Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Aren't we repeatedly told that these presenters are private contractors, not owed the usual trappings of employment like pensions, whenever we criticise their stratospheric costs.

She would be staff AFAIK, she isn't one of the top earners.

I don't know I'd still fire the man in charge of 2 bureaus one in Belfast and one in London for sending a presenting team to both locations when staff are already in those locations. None of those presenters should have been sent, when others could have covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Our money is being well spent on tonight's episode of RTE Investigates.
    "Two years after being recognised as a distinct ethnic group, RTE Investigates examines the accommodation crisis for travellers."

With all the real crisis situations going on in Ireland, is that what the crack team of RTE investigators spend days/weeks/months working on?
    My guess is that this will be a one-sided investigation e.g. questions will not be asked on the employment situation of these travellers, or the team will not investigate the source of funds behind the high-end vehicles of some of these travellers looking for free housing.

Where is RTE's investigation into the Insurance industry in Ireland?
    Or indeed the false claimants who are driving up insurance prices for the rest of us? (Hint: you may find a correlation between these scammers and the topic of the 'show' tonight).

Kivaro wrote: »

Or indeed the false claimants who are driving up insurance prices for the rest of us? (Hint: you may find a correlation between these scammers and the topic of the 'show' tonight).

I’d say you’d also find a few insurance companies behind those inflated insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That programme has been postponed.
    Longer Prime Time followed by Showbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Our money is being well spent on tonight's episode of RTE Investigates.
    "Two years after being recognised as a distinct ethnic group, RTE Investigates examines the accommodation crisis for travellers."

With all the real crisis situations going on in Ireland, is that what the crack team of RTE investigators spend days/weeks/months working on?

real crisis situations?
    if travelers are facing issues accessing accommodation then i am afraid, that is a crisis. one's disagreement with them or other issues involving members of the community, or even one's dislike of them does not change that reality.
    My guess is that this will be a one-sided investigation e.g. questions will not be asked on the employment situation of these travellers, or the team will not investigate the source of funds behind the high-end vehicles of some of these travellers looking for free housing.

unless it's relevant to the theme of the program then there is no reason to waste time investigating such issues as it takes away from what the program is there to hi-light.
    by all means investigate those issues separately, i think it has been done already, but the program would be about the accommodation crisis travelers face and not other issues that some members of the community will be involved in.
    there is nothing 1 sided about investigating a specific issue effecting a community some will have issues with or even dislike.

i'm sure it will come at some stage.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

And then the have the cheek to look for an increase in the licence fee, shower of muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

And if that wasn't enough the licence payer subsidises a large extension to his home and I see they're about to do the same for Dr Avas property in Portugal

I suppose it being a small country the pool of prospective guests is quite restricted.
    Probably not enough international guests coming to Dublin these days.
    What about a return to the panel type of chat show?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Nathan Carter is on again with his 3 Arena show after The Tommy Tiernan Show tonight. Has that been repeated before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Plenty of things to complain about but not sure who else they are supposed to put onto the Late Late Show?

To be honest,I don't mind a bit of Dermot.

If RTE spent millions flying in guests from around the World people would complain about that.

RTE knows it gets a big audience for Late Late, so might as well try and push a few of its own shows while it is doing it. All the channels do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Plenty of things to complain about but not sure who else they are supposed to put onto the Late Late Show?

If RTE spent millions flying in guests from around the World people would complain about that.

RTE knows it gets a big audience for Late Late, so might as well try and push a few of its own shows while it is doing it. All the channels do the same.

Well said Shef....you nailed it there ...nice and succinct.

Some RTE moaners think IRE is the center of the Universe.

Not just a small backwater in the shadow of the United Kingdom ....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Big names won't travel past London anymore, the big shows over there are pre-records, midweek when the "stars" usually do their press.

The Late Late is live and unlike 99% of the shows out there.

There isn't many shows interviewing the parents of a dead child and then going to interview an original Beatle who is by no means is anyway bitter, "honestly".

Both fascinating interviews I thought.

People expect too much from the Late Late and are just whinging because it's an Irish past time.

I think its a non-story, but I would rather read the mirror than watch Dermot and Ryan have a chat about the only programme RTÉ make!

Interestingly TLLS audience has been waning but with the 4 deaths RIP they increase their audience. I suspect with the pre-recorded TTS and its popularity that it will help TLLS on Friday night.

Boggles wrote: »
    There isn't many shows interviewing the parents of a dead child and then going to interview an original Beatle who is by no means is anyway bitter, "honestly".

Both fascinating interviews I thought.

IMO this is the problem with TLLS which I have stated before, they need a sad story, good forbid anyone should have a laugh. I didn't watch because TLLS is not something I am interested in, I think Tommy is slowly getting to that sad story emotional story Chat Show. Ray D'Arcy was doing the same thing on a different night.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Elmo wrote: »
    IMO this is the problem with TLLS which I have stated before, they need a sad story, good forbid anyone should have a laugh. I didn't watch because TLLS is not something I am interested in, I think Tommy is slowly getting to that sad story emotional story Chat Show. Ray D'Arcy was doing the same thing on a different night.

... and don't forget both Tubs and Darcy do it during the day quite often as well.

NIMAN wrote: »
    ... and don't forget both Tubs and Darcy do it during the day quite often as well.

On the way into work was listening to Tubs talk to a woman who'd moved to Vancouver. Originally from Tipp, moved to Auz when she was 2, then moved back to Ireland at 18 and then up to Dublin for 15years, she wasn't home for christmas and herself and her friend went drinking on Christmas Eve. She down 3 shots of vodka before going to the pub, then 5 doubles in the pub and guess what she blacked out. Woke up in her own bed with a hospital tag on her hand, no recollection of the night.

Not sure if this was at all a story, maybe something happened after that but it took so long just to get to the black out I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

On the way into work was listening to Tubs talk to a woman who'd moved to Vancouver. Originally from Tipp, moved to Auz when she was 2, then moved back to Ireland at 18 and then up to Dublin for 15years, she wasn't home for christmas and herself and her friend went drinking on Christmas Eve. She down 3 shots of vodka before going to the pub, then 5 doubles in the pub and guess what she blacked out. Woke up in her own bed with a hospital tag on her hand, no recollection of the night.

Not sure if this was at all a story, maybe something happened after that but it took so long just to get to the black out I gave up.

may have read that , she went down stairs to disapproving looks from her irish housemates. has reconsidered her drinking, has now giving it up, or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

2smiggy wrote: »
    may have read that , she went down stairs to disapproving looks from her irish housemates. has reconsidered her drinking, has now giving it up, or something like that

One bad night on the drink and she gives up? Lightweight.

The Late Late Show has always been a mix since it's inception.

I don't think that is the problem with it, unless you think that was the problem with it since the start?

Do you want another Graham Norton / Ross style pre-record, celeb comes on - tells "witty" story - flogs whatever shíté they are selling while the host belts out some "risky" commentary? Personally I'm tired of that format.

Tommy was the best thing every last year, now it is slowly but surely turning on him as he has been given a prime time show.

Ray is pretty bad on Telly, should be retired from it or given a quiz show for teenagers.

• Advertisement

It's only been mixed as much in the last 20 years since Gay left. I am not saying that gay didn't bring up big issues he clearly did, but he'd have a big debate in the studio, I mean look back on the Scientology debate, I can't see that being done now, and its a long form debate.

Very rarely would you see a panel of guests on either Pat or Ryan's late late show.

I am not saying that Gay got it right all the time or that I am a huge fan of Gay Byrne as a host and its not just TLLS.

It's this obsession with depressingly sad stories.

It's only been mixed as much in the last 20 years since Gay left

It was pretty mixed back in the day too.

He did a lot of troubles related stuff and of course the catholic elements, then a drunk actor telling funny stories.

Society has changed far more drastically than the format of the show TBF.

Maybe it is time to give someone else a crack at it, but who?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If you're watching RTÉ One right now. They have Bibi Baskin's show on there as a tribute to Larry Gogan's death earlier this year. As Larry Gogan's passing was really sad to hear a few weeks ago. As I watching this right now; the quality of this archived programme right now looks really impressive. RTÉ should set up that proposed RTÉ Plus/RTÉ Three channel on Saorview years ago or put more full archived programmes on the RTÉ Player to make the TV licence more worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

If you're watching RTÉ One right now. They have Bibi Baskin's show on there as a tribute to Larry Gogan's death earlier this year. As Larry Gogan's passing was really sad to hear a few weeks ago. As I watching this right now; the quality of this archived programme right now looks really impressive. RTÉ should set up that proposed RTÉ Plus/RTÉ Three channel on Saorview years ago or put more full archived programmes on the RTÉ Player to make the TV licence more worthwhile.

True, everytime Reeling In The Years comes on i still watch it, even though i've seen them all about 20 times by now.

Good idea.

In the meantime the archives are here - https://www.rte.ie/archives/

They are searchable. Put your local area in a search and see what comes up.

Health Warning - you can waste a serious amount of time :)

Well their plan to move sport to RTÉ ONE is going really well.

Finn Harps match will air on RTÉ2
    while all Women's and U21 rugby coverage is airing on .... RTÉ2

Here's one of their plans that needs no governmental approval yet they sit on their hands, exactly what they've accused the department of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

elperello wrote: »
    They are searchable. Put your local area in a search and see what comes up.
    I searched Wateford and got strike five years old, inner city aid, health cuts, boy murdered, infirmary to close and redundancy.

vriesmays wrote: »
    I searched Wateford and got strike five years old, inner city aid, health cuts, boy murdered, infirmary to close and redundancy.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/category/archives/?q=waterford&filter=programmeid:30004608%20OR%20uri:*%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Farchives%2F*&page=1

I searched Waterford and got 185 results, see link.

I didn't go through them all but something good must have happened in Waterford sometime. :)

(only joking I really like Waterford)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

With RTE's focus on the 10,000 people looking for social housing every year and making it a top election issue, there is some irony that if Sinn Fein gets into power as a result of RTE then a lot of their pundits/stars/broadcasters will get hit with Sinn Fein's wealth tax.

I would imagine that the liberal left bastion at RTE is quaking at the thought of this, so we should expect to see RTE being very vocal in the coming days in their objections to Sinn Fein forming a government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

I don't think that is the problem with it, unless you think that was the problem with it since the start?

Do you want another Graham Norton / Ross style pre-record, celeb comes on - tells "witty" story - flogs whatever shíté they are selling while the host belts out some "risky" commentary? Personally I'm tired of that format.

Tommy was the best thing every last year, now it is slowly but surely turning on him as he has been given a prime time show.

Ray is pretty bad on Telly, should be retired from it or given a quiz show for teenagers.

Are u on RTE management Dude....give him a quiz show for teenagers ??.

For one thing the lad is on an annual wedge north of half a freekin million ...for another he wouldn't be able to handle such a quizz.

Yeah....Dude....prime RTE management material.....

Advertisement