Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hit the nail on the head...i listened to abit of marty morrisey this morning...he was filling in for tubridy....
    It was fairly sh1te but far less annoying than the DLB....

Alot cheaper too....just get rid of anyone in RTE over 200k...

Lyric for me for the past get weeks. Radio one would want to make you top yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im actually listening to RTE Gold on smart speaker.....

Theres no DJs whatsoever....its the only way radio should be!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They've been putting Gold on radio 1 a few times over xmas as they did during the early lockdown. Bit heavy on the 80s cheesy stuff but anything is better than the usual doom and gloom.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The RTE Player was launched on the 21st of April 2009 and has been complete dog sh1t since day one.

I'd rather step in dogshít than try to watch something on RTE player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

A harbinger of doom (aka RTE presenter) was trying to goad Leo Varadkar this morning on RTE to admit that there would be 3,000 Covid cases per day very soon in Ireland and we would have to shut down the schools again. They only let up on him when he said that we would probably be in this lockdown for the next 3 months. Even though it was on RTE radio, I could sense the evil rubbing of the hands by the presenter at this admission.

What in the holy fluck are RTE going to do when everyone's vaccinated in Ireland and Covid becomes a non-story later this year? They must be really worried that if they cannot focus the nation on Armageddon-type events, then the public may just start to focus on the purveyors of gloom (aka RTE) instead. At the moment, attention is not on them and their wasteful/inefficient/intolerable-service ways and the television license millionaires in Donnybrook, but soon that may change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6335969/rte-dee-forbes-wage-bill-plummet/

RTE boss Dee Forbes has defended the massive wage bill at Montrose
    She said: “Audiences expect RTE to attract the best broadcasters, something which is also essential to allow RTE to generate commercial revenue which we are so reliant on.

"However, these fees are under constant review. As previously announced, we reduced the overall fees paid to our ten highest earning presenters by 15 per cent at the start of the year.”

“Market forces dictate how much certain people are paid which is why many sectors pay more than the Taoiseach.

“Nonetheless, I understand why people raise the question, and we do try to balance the commercial reality against that public concern.”

Any one expect these presenters and their wages?
    RTE will publish its top 10 earners for the past three years shortly
    The DG explained: “We have carried over the publication of details of our highest earners to early 2021 to allow us to prepare complete figures for 2017, 2018 and 2019, all of which will be published simultaneously.

“RTE gave a public commitment in 2008 to publish details of its 10 highest earners, which we have been doing since then.

“The Director-General’s earnings and expenses are also published in RTE’s annual report and staff salary bands are published on RTE.ie.”

So the top ten earners have had the publication of their wages published 2 years after the fact since at least 2003, if not 2005.

This is the 3rd occasion that RTÉ have not published those figures on time.

https://www.rte.ie/documents/about/top10payments_2004.pdf
    https://www.rte.ie/documents/about/2005highearnersonanearningsbasis.pdf
    https://www.rte.ie/documents/about/top_pay_2007_2008.pdf (2007 and 2008 publish in 2009)
    http://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/top-10-table-27-03-2013.pdf (2009, 2010 and 2011 published in 2013, I Think)
    https://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/final-rte-top-ten-highest-paid-press-release-table-dec-2015-final.pdf (2012, 2013 and 2014 in 2015)

Regardless her defense and reasoning is nuts (for want of a better word, but I can't be arsed).

Happy Christmas all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Kivaro wrote: »
    A harbinger of doom (aka RTE presenter) was trying to goad Leo Varadkar this morning on RTE to admit that there would be 3,000 Covid cases per day very soon in Ireland and we would have to shut down the schools again. They only let up on him when he said that we would probably be in this lockdown for the next 3 months. Even though it was on RTE radio, I could sense the evil rubbing of the hands by the presenter at this admission.

What in the holy fluck are RTE going to do when everyone's vaccinated in Ireland and Covid becomes a non-story later this year? They must be really worried that if they cannot focus the nation on Armageddon-type events, then the public may just start to focus on the purveyors of gloom (aka RTE) instead. At the moment, attention is not on them and their wasteful/inefficient/intolerable-service ways and the television license millionaires in Donnybrook, but soon that may change.

Easy-they'll scare people again with 'not everyone got the vaccine' or 'the vaccine is only 'so-many-percentage' effective. Or Clare Byrne will come out with 'did you get a placebo instead of the vaccine?' 'What to do if you don't qualify to get the vaccine'.
    Or the humdinger-'HeShe was vaccinated-but he/she still got COVID!!!'

Well, yeah-a vaccine is a preventative. But even if you get the disease, you'll get a much milder form. Same as the flu. Or the mumps.

In fairness Vigin Media's attack today in the same paper is just as nuts.

Bill Malone formerly of RTÉ2 (a channel devoid of any content outside of sport, and largely destroyed on his watch) suggests that it was RTÉ's schedule that cause the fall of Red Rock, not the absolute muck that aired before the soap or the bad scheduling of the series by TV3 going on long breaks, turning it into 10 seasons of a 2 season show. No, the downfall was RTÉ's 10 weeks of Operation Transformation that got it. And in no way did the takeover of both TV3 and UTV Ireland by Virgin Media cause them to axe the show on the return of Coro St and Emmerdale.

I got to ask him what did he think would happen to TV3 when UTV Ireland started broadcasting. No insight what so ever.

I then tell him my thoughts, saying that it will be divided down the middle with TV3 getting 7% and UTV Ireland and UTV getting 7% (at the time TV3 had 10% and UTV proper had 4%). And because UTV Ireland had no sport and because TV3 had lost the soaps but had sport and weekend ITV that largely it would be divided between both.

He said it's to early to say. I said it was quite obvious. And it was TV3 retain 7%, UTV Ireland had 6% and UTV retained 1%. Virgin Media ONE now has 10 - 13% a month!

pinch of salt when reading.... News largely made up of former Ireland Live producers and it shows.... VM News is much better than TV3 News, and that's due to Ireland Live staffers. IMO.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/6339615/virgin-media-rte-boss-irish-tv-business/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Very pleasant news presenter on 6.1 this evening. She didn't look like a robot doomsayer like the rest of them. There is no way in hell that RTE would have her there permanently, as she is far too relatable and actually smiles (in a genuine manner).
    Eileen is her name or I'd say maybe Eibhlin since I've seen her on TG4 too.

On a side note, George Lee was waaaaaaay too gleeful presenting his "exponential" projections for the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Very pleasant news presenter on 6.1 this evening. She didn't look like a robot doomsayer like the rest of them. There is no way in hell that RTE would have her there permanently, as she is far too relatable and actually smiles (in a genuine manner).

On a side note, George Lee was waaaaaaay too gleeful presenting his "exponential" projections for the coming weeks.

X 1,000

• Advertisement

Eibhlín Ní Choistealbha, methinks.

And I agree with your sentiments, too. I worry she’s not in Noel Kelly’s talent stable :D

How can any of those RTE personalities be in any way objective when they are getting courtesy cars and cash endorsements from private business.
    If BMW or Audi are giving you a free new car on loan every year how will you report objectively on emission cheating...or exploitative employment practices by fashion retailers.
    Even The Late Late Show was sponsored by Renault at a time when their software was cheating emissions. Sky Broadband sponsor them now I believe.
    In other Countries this sponsorship of employees and shows would be prohibited or strictly controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have all the big name presenters got ALL of Xmas off?

They are all notable by their absence this last week.

Nice job if you can get it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

NIMAN wrote: »

You probably won’t see any of them until at least January 4th!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The are a complete joke for a public service, the always had the excuse that Christmas was a quite time of the year, News wise.

This year the have being caught out with Brexit and Covid figures gone through the roof and shown up for what a joke of a so called public service the provide,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Lottie's always available... I'm sure she'd be happy to have ANYONE call her...

....she did 'win' Dancing with the Stars...

...despite being the last person anyone calls for a presenting role on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

It's some boys club alright or should I say girls club.
    It's the same at any holiday time the usual gang of lickar8es vanish.
    Then they wheel out the better and probably more qualified presenters but because they don't have the same connections they are only used to cover when the STARS are on holidays.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ 1 currently showing ‘The Francis Street Photographer’....

You know, just in case anyone missed it when they showed it yesterday.

#Christmas #Schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RTÉ 1 currently showing ‘The Francis Street Photographer’....

You know, just in case anyone missed it when they showed it yesterday.

#Christmas #Schedule

What did you think of it?

Well worth a watch if you missed it.

I think that and The Real Field which was also on RTE last night were two of the best documentaries that I have seen on any channel this year

I had a licence fee man calling to the door a few weeks ago because the house is a new build and he was looking for a name....

I said "no thanks" and closed the door....

Tubridy on 500k taking holidays like he is a teacher....(teachers deserve their break)

No chance i am contributing to that disgusting level of remuneration for someone so unbelivably undeserving of it....

Imagine getting Covid 19 and then proceeding to lecture the nation weekly on the importance of not getting it....

The neck of him...

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    What did you think of it?

Well worth a watch if you missed it.

I think that and The Real Field which was also on RTE last night were two of the best documentaries that I have seen on any channel this year

You would say that anyway.

mgn wrote: »
    You would say that anyway.

Cold house here as usual for anyone who says anything positive about RTE programmes :)

Did you watch either of those documentaries yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

The real field was very good. And made total sense to put the actual film on after. First time I've watched 2 listings on rte back to back in a very long time.

Not to put words in the previous posters mouth but I think the point was that a programme was repeated within 24 hours of it's original broadcast. Highlighting the volume of repeats.

Cold house here as usual for anyone who says anything positive about RTE programmes :)

Another positive thing ill say about RTE...

I enjoy RTE Gold radio station and Lyric fm...

Id make a contribution towards that...maybe €50 fee a year for it along with some useful tv programming...e.g news, docs, Tg4, few kids things etc...

Im not paying Ryan Tubridys wages

Yep both good, but they could do more. Sorry the short shrift is because.... RTÉ always highlight there own good work and because there is so little of it,

Did you watch

Mrs browne's boys
    Their repeat of last Christmases celebrity knock off of gogglebox
    Or gaybo laughs back
    Or pat short on d'telly repeats?
    ?

Another positive thing ill say about RTE...

I enjoy RTE Gold radio station and Lyric fm...

Id make a contribution towards that...maybe €50 fee a year for it along with some useful tv programming...e.g news, docs, Tg4, few kids things etc...

Im not paying Ryan Tubridys wages

TG4 is a separate company they get nuact from RTÉ and a few repeat irish languages Shows.

Very few children's things they have cut that budget by 75% and only because not covid did they have to produce home school hub.

Elmo wrote: »
    Yep both good, but they could do more. Sorry the short shrift is because.... RTÉ always highlight there own good work and because there is so little of it,

Did you watch

Mrs browne's boys
    Their repeat of last Christmases celebrity knock off of gogglebox
    Or gaybo laughs back
    Or pat short on d'telly repeats?
    ?

Of course more of the good stuff would be better. It's hardly unusual that they highlight their good work. This is show biz after all.

Seeing as you ask -

I don't like MBB. I like BO'C but not that oul wan he hangs out with :).
    Not into Gogglebox or celebrity vehicles.
    I like almost anything with Gaybo or Pat Short.

I did, the Francis street one not really of much interest to me but i can see the attraction for some.
    The Real Field could have being a good documentary but I felt it was more about promoting RTE's go to publican Billy Keane than what the actual program was about.

Now that you have tried to divert attention away from what was discussed here,
    What is your opinion on all the star presenters gone off on a 2 week break at probably one of the most important times this country has ever faced.

mgn wrote: »
    I did, the Francis street one not really of much interest to me but i can see the attraction for some.
    The Real Field could have being a good documentary but I felt it was more about promoting RTE's go to publican Billy Keane than what the actual program was about.

Now that you have tried to divert attention away from what was discussed here,
    What is your opinion on all the star presenters gone off on a 2 week break at probably one of the most important times this country has ever faced.

I didn't post to divert attention at all.
    I was responding to another poster who mentioned the RTE documentary.

When the "star presenters" are on air all they get is abuse here, yet when they are on a break you want them back.

I suppose if it's in their contracts that's it.

A bit more news would have been good.

• Advertisement

I didn't post to divert attention at all.
    I was responding to another poster who mentioned the RTE documentary.

When the "star presenters" are on air all they get is abuse here, yet when they are on a break you want them back.

I suppose if it's in their contracts that's it.

A bit more news would have been good.

I personally would be quite happy if the never came back,
    the new presenters that's covering for them are in fact a lot better than them,
    and probably only getting paid a fraction of what the stars are getting paid.
    So keep them a huge saving there straight away.

RTE are a shambles of an organisation, like this evening for example the 1pm News on at 5.30pm on the RTE News Now channel for the day that's in it.

Nobody outside RTE can defend that.

Advertisement