Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Are u on RTE management Dude....give him a quiz show for teenagers ??.

For one thing the lad is on an annual wedge north of half a freekin million ...for another he wouldn't be able to handle such a quizz.

Yeah....Dude....prime RTE management material.....

I think the poster is alluding to Blackboard Jungle which was hosted by Ray D’Arcy in the ‘90s, it was a secondary schools quiz show.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Elmo wrote: »
    I think the poster is alluding to Blackboard Jungle which was hosted by Ray D’Arcy in the ‘90s, it was a secondary schools quiz show.

Thanks ..yes i was aware of that...what I was alluding to was the posters request that D'Arcy now be given a schools quiz show when the lad in on a wedge north of half a million.

Any management that pay such ludicrous salaries to useless planks deserved to sacked.

And D'arcy is just the tip of the iceberg.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Reducing people over 40k isn't gonna make much difference unless they're planning to slash them by 20%!
    And the unions what it restored a later date is incredulous - do they think they're suddenly gonna get a whole load more money

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just more shadow boxing.

Sooner the better they get on with a Broadcasting Commission.

Have the conversation, decide what we want and then fund it properly.

The media world is moving too fast to waste time with this sort of nonsense.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Just more shadow boxing.

Sooner the better they get on with a Broadcasting Commission.

Have the conversation, decide what we want and then fund it properly.

The media world is moving too fast to waste time with this sort of nonsense.

You know that they had a broadcasting public forum only 2 years ago, don’t expect much from a new one.

You know that they had a broadcasting public forum only 2 years ago, don’t expect much from a new one.

I live in hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

elperello wrote: »
    I live in hope :)
    How about an independent, impartial Broadcasting Commission from outside of Ireland?
    RTE are more powerful than the government, and yet nobody voted for them. RTE's governance structure is a joke and belongs to an era long gone by; yet they expect us to continue paying for the exorbitant salaries of untalented individuals and provide programming and services that the elitists in Donnybrook want us to have. They believe that they (RTE) are shaping a nation. Has anyone looked out the window to see the nation that they are shaping?

Disband or re-structure. They should be the only two options for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

fritzelly wrote: »
    Reducing people over 40k isn't gonna make much difference unless they're planning to slash them by 20%!
    And the unions what it restored a later date is incredulous - do they think they're suddenly gonna get a whole load more money

The teachers did.....

Kivaro wrote: »
    How about an independent, impartial Broadcasting Commission from outside of Ireland?
    RTE are more powerful than the government, and yet nobody voted for them. RTE's governance structure is a joke and belongs to an era long gone by; yet they expect us to continue paying for the exorbitant salaries of untalented individuals and provide programming and services that the elitists in Donnybrook want us to have. They believe that they (RTE) are shaping a nation. Has anyone looked out the window to see the nation that they are shaping?

The BAI should be used more but both it’s predecessors had little bite being all headed by the same man for the last 30 years

• Advertisement

Can't see how we could possibly be so craven and dysfunctional as to need to outsource such an important function.

You overestimate the power the power of RTE. It's a public broadcasting service not some secret society.

Disband is not an option we need to bite the bullet and do the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Come on now, RTÉ power was only when Ireland had two stations and whatever they pushed out was gospel. Those days are long gone

If RTÉ has that power we would have no choice on tv license long ago, RTÉ does need to restructure but governments don’t seem to want to go after it. Even SF made no real push to go after it so don’t expect chnage anytime soon

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sunday night 9pm

Nowhere Fast S01E01

RTÉ getting their moneys worth here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Real fantastic impartiality from our national broadcaster.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1234030199316107266?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

The rumbles in the UK about their BBC licence fee are getting louder. If the beep falls, so too will RTE.

The D4 / FG set stick together, and are powerful enough to hold out. But FG's power is slipping, and FF and SF might feel it time to make RTE pay for past transgressions.

So if the beep licence fee goes, and FF and SF feel that FG was shown favouritism over the last 10 years, it may well be Bye Bye Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

satguy wrote: »
    The rumbles in the UK about their BBC licence fee are getting louder. If the beep falls, so too will RTE.

The D4 / FG set stick together, and are powerful enough to hold out. But FG's power is slipping, and FF and SF might feel it time to make RTE pay for past transgressions.

So if the beep licence fee goes, and FF and SF feel that FG was shown favouritism over the last 10 years, it may well be Bye Bye Licence.

The BBC have a charter until 2027, Boris and his band of motley misfits will be well gone by then.

The licence fee is going nowhere in Britain until then at least.

Anyway if the Beeb is encrypted, that is less competition for RTE so it would be good news for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

satguy wrote: »

The sooner that RTE goes, the better.
    Another example of the disservice that they provide to the people who pay their exorbitant wages and pensions is the disinformation that they are putting out on Covid-19.

The country needs an impartial and honest national broadcaster who can survive within their means.
    RTE are not to be trusted.

Boggles wrote: »
    The BBC have a charter until 2027, Boris and his band of motley misfits will be well gone by then.

The licence fee is going nowhere in Britain until then at least.

Anyway if the Beeb is encrypted, that is less competition for RTE so it would be good news for them.

Not really. BBC don't sell advertising so there audience share doesn't effect RTÉ, and RTÉ misuses their slate of BBC programmes, e.g. most should be on the RTÉ player when possible as they appear on the BBC iPlayer. Though the RTÉ Player is a whole other post in itself.

Not really. BBC don't sell advertising so there audience share doesn't effect RTÉ, and RTÉ misuses their slate of BBC programmes, e.g. most should be on the RTÉ player when possible as they appear on the BBC iPlayer. Though the RTÉ Player is a whole other post in itself.

Of course it does. IF something is on BBC and on RTE primarily I would watch it on the BBC.

The BBC currently beams in 4 billion worth of FTA content to every home in Ireland (if they want it).

Remove that and you take a pretty big player out of the Irish market.

Of course it does. IF something is on BBC and on RTE primarily I would watch it on the BBC.

The BBC currently beams in 4 billion worth of FTA content to every home in Ireland (if they want it).

Currently BBC doesn't take advert revenue, if it went behind a paywall or unavailable
    1. not all audience will move to RTÉ
    2. Advertisers pay only a certain amount each year they make those decisions at the begin of their advert year, regardless of if its a 70% of TV viewers or 100%, BBC showing ads to Irish Audiences would be more detrimental, than BBC being unavailable.

BBC could always use their FTA commerical channels UKTV to provide more content to the market or Britbox.

As I say RTÉ have the ablity to take BBC content an put it on the RTÉ player as it becomes available on BBC iPlayer, they should be doing this if they have the rights.

• Advertisement

New season of Line of Duty coming soon. By the time RTE get it, and insist on putting it on at late o'clock. I'll have already watched it on BBC.

And if by some miracle RTE got it on the same night and broadcast at the same time as BBC. I'd still watch it on BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Do RTE think people don't have English channels or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they are already getting increasing revenue with all the new homes being built that will pay a license fee, frankly, oaps not having to pay it, is a farce!

I dont think you can reasonably expect, people to pay E160 a year, to fund the kind racket RTE run is acceptable. I would put them up there as bearing some responsibility for the state this country is in. Take the housing crisis for example, "oh we will get eoghan murphy in and blast him" - lets get the biggest cuplrits in, the local councils, if they were shining the spot light, where it needs to go, there would be far more pressure, to get this solved. Not this "eoghan murphy" is solely responsible bull****. Their "analysis" is pathetic and I think its deliberate here, local, national politics and RTE, they all scratch each others backs...

New season of Line of Duty coming soon. By the time RTE get it, and insist on putting it on at late o'clock. I'll have already watched it on BBC.

And if by some miracle RTE got it on the same night and broadcast at the same time as BBC. I'd still watch it on BBC.

RTÉ should aim to put Line of Duty on the Player when it arrives on BBC, and later on RTÉ at late o'clock if they want. Their use of imports is a joke. 25m spend and vast majority air in late o'clock.

2. Advertisers pay only a certain amount each year they make those decisions at the begin of their advert year, regardless of if its a 70% of TV viewers or 100%,

Advertisers pay a rate based on several factors. The main one being viewership.

If there is less competition in the market, RTE can grow their viewership which in turn grows advertising revenue. i.e. what they can charge.

Whether the BBC show ads or not is moot.

The potential also to create new content is available.

e.g If Match of the Day is no longer available in Ireland, RTE sports could setup up their own, like they did in the past.

I didn't watch the Premiership on RTE because Match of the Day was superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

RTe arent inivative, because they dont need to be. they just hold out their hand instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The RTE news website is desperately pumping up the paranoia wrt to the coronavirus in a bid to drive clicks their way.

The RTE news website is desperately pumping up the paranoia wrt to the coronavirus in a bid to drive clicks their way.

You mean news website reports absolutely huge news story like every other news outlet?

Advertisers pay a rate based on several factors. The main one being viewership.

If there is less competition in the market, RTE can grow their viewership which in turn grows advertising revenue. i.e. what they can charge.

Whether the BBC show ads or not is moot.

The potential also to create new content is available.

e.g If Match of the Day is no longer available in Ireland, RTE sports could setup up their own, like they did in the past.

I didn't watch the Premiership on RTE because Match of the Day was superior.

You are right to say that RTÉ can grow their market if a competitor leaves but when the competitor is not in the advertising market they cann't add to the amount of money spent on TV advertising.

I have been through this argument before. But it was explained to me, that for example the advertising pot is 200m per year for TV that's all there is, if RTÉ increase their audience share and take some from those channels advertising in Ireland yes they can gain some, but this results in RTÉ eating into those other companies revenue.

on the other hand if RTÉ stopped showing adds tomorrow Virgin Media would get the bulk of this even without increasing its audience share, eventually other competitors would enter the market and the vast majority of ad revenue would soon end up in the UK.

However if the BBC started advertising on BBC 1 in the republic they would only eat into the 200m pot of ad revenue available. Same goes for any new advertiser coming into the market. Nearly 30% of the audience do not watch TV channels with Irish advertising on them. If they were to enter the market they'd be lucky to earn 60m from the 200m pot, for various other reason.

But some else would explain this better.

• Advertisement

You are right to say that RTÉ can grow their market if a competitor leaves but when the competitor is not in the advertising market they cann't add to the amount of money spent on TV advertising.

I have been through this argument before. But it was explained to me, that for example the advertising pot is 200m per year for TV that's all there is, if RTÉ increase their audience share and take some from those channels advertising in Ireland yes they can gain some, but this results in RTÉ eating into those other companies revenue.

on the other hand if RTÉ stopped showing adds tomorrow Virgin Media would get the bulk of this even without increasing its audience share, eventually other competitors would enter the market and the vast majority of ad revenue would soon end up in the UK.

However if the BBC started advertising on BBC 1 in the republic they would only eat into the 200m pot of ad revenue available. Same goes for any new advertiser coming into the market. Nearly 30% of the audience do not watch TV channels with Irish advertising on them. If they were to enter the market they'd be lucky to earn 60m from the 200m pot, for various other reason.

But some else would explain this better.

Advertisers will adjust to where the eyes are, if new prime time shows that were previously watched elsewhere for free appear on RTE this will create an audience.

This audience will demand a premium.

The amount spent by advertisers on TV fluctuates, it is not static.

Advertisement