Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That’s a bit silly OP because more people ignoring restrictions will mean they last longer and potentially get tighter, at least until enough people are vaccinated. If you want restrictions to end you should be doing everything you can to bring case numbers down, ignoring restrictions does the opposite. This is simple enough stuff surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The more I think about those pop up vaccination centres the angrier I get.
    Why are they only for asymptomatic people who are not close contacts?
    Why would anyone who is feeling perfectly well go and get tested for Covid anyway?
    I mean do they really want to be told to self isolate for 14 days and have all their close contacts restrict their movements and get 2 tests?
    Do they want to falsely inflate case numbers and have us all locked down for longer?

I really hope no one turns up at these centres.

Stay at home. Hold firm. Only leave your house for essential journeys and exercise within 5k. Do not see your loved ones. Do not congregate in groups.

But also randomly turn up for testing at five locations within a 5k radius of a million people with no pre booked appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod - Thread merged

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

ypres5 wrote: »
    No because I provided quotes so I consider my accusations very valid

You provided quotes that completely disprove what you were trying to accuse me of. Bizarre.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The problem this year is, Martin. Interestingly though his own party members are turning on him. Reading earlier in the Times, Aerlingus has moved 4 of its planes to Manchester and will be flying from there to the states. Irish staff have been asked to relocate . I wonder how much economic damage they are willing to allow the country sustain before they consider the wider picture. I'm genuinely concerned for the future of this country. Aerlingus moving is just one example and it should set off alarm bells.

My biggest concern is the lack of discussion focused on the costs involved.

The illusion is every country is in the same situation as Ireland

Make no mistake, Ireland is an outlier from an economic, health & educational point of view.

Most EU countries finished lockdown in May 2020.

Posters here are continue to defend the indefensible

Like an anti vaccer uses belief not science to justify their reasons, we are using belief not science to justify one of the globes longest lockdowns.

A belief I must add, is being used by many here to justify the lockdown

People moving about spread covid, construction is open, the EU citizens in other countries follow rules.

I also believe when the lockdown related destruction of our economy and society is revealed, the Irish people themselves will be blamed for the mess

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    We're in level 5, it looks like level 5 will continue for the foreseeable future/longterm.

Personally i'm fed up with this, im ignoring the restrictions and will decide what is safe for me and my family, what is your opinion?

My opinion is that we won't be in level five longterm and people ignoring restrictions are part of the problem.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    My opinion is that we won't be in level five longterm and people ignoring restrictions are part of the problem.

Ok.

So is that theory that those people will begin to adhere to restrictions if we persist with them?

Restrictions of course are a blunt tool to lower case numbers and not be used long term

Ireland didn’t get that memo in March 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Nothing bothers me more than the 5km rule. Don't give me the stuff about it being easy to get around - I know that - but it's the hassle of actually having to bullsh1t thru a Garda checkpoint just to go for a walk on the beach, shouldn't have to do it.

What do people think? Will we go county wide? I really hope so.

I’m with you. Ridiculous rule.

And being a fan of Clare, getting from Limerick through Ennis is a nightmare... checkpoint wise.

My wife hates the thought of the ‘Garda hassle’ but I’m officially done with the 5km bulilsh1t... I’ve a small camper, and we will be bothering no one (just us, no kids) so I fail to see how I’m either at risk, or putting others in harms way.

My brothers 2 kids are mad for some fresh air, a picnic, a scenic drive. Anything!

It’s been 12 months. We know to keep our distance and wash our hands!!! What difference does it make if that’s in a crowded local supermarket or a remote location outdoors 200km away.

I’ll tell you... None!

We’re safer outdoors.

I would've thought that pop up vaccination centres would get broad support...

Of course, a couple more protests could prolong that a bit further and rocket the numbers again, but hopefully not.

Eh? Any evidence that any of the previous protests made numbers rocket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I'm not sick of them, cos I can see why they're in place. With vaccines appearing, I can see a slow easing of things back to normal over the next 4-6 months. People just need to stick with it a little longer, I'd say. It's frustrating, but i'd say each month from here on it, a restriction will be eased or removed, until we're back to normal (by July, I predict all the major stuff will be gone, with just masks/sanitisers etc. for close personal services (hairdressers/etc) and easy stuff like avoiding sitting at the bar in pubs).

Of course, a couple more protests could prolong that a bit further and rocket the numbers again, but hopefully not.

Did protests "rocket" the numbers before? No, they didn't.

A new approach is needed as we enter Summer hours, get outside. Avoid indoor spaces that are not your own as much as you can.

To help with this, county wide travel at a minimum should be allowed along with sports, outdoor dining, click and collect retail.

If the Government don't and it's the same thing again going into May, they fit the definition of insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

People state "schools are not safe" because of a virus with a 0.001% CFR in the age group, but have sent their kids to school during flu season every preceding year without a blink.

Are you comparing flu to covid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Typo there. They are pop up testing centres

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

I think that at this stage no matter what the government or HSE do, there will be a certain cohort that will object, protest, express real or feigned anger, just because it's what they've gotten used to doing.

No critical thinking whatsoever.

I realised today that there's a written record of every social interaction I've had with all groups of friends in the last year.

How do you work that out? Are you talking about WhatsApp?
    Elon Musk is blocking out the stars and Bill Gates is blocking out the sun

...what?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

He means pop up test centres. We are a long way from pop up vaccination centres in this country...

Ok.

So is that theory that those people will begin to adhere to restrictions if we persist with them?

It doesn't require everyone to adhere to them. This has been explained on this thread numerous times now. I'm surprised you missed it. Obviously, the more people follow the restrictions, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It was really embarrassing watching CNN's report earlier this morning on the vaccine response on both sides of the Irish border. There was a major difference between the people who were interviewed, depending on which side of the border you were on. Hope and excitement on the northern side, while on the southern side there was despondency, weariness, and abject disappointment. The failures of the Irish government were obvious on the CNN segment for all in the world to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Kivaro wrote: »
    It was really embarrassing watching CNN's report earlier this morning on the vaccine response on both sides of the Irish border. There was a major difference between the people who were interviewed, depending on which side of the border you were on. Hope and excitement on the northern side, while on the southern side there was despondency, weariness, and abject disappointment. The failures of the Irish government were obvious on the CNN segment for all in the world to see.

What more do you thing the Irish government could have done so far regarding the vaccines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 DTownD

Are you comparing flu to covid ?

The risk to under 18s is the same - very very very low.

The issue is passing it on to elderly, who are now being vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Why?

The vulnerable are vaccinated, the HCWs are vaccinated

Case numbers are fast becoming irrelevant and these clowns are opening more places to tell people who aren’t sick that they are sick

310 in hospital last night, a number of which are there for containment not treatment

This thing is finished

We just need to convince NPHET

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Why?

Case numbers are fast becoming irrelevant and these clowns are opening more places to tell people who aren’t sick that they are sick

310 in hospital last night, a number of which are there for containment not treatment

This thing is finished

If hopsital numbers keep steady or decline and once we have all those 65+ and vulnerable having got their first shot we must open up society.

Why are they only for asymptomatic people who are not close contacts?
    Why would anyone who is feeling perfectly well go and get tested for Covid anyway?
    I mean do they really want to be told to self isolate for 14 days and have all their close contacts restrict their movements and get 2 tests?
    Do they want to falsely inflate case numbers and have us all locked down for longer?

I really hope no one turns up at these centres.

Some people actually consider other people.

If you were someone who needs to go to work most days, but have to need to visit a vulnerable relative, would getting tested prior to the visit be an outrageous thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Allinall wrote: »
    I think that at this stage no matter what the government or HSE do, there will be a certain cohort that will object, protest, express real or feigned anger, just because it's what they've gotten used to doing.

No critical thinking whatsoever.

On Both sides of the debate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If hopsital numbers keep steady or decline and once we have all those 65+ and vulnerable having got their first shot we must open up society.

Didn't hospitalisations go up last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This thing is finished

Well, that's good enough for me. Open the pubs!

Why?

This thing is finished

Not yet Fintan, nearly there. A bit of a premature relaxation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

How do you work that out? Are you talking about WhatsApp?
    Yeah
    https://screenrant.com/whatsapp-privacy-policy-deadline-date-data-changes-explained/
    ...what?!
    https://spacenews.com/spacex-marks-anniversary-of-first-launch-with-starlink-mission/

https://www.euronews.com/living/2021/03/23/can-a-huge-balloon-dropping-chalk-from-the-sky-help-slow-climate-change

Personally I think covid was an extremely small inconvenience compared with what's likely going to happen the global weather patterns in the summer as a consequence of this.

There is speculation that the tidal shift and resultant polar ice cap damage they cause will start another pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

DTownD wrote: »
    The risk to under 18s is the same - very very very low.

The issue is passing it on to elderly, who are now being vaccinated.

Statistically flu is more of a risk to children than covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Why?

This thing is finished

Why was the hospital figure ignored by Leo in his chat with his party?

This is just bizarre - we have been seeing numbers around 500-600 cases per day for weeks.

According to the information he was provided, as in 35 hospitalised per 1,000 we should have had 500 hospitalised this past month. Perhaps it is around that number - I don’t have the figure, but number in hospital is steadily dropping so then is the rate of discharges ignored? Presumably there’s a factor of HAI built in there too?

Pop up test centres are not necessarily a bad thing, although I suspect there will be a lot of worried parents of school-going children and school staff who naturally distrust the advice that schools are safe (not saying they shouldn’t be operating, but understandably, with different rules for testing referrals, and positives rate rising faster in those age groups, who can blame them for some skepticism).

The problem with pop-up test centres is that we are still stuck on case numbers defining response to restrictions - no wonder it’s expected to result in overly-cautious relaxations.

35 in 1,000 - thank you NPHET, any chance we could see your workings on that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement