Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raspberry PI

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

https://www.tindie.com/products/petrockblog/controlblock/
    The ControlBlock is an extension board for the Raspberry Pi (TM) versions 1/2 and models A/B. The two key features of the ControlBlock are

a power switch functionality and
    general purpose input/output (GPIO) pins ready to use, e.g., for connecting arcade or SNES controllers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Anyone guess if a pi would fit in a PSOne casing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

maybe a Raspberry Pi A+

not sure about Raspberry Pi B+ or 2.

bearing in mind that the original A & B are no longer on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

penev10 wrote: »
    Anyone guess if a pi would fit in a PSOne casing?

You might have to desolder some components but I'd say yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I think the version of Windows 10 that lands on the Pi will be very different to what most people are expecting.
    It'll be more for devs and people like that rather than consumers looking for a functional Windows operating system.

Screenshot_2015_05_10_16_00_59_20150513123630413.jpg

*cough* ..seems to be an 'internet of things' Windows extension. Why bother..

Here's YouTube user Explaining Computer's quick and informative overview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Tried converting roms using ClrMAMEPro to change them all using the AdvMAME 1.02 dat file, but ended up with loads of files relating to other games, and most of them just wouldn't work at all. :( Anyone else done this and had it work properly?

Raspberry Pi 2 €59 with all the essentials. Today only.

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

eddhorse wrote: »
    Raspberry Pi 2 €59 with all the essentials. Today only.

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

+
    12.50 postage, so 72.50 all in, is this a good price. I see only a 8g card comes WI h it, is this enough, or am. I better in buying just the pi on it's own, SD card elsewere and already have chatger/hdmi

Seems a bit much to me to be honest. Got mine for €35.30 here, €4 delivery from their own dedicated vans:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/b/raspberry-pi/

I'd bought that and a charger, ordered it on a Friday morning, the charger was delivered Friday afternoon, the Pi itself on Monday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Worth noting the Raspberry Pi B+ officially dropped to $25 today. It's not the latest rpi2, but still a decent board. The A+ is only $20 by the way.

• Advertisement

Anyone thinking of using the B+ for retro gaming purposes though should watch the comparison videos of games running on the B+ and the 2 B. And SNES games that used the Super FX chips for example run incredibly slowly on the B+, and run well on the 2 B. Haven't gotten to try most of the MAME games yet, but the (80s/early 90s) ones I've got going on the 2 B so far ran great, but the B+ would probably have no problem with them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah, for the extra 10 quid it's with going for the rpi2.
    But most of my rpi projects recently have called for the much smaller and lower power A+. But none of them are emulation projects.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ok, i might go with that site, where do they ship from? Might go with the pi 2 and charger,
    If someone can pm me a link to were i can just download whatever is needed and I just transfer to ad card and a way I go with Kodiak, ice etc....
    Star Lord wrote: »
    Seems a bit much to me to be honest. Got mine for €35.30 here, €4 delivery from their own dedicated vans:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/b/raspberry-pi/

I'd bought that and a charger, ordered it on a Friday morning, the charger was delivered Friday afternoon, the Pi itself on Monday afternoon.

They're based in Rialto, offer collection on some things, but doesn't seem to be available on the Pi 2 B at least.

What are you looking to run on it?

Ha right, was wondering how u got it same day, dono what I'm looking to run on it, that link on the ibod website all the items that's included on that would keep me happy enough, would be just plugging it in for missus to watch some tv shows etc. I assume it's bit like an android box?
    The pi 2 is the latest / fastest at the moment?

Yeah, Pi 2 (listed as Pi 2 or Pi 2 B) is the latest one.
    For a media centre, something like this would do the job:
    http://lifehacker.com/5929913/build-a-xbmc-media-center-with-a-35-raspberry-pi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

I am looking to do similar. I'd like to use kodi and also run retropie on it. What the best one? I need to buy all the other stuff for it to like the keyboard, charger, cards and case so if someone can recommend the cheapest site(s) to get all these. Thanks

*Edit* Is Mod my Pi the cheapest to pick up everything I need in one go? About 85 for everything...

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I am looking to do similar. I'd like to use kodi and also run retropie on it. What the best one? I need to buy all the other stuff for it to like the keyboard, charger, cards and case so if someone can recommend the cheapest site(s) to get all these. Thanks

Definitely Raspberry Pi 2 for Kodi and Retropie.

Ok thanks I'll check the website out.. So I take it a USB mouse and keyboard is a definite?
    Yea kodi is what I think I will be going for,
    Is that shop you linked to the cheapest or can it be got online for cheaper? For the pi2

• Advertisement

Ok just check that site.. It added vat on the end.. Prob cause they're a trade website so the pi & charger at coming to 57

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

They're based in Rialto, offer collection on some things, but doesn't seem to be available on the Pi 2 B at least.

What are you looking to run on it?

Anything they have on hand, you can order at the sales desk...just take an age for them to pick it from their stores and drop it to the sales desk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Anyone thinking of using the B+ for retro gaming purposes though should watch the comparison videos of games running on the B+ and the 2 B. And SNES games that used the Super FX chips for example run incredibly slowly on the B+, and run well on the 2 B. Haven't gotten to try most of the MAME games yet, but the (80s/early 90s) ones I've got going on the 2 B so far ran great, but the B+ would probably have no problem with them either.

I agree, i originally thought there would be no or very little difference between the B+ vs the Pi2 B (latest Pi)

But after a quick search of youtube a while back this video perfectly shows the differences...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Is this the cheapest price for everything for the pi in one kit? I've no computer display so i need the keyboard etc.
    http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-2-starter-kit

Just need to buy a SNES USB also. Any ideas where I can grab one cheap?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Access wrote: »
    I agree, i originally thought there would be no or very little difference between the B+ vs the Pi2 B (latest Pi)

But after a quick search of youtube a while back this video perfectly shows the differences...

The B+ had next to no performance change from the regular B, biggest difference was changing to MicroSD + and better USB management.

I've both Pi's............well, just the Pi 2 now since the other one decided to die.............and can say there's easily a massive jump in performance.

PS1 games that were iffy or unplayable now run solidly. Runs any game I've thrown at it at full speed with no slowdown, Road Rash runs butter smooth.

N64 isn't great but better emulation down the line should help, at the moment Mario Kart is the most popular playable game on it. The emulators are pretty messy at the moment for it.

SuperFX runs no problem now, before they was a stuttering mess.

Mame will cover a few games but it's struggled with more games I've thrown at it than not. Will handle 80's / early 90's like Snow Bros / Street Fighter stuff well while some games like Sunset Riders will make it splutter, Mortal Kombat will is a no-go. Haven't delved much into it yet out of all the other emulators so can't say much more about that.

Neo Geo is perfect, no problems while I was having stuttering issues before because of changing refresh rate depending on output (had the PI B set up to be used on both HDMI + composite)

Running EmulationStation with Kodi added to the list. I put it up in the spare room (The GF's woman cave) where she can boot it up and watch whatever through Kodi and I just play whatever tickles me fancy when I use it. Played a full episode in Quake one Saturday, felt wrong playing it with the Xbox controller but was playable.

Had it set up like that since February when it was released and haven't had one problem with it, unlike the regular Pi which brought some interesting problems every now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Running EmulationStation with Kodi added to the list. I put it up in the spare room (The GF's woman cave) where she can boot it up and watch whatever through Kodi and I just play whatever tickles me fancy when I use it. Played a full episode in Quake one Saturday, felt wrong playing it with the Xbox controller but was playable.

So you're booting to emulationstation on the pi 2, but are you saying that in emulationstation you can choose to select/run kodi like you would select nes or snes etc. on the main menu? If so pretty cool, havent setup my pi 2 with anything other then kodi at the moment... must get on this, this weekend.

• Advertisement

Access wrote: »
    So you're booting to emulationstation on the pi 2, but are you saying that in emulationstation you can choose to select/run kodi like you would select nes or snes etc. on the main menu? If so pretty cool, havent setup my pi 2 with anything other then kodi at the moment... must get on this, this weekend.

Yea, boots to ES and Kodi is the first item on the list.

Select it and that boots it up. The Xbox controller stops working as it sees it but refuses to acknowledge buttons (Gamestop controller, sooooo many problems setting this fúcker up in general on a Pi)

Workaround is a USB keyboard that's always plugged in that the GF uses whereas I just use Yatse.

WiFi had to be externally set up in a script as Kodi wouldn't "see" a wifi dongle. Basically it connects to the network before it loads Kodi.

When you quit Kodi it should then exit back to ES though 1 out of every 5 times or so it'll fail and you're looking at a wall of text, a known bug when I did it at the time.

Ive got OSMC now instead of Kodi.
    Might be worth a try.
    Didnt have the wireless issue you have on Kodi either.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Ive got OSMC now instead of Kodi.
    Might be worth a try.
    Didnt have the wireless issue you have on Kodi either.

Everything is all working perfectly fine now so not gonna touch anything if ain't broke in case something screws up again :pac:

Only small problem is that the Xbox controller's LED flashes if using xpad, if I use xboxdrv I can fix that but then both the controller AND keyboard cease to function completely (have to remote connect to type functions) leaving it in a worse off state. It's a problem moreso with having a different controller to the genuine one.

So....
    whos the expert on python programming?
    I have an idea thats simple enough but need some direction !

Thanks

So....
    whos the expert on python programming?
    I have an idea thats simple enough but need some direction !

Thanks

I know a guy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Thought I'd reboot an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I finally bought one of these yesterday after putting it off for a rather long time.

I was thinking about picking up a wired 360 controller for it, but I don't like the d-pad. Would one of the cheapo generic USB SNES controllers work well with it?

Thought I'd reboot an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I finally bought one of these yesterday after putting it off for a rather long time.

I was thinking about picking up a wired 360 controller for it, but I don't like the d-pad. Would one of the cheapo generic USB SNES controllers work well with it?

Depends on the build you use, RetroPie has generic HID drivers which these usually use.

You may need to use a keyboard or a 360 pad to get to the reconfig screen in the first place though, switch controllers then reconfigure.

Never managed to get mine running properly, must give it another go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Never managed to get mine running properly, must give it another go!

Ha, I'll probably be in the same boat. I'm going to set OpenElec up on a separate MicroSD card too though, so at least I'll get some use out of it in the meantime!

Advertisement