Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

tigger123 wrote: »
    Assuming you can find somewhere to rent.

and will the amount you pay in renting for a few more years not offset the loss in equity you might suffer if prices go down? And if so is the security of your own house not preferable to renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

RayCun wrote: »
    what a house is worth is what people will pay for it.
    There's no such thing as a 450k house that is 'really' a 400k house (or vice versa)

Is that not what I said? What you believe it's worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

beaz2018 wrote: »
    and will the amount you pay in renting for a few more years not offset the loss in equity you might suffer if prices go down? And if so is the security of your own house not preferable to renting?

it might or it might not, if you bought in 2008 for 5 years, you might might have paid rent of say 50-70k. Some people might have seen a equity decrease of circa 100-250k on a property so its a loss.. On the other hand if you bought in 2013 and you bought in 2018. You might be paying rent of lets say 70+k while if you bought in 2013 instead of rented, your equity would be up at least 100+k. No one has a glass ball so its impossible to say what will happen next. Its mainly luck of the draw if you get it at a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

matsy1 wrote: »
    Is that not what I said? What you believe it's worth?

what somebody will pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Fol20 wrote: »
    it might or it might not, if you bought in 2008 for 5 years, you might might have paid rent of say 50-70k. Some people might have seen a equity decrease of circa 100-250k on a property so its a loss.. On the other hand if you bought in 2013 and you bought in 2018. You might be paying rent of lets say 70+k while if you bought in 2013 instead of rented, your equity would be up at least 100+k. No one has a glass ball so its impossible to say what will happen next. Its mainly luck of the draw if you get it at a good time.

Using your 2008 example, if you're still living there you would have paid 100-140k off your mortgage & your asset would be worth about the same as when purchased. So you're better off to the tune of what your rent in that decade would have been (in my case over the last 10 years - c.150k in rent)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

RayCun wrote: »
    what somebody will pay for it

What somebody will be pay for it means they think it's worth that. Thats why it's important to figure out how much YOU think it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Moonjet

Over the long term, buying property (even at the peak) leaves people in a better financial position than renting. This has always been the way throughout history, not just in Ireland. And it's not going to change any time soon. Especially with rents in the capital at all time highs with no signs of slowing down.
    This is not even taking into consideration the sh1te standard of rental property in Ireland. Old furniture, dirty carpets, draughty windows, mould, etc is all common. + You could pay the mortgage on a 3-bed semi-D for the rental price of a glorified garden shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

Moonjet wrote: »
    Over the long term, buying property (even at the peak) leaves people in a better financial position than renting. This has always been the way throughout history, not just in Ireland. And it's not going to change any time soon. Especially with rents in the capital at all time highs with no signs of slowing down.
    This is not even taking into consideration the sh1te standard of rental property in Ireland. Old furniture, dirty carpets, draughty windows, mould, etc is all common. + You could pay the mortgage on a 3-bed semi-D for the rental price of a glorified garden shed.
    that's assuming you can get a mortgage in the first place...many can not.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

oceanman wrote: »
    that's assuming you can get a mortgage in the first place...many can not.

will the global recession happen in 2019? seems this will surely impact property prices in ireland ? and who knows the affect of brexit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

brexit won't happen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

mkdon wrote: »
    will the global recession happen in 2019? seems this will surely impact property prices in ireland ? and who knows the affect of brexit

It'll affect the ability to get a mortgage even further. So this apparent glut of property that is going to fall into the market will have no buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It'll affect the ability to get a mortgage even further. So this apparent glut of property that is going to fall into the market will have no buyers.

Untrue.

There are plenty of people out there cash rich, and they would love nothing more than the chance to snap up cheap property around Dublin, Galway, Cork etc in the next recession, whenever that may be.

The rich will get richer.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Untrue.

There are plenty of people out there cash rich, and they would love nothing more than the chance to snap up cheap property around Dublin, Galway, Cork etc in the next recession, whenever that may be.

The rich will get richer.

Don't know how many cash buyers are left but point taken. Wouldn't imagine that many ftb or people stuck in crap rental situations have cash to be dropping on houses though. Point being that a collapse akin to 2008 will not help Joe public. As you say, the rich would get richer.

Don't know how many cash buyers are left but point taken. Wouldn't imagine that many ftb or people stuck in crap rental situations have cash to be dropping on houses though. Point being that a collapse akin to 2008 will not help Joe public. As you say, the rich would get richer.

but a small correction will help Joe public

but a small correction will help Joe public

Yup probably. Though it's a delicate balance. Say house prices drop 5%. Does that damage the builders margin so much that he/she stops building? Would probably end in more government intervention. Though I'm yet to see concrete (excuse the pun) figures on how much it costs to build including land costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

We're not going to get a crash like the last one anytime soon - that was the worst in history. We don't have a credit bubble like we did then, which was the main reason while things went bust. There will be a correction at some point, maybe more akin to the dot com bubble than 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

OEP wrote: »
    We're not going to get a crash like the last one anytime soon - that was the worst in history. We don't have a credit bubble like we did then, which was the main reason while things went bust. There will be a correction at some point, maybe more akin to the dot com bubble than 2008.

Maybe a hard Brexit!

Using your 2008 example, if you're still living there you would have paid 100-140k off your mortgage & your asset would be worth about the same as when purchased. So you're better off to the tune of what your rent in that decade would have been (in my case over the last 10 years - c.150k in rent)

Well. What your not accounting for is maintenace of a property and upkeep costs which would be substantial. It also doesnt account for flexibility. How about as several experienced their home is no longer suitable for their family needs. Its hard to value these aspects but they also need to be takeb into account

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The decision to abolish the height restrictions for new developments in all Irish cities will surely have an impact on the property market in Ireland.

And about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Fol20 wrote: »
    Well. What your not accounting for is maintenace of a property and upkeep costs which would be substantial. It also doesnt account for flexibility. How about as several experienced their home is no longer suitable for their family needs. Its hard to value these aspects but they also need to be takeb into account

If you're spending 10-14k on house maintenance per year, you bought a spectacularly bad house.

Re freedom to move, you can always rent it out for more than the mortgage.

• Advertisement

If you're spending 10-14k on house maintenance per year, you bought a spectacularly bad house.

Agreed. First year of a second hand is normally a bit painful. After that it's just routine stuff. Boiler service, odd leaky slate etc.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The decision to abolish the height restrictions for new developments in all Irish cities will surely have an impact on the property market in Ireland.

And about time.
    this was just announced today? definitely a long time coming

but what is being built now that will have an impact in say next few months ?

this was just announced today? definitely a long time coming

but what is being built now that will have an impact in say next few months ?

Does it still leave it at the discretion of the councils though? All well and good abolishing restrictions but if DCC get all precious about the Georgian skyline it won't be worth the paper it's written on

Does it still leave it at the discretion of the councils though? All well and good abolishing restrictions but if DCC get all precious about the Georgian skyline it won't be worth the paper it's written on

down in ifsc there is already multilpebuilding over 7 stories high

what is the current restriction?

Yes over the long term its better to own if you only stay in one place.

I think your minimizing the other differences.some may want to buy another properry and depending on timing if they are in neg equity, it may bot be possible. Many dont want to be a ll. Theres is a lot more risks in being a ll and one bad tenant can takes years to pay back. Rent doesnt always cover rent. Right now and only for the past 2 years. It would cover it for the vast majority of ll but before then when rent was half yet you still had the same payments coupled with taxation. It did not cover it and you had to supplement your payment with your own job

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

I'm noticing a fair slowdown in Dublin over the last few months. We have been looking solidly in North Dublin for the last 2 years. Same areas (D7, D9), same price limit (around €650k).
    In the first half of the year, all houses around our price were getting up to €50k over asking and there were other bidders outbidding us on all of them.
    But the 2nd half of the year we are seeing most houses not getting asking price. We are the highest bidder on 4 houses. We are not offering asking price, but not far off. No one else involved in bidding, but the sellers are holding out still. (EAs probably telling them it will pick up after the summer)

It seems the banks have run out of exceptions to the central bank limits, and I believe that doesn't reset til January. Also, how many people can realistically afford €650k? Even if you had a deposit of 100k, you would need combined income of €157k (550k divided by 3.5).
    Yep, the way it's heading we can play them off against each other
    Well they are all genuine offers, if any of them would accept. I have no sympathy for gouging vendors. Cheered on by EAs, they are taking the p1ss with their asking prices.
    The vendors are being greedy, holding out for more for months and months. It will blow up in 3 of their faces, but that's not my problem.
    It's up to one of them to take the substantial and reasonable offer.
    There is no other interested parties. All 4 properties have been up for over 2 months. At some point they have to realise they are not getting any more.
    If we concentrated on one house only, and the bidding went out of our range, we could lose out on lots more properties in that time.
    It might take time, but I am convinced that one of them will accept an offer in the next month, once they realise the slowdown has kicked in.
    Update:my prediction came to fruition. Offer accepted on one of the properties within a few weeks of these posts. Offer was about 4% under asking price. We used the accepted offer and went back to another of the properties, and they then accepted the offer (15% under asking price) on their property. We mulled it over for a few days and went for the one that was first accepted.
    We are now contracts signed and exchanged.
    The other 3 properties are all still sitting on daft and will be for the foreseeable, and I have no sympathy for them.

Update:my prediction came to fruition. Offer accepted on one of the properties within a few weeks of these posts. Offer was about 4% under asking price. We used the accepted offer and went back to another of the properties, and they then accepted the offer (15% under asking price) on their property. We mulled it over for a few days and went for the one that was first accepted.
    We are now contracts signed and exchanged.
    The other 3 properties are all still sitting on daft and will be for the foreseeable, and I have no sympathy for them.

congrats

I am in same boat

no offers accepted but am only interested party and the vendors not accepting less than asking even though am close to asking

I hope it blows up in their faces

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

congrats

I am in same boat

no offers accepted but am only interested party and the vendors not accepting less than asking even though am close to asking

I hope it blows up in their faces

It’ll blow up in someone’s I suppose yours or there’s

Cyrus wrote: »
    It’ll blow up in someone’s I suppose yours or there’s

well it won't in mine if my offer is accepted as it's low balling the asking prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

tigger123 wrote: »
    smurgen wrote: »
    Global recession is coming. Irish workers have had their wages inflated due to the success of multinationals,this is in for a big correction in the next 12 months having began a few months ago. This will lead to a sharp drop in the property market prices in my opinion. The ECB and Fed have little or no tools to tackle this recession. The stock market leads the cycle,there’s absolute chaos coming down the tracks imo.

How do you square your prediction of a drop in house prices in the next 12 months with the fact supply will not need demand in Ireland for at least another three years.

And if there is a global turndown, it doesn't for one second mean that house prices will drop; there currently are not enough houses being built to meet demand. If there's a downturn, there will definitely not be enough housing stock built, which is only going to exasperate the situation.

"And if there is a global turndown, it doesn't for one second mean that house prices will drop" one of the most stupid sentences in the thread yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement