Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stop bullying the United Kingdom?

Options

Comments

Oh dear.

You're actually defending the class system, privilege and think it's due to it's "diverse" nature?

I'm sorry Aegir but you must be backward to believe in that nonsense.

You're why Brexit happened.

You cannot fix yourselves so you blame the EU.

With that jingoistic attitude, and when the UK economy tanks, Britain will be a nation of cap doffing chimney sweeps with more inequality, more ignorance and a lower quality of life.

Who will they blame for that?

Immigrants? The EU? Scotland?

Another poster who has no idea what they’re talking about. You really need to educate yourself on the upper house of the uk parliament.

Quite literally, anyone can become a member of the House of Lords.

Aegir, can you tell me how crashing out of the EU will benefit the UK? If you can't, can you tell me why a soft Brexit would benefit?

Very simple questions. No tangents please.

Aegir, can you tell me how crashing out of the EU will benefit the UK? If you can't, can you tell me why a soft Brexit would benefit?

Very simple questions. No tangents please.

I don’t know, why are you asking me?

Ireland is a cuck nation afraid to run its own affairs.

I don't wish to sound rude, but you massively overestimate your importance in affairs such as these.

If the EU ignores Ireland's blocking of a bad deal, you'll be right. If it acknowledges our grievances, you'll be wrong.

As for being a cuck nation, that doesn't make any sense. In what way are we afraid to run our own affairs?

Aegir wrote: »
    I don’t know, why are you asking me?

It's the topic of the thread, and you're one of the few here I thought were in favour of it.

• Advertisement

It's the topic of the thread, and you're one of the few here I thought were in favour of it.

Then you’re mistaken.

I’m no fan of the EU itself, but leaving the EU is madness.

I can see why it happened though and despite what a lot of Irish people like to think, it had little to do with empire, jingoism or what ever other tired cliche the usual people come up with, it was a combination of factors and the referendum was the channel used to air them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Then you’re mistaken.

I can see why it happened though and despite what a lot of Irish people like to think, it had little to do with empire, jingoism or what ever other tired cliche the usual people come up with, it was a combination of factors and the referendum was the channel used to air them.

I think I need to hand in my Boards ticket. I never thought I would agree with any of your posts. :D

However, now that Brexit is happening, all of the little Englanders are milking it for all it's worth. Now they feel empowered to bring back the good old times when Britain abused many countries around the world. Trouble is: those days are gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Then you’re mistaken.

Leaving the EU is not madness. The EU hasn't reigned itself in and trying to create a Federal United States of Europe is something which many nation states citizens will just resist and will not want. Europe is NOT the United States, it has different cultures and different histories. It's frankly a mental idea and I am amazed the UK is the first country which has voted to leave. Won't be the last. 

If the EU had given some concessions before the referendum and drifted back in the lane of just being an economic area then I would have voted remain instead of leave but they didn't budge, they never budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A British friend of mine told me today he felt Ireland was bullying the UK (I know!)over Brexit.

We can only do it with the help of our gallant allies of course now the UK is leaving and they despise them.

I do feel we may regret it down the road and that the Irish are somewhat awestruck with the sudden power they seem to have over the old foe, the tables turned etc.

It's a mirage - they'll fight on the beaches etc.

But aside from self interest maybe we should be supporting them? Sometimes I feel we are more British than Finchley ballsbridge.

They are our friends.

Nope, sure they don't even understand English!
    The amount of times I have said "howaya" over in England and had to change it to "hello"...... to be understood :eek:

Also it is not our fault we are way better at the insults then the English for example:
    'Go ndéana an diabhal dréimire de chnámh do dhroma ag piocadh úll i ngairdín Ifrinn!'

May the devil make a ladder of your backbone while picking apples in the garden of Hell!'

So in summary:

I think the UK should keep picking those apples in the hell they have created for themselves, while that Thresea May wan is climbing up and down thier backbone, waving to her majesty.

;)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

timthumbni wrote: »
    I will be going nowhere chum. Do you find it embarrassing that the republic had to borrow billions of the uk to keep your lights on a few years back too..? Or is that different??

You won’t need to go anywhere. You’re more than welcome to stay here in a new shared future. We care about you guys far more than the rest of the (UK) ever did or could. Your life will be more prosperous and your views respected and enhanced, sure you’re here and at home already.

As for the loan from the UK, that was a business transaction which they’ve made a lot of money from and will continue to do so. It was no act of charity, but an act of capitalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You won’t need to go anywhere. You’re more than welcome to stay here in a new shared future. We care about you guys far more than the rest of the (UK) ever did or could. Your life will be more prosperous and your views respected and enhanced, sure you’re here and at home already.

As for the loan from the UK, that was a business transaction which they’ve made a lot of money from and will continue to do so. It was no act of charity, but an act of capitalism.

Shared future ? So you’ll have no problem with Orange marches and massive bonfires celebrating Britishness?

Who is this “we”?

I will be going nowhere chum. Do you find it embarrassing that the republic had to borrow billions of the uk to keep your lights on a few years back too..? Or is that different??

Why? Don't the laws of migration for economic reasons not apply to unionists then?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,060 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, it is different. The Republic's debt, at 106% of GDP, is high, but it's not an order of magnitude higher than the UK's debt, at 84% of GDP. And it's fundamentally different from the fiscal transfers to NI; the Republic's debt bears interest, and can be and is being repaid, whereas NI gets transfers of amounts on which it could not possibly pay interest, and which it never intends to repay and which, if they were treated as debt, would certainly vastly exceed 106% of NI's GDP. To be blunt, NI is in a condition of financial and economic dependence that has no parallel in the Republic's situation.

Which is fine, since (a few loopers aside) NI has no prentensions to independence or financial autonomy. But for someone in NI to sneer at the Republics financial situation does require a striking lack of self-awareness.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

As someone that has lived along the border for most of my years, I couldn’t give a damn about what they think over on that other island. What matters is that WE get the best possible outcome for ourselves.

They clearly don’t give a damn about us and it showed in their vote two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

seachto7 wrote: »
    Shared future ? So you’ll have no problem with Orange marches and massive bonfires celebrating Britishness?

Who is this “we”?

Sure why not. Let them celebrate their minority ethnicity. It'll be like reverse St.Patrick's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

somefeen wrote:
    Sure why not. Let them celebrate their minority ethnicity. It'll be like reverse St.Patrick's day.

'reverse paddies day', where there's little or no alcohol drank, and people are respectful to one another, particularly in the evening and nighttime in our town centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    'reverse paddies day', where there's little or no alcohol drank, and people are respectful to one another, particularly in the evening and nighttime in our town centres?

Jesus when you put it like that it sounds like **** craic altogether.

NO TO IRISH UNITY!!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Here speaks one, I think, who has never been in Northern Ireland on the Twelfth! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

somefeen wrote: »
    It'll be like reverse St.Patrick's day.

Sell giant spinning orange bowler hats, comedy sashes, union jacks in green white and orange or Rainbow Pride colours, orange beer - really leprechaun the sh*t out of it. We'll have a parade in O'Connell St. of all the oompa-loompas who are so Orange you can see them from the space station.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ireland is a cuck nation afraid to run its own affairs.

I don't wish to sound rude, but you massively overestimate your importance in affairs such as these.

Yes, it's hard to describe just how insignificant we are in the Euro machine.

Now that we've lost the only crowd who share any sort of customs, culture, history with us I deeply fear for the future.

We're going to get rolled on. First up is Corporation Tax.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Now that we've lost the only crowd who share any sort of customs, culture, history with us I deeply fear for the future.
    Our national language is Irish and EU documents have to be translated into it.

So when the UK leaves, English will remain an EU language thanks to .... Malta :pac:

The UK acts out of self interest, not in a way chummy to its neighbour. Work off the premise that every action is a selfish action. Ireland acts solely in her own interests, every other country does the same. That two interests might dovetail in some way is either down to chance or a tit-for-tat barter.

The UK couldn’t give a flying fcuk about us yet we yearn to be loved by them.

We are the battered and abused wife always looking to give the abusing husband one more chance, maybe he’s changed, maybe he won’t abuse me again, he really does love me, doesn’t he?

Who is this “we”?

Any right minded person would agree that sectarianism should have no part in any shared future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Who is this “we”?

Any right minded person would agree that sectarianism should have no part in any shared future.
    I love the 12th July though with friends and family celebrating James taking a hiding by William in the field of battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

A very good post. Irish people don't seem to understand the dangers that Brexit brings to the RoI. Much like you, I have a feeling that the EU is going to look the "integrate" the RoI into Europe more once Brexit becomes a reality. I'll be pleasantly shocked if the issue of taxation isn't brought to the table very quickly. The reaction from people here is going to be very interesting.
    The UK acts out of self interest, not in a way chummy to its neighbour. The UK couldn’t give a flying fcuk about us yet we yearn to be loved by them.

I take issue with that. We've taken in countless Irish people over the years when times were bad here. We could have easily told you to get stuffed. We were one of the first countries to offer you help during the last recession. Both countries benefit greatly from the strong bonds, cultural and economic, that exists between the two countries. I think/hope that the common travel area and the positive sentiment that exists between the countries remains after Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnKyle39

No. Give them 800 years and force them speak Irish and abandon Protestantism. Any objections will be met with a bullet to the head.

Berserker wrote: »
    A very good post. Irish people don't seem to understand the dangers that Brexit brings to the RoI. Much like you, I have a feeling that the EU is going to look the "integrate" the RoI into Europe more once Brexit becomes a reality. I'll be pleasantly shocked if the issue of taxation isn't brought to the table very quickly. The reaction from people here is going to be very interesting.

I take issue with that. We've taken in countless Irish people over the years when times were bad here. We could have easily told you to get stuffed. We were one of the first countries to offer you help during the last recession. Both countries benefit greatly from the strong bonds, cultural and economic, that exists between the two countries. I think/hope that the common travel area and the positive sentiment that exists between the countries remains after Brexit.

Take issue all you like. The UK has a responsibility for her citizens, not Irish citizens and vice versa.

Cheap Labour is a wonderful thing. Irish people have not historically been welcomed by the British. At the moment we’re lucky because we’re the right (white) kind of foreigner and your ire is pointed at the Muslims at the moment.

Both countries do benefit from our ties, which is exactly my point... and long may those bonds continue but on a more equal footing.

The CTA is going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You mean people have emigrated for work?

They weren't refugees - they were economic migrants. Less of the mother England pulling people in to her caring bosom nonsense. The UK needed a plentiful supply of cheap labour and paddy sufficed. But the welcome for Irish migrants will not have been anywhere near as universal in the UK as you might like to think.

Telling Irish migrants to 'get stuffed' as you put it would have required tearing up the CTA which has allowed for freedom of movement for nearly 100 years between the two nations.

I have to say, if your notion of "the dangers that Brexit brings to the RoI" causes you to think first of all of increased pressure for tax harmonisation, it's not Irish people who don't seem to understand the dangers; it's you. This is a danger but, frankly, it comes fairly far down the list. Much bigger and more certain dangers start with (a) a hard border in Ireland, (b) disruption to, and limitations of, Ireland/UK trade, and (c) depressed economic conditions in the UK resulting from a Brexit-linked economic contraction having knock-on effects in Ireland.

I note your hope that "the positive sentiment that exists between the countries remains after Brexit" and I share it. But it has to be said that the biggest danger to that is Brexit itself. We are quite seriously pissed off about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

A British friend of mine told me today he felt Ireland was bullying the UK (I know!)over Brexit.

We can only do it with the help of our gallant allies of course now the UK is leaving and they despise them.

I do feel we may regret it down the road and that the Irish are somewhat awestruck with the sudden power they seem to have over the old foe, the tables turned etc.

It's a mirage - they'll fight on the beaches etc.

But aside from self interest maybe we should be supporting them? Sometimes I feel we are more British than Finchley.

They are our friends.

This had me PMSL. Are you being serious with that remark?

Advertisement