Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

I must have drifted off when he said it isn't what it used to be. Have a brother living in Norway the past few years, admittedly not Sweden, but he has said that while the locals are very much in favor of the health system, if you want something which is not an emergency issue, like the physio for example, you are better off going private.

I suppose I just got peeved at the Swedish approach to covid, given that the UK tried it then back-pedalled to the lockdown approach the rest of Europe is doing.

Hope you are staying safe over there anyway, all we can do is follow the government's advice, so if the Swedish govt are advising to keep the economy running and build up a herd immunity, they'd fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

Well the episode with economist Jim Power was fairly terrifying. If your anxiety is not great at the moment, I wouldn't advise listening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

pow_pow wrote: »
    Well the episode with economist Jim Power was fairly terrifying. If your anxiety is not great at the moment, I wouldn't advise listening to it.

I haven't heard it but Jim Power was front and centre of those claiming that the economy was ok and the housing market was going to have a soft landing in the run-up to the 2008 crash. He may also be wrong this time - if that's any comfort.

I really, really hope he's wrong again.

He's gone full circle, pretty much alluding to severe worst case scenarios. I actually 'want' to hear this stuff because, for me, I feel it prepares me, but still, not an easy listen.

In fairness, doom is what Eamonn loves and does well so you could probably divide it by at least 5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Good ding-dong between Giles and Brady today. Like two old folk fighting over the remote control in a nursing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

humberklog wrote: »
    Good ding-dong between Giles and Brady today. Like two old folk fighting over the remote control in a nursing home.

Yeah, very funny. I thought they were messing at first but Giles was clearly very annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Beau wrote: »
    Yeah, very funny. I thought they were messing at first but Giles was clearly very annoyed!

Wan Bissaka as best right full this season? They should have hung up the phone on Giles after that.

Absolutely ridiculous. Giles doesn't like being challenged either, doesn't want to listen to any disagreement with his opinion.

Dunphy was falling over himself to say how brilliant John was for picking Henderson, despite the fact he picked Alisson himself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

All the teams were pretty stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It wasn't a pretty picture, but I didn't find it notably any more terrifying than anything else on the news these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Beau wrote: »

I'd be a big fan of Giles generally, mainly due to his aversion to bull**** and nerdy nonsense thats everywhere in football now, but he was like a 4 year old in this podcast. Whats wrong with someone questioning your opinion in a show that is all about opinions on a set topic. He seemed very stressed!

Dunphy's latest man crush seems to be Dan O'Brien and Chris Johns, he's literally salivating over the pair of them!

I live outside Ireland but have found myself listening to The Stand in recent weeks to stay connected with Irish commentary around the election and other topics.

Honestly, I find it woeful at times. Contrast Dunphy's persistent speech disfluency and average intellect with someone like Sam Harris and it becomes painful.

The podcast with Dan O'Brien epitomized this. Dan was eager to mark his circle of competence several times: "I don't have the expertise."

Dunphy didn't seem to get this. It was embarrassing.

Average intellect? Who are you, Einstein?
    He's way above average, thats not even a discussion.

yeah but what about Franno, the only former sportsman with the distinction of being journalist of the year. so much of a big deal that he makes Dunphy read it out at the start of every interview :D

Those private school educations are very beneficial.

I heard him say on an interview recently that each podcast was doing 'nearly a half a million streams'. He knows how to work the showbiz (baby) element but that seems like a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Eamon doesn't do his research " to my untutored eye" anyway.

He loves a leading question also " isn't this the worst thing to happen in irish history is it not"

I think this is the major failing of his podcast. His research for the most part seems to be skimming the papers or internet for the most sensationalist viewpoints. He then offers this up without any qualification.

To the credit of his stronger guests he is usually brought back down to earth.

He likes to fight trump’s fake news with his own fake news. Saying twice that Trump’s contention of 2 million dying if the US didn’t introduce restrictions was a figure taken from thin air before Stanage has to correct him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

terrydel wrote: »
    I'd be a big fan of Giles generally, mainly due to his aversion to bull**** and nerdy nonsense thats everywhere in football now, but he was like a 4 year old in this podcast. Whats wrong with someone questioning your opinion in a show that is all about opinions on a set topic. He seemed very stressed!

Did he mention Don Revie?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Dots1982 wrote: »
    He likes to fight trump’s fake news with his own fake news. Saying twice that Trump’s contention of 2 million dying if the US didn’t introduce restrictions was a figure taken from thin air before Stanage has to correct him.

He's damaging the credibility of his own own podcast by getting in to bed with troglodytes like O' Neill and Francis. Eamo loves a bit of controversy so guests like them will always find a home in his podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Liam Brady was out of order on their team of the year debate in my opinion. Basically telling Giles he was wrong to pick Wan Bisaka over Trent Alexandre. I would have Trent on the team myself but he shouldn't have basically dismissed Johns own opinion. We all see it differently and Giles was right to defend himself. Things settled down towards the end but it was a bit frosty no doubt with Dunphy stirring it up also.

I listen to the football and crime shows but will never agree that Dunphy is a good host. He has a terrible habit of butting in mid sentence just as someone is talking and trying to make a point. Its just poor manners.

• Advertisement

Liam Brady was out of order on their team of the year debate in my opinion. Basically telling Giles he was wrong to pick Wan Bisaka over Trent Alexandre. I would have Trent on the team myself but he shouldn't have basically dismissed Johns own opinion. We all see it differently and Giles was right to defend himself. Things settled down towards the end but it was a bit frosty no doubt with Dunphy stirring it up also.

I listen to the football and crime shows but will never agree that Dunphy is a good host. He has a terrible habit of butting in mid sentence just as someone is talking and trying to make a point. Its just poor manners.

Giles was too sensitive. He wasn’t able to back up his point and got angry about it. In the end they couldn’t debate at all anymore positions because it was too tense.

That no one picked Vardy and two picked firmino was my major bugbear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Giles was out of order. It was a bit of fun and he behaved like a child. Took himself way too seriously.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Giles was out of order. It was a bit of fun and he behaved like a child. Took himself way too seriously.

Ha see what i mean. We all see it differently. Even we cant agree on them not agreeing. To be fair though Brady can be stubborn and Giles hates being questioned. I got a laugh out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Ha see what i mean. We all see it differently. Even we cant agree on them not agreeing. To be fair though Brady can be stubborn and Giles hates being questioned. I got a laugh out of it.

Me too. Thought Dunphy could have stirred it more.

There was one podcast last season he was baiting Giles on having Guardiola posters and pyjamas and Giles started losing it. That sort of stuff is what Dunphy is great at. He was trying to take the heat out of the situation with Giles and Brady this week.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Giles was too sensitive. He wasn’t able to back up his point and got angry about it. In the end they couldn’t debate at all anymore positions because it was too tense.

That no one picked Vardy and two picked firmino was my major bugbear

A pair of them in it. Brady was a little over the top in slating Giles pick. No need for it. I agree Giles hates to be questioned but he was right here imo.

Vardy staryed season well but went off the boil bigtime.

For the record heres mine. Please dont try and change my mind like Brady did to Giles ha

1 Allisson
    2 Trent
    3 Maguire
    4 Van Dyk
    5 Robertson
    6 Winjaldum
    7 Henderson
    8 De Bruyne
    9 B Silva
    10 Aguero
    11 Mane

Dominated by Liverpool and City. By far the two best teams in the league. With the best players. Hence 10 of the 11 in a 4-3-3 from the top two teams.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Me too. Thought Dunphy could have stirred it more.

There was one podcast last season he was baiting Giles on having Guardiola posters and pyjamas and Giles started losing it. That sort of stuff is what Dunphy is great at. He was trying to take the heat out of the situation with Giles and Brady this week.

Yea i remember he said that to Giles about Pep and he was right to deny it. Dunphy riles John up at times id say Giles is fit to kill him.

And as for trying to take the heat out of the recent argument i thought he was pouring fuel on the fire by saying ' i better agree with John (or something like that) or he'll attack me like he did to Liam'. Yes i know it was half in jest but it only wound Giles up even more. Ha pretty childish all round really and like few 15 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I like Giles, but he has no sense of humour whatsoever.. He has these strange dislikes for TAA and KDB too. There's no chance either of them shouldn't be in a team of the season. Dunno how he's still sticking with his KDB agenda because he's been phenomenal since Giles first criticised him.

Eamon picking Milner and Firmino were both laughable also.

Overall great pod though and this is why I love the lads :pac:

Still Ill wrote: »
    I like Giles, but he has no sense of humour whatsoever.. He has these strange dislikes for TAA and KDB too. There's no chance either of them shouldn't be in a team of the season. Dunno how he's still sticking with his KDB agenda because he's been phenomenal since Giles first criticised him.

Eamon picking Milner and Firmino were both laughable also.

Overall great pod though and this is why I love the lads :pac:

I think he has a sense of humour. A very dry one but it comes out sometimes.

I really dont understand his dislike of De Bruyne. Keeps saying he's a bad attitude and is temperamental. I dont see it myself. A class act.

And your right it was laughable Dunphy picking Milner whos played so few games.

I just can never take Dunphy seriously about anything.

Even talking about the Regency attack or serious gangland crime he always cracks a joke about some lads nickname or murder or something nonsensical and then apologise almost immediately ' i know this is a serious subject' when he's laughing away. Every single time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Is it De Breene or De Broyne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Why does he still have Brendan O'Neill on the show? They were talking about Britain's woeful reaction to the pandemic and he turns around and slams the EU. Can't blame them now for your decisions anymore!

Advertisement