Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stop bullying the United Kingdom?

Options

Comments

timthumbni wrote: »
    Such a pretty turn of phrase you have there. I think you will find that others think it’s the conservatives who need the dup but you worry all you want pal. Though they say worry isn’t good for the digestion.

I believe the correct advice here Tim, is don’t feed the Kermit

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Solution to border is for Ireland to join forces with UK and leave the EU. We should then use a version of the pound like Scotland and NI do. Ireland, UK, USA, China v EU boom !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

OldRio wrote: »
    Please don't refer to me as 'mate'

So you can refer to me as a dinosaur but I can’t call you mate. Seems a tad unfair old bean.

I normally like frogs so a tad disappointing this thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Is there much need for rear view mirrors in NI?

Cos the unionists are constantly looking to the past, they can never seem to look to the future.

• Advertisement

Right, forgetting history and all that, what would you like to see happening in the long term for NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭briany

Help! My boss is bullying me into delivering a cogent set of strategy proposals for our business by a certain date! It's so unfair because devising these strategies is my job and I'd agreed to the deadlines!

Right, forgetting history and all that, what would you like to see happening in the long term for NI?

I would prefer to see self government return but god knows when or if that will happen. If it doesn’t then the UK should restore direct rule and make the decisions that matter.

The fact that the morons at stormont are still getting paid is something I would also like to see stopped.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Won't direct rule just mean abortions and gay marriage? Can't see that going down too well in certain quarters

I would prefer to see self government return but god knows when or if that will happen. If it doesn’t then the UK should restore direct rule and make the decisions that matter.

The fact that the morons at stormont are still getting paid is something I would also like to see stopped.

And if a decision was made to bring NI in line with the laws that govern the rest of the UK?

• Advertisement

And if a decision was made to bring NI in line with the laws that govern the rest of the UK?

Are you referring to gay marriage/abortion??. I would very much support any decision that allows for equal marriage and the right to abortions (in agreed circumstances and within time guidelines etc).

Are you referring to gay marriage/abortion??. I would very much support any decision that allows for equal marriage and the right to abortions (in agreed circumstances and within time guidelines etc).

So something that SF are pushing for, but DUP are firmly against?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Trasna1 wrote: »
    It's in pounds so Ireland assumes the currency risk.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Is it really bullying to point out to your slightly deluded ex who has a major superiority complex and poor grasp of maths, that they’re being even more dangerously deluded than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dude_abided

Quite a lot of people here would be the first fùck off to the UK if another recession hit..

Just like like the last time.

And the time before that...

So something that SF are pushing for, but DUP are firmly against?

Correct..if only SF weren’t apologists for the child and anyone else murdering ira then I might even vote for them myself. But they are so that’s that........

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Is it really bullying to point out to your slightly deluded ex who has a major superiority complex and poor grasp of maths, that they’re being even more dangerously deluded than usual?

As opposed to that possessive ex boyfriend who vows to make his ex’s life a misery no matter where she goes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Peregrinus wrote: »
    We are not more British than Finchley, I think I can safely say. I don't know where you got that idea from. Have you ever been to Finchley? :)

I was born in Finchley. I lived there 30 years. 10 years ago I moved to Ireland.

I would never go back to living in Finchley or anywhere else in UK because it is a society where people don't care about each other. By voting for Brexit the British have shown they don't care about anyone except themselves. In all the arguments prior to the vote did you ever hear Ireland mentioned at all?

The Turkey's have voted for Christmas and I am so grateful I live in this country and not the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Solution to border is for Ireland to join forces with UK and leave the EU. We should then use a version of the pound like Scotland and NI do. Ireland, UK, USA, China v EU  boom !

You never should have left the Union. A disaster for Ireland and a referendum should be called on rejoining.

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    We are not more British than Finchley, I think I can safely say. I don't know where you got that idea from. Have you ever been to Finchley? :)

I was born in Finchley. I lived there 30 years. 10 years ago I moved to Ireland.

I would never go back to living in Finchley or anywhere else in UK because it is a society where people don't care about each other. By voting for Brexit the British have shown they don't care about anyone except themselves. In all the arguments prior to the vote did you ever hear Ireland mentioned at all?

The Turkey's have voted for Christmas and I am so grateful I live in this country and not the UK.

Jaysus. Ok. So the uk people dont care about each other but those within the eu do. Ffs.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Taytoland wrote: »
    You never should have left the Union. A disaster for Ireland and a referendum should be called on rejoining.

I totally agree that we should have a referendum on it... It would be ****ing hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Anne1982h

Skedaddle wrote: »
    It's fairly inevitable that they'll blame everyone else for the fact that they've got to deal with reality.

They've just potentially destroyed the NI peace process and could cause tens of billions of damage to the Irish economy, yet we're bullying them?

There's an answer to a comment like that : grow the **** up and stop whining! The world doesn't owe you a living!

This!! I live on the border and they showed a complete and utter disregard for all communities both sides of the border when voting Brexit. Now it’s a huge thorn in their side but we have to stay firm on this because too much is at stake for peace in the north. What sort of idiots blindly vote through Brexit without even contemplating how to deal with the border. We need to stay strong and insist they come up with a proper solution. If they see that as bullying then fine. We still need a solution.

Anne1982h wrote: »
    Skedaddle wrote: »
    It's fairly inevitable that they'll blame everyone else for the fact that they've got to deal with reality.

They've just potentially destroyed the NI peace process and could cause tens of billions of damage to the Irish economy, yet we're bullying them?

There's an answer to a comment like that : grow the **** up and stop whining! The world doesn't owe you a living!

This!! I live on the border and they showed a complete and utter disregard for all communities both sides of the border when voting Brexit. Now it’s a huge thorn in their side but we have to stay firm on this because too much is at stake for peace in the north. What sort of idiots blindly vote through Brexit without even contemplating how to deal with the border. We need to stay strong and insist they come up with a proper solution. If they see that as bullying then fine. We still need a solution.

Stop the hysterics please. It will be up to the states themselves to protect/ police their own borders. Both the uk and the Irish say they don’t want a hard border. It should be easy from there. This isn’t world war 3. Too many bedwetters about today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

800 years.Fcuk them

AnneFrank wrote: »
    800 years.Fcuk them

I laughed at that. Cheers...

I think the whole thing points to a very fundamental flaw in the structure of the UK itself: it never evolved into a federation of any type. It's 'England and some other minor countries we acquired along the way.'

As a result you've got the peripheral union members being dragged off a cliff by England.

It should have had major constitutional reform centuries ago, but it didn't, and the result has always been strains, confused identities and a large degree of dysfunction.

I always feel it's a modern, progressive country (countries) firmly bolted to a legacy mess of nearly medievalism that includes a formalised class system (in the 21st century), the Lords (including Bishops of the Church of England) in the legislature, English notions of superiority over the rest of the UK, and so on.

When you get some issue like this, the cracks all show up.

If the UK economy does go wallop due to Brexit, it will be interesting to see how the aftermath is handled and whether the union will survive as it is now.

My experience of the English relationship with Northern Ireland is that they think it's a foreign country and somehow has nothing to do with them. I've had 'shock' a few times when I explained that the Troubles largely happened in *the UK* not the Republic of Ireland, as Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

I think the whole thing points to a very fundamental flaw in the structure of the UK itself: it never evolved into a federation of any type. It's 'England and some other minor countries we acquired along the way.'

As a result you've got the peripheral union members being dragged off a cliff by England.

It should have had major constitutional reform centuries ago, but it didn't, and the result has always been strains, confused identities and a large degree of dysfunction.

I always feel it's a modern, progressive country (countries) firmly bolted to a legacy mess of nearly medievalism that includes a formalised class system (in the 21st century), the Lords (including Bishops of the Church of England) in the legislature, English notions of superiority over the rest of the UK, and so on.

When you get some issue like this, the cracks all show up.

If the UK economy does go wallop due to Brexit, it will be interesting to see how the aftermath is handled and whether the union will survive as it is now.

I agree the lords should be abolished. Why should uk economy go wallop after leaving the eu though ? Do economies of a high standard not exist out with the eu?

I agree the lords should be abolished. Why should uk economy go wallop after leaving the eu though ? Do economies of a high standard not exist out with the eu?

Potentially massive disruption to highly integrated supply chains and several years of environmental instability would be two of the major reasons.

I don't think the exit schedule is possible to achieve at all without something very dramatic happening.

You can't really just compare a country that is deeply integrated into a system like the EU and one that isn't. There are so many things that have developed assuming that the integrated structures were permanent.

The open hostility towards even contemplating a proper deal with the EU, which is the world's largest developed economy (or possibly 2nd largest after the UK leaves but it's still huge), no deal with the US and potential economic shocks from a deal with them if it's on bad terms, and the list is endless really.

If they crash out, it's a BIG problem.

To do this without major problems, it should have been prepared for for about 8 years, then activate article 50, then leave in a sane and agreed way.

What we look like we're headed for is storming off in a huge hissy fit doing maximum damage.

The problem I'm seeing is a sort of mix of arrogance, haste and fatalism that could end up causing very serious economic problems.

Leaving the EU is possible, but it's a bit like unscrambling an omelette - you need a team of top experts and a hell fo a lot of patience and dedication to achieve even a partial result. To stretch a metaphor, the UK is going to end up with no omelet and egg all over the place.

Potentially massive disruption to highly integrated supply chains and several years of environmental instability would be two of the major reasons.

I don't think the exit schedule is possible to achieve at all without something very dramatic happening.

You can't really just compare a country that is deeply integrated into a system like the EU and one that isn't. There are so many things that have developed assuming that the integrated structures were permanent.

The open hostility towards even contemplating a proper deal with the EU, which is the world's largest developed economy (or possibly 2nd largest after the UK leaves but it's still huge), no deal with the US and potential economic shocks from a deal with them if it's on bad terms, and the list is endless really.

If they crash out, it's a BIG problem.

To do this without major problems, it should have been prepared for for about 8 years, then activate article 50, then leave in a sane and agreed way.

What we look like we're headed for is storming off in a huge hissy fit doing maximum damage.

The problem I'm seeing is a sort of mix of arrogance, haste and fatalism that could end up causing very serious economic problems.

Leaving the EU is possible, but it's a bit like unscrambling an omelette - you need a team of top experts and a hell fo a lot of patience and dedication to achieve even a partial result. To stretch a metaphor, the UK is going to end up with no omelet and egg all over the place.

Good post actually. I would suggest however that in the end the transition from being in the eu to the outside of it will be a lot easier than the scaremongers would have you believe. It has to be remembered that a bit over 100 years ago Europe had real tangible problems,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yes they do, but Britain's economy prior to joining the single market was in the gutter. They joined the single market to revive their economy. An economy that was previously only strong because imperial interests like India.

As countries England and Scotland are strong economies. Northern Ireland and Wales aren't. The UK's economy currently exists in its current condition because of the single market. If the cost of trade increases for everything and there are delays in transporting goods, therefore increasing costs then there are going to be massive problems.

The UK won't be in a single market and will therefore be negotiating from a much weaker position.

Ask yourself:

1. Who's offered Britain a great trade deal?
    2. If the UK are in such a strong position why are they caving to EU demands?

Advertisement