Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Options
1104105106107108110»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Interesting daft report this time around. Prices down 1 % in west Dublin. There is a lot of supply out there now so that's probably contributing. Also been some moderately serious crime out that direction so that's probably not helping.

Still, prices up 5 % yoy, starting from a much higher point than a year ago. While the % increase slowing is welcome, it's still a bit mental.

I think the q2 report next year will be very telling. If we get a bigger jump (say in the order of 8%) it will show that we do indeed have a two speed market, with the first quarter exemptions driving price growth in the early parts of the year, with a fall off later in the year. Realtors won't be happy with that and the central bank may have to tweak the rules slightly.

I definitely don't think the lending limits should be increased however. They seem to be the only thing standing between us and utter disaster. That in itself is pretty terrifying.

This year also is the last year of the current htb scheme. I would imagine it'll be extended for political optics, but I strongly disagree with it. Government essentially transferring tax to developers which I think is a fundamentally bad idea.

Something will also need to be done on the cost of building. The average cost of building apparently does not allow the developers to make a sufficient profit. I would like to see a proper in depth report into the total cost of building, and what the constructin industry consider a fair profit.

That got a bit rambly sorry. Tl, dr: things bit better maybe but still lots of underlying issues to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I definitely don't think the lending limits should be increased however. They seem to be the only thing standing between us and utter disaster. That in itself is pretty terrifying.

I sincerely hope that as a nation we have learnt a lesson here and more people now understand that the solution to people not being able to afford a home is usually not to allow them to contract more debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Why is West Dublin lagging? The transport options are not the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Bob24 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that as a nation we have learnt a lesson here and more people now understand that the solution to people not being able to afford a home is usually not to allow them to contract more debt.

Wouldn't put a lot of money on that. Every second post on here is lads looking for exemptions. If the limits were increased to 5 x we'd see prices explode again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

myshirt wrote: »
    Why is West Dublin lagging? The transport options are not the worst.

It's a sprawling part of Dublin, there's good transport links if you're near one. I.e. Old bawn is fairly isolated transport wise.
    Plus West Dublins not the most desirable place to live. And you have to keep checking if your local Lidl is still standing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

I was talking to someone today who said that the number of properties for sale has risen.

And that he thinks that the reason is that there has been a huge shift in the last few months of landlords getting out and realizing that things will never get better and they have finally decided to just sell up.

Could these two things actually be related I wonder?

If its true I guess it might have an effect on sale prices. Pretty sure it will have an effect on rentals anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

There is a global financial crisis which is about to start, things are related.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057813410&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

markets bounced back they are saying recession unlikely in

maybe 2020 though

quote="soirish;109003288"]There is a global financial crisis which is about to start, things are related.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057813410&page=3

.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

It's a sprawling part of Dublin, there's good transport links if you're near one. I.e. Old bawn is fairly isolated transport wise.
    Plus West Dublins not the most desirable place to live. And you have to keep checking if your local Lidl is still standing.

At least there is a local Lidl, but I hear you.

Look at places like Ballyboughal and Naul. I would worry more about overdevelopment out that direction than I would in West Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

castle2012 wrote: »
    With supply still very tight. A homeless problem. Rising employment. It sure looks like where set for more large rises. There's not much to suggest otherwise. Any thoughts?

Just looking back at the first post on the expectations for the 2018 property market. I wish I could say there was much progress in the year, but I reckon this pretty much sums up my outlook for 2019.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Dublindamo

I was talking to someone today who said that the number of properties for sale has risen.

And that he thinks that the reason is that there has been a huge shift in the last few months of landlords getting out and realizing that things will never get better and they have finally decided to just sell up.

Could these two things actually be related I wonder?

If its true I guess it might have an effect on sale prices. Pretty sure it will have an effect on rentals anyway.

This is due to stock not shifting. So as properties stay on the market new stock comes on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Good morning all-

As is now traditional- we are closing off the 2018 Property Market discussion thread.

The 2019 discussion thread can be found here.

Looking forward to reading your musings on the property market- and in seeing what comes to pass.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement