Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If its working would be a shame to gut it. Now, a wash on the other hand would be no harm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

If its working would be a shame to gut it. Now, a wash on the other hand would be no harm :)

Well inherited from the missus' house so technically not mine.
    Missing power supply and a few bits.

Steves looks 1000 times better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a multicart out there for the Vic20 as well, called Behr Bonz AFAIK.
    Its not made any more but it was very very good if I remember correctly.
    There are a decent number of titles on the format, Llamasoft were particularly prolific.

Edit:
    Even better again,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

If the VIC 20 is working then a wash a refurb is all she needs, it would be a shame to gut it if it's operational.
    I actually dont have a VIC 20, must pick one up.

Edit:
    Actually, I'd love to get an old battle scarred VIC 20 and give it a wash and rub down with some 0000 steel wool and finish it off with a nice coat of matte white paint.

I have an old C64 hard plastic protective cover that was manky, really nasty yellow that I just couldn't get back to it's original white. So i painted it last week in gloss white(didn't have matte at the time). Really cleaned it up nice.
    JSAZnav.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

And to think my folks gave the family Vic-20 away to my cousins ... Still at least I have three C64s (at least two breadbins still working, not sure about the newer model); sadly all up in the attic in the family home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭inbrodericko

When will it support W10?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

When will it support W10?

When Microsoft get their finger out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Lemming wrote: »
    Still at least I have three C64s (at least two breadbins still working, not sure about the newer model)

I think the version of Windows 10 that lands on the Pi will be very different to what most people are expecting.
    It'll be more for devs and people like that rather than consumers looking for a functional Windows operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

MrVestek wrote: »
    When Microsoft get their finger out?

I'd assume the biggest hurdle would actually be drivers for the hardware...just my guess. I'm running Windows 10 on 4 different machines. Most are fine a couple are missing drivers.

• Advertisement

https://www.tindie.com/products/petrockblog/controlblock/
    The ControlBlock is an extension board for the Raspberry Pi (TM) versions 1/2 and models A/B. The two key features of the ControlBlock are

a power switch functionality and
    general purpose input/output (GPIO) pins ready to use, e.g., for connecting arcade or SNES controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Anyone guess if a pi would fit in a PSOne casing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

maybe a Raspberry Pi A+

not sure about Raspberry Pi B+ or 2.

bearing in mind that the original A & B are no longer on sale.

penev10 wrote: »
    Anyone guess if a pi would fit in a PSOne casing?

You might have to desolder some components but I'd say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I think the version of Windows 10 that lands on the Pi will be very different to what most people are expecting.
    It'll be more for devs and people like that rather than consumers looking for a functional Windows operating system.

Screenshot_2015_05_10_16_00_59_20150513123630413.jpg

*cough* ..seems to be an 'internet of things' Windows extension. Why bother..

Here's YouTube user Explaining Computer's quick and informative overview.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Tried converting roms using ClrMAMEPro to change them all using the AdvMAME 1.02 dat file, but ended up with loads of files relating to other games, and most of them just wouldn't work at all. :( Anyone else done this and had it work properly?

Raspberry Pi 2 €59 with all the essentials. Today only.

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

eddhorse wrote: »
    Raspberry Pi 2 €59 with all the essentials. Today only.

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

+
    12.50 postage, so 72.50 all in, is this a good price. I see only a 8g card comes WI h it, is this enough, or am. I better in buying just the pi on it's own, SD card elsewere and already have chatger/hdmi

Seems a bit much to me to be honest. Got mine for €35.30 here, €4 delivery from their own dedicated vans:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/b/raspberry-pi/

I'd bought that and a charger, ordered it on a Friday morning, the charger was delivered Friday afternoon, the Pi itself on Monday afternoon.

Worth noting the Raspberry Pi B+ officially dropped to $25 today. It's not the latest rpi2, but still a decent board. The A+ is only $20 by the way.

• Advertisement

Anyone thinking of using the B+ for retro gaming purposes though should watch the comparison videos of games running on the B+ and the 2 B. And SNES games that used the Super FX chips for example run incredibly slowly on the B+, and run well on the 2 B. Haven't gotten to try most of the MAME games yet, but the (80s/early 90s) ones I've got going on the 2 B so far ran great, but the B+ would probably have no problem with them either.

Yeah, for the extra 10 quid it's with going for the rpi2.
    But most of my rpi projects recently have called for the much smaller and lower power A+. But none of them are emulation projects.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ok, i might go with that site, where do they ship from? Might go with the pi 2 and charger,
    If someone can pm me a link to were i can just download whatever is needed and I just transfer to ad card and a way I go with Kodiak, ice etc....
    Star Lord wrote: »
    Seems a bit much to me to be honest. Got mine for €35.30 here, €4 delivery from their own dedicated vans:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/b/raspberry-pi/

I'd bought that and a charger, ordered it on a Friday morning, the charger was delivered Friday afternoon, the Pi itself on Monday afternoon.

They're based in Rialto, offer collection on some things, but doesn't seem to be available on the Pi 2 B at least.

What are you looking to run on it?

Ha right, was wondering how u got it same day, dono what I'm looking to run on it, that link on the ibod website all the items that's included on that would keep me happy enough, would be just plugging it in for missus to watch some tv shows etc. I assume it's bit like an android box?
    The pi 2 is the latest / fastest at the moment?

Yeah, Pi 2 (listed as Pi 2 or Pi 2 B) is the latest one.
    For a media centre, something like this would do the job:
    http://lifehacker.com/5929913/build-a-xbmc-media-center-with-a-35-raspberry-pi

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

I am looking to do similar. I'd like to use kodi and also run retropie on it. What the best one? I need to buy all the other stuff for it to like the keyboard, charger, cards and case so if someone can recommend the cheapest site(s) to get all these. Thanks

*Edit* Is Mod my Pi the cheapest to pick up everything I need in one go? About 85 for everything...

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I am looking to do similar. I'd like to use kodi and also run retropie on it. What the best one? I need to buy all the other stuff for it to like the keyboard, charger, cards and case so if someone can recommend the cheapest site(s) to get all these. Thanks

Definitely Raspberry Pi 2 for Kodi and Retropie.

Ok thanks I'll check the website out.. So I take it a USB mouse and keyboard is a definite?
    Yea kodi is what I think I will be going for,
    Is that shop you linked to the cheapest or can it be got online for cheaper? For the pi2

• Advertisement

Ok just check that site.. It added vat on the end.. Prob cause they're a trade website so the pi & charger at coming to 57

Advertisement