Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Dunphy has always had a major man crush on Bertie.

Actually Diarmaid Ferriter on his appearance this week said something negative about Bertie and I was half expecting Dunphy to jump to his defence but he stayed quiet.

Listened to that and expected the exact same thing as you! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dunphy’s discussion was interesting for a couple of reasons. Dunphy’s language came across as anti Semitic; “Zionist lobby”.

Also, and feel free to correct me, is the deal of 50 billion to Palestine not a deal worth considering? I openly concede I haven’t read anything else about the proposed deal and it’s terms.

The way I would see it is that Palestine have lost the war there and getting 50 billion for losing a war might not be the worst offer. A simple view perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Dunphy’s discussion was interesting for a couple of reasons. Dunphy’s language came across as anti Semitic; “Zionist lobby”.

Also, and feel free to correct me, is the deal of 50 billion to Palestine not a deal worth considering? I openly concede I haven’t read anything else about the proposed deal and it’s terms.

The way I would see it is that Palestine have lost the war there and getting 50 billion for losing a war might not be the worst offer. A simple view perhaps.
    Zionist lobby is not an anti semetic term.

Zionist lobby is not an anti semetic term.

“Zionist” kind of is. Zionist is a fairly loaded term only really used by those opposed to Israel. Can provide a stream of evidence if you wish or google it yourself.

Even Fisk said to Eamon he wouldn’t use the term Zionist. He would say Pro Israel lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A simple view is far from sufficient in any discussion relating to Palestine and Israel.

I am in no way informed on the matter but I understand that Israel is seen to have broken international law with its settlements. Allowing them to move on from that point while retaining the occupied lands could set a dangerous precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

The interview with Micheal Mrtin was an absolute shocker. A complete partisan live in

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭bamayang

The two economists wont thank Eamonn for the interview, but it was still good listening. Its probably a very good barometer of whats going on in the general election. You have the two 'numbers' guys trying to explain that things wont ever be perfect, and they're a lot better than they could be.
    While Eamonn is on the opposite side, saying if people are waiting on trolleys or cant afford a house, what good is it all.

I enjoy when he brings new people like this in. You'd get tired of the same voices.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That episode could have been a lot better, Eamon didn't seem to want the conversation to flow for some reason. He seemed more keen on repeating what the problems were, than actually talking about how they arose or what the solutions were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

CatFromHue wrote: »
    That episode could have been a lot better, Eamon didn't seem to want the conversation to flow for some reason. He seemed more keen on repeating what the problems were, than actually talking about how they arose or what the solutions were.
    Ya, I agree. Whilst it was interesting at times, and something a bit different, I did find it very disjointed at times. The premise had a lot of potential, maybe one economist would be better than two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Should Eamon have a co-host ?

• Advertisement

Should Eamon have a co-host ?

I don't think so. I like the fact that it is just him.
    I listen to a number of podcasts which have co-hosts and some of them tend to fall in to a trap of talking about their own lives for a significant portion of it.

At the very least, it becomes less about the topic than it is just one person.

If only Eamon could do something from his D4 mansion to help the less fortunate and help to create the more “homogeneous” society he craves.

If only Eamon could do something from his D4 mansion to help the less fortunate and help to create the more “homogeneous” society he craves.

He’s worked for what he has in fairness.

He’s worked for what he has in fairness.

Yes absolutely, but he preaches that he wants a more equal society while enjoying the trappings of his wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Yes absolutely, but he preaches that he wants a more equal society while enjoying the trappings of his wealth.

What are you suggesting ? He give away his money/possessions ?

What are you suggesting ? He give away his money/possessions ?

He is a man who lives in a big house in a sought after area of Dublin who holidays all summer in his south of France residence who passionately wants a more equal society in Ireland.

I think I could do a few things in his position.

He is a man who lives in a big house in a sought after area of Dublin who holidays all summer in his south of France residence who passionately wants a more equal society in Ireland.

I think I could do a few things in his position.

What would you do if you were in his position?

what have you done in the position that you are in? You are likely more wealthy than several billion people on the planet.

What would you do if you were in his position.

Hard to say as I believe society functions best when free education is provided to all not when those who invested time in their education and those who never saw the inside of a classroom past the age of 14 pretty much have the same economic circumstances. So I don’t subscribe to Dunphy’s idea of an equal society.

But suppose I did have Dunphy’s belief that we should all be relatively equal economically regardless of how much effort we invested in our education, I would not preach this as a millionaire living in a fine Dublin house while spending summers in the south of France. That is my simple point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What are you suggesting ? He give away his
    money/possessions ?

Well he did object to a planned development near him.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/football-pundit-eamon-dunphy-is-fighting-to-keep-his-corner-shop-34515573.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/ranelagh-neighbours-save-corner-shop-in-planning-battle-1.2739676
    Football pundit Eamon Dunphy, food writer Susan Jane White and other residents of Ranelagh in south Dublin have won the latest round in their fight to save their local corner shop from demolition.

An Bord Pleanála has refused planning permission to demolish the building housing Cullen’s Corner Shop and construct a four storey apartment building at 25 Lower Mount Pleasant Avenue.

The ruling overturns a decision of Dublin City Council to give Roy Turner the go-ahead for the development in February.

In a joint objection from local residents, Mr Dunphy and his wife, RTÉ commissioning editor Jane Gogan argued that the shop was at the heart of their community.

“Neighbours meet and exchange information and get to know each other in a way that would not otherwise be possible”.

I don't know what the state of the place is now but on Google Maps it's closed and abandoned.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3273263,-6.2615546,3a,75y,294.59h,82.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stCuwfT8cgdvznOXrX1YwHw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

CatFromHue wrote: »

So it’s closed and abandoned and of no use to anybody now? Great result for the city, the community and those in need of a residence.

• Advertisement

I don't know for sure if it is or isn't, I can only go with what I see on Google Maps.

Dunphy is an unreliable narrator. He did seem genuine with his horror at the homeless numbers with the two economists and was happy to put then under pressure for the points they made about it. He also had no problem whatsoever objecting to the planned construction in his own area.

I do like him I have to say and do enjoy his podcast. That doesn't mean I agree or even believe him on some of the stuff he says. Richie Sadlier's book has some interesting points about how he operated behind the scenes on RTE!

In fairness Sadlier seems a bit in love with himself. Anyone taking attention from him would come off bad in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You can be rich and still advocate for a fairer and more equal society. You can also be poor and vote for tax cuts to the rich (look at republicans in USA and some tories across the water). Seems a bit unfair to have a dig at Dunphy, he's been pretty consistent with his opinions it would seem...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

dulpit wrote: »
    You can be rich and still advocate for a fairer and more equal society. You can also be poor and vote for tax cuts to the rich (look at republicans in USA and some tories across the water). Seems a bit unfair to have a dig at Dunphy, he's been pretty consistent with his opinions it would seem...

I'm pretty sure Dunphy has been a member of every Irish political party from Sinn Fein to the PD's, he seems to be FF at the moment. He has many many fine qualities. Consistency isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

I've noticed a huge drop off in the standard of Dunphys podcast the past few months. I am a long time listener and reader of his work throughout his career but I think he is on a downward trajectory now. A couple of points I notice:

1. Seems under researched for many podcasts and it comes across very evidently. Never seems to have the knowledge to counter a point made by guest of challenge a guests statement.

2. His election coverage was so bad. I go back again to that Micheal Martin interview.

3. His sports podcasts are very weak and his input and questions are very cliched.

Listening now depends on the guest he has and the quality is down to how good the guest is and what they give.

poteen wrote: »
    I've noticed a huge drop off in the standard of Dunphys podcast the past few months. I am a long time listener and reader of his work throughout his career but I think he is on a downward trajectory now. A couple of points I notice:

1. Seems under researched for many podcasts and it comes across very evidently. Never seems to have the knowledge to counter a point made by guest of challenge a guests statement.

2. His election coverage was so bad. I go back again to that Micheal Martin interview.

3. His sports podcasts are very weak and his input and questions are very cliched.

Listening now depends on the guest he has and the quality is down to how good the guest is and what they give.

Unfortunately, this could just be the harsh reality of the march of time. He is 74 years old.
    Remaining engaged to the point of stringently investigating topics across sports, current affairs, news and deeper dive topics would be quite exhaustive.

poteen wrote: »

It was always like that, there’s no noticeable drop off that I’ve seen in what you describe.

The drop off I’ve seen is in the absolute age it takes Dunphy to ask a question. He’ll waver around sometimes rambling on before asking or raising a softball point that it’s manna from heaven for a bull****ter interviewee.

He had Bertie Ahern on and the interview worked well because Bertie was actually worked up and had something he wanted to get off his chest about FF’s terrible performance and the reasons for it. It was a good pod, Eamon had little to do with it.

He had a guest on Spanish football on the other hand that seemed to take his lead from Dunphy’s opinions which was hard to listen to. If you work and live in Spain there is no need to humour Dunphy and his awful cliched ideas about Barcelona. The Neymar discussion was awful. They talked about him like he was some Mario Balotelli figure who peaked at 20 and hasn’t tried a leg for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Still Ill

The end of the Paschal Donohue interview was bizarre. He did this big build up to the final question, then just repeated something about the constraints that Paschal had answered at length earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I like Dunphys podcast because he covers a good range of topics in sufficient (not too much) detail for me. For example, I have a passing interest in politics, so his podcasts on this topic were fine for me, but I could see why a political anorak would not be impressed. He also has some very good guests on certain topics, some of which compensate for Dunphys deficiencies/lack of knowledge on subjects - case in point Niall Stanage. Also Diarmuid Ferriter.

We all know Dunphy isn't exactly Jeremy Paxman, but he has put together a good podcast all the same. The only one where I noticed a considerable drop-off in quality was the one with two economists (Dan O'Brien being one), that format just didn't work at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Podcast has been good lately. I think last year it was the same small collection of guests every week but it seems to have broadened it's reach since Christmas with some new voices on board. That said I did skip some of the ones over the election. Especially the interviews. As I pretty much knew what to expect.

Advertisement