Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are ye eatin' and drinkin' - The Eatening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ooh savoury mince. I haven't had that In years. I'd swap the peppers for carrots though:).

What did you use for the sauce?

I remember years ago buying the savoury mince seasoning pack from Schwartz, & it was VILE beyond belief.
    I've boycotted the whole company ever since & I won't even buy their dried herbs because of that incident

I use Knorr savoury mince mix, add in all the veggies and then add water, about a small glass of it and slowly simmer and stir occasionally it until it’s nice and thick and of course cooked :)

There are certain brands of mixes I wouldn’t use either and Schwartz is one of them, strange taste from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Yeah the Swartz was very weird taste, can't even describe it.

I'll give Knorr a try so, thanks:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Now for creamy iced yogurt cone. It's warm on Cal's Pacific coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Can of Carlsberg. Ready to be air lifted to the land of nod by the hands of unseen Angels.

Fathom wrote: »
    Now for creamy iced yogurt cone. It's warm on Cal's Pacific coast.

Just a storm over here :D Don’t get too sun burnt while I’ll just wilt :D

• Advertisement

Autosport wrote: »
    I use Knorr savoury mince mix, add in all the veggies and then add water, about a small glass of it and slowly simmer and stir occasionally it until it’s nice and thick and of course cooked :)

There are certain brands of mixes I wouldn’t use either and Schwartz is one of them, strange taste from them.
    That's the one I use too. I mix with boiled rice though. Serious comfort food and I agree with the peppers, I use red ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,024 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Autosport wrote: »
    Just a storm over here :D Don’t get too sun burnt while I’ll just wilt :D
    Yo sport. Turn on giant fan. Blow rain clouds to SoCal. They're dry. With firestorms. Yogurt cone. Vanilla & choc twirl. Kids stuff. But I love it. :D

On call. Back to work. Laters. Finishes off cone.

More beer. I'm fighting the sleep, it's like a gloomy cloud over me.

To follow, Memoirs of a Beer Hound.

Had hot dogs earlier. Haven't eaten much today but noticed my favourite pot noodle ( don't judge) have stopped selling The Bombay Bad Boy. I love it so sad now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Slow cooker salsa chicken served with cous cous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The only way to start the day this is going to be? Supervalu equivalent of Weetabix, with warm milk and lots of white sugar..

The ultimate in comfort food on the day this will be...

West Mayo; offshore, with Aidan for company.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Ooh savoury mince. I haven't had that In years. I'd swap the peppers for carrots though:).

What did you use for the sauce?

I remember years ago buying the savoury mince seasoning pack from Schwartz, & it was VILE beyond belief.
    I've boycotted the whole company ever since & I won't even buy their dried herbs because of that incident

Schwartz and Erin mixes are the worst. Knorr tend to be better but really, savoury mince needs cheap and cheerful Oxo beef cubes and HP or Worcestershire sauce. You can thicken by adding a tablespoon of flour directly into the beef once it's finished frying, cooking it out for a minute and then adding the liquids. You're effectively making a roux with the oil in the pan + whatever fat comes out of the beef.

- 800g Lean Angus mince beef (5% fat)
    - 1 onion finely diced
    - 2 to 3 carrots, grated
    - 3 Beef oxo cubes dissolved in approx one litre of hot water.
    - 1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
    - 1 tblsp Tomato puree
    - 1 tblsp flour (one and a half if you want a thicker gravy)
    - One large casserole dish with a thick, heavy bottom. Enameled cast iron is perfect.
    - Heavy duty wooden spoon

- Fry onions and carrots in a neutral oil (Sunflower/Vegetable) over moderate heat with a pinch of salt until very soft and tender but no colour - at least 10 minutes
    - Add mince beef to the pot and break it down thoroughly with a wooden spoon to ensure no lumps
    - The beef will start to release water - keep cooking until all moisture has evaporated and you can hear the beef sizzling - another 10-15mins
    - Add the flour into the pan and stir constantly until cooked out - approx 30 seconds to a minute.
    - Add the tomato puree and stir another 30 seconds
    - Add the OXO cubes dissolved in water and the Worcestershire sauce
    - Bring up to just under a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer and reduce down to a thick sauce - 30 - 45 mins
    - Allow to cool and correct seasoning with salt/pepper and extra Worcestershire sauce if more 'oomph' needed.

Serve with buttery mash and veg.

^ starving now after reading that.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that all out:)

I'm going to make that over the weekend.
    We were having fajitas today, & now they dont seem so appealing anymore:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

^ starving now after reading that.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that all out:)

I'm going to make that over the weekend.
    We were having fajitas today, & now they dont seem so appealing anymore:pac:

I'll have the fajitas!! They sound great tbf!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The Chef made chicken hotpot for lunch :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Yeah the Swartz was very weird taste, can't even describe it.

I'll give Knorr a try so, thanks:)

I use beef stock, a tablespoon of flour, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and some tomato puree for a tasty home made sauce for mince.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

46 Long wrote: »
    Schwartz and Erin mixes are the worst. Knorr tend to be better but really, savoury mince needs cheap and cheerful Oxo beef cubes and HP or Worcestershire sauce. You can thicken by adding a tablespoon of flour directly into the beef once it's finished frying, cooking it out for a minute and then adding the liquids. You're effectively making a roux with the oil in the pan + whatever fat comes out of the beef.

- 800g Lean Angus mince beef (5% fat)
    - 1 onion finely diced
    - 2 to 3 carrots, grated
    - 3 Beef oxo cubes dissolved in approx one litre of hot water.
    - 1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
    - 1 tblsp Tomato puree
    - 1 tblsp flour (one and a half if you want a thicker gravy)
    - One large casserole dish with a thick, heavy bottom. Enameled cast iron is perfect.
    - Heavy duty wooden spoon

- Fry onions and carrots in a neutral oil (Sunflower/Vegetable) over moderate heat with a pinch of salt until very soft and tender but no colour - at least 10 minutes
    - Add mince beef to the pot and break it down thoroughly with a wooden spoon to ensure no lumps
    - The beef will start to release water - keep cooking until all moisture has evaporated and you can hear the beef sizzling - another 10-15mins
    - Add the flour into the pan and stir constantly until cooked out - approx 30 seconds to a minute.
    - Add the tomato puree and stir another 30 seconds
    - Add the OXO cubes dissolved in water and the Worcestershire sauce
    - Bring up to just under a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer and reduce down to a thick sauce - 30 - 45 mins
    - Allow to cool and correct seasoning with salt/pepper and extra Worcestershire sauce if more 'oomph' needed.

Serve with buttery mash and veg.

I see you beat me to it. Sorry for being repetitive!

I’ve tried that version 46long and I’m not a fan, don’t like the taste of it.

I’m just after having a beautiful salad sandwich, lettuce, scallion, beetroot, cucumber and gherkins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Cod Thai green curry, picture is before the paste and coconut milk were added, had it with rice, prawn crackers and crispy spicy prawns on the side. The cod was invisible on the plate but the flavour was there.

Normally use half a jar of paste but went the full jar today and threw in extra chillies and garlic. Better than a sauna.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Didn’t feel like cooking tonight so it’s pizza time

Hawaiian pizza with extra pineapple :) Garlic dip on the side :)

• Advertisement

Ham and sausage tortellini with sundried tomato sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Lindas mozzarella burger w/ srirwcha and guac
    Home fries and heinz beans from the micro

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Early afternoon fry
    Lindas sausage
    First time making hash browns at home, think the paprika was the saving grace with them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m sticking some veg into the oven. Including aubergine, which I don’t think I’ve ever had.

cj maxx wrote: »
    I’m sticking some veg into the oven. Including aubergine, which I don’t think I’ve ever had.

I really like aubergine. I put into into chilli curry with chickpeas or sometimes potato. Its nice roasted with other veg too.
    Or Goodfella's do a vegetable pizza in a white box. It's loaded with veg & has chunks of aubergine on it. So good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Aubergine is lovely roasted with red and green peppers and parsnips.

Tonight it's roast chicken, stuffing, potato gratin and a few peas with a splash of chicken gravy. Loads left over (except the gratin) for sandwiches and lunch tomorrow.

Enjoying a beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Having a carbonara with cooked ham. Drooling now thinking about it.

Roast venison with a pint of fizzy vitamin drink...

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Roast venison with a pint of fizzy vitamin drink...

Fizzy vitamin drink?? My fizzy could be considered a vitamin drink as it's the colour of the sun. So I'm going with vitamin D.:D

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Fizzy vitamin drink?? My fizzy could be considered a vitamin drink as it's the colour of the sun. So I'm going with vitamin D.:D

Too much alcohol all week, did the dog on it.

Nice mug of tea now with a few Oatie biscuits, enjoy that vitamin D!

Advertisement