Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part X *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Yep, here you go

Labelled them all fascists as you can see.

But even if I had, which I didn’t, I did not comment on the political positions of German protesters as claimed, and which I haven’t looked into enough to form a view on motivations

Thanks - thats a very fair statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Revolutionaries not fascists if you reread.

And was more an infantile insult than slur I suppose, which also kick started the tedious back and forth with the master race comment

You implied the protesters in were fascists it's fairly black and white. And if you're going to accuse anyone else of being infantile, you know what they say about glass houses...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Klonker wrote: »
    Was posted in the last thread but Leo said even with elderly and vulnerable vaccinated we'd have 35 people needing hospitalisation for every 1000 cases which would be unsustainable. So that's 3.5% of cases.

First of all how bad is our health service that 35 hospitalisations a day is unsustainable? Where did he pull this figure from? How old is elderly in his statement and what constitutes vulnerable? Is he basing on having the over 65, very high risk and high risk vaccine groupings vaccinated? Whatever metric he is using is lies anyway.

Impressive scientific conclusions there Klonker

"Whatever metric he is using is lies anyway" :pac:

FYI, your 35 hospitalisations/day only adds up if there's 1,000 cases/day.

If we go back to the kind of case numbers we had just a few weeks ago you'd quickly be looking at 6000/7000/8000 cases per day. In the region of 210 - 280 hospitalisations per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Was posted in the last thread but Leo said even with elderly and vulnerable vaccinated we'd have 35 people needing hospitalisation for every 1000 cases which would be unsustainable. So that's 3.5% of cases.

First of all how bad is our health service that 35 hospitalisations a day is unsustainable? Where did he pull this figure from? How old is elderly in his statement and what constitutes vulnerable? Is he basing on having the over 65, very high risk and high risk vaccine groupings vaccinated? Whatever metric he is using is lies anyway.

Less than 5% of total cases in last 14 days were hospitalised. When you exclude cases and hospitalisations in over 65, 2.7% of cases were hospitalised. So thats just the over 65s took out through vaccination but not the vulnerable. It's very hard to measure the effect vaccination of under 65s at very high or high risk would be as I don't think the cases are broken down this way but I think it's fair to assume a good chunk of under 65s hospitalised would be classified in one of these categories.

Before someone says it, I know people vaccinated can still end up in hospital but it should be as a very low percentage of cases.

I hope someone questions him on where he pulled that figure from but I doubt it.

Leo is a fame seeking dimwit who cant calculate his socks budget. There's sadly not much more to say about him.

ypres5 wrote: »
    Christ.

You will notice I referenced revolutionaries not fascists. And then the petty slur.

You posted this in response to articles about protesters in germany. If you're going to backtrack at least try and be subtle about it again still waiting on that slur

No, I posted
    Raind wrote:

Germans are renowned for obeying rules and overthrowing the prevailing order. It’s hard to believe when you come to a pedestrian crossing in Munich at 2am with no car moving in the vicinity, that the people standing there who tut as you cross on red are the same as those who produced Martin Luther, Karl Marx and many more

Which somehow led to you talking about the master race prompting me to clarify I was referencing revolutionaries, you know, Luther, Marx, and NOT facists, lest you misrepresent what I said.

I think this should be left there

Edit. I think I understand the misunderstanding now. You believed I was referring to the protesters in your links, when in fact I was referring to your German master race comment and was clarifying that it was revolution in general I was referencing in my prior post

• Advertisement

ypres5 wrote: »
    You implied the protesters in were fascists it's fairly black and white. And if you're going to accuse anyone else of being infantile, you know what they say about glass houses...

Everyone is capable of being infantile when the occasion prompts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Graham wrote: »
    Impressive scientific conclusions there Klonker

"Whatever metric he is using is lies anyway" :pac:

FYI, your 35 hospitalisations/day only adds up if there's 1,000 cases/day.

If we go back to the kind of case numbers we had just a few weeks ago you'd quickly be looking at 6000/7000/8000 cases per day. In the region of 210 - 280 hospitalisations per day.

Leo is the one who said at 1000 cases a day which 35 are hospitalised is unsustainable. He didn't say for every 1000 cases 35 are hospitalalised or whatever way you are trying to hint at that I misunderstood what he said. I didn't. If you want to say if we 5000 cases a day it would be unsustainable fair enough, but that's not what Leo said and that's what I'm commenting on.

Of course what he said is lies. I said I don't know where he got it from, he may believe its correct but it's still lies. If at the moment less than 2.7% of under 65s are hospitalised how would it jump to 3.5% when the vulnerable are vaccinated too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Shelga wrote:
    Micheal is a weak, meek and indecisive leader, and we are all paying for it.
    The man was Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment from 2004-2008, when the sh*t hit the fan in this country the last time. And somehow he is now our Taoiseach?? It beggars belief.

Fianna Fail could have had a proper clear out of their front bench at that time, thought about not just the next 2 years but the next 20, and how to appeal to people like me- 33 years old. But no. Poor Micheal wants to be Taoiseach, so he gets to be, despite having tepid support at best and not a notion of a plan as to how to get us out of this complete mess. And too timid to tell the EU that they have f**ked up royally with the vaccine rollout.

I was forced to emigrate to England the last time he and his dire party were in power, and it's like nothing has changed in the last 15 years.

I don't know what this rant is meant to achieve, I am just absolutely at the end of my tether and wish we had a real leader at this crucial moment in our country's history.

That also omits the fact he was minister for health for the previous 4 years, at the height of the Celtic Tiger. His sudden recent concern for ICU numbers and the wellbeing of frontline healthcare workers is totally understandable given the massive investment into the health services that Fianna Fail made during that time the country was flush with -- oh, wait. No, he's just an opportunistic, hypocritical liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

We're in level 5, it looks like level 5 will continue for the foreseeable future/longterm.

Personally i'm fed up with this, im ignoring the restrictions and will decide what is safe for me and my family, what is your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Leo is the one who said at 1000 cases a day which 35 are hospitalised is unsustainable. He didn't say for every 1000 cases 35 are hospitalalised or whatever way you are trying to hint at that I misunderstood what he said. I didn't. If you want to say if we 5000 cases a day it would be unsustainable fair enough, but that's not what Leo said and that's what I'm commenting on.

Of course what he said is lies. I said I don't know where he got it from, he may believe its correct but it's still lies. If at the moment less than 2.7% of under 65s are hospitalised how would it jump to 3.5% when the vulnerable are vaccinated too?

Isn’t the average stay something like 10 days. That’d be 350 in hospital with Covid at 100 per day or less than 3% of hospital bed capacity. Surely with vaccinated Health Care workers this is not an issue at all?

• Advertisement

I welcome an extension to Level 5 restrictions like I do a root canal. They have served their purpose, now the vaccines are lowering hospital numbers & ICU admissions. Elderly and vulnerable receiving immunity, job is nearly done for the critical cohorts. After that, 500-1,000 cases daily have a negligible impact on the rest of the population, Level 3 & under should be considered without delay. People are already pissed off with the blunt lockdown tool, there is no point stirring the pot further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The more I think about those pop up testing centres the angrier I get.
    Why are they only for asymptomatic people who are not close contacts?
    Why would anyone who is feeling perfectly well go and get tested for Covid anyway?
    I mean do they really want to be told to self isolate for 14 days and have all their close contacts restrict their movements and get 2 tests?
    Do they want to falsely inflate case numbers and have us all locked down for longer?

I really hope no one turns up at these centres.

If at the moment less than 2.7% of under 65s are hospitalised how would it jump to 3.5% when the vulnerable are vaccinated too?

It’s irrelevant anyway, since a lot of the people in hospital are there for purposes of isolation rather than because they require treatment in a hospital. The numbers in hospital can be whatever the government want them to be. Similarly with case numbers. If you happen to be in need of some cases, you can go and mine the “asymptomatic” cases, or false positives, by, for example, setting up testing centres for healthy people.

The only cases that matter are deaths. And not deaths from January and February. Deaths from today. This week. Deaths that reflect our actual position rather than the bureaucratic delays in our reporting systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Personally not saying lift everything and go back to way it was just yet but it's the justification or lack of for some of them which would drive you mad and look to not follow them.

5km rule is overkill. Ridiculous and needs to be got rid of. Even county wide would allow sanity. No scientific basis offered for the 5k rule that I have seen.

Also can someone explain how its safe for kids to sit in classroom with their peers in school but not allowed to do sports training outside in pods 🀔

Why are Dunnes allowed click and collect but my local bookshop is not.

Why is it safe to carry out construction on social housing but not on private housing.

It's this kind of nonsense that would drive you mad.

I'm still curious why we dropped the per county restrictions and now its just on off level 5 depending on hospital capacity that they have done nothing to address in over a year?
    Plus nice to see we gave DOB lots of $$$ last May/June and doing the same again.

What an absolutely incompetent and disgrace of a government, with absolutely 0 plan to exit this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I have worked throughout , salary has increased. We received a bonus twice last year for working during the crisis and expect another one this year but Christ life has just become a drudge. From home to work ,work to home . Absolutely nothing to do other than the weekly shopping. I have managed to keep my mental health in check. I have however watched my wife go through a hell of a lot in the last year. Unable to see her parents for months whom she is very close too. The constant fear mongering on RTE, she watched the news religiously until I managed to convince her to watch other news channels. The misery on RTE is unf**king believable. Other than Covid I think the worst thing to happen to this country is to have Martin as the leader during this. He is so far out of his depth even the RNLI couldn't rescue him.
    Anyhoo rant over , brighter days ahead just not sure when.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

or

"He said that even with vaccinating all of the elderly and vulnerable there would be 35 hospitalisations for every 1,000 positive cases which would not be sustainable."

Source:independent.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We are in a period of diminishing returns. Inside the home is clearly the main culprit for new cases at this time.

I'd much rather see a structured reopening of public places with strict mask wearing and social distancing, giving people something to do, rather than seeing a greater mass disobedience of gatherings at home.

Obviously the vaccination level needs to filter down and in the meantime we will be restricted in some fashion, but the Government have to start approaching things in a more practical fashion. As I heard someone put it earlier, they are losing the dressing room now.

I'm not sick of them, cos I can see why they're in place. With vaccines appearing, I can see a slow easing of things back to normal over the next 4-6 months. People just need to stick with it a little longer, I'd say. It's frustrating, but i'd say each month from here on it, a restriction will be eased or removed, until we're back to normal (by July, I predict all the major stuff will be gone, with just masks/sanitisers etc. for close personal services (hairdressers/etc) and easy stuff like avoiding sitting at the bar in pubs).

Of course, a couple more protests could prolong that a bit further and rocket the numbers again, but hopefully not.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    We are in a period of diminishing returns. Inside the home is clearly the main culprit for new cases at this time.

I'd much rather see a structured reopening of public places with strict mask wearing and social distancing, giving people something to do, rather than seeing a greater mass disobedience of gatherings at home.

Obviously the vaccination level needs to filter down and in the meantime we will be restricted in some fashion, but the Government have to start approaching things in a more practical fashion. As I heard someone put it earlier, they are losing the dressing room now.
    I agree, we need a plan, but a plan seems beyond these incompetent idiots in power.
    I cant believe lockdown is actually worse now that it was last year when we had county lockdowns.

• Advertisement

Why is it safe to carry out construction on social housing but not on private housing.

This is the biggest inequality of them all, in my opinion. How it hasn't been made into a much bigger story, i do not know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

The restrictions are a joke especially in the Dublin area. Bus and rail staff no longer enforce mask wearing. Gardaí are only checking vehicle drivers but are not checking if bus or rail passengers are outside 5km. People can easily visit eachother without being stopped or fined.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    I agree, we need a plan, but a plan seems beyond these incompetent idiots in power.
    I cant believe lockdown is actually worse now that it was last year when we had county lockdowns.

The problem this year is, Martin. Interestingly though his own party members are turning on him. Reading earlier in the Times, Aerlingus has moved 4 of its planes to Manchester and will be flying from there to the states. Irish staff have been asked to relocate . I wonder how much economic damage they are willing to allow the country sustain before they consider the wider picture. I'm genuinely concerned for the future of this country. Aerlingus moving is just one example and it should set off alarm bells.

I'm not sick of them, cos I can see why they're in place. With vaccines appearing, I can see a slow easing of things back to normal over the next 4-6 months. People just need to stick with it a little longer, I'd say. It's frustrating, but i'd say each month from here on it, a restriction will be eased or removed, until we're back to normal (by July, I predict all the major stuff will be gone, with just masks/sanitisers etc. for close personal services (hairdressers/etc) and easy stuff like avoiding sitting at the bar in pubs).

Of course, a couple more protests could prolong that a bit further and rocket the numbers again, but hopefully not.

Protests of a few hundred people out in the open air? Meanwhile 5 schools have reported outbreaks. Some have closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

No, personally I can't get enough of solitary confinement and house arrest.

I think I might actually be completely demented now and unfit to be around other people. I was really weird and clunky the other day when I met a colleague outside the office and I wished I had just ignored them because I couldn't behave normally or figure out how to appropriately interact. They probably didn't even notice but it took my confidence down about twelve notches.

I realised today that there's a written record of every social interaction I've had with all groups of friends in the last year. That's not healthy, and also Facebook owns WhatsApp now so they're properly mining them for data.

I saw a tweet yesterday

"All those dystopian novels, and not one predicted a world in which cities are deserted at night, populated only by cyclists carrying around food in backpacks."

And a reply

"All self-employed, with no workers rights, but instantly recognisable in their branded company uniforms."

Elon Musk is blocking out the stars and Bill Gates is blocking out the sun and we have to stay at home indefinitely and not meet any friends and family until an unspecified period of time because a bunch of wealthy people who hardly anyone respects or trusts dictate to us what to do and a load of unelected civil servants lay down behaviours that we're mandated to follow.

There are a lot of people who, by coincidence or because of this, died during the last year. What a tragically sad final year it would have been. But it just feels like even with the glimmer of light the vaccines tease us with, things generally are going to get worse no matter what happens from here on out. The whole system we tried to live by before is broken, it's clearly unfit for purpose in a way that is now untenable.

I actually pretty much don't give a shlt though, I think I've become completely ambivalent to everything that happens in wider society that doesn't impact me directly except for a very small few causes. It would take something absolutely devastating happening to somebody I'm very close to for me to actually muster up the strength to even be upset or annoyed, because my energy is just competely spent from the absolute pile of **** existence has been for everyone I love for the last 12 months.

Especially the children i know, they've all been dealt an absolutely abysmal hand. Some seem like they're dealing with everything fine, but you just don't know how badly absolutely trauma like this is going to affect them.

So yeah opening up will be great but in the scheme of things we're still competely fucked.

The problem this year is, Martin. Interestingly though his own party members are turning on him. Reading earlier in the Times, Aerlingus has moved 4 of its planes to Manchester and will be flying from there to the states. Irish staff have been asked to relocate . I wonder how much economic damage they are willing to allow the country sustain before they consider the wider picture. I'm genuinely concerned for the future of this country. Aerlingus moving is just one example and it should set off alarm bells.
    The government and media(which is disgraceful) are deliberately avoiding information or discussion on both the sustainability of the current situation economically and that we will have several years of austerity after this to pay for all the supports.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    The government and media(which is disgraceful) are deliberately avoiding information or discussion on both the sustainability of the current situation economically and that we will have several years of austerity after this to pay for all the supports.

Several years? I like your optimism. I heard on the radio last weekend, people are still in arrears with their mortgages from the last crash. What is coming is a different ball game. We went into this as a healthy economy but one of the most indebted in the world per capita. I believe just behind Japan. This crisis will add circa 50 billion to the national debt. At present interest rates are negative that won't last and that's when the fun starts.

Several years? I like your optimism. I heard on the radio last weekend, people are still in arrears with their mortgages from the last crash. What is coming is a different ball game. We went into this as a healthy economy but one of the most indebted in the world per capita. I believe just behind Japan. This crisis will add circa 50 billion to the national debt. At present interest rates are negative that won't last and that's when the fun starts.
    dont get me wrong, i mean several years until the economy becomes stable, of course this is lumped on top of the fortune the country already owes.
    We have impending inflation due to brexit, the unsustainable negative interest rates from the ECB, along with upcoming tax increases all of which will have a huge economic impact and as is normal in this country we like to destroy income power of individuals rather than tax purchases, the services sector will suffer long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I’ve been ignoring most of them but am sick of the ones which impact me like the closure of the pubs and not being able to buy a pair of shoes without trying them on first. The reason I’ve been ignoring most of them is because I’ve had covid before and I have had a vaccine but that does not seem to grant me any more freedom in the eyes of the terrible government that are in place at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Nothing bothers me more than the 5km rule. Don't give me the stuff about it being easy to get around - I know that - but it's the hassle of actually having to bullsh1t thru a Garda checkpoint just to go for a walk on the beach, shouldn't have to do it.

What do people think? Will we go county wide? I really hope so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement