showbiz baby!!! I always like hearing dunphy interviewed as well second captains had a decent one a few years back for their soccer special where he talked about his first book a bit which was interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

I enjoyed the most recent one of the 3 lads on the best all Ireland team.
    I think this is where Giles is best, reminiscing about players and times past. He has an incredible memory for that kind of thing.

Some interesting stories...Eamon being bought by Millwall to stop the lads drinking and doing drugs :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Obrieski wrote: »
    I enjoyed the most recent one of the 3 lads on the best all Ireland team.
    I think this is where Giles is best, reminiscing about players and times past. He has an incredible memory for that kind of thing.

Some interesting stories...Eamon being bought by Millwall to stop the lads drinking and doing drugs :pac: :pac:

Yeah enjoyed the all ireland team episode, couldnt believe they didnt pick Robbie Keane though

Yeah enjoyed the all ireland team episode, couldnt believe they didnt pick Robbie Keane though

They did seem to pick players from their own era a lot which is understandable.

I wouldn't pay that much attention to the teams they ended up with. It was an enjoyable podcast, the lads were in good form and they had some great stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The stick Dunphy gave Giles for not turning up for Ireland made me roar laughing. Just out walking listening to it and laughing like a lunatic.

He’s the best wind up merchant in the media.

The stick Dunphy gave Giles for not turning up for Ireland made me roar laughing. Just out walking listening to it and laughing like a lunatic.

He’s the best wind up merchant in the media.
    Was funny when John said at the start of the podcast that he “turned up” 59 times for Ireland but towards the end he said it was 60! He counted one international that didn’t give caps for the extra one.
    Showed that Eamon was getting under his skin a small bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Obrieski wrote: »

Yeah, I think it's known as dementia!

My own ma has it.

She can recount stories from 60 years ago like they happened yesterday, not missing a single thing but she doesn't remember that I visited her 6 hrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He does. Worryingly they are loaded with online tittle tattle that any serious broadcaster would dismiss out of hand. That's why you hear serious contributors like Johns, Stanage or O Brien often recoiling from his questions.

Aidric wrote: »
    He does. Worryingly they are loaded with online tittle tattle that any serious broadcaster would dismiss out of hand. That's why you hear serious contributors like Johns, Stanage or O Brien often recoiling from his questions.

I think (at least some of the time) when Eamonn asks such questions, he knows that they are off the chart a bit but by asking them, he can have an expert denounce it rather than ignoring the point or him dismissing it.

He is asking it on behalf of the listeners who might feel it is worth going that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I enjoyed the podcast about how Dunphy, Brady and Giles went to England as schoolboy footballers

Back in the 50’s it sure wasn’t luxury. You got the boat, stayed with a landlady and had a part time job to boost your income. By the 1970’s it was more professional

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I enjoyed the all Ireland team pick episode too but had to laugh when Giles said that the reason Ronnie Whelan wasn't a big name was because he wasn't playing for England like his big name teammates such as Alan Hansen, Graham Souness, and Kenny Dalglish. All of whom played for Scotland of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the podcast about how Dunphy, Brady and Giles went to England as schoolboy footballers

Back in the 50’s it sure wasn’t luxury. You got the boat, stayed with a landlady and had a part time job to boost your income. By the 1970’s it was more professional

Thought this was gold, fantastic stuff from the lads.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

mikemac2 wrote: »

Thought this was gold, fantastic stuff from the lads.

Thought it was brilliant also, and I am not particularly fond of listening to Giles' segment on Newstalk. Not intended to criticise them in anyway but they all sounded very old throughout the conversation.

They should consider a podcast themselves just based on their experiences, great chemistry between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't think Damien Duff even got a mention as an alsoran which surprised me given his performance in the 2002 world cup alone. May not have lived up to that again but thought he deserved a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I remember years ago when Robbie was in his prime Eamon picked an all-time greatest Irish team and he put Kevin Doyle up front ahead of Robbie.
    Is there some sort of bad blood with him and Robbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Still Ill wrote: »
    I remember years ago when Robbie was in his prime Eamon picked an all-time greatest Irish team and he put Kevin Doyle up front ahead of Robbie.

Maybe he doesn't rate R Keane as much as yourself. Personally i think Keane was overrated. I'd have Niall Quinn ahead of him. Bring Keane on to take a late penalty maybe and a cringy celebration :)

Maybe he doesn't rate R Keane as much as yourself. Personally i think Keane was overrated. I'd have Niall Quinn ahead of him. Bring Keane on to take a late penalty maybe and a cringy celebration :)

Overrated in what team or context? There is potentially some room for argument that he was overrated in the premiership but as a Rep of Ireland player it would be ridiculous to describe him as overrated.

Overrated in what team or context? There is potentially some room for argument that he was overrated in the premiership but as a Rep of Ireland player it would be ridiculous to describe him as overrated.

Why didn't Giles, Dunphy or Brady pick him for their best Ireand team? He was a good player but i wouldn't go any further than that. Some of the plaudits he gets by some is far fetched imo. I prefer Niall Quinn as a player myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Still Ill wrote: »

Dunphy was doing his usual contrarian for the sake of it thing. Mildly amusing for a while, but got tiring very quickly.

Why didn't Giles, Dunphy or Brady pick him for their best Ireand team? He was a good player but i wouldn't go any further than that. Some of the plaudits he gets by some is far fetched imo. I prefer Niall Quinn as a player myself.

That's not at all what you said or being discussed, are you seriously describing him as overrated as a Rep. of Ireland player?

• Advertisement

That's not at all what you said or being discussed, are you seriously describing him as overrated as a Rep. of Ireland player?

Overrated as a footballer yes. Good player but not a great player as Dunphy liked to say about various players. Its not a big deal. We all see it differently.

Advertisement