Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I appreciate the lengthy response but I'm failing to see how any of it answers my question.

Everything that I previously wrote are facts, and I could include other facts as well about how crazy the property market is at the moment and how builders are getting rich now.

Nobody knows when we are gonna hit the iceberg, we will know only after impact. What we clearly know is that quality is bad, prices high, folks on avg wage are looking at 2h+ commute a day. And, most importantly we are at the end of this economic cycle.

This is not a direct answer to your question as there isn't a straight answer to it.
    These are only facts.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Sorry that post was utter nonsense

No worries, I'd probably say the same if I was living in Dalkey :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

How do you know we are at the height of the market?

Nobody does, but in terms of a correction it’s happened and it’ll be decimals at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

one thing for sure i think our cushy government are for the scrap heap, maybe even FF

the future could be loons that will push us down the same path as the UK

the next few weeks will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

20k to build a house

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

rosmoke wrote: »
    Everything that I previously wrote are facts, and I could include other facts as well about how crazy the property market is at the moment and how builders are getting rich now.

Nobody knows when we are gonna hit the iceberg, we will know only after impact. What we clearly know is that quality is bad, prices high, folks on avg wage are looking at 2h+ commute a day. And, most importantly we are at the end of this economic cycle.

This is not a direct answer to your question as there isn't a straight answer to it.
    These are only facts.

Sorry but this is absolute subjective tripe.

lawred2 wrote: »
    20k to build a house

lol

I know it's hard to believe when we are used with the prices from here.
    My cousin built a 6 bedroom house (excluding the 100mp2 attic) with 80k. But there isn't a term of comparison in terms of quality.
    Constructions are way more different there, solid thick concrete walls. Has underfloor heating and utility bill costs him 20e a month in winter, to keep the house at 23 Celsius degrees (winters there can go up to -20 degrees)
    No problems with noise either.
    He personally seen the house I live in, it costed 370k during the boom, 80k in 2012 and 200k now. His exactly words were "I can build this with 17k there".

Again, I know salaries differ, quality of life, etc. This example was written with the intent of highlighting that it is possible cheaper & better.

I know it's hard to believe when we are used with the prices from here.
    My cousin built a 6 bedroom house (excluding the 100mp2 attic) with 80k. But there isn't a term of comparison in terms of quality.
    Constructions are way more different there, solid thick concrete walls. Has underfloor heating and utility bill costs him 20e a month in winter, to keep the house at 23 Celsius degrees.
    No problems with noise either.
    He personally seen the house I live in, it costed 370k during the boom, 80k in 2012 and 200k now. His exactly words were "I can build this with 17k there".

Again, I know salaries differ, quality of life, etc. This example was written with the intent of highlighting that it is possible cheaper & better.

Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

utmbuilder wrote: »
    one thing for sure i think our cushy government are for the scrap heap, maybe even FF

the future could be loons that will push us down the same path as the UK

the next few weeks will tell

Aren't FG and FF polling at around 55% combined? The left won't be in power any time soon.

Where is this?

5km away from Bucharest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

5km away from Bucharest.

not bad but then again Romania has great freedom of planning , I've seen such a diverse selection of houses over there, its amazing to see, but then again theres a reason its so cheap

1) a lot of people in Romania make 200 euro a month
    2) The planning system makes it a lot easier to use new materials (porotherm terracotta bricks, a lot more wood used in construction)
    3) Land is a hell of a lot cheaper, an acre that close to the city would be easily got for under 25k , in Ireland 5km from Dublin and zoned residential it would probably be close to 700k
    4) Romania has a distinct advantage from indigenous forestry business that makes wood rather cheap and mainland Europe road access making shipping bulky / heavy items like bricks, wood, stone , sand a hell of a lot cheaper.
    5) taxation on a lot of essential components is a lot lower.

I remember walking around a large dedeman (like b&q) in hunedoara and being surprised at how cheap everything was, but also the selection , you literally had every single component to build an entire office block if you wanted (fire alarms and dry riser parts , suspended ceilings , concrete core drills etc...)

if shipping was somehow free and I could build to Romanian regulations , I could certainly build a 5 bed detached 3000sq ft house with a pool for under 300k even factoring in Irish labour rates and land prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭enricoh

A neighbour of mine built his house here more or less from materials he bought in Poland. Concrete, blocks and timber were Irish n that was about it. 3k for a 40' delivered. Had a crew of Polish lads doing the building.
    A mate of mine was in Bucharest recently and was telling me he had a top class software developer working for him for 2 weeks over there for the princely sum of e500! He was saying if our corporation tax ever changes the game is up here.

enricoh wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine built his house here more or less from materials he bought in Poland. Concrete, blocks and timber were Irish n that was about it. 3k for a 40' delivered. Had a crew of Polish lads doing the building.
    A mate of mine was in Bucharest recently and was telling me he had a top class software developer working for him for 2 weeks over there for the princely sum of e500! He was saying if our corporation tax ever changes the game is up here.

We have a number of software developers working for us out of Romania. They earn a good wedge more than a grand a month.

not bad but then again Romania has great freedom of planning , I've seen such a diverse selection of houses over there, its amazing to see, but then again theres a reason its so cheap

1) a lot of people in Romania make 200 euro a month
    2) The planning system makes it a lot easier to use new materials (porotherm terracotta bricks, a lot more wood used in construction)
    3) Land is a hell of a lot cheaper, an acre that close to the city would be easily got for under 25k , in Ireland 5km from Dublin and zoned residential it would probably be close to 700k
    4) Romania has a distinct advantage from indigenous forestry business that makes wood rather cheap and mainland Europe road access making shipping bulky / heavy items like bricks, wood, stone , sand a hell of a lot cheaper.
    5) taxation on a lot of essential components is a lot lower.

I remember walking around a large dedeman (like b&q) in hunedoara and being surprised at how cheap everything was, but also the selection , you literally had every single component to build an entire office block if you wanted (fire alarms and dry riser parts , suspended ceilings , concrete core drills etc...)

if shipping was somehow free and I could build to Romanian regulations , I could certainly build a 5 bed detached 3000sq ft house with a pool for under 300k even factoring in Irish labour rates and land prices.

Interesting post, have a few things I would add.

1. There is no middle class in Romania, you are either rich or really poor. I can honestly say I don't know anyone earning under 350e (and you would take that working for a restaurant).
    I was just speaking with a friend earlier, he is a graphic designer, normal take home pay is 1500-2000e for him and pays 250e rent for a brand new 1 bed apartment.
    Anyone I know with a good degree (engineering/science) makes over 1000e a month after taxes no problem.
    Car insurance around 60e a year. under 160e for yearly underground transport (comes between 1-2 minutes in peak hours and 5-10 minutes otherwise)

2. Planning system it's indeed a lot easier, and you are allowed to build modular homes. But they aren't still popular, because bricks and concrete it's still so cheap.

3. 100% true, 500m2 5km from Bucharest would be 10k. In Ireland it's almost impossible because of Local Needs (that was deemed illegal by EU and it is subject to change this autumn).

4. Romania it's lacking in terms of motorways and has sold most of it's forests. It is exporting a lot of wood, and sadly if you wanna buy a modular house for example, you would buy it from Austria and they have their wood from Romania (search George Buhnici house, one of the most energy efficient homes in EU).

5. Arguable, there is no VAT for food here, you pay taxes on your salary irrespective of how low your income is .. at least 42%. Haven't looked into how materials are taxed.

Dedeman is quite big indeed, and it's a good example. There is a huge range of products and materials, same with food .. you can find everything.

We have a number of software developers working for us out of Romania. They earn a good wedge more than a grand a month.

Fully agree.
    A few salaries (after tax), google translate might come handy:

http://www.salarii-it.ro/salarii

20k to build a house

lol

I know someone who 'built' a house in a rural area with portacabins, it cost less then 20k.
    And it's really big & nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Interesting post, have a few things I would add.

1. There is no middle class in Romania, you are either rich or really poor. I can honestly say I don't know anyone earning under 350e (and you would take that working for a restaurant).
    I was just speaking with a friend earlier, he is a graphic designer, normal take home pay is 1500-2000e for him and pays 250e rent for a brand new 1 bed apartment.
    Anyone I know with a good degree (engineering/science) makes over 1000e a month after taxes no problem.
    Car insurance around 60e a year. under 160e for yearly underground transport (comes between 1-2 minutes in peak hours and 5-10 minutes otherwise)

2. Planning system it's indeed a lot easier, and you are allowed to build modular homes. But they aren't still popular, because bricks and concrete it's still so cheap.

3. 100% true, 500m2 5km from Bucharest would be 10k. In Ireland it's almost impossible because of Local Needs (that was deemed illegal by EU and it is subject to change this autumn).

4. Romania it's lacking in terms of motorways and has sold most of it's forests. It is exporting a lot of wood, and sadly if you wanna buy a modular house for example, you would buy it from Austria and they have their wood from Romania (search George Buhnici house, one of the most energy efficient homes in EU).

5. Arguable, there is no VAT for food here, you pay taxes on your salary irrespective of how low your income is .. at least 42%. Haven't looked into how materials are taxed.

Dedeman is quite big indeed, and it's a good example. There is a huge range of products and materials, same with food .. you can find everything.

once you have mici and mustard you don't need any other food :pac: or meatball soup :pac:

I don't know .. I'd still need my spice bag from time to time :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

I'm noticing a fair slowdown in Dublin over the last few months. We have been looking solidly in North Dublin for the last 2 years. Same areas (D7, D9), same price limit (around €650k).
    In the first half of the year, all houses around our price were getting up to €50k over asking and there were other bidders outbidding us on all of them.
    But the 2nd half of the year we are seeing most houses not getting asking price. We are the highest bidder on 4 houses. We are not offering asking price, but not far off. No one else involved in bidding, but the sellers are holding out still. (EAs probably telling them it will pick up after the summer)

It seems the banks have run out of exceptions to the central bank limits, and I believe that doesn't reset til January. Also, how many people can realistically afford €650k? Even if you had a deposit of 100k, you would need combined income of €157k (550k divided by 3.5).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

We are the highest bidder on 4 houses. We are not offering asking price, but not far off. No one else involved in bidding, but the sellers are holding out still. (EAs probably telling them it will pick up after the summer)

you are the highest bidder on 4 houses??

• Advertisement

you are the highest bidder on 4 houses??
    Yep, the way it's heading we can play them off against each other

Yep, the way it's heading we can play them off against each other

each to their own but imo its a pretty sh!tty way to conduct yourself.

What, bidding on more than one property at once? Or playing them off against each other?

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

In a ruthless sellers market like this, I wouldn't shed too many tears, no one finds themselves stuck for buyers unless they are seriously deluded in their expectations.

What, bidding on more than one property at once?

yes, you are highest bidder on 4, you can only buy one, 3 sellers think they have a genuine offer that isnt genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I'm noticing a fair slowdown in Dublin over the last few months. We have been looking solidly in North Dublin for the last 2 years. Same areas (D7, D9), same price limit (around €650k).
    In the first half of the year, all houses around our price were getting up to €50k over asking and there were other bidders outbidding us on all of them.
    But the 2nd half of the year we are seeing most houses not getting asking price. We are the highest bidder on 4 houses. We are not offering asking price, but not far off. No one else involved in bidding, but the sellers are holding out still. (EAs probably telling them it will pick up after the summer)

It seems the banks have run out of exceptions to the central bank limits, and I believe that doesn't reset til January. Also, how many people can realistically afford €650k? Even if you had a deposit of 100k, you would need combined income of €157k (550k divided by 3.5).

How much have you spent on rent this past two years ?

yes, you are highest bidder on 4, you can only buy one, 3 sellers think they have a genuine offer that isnt genuine.
    Well they are all genuine offers, if any of them would accept. I have no sympathy for gouging vendors. Cheered on by EAs, they are taking the p1ss with their asking prices.

How much have you spent on rent this past two years ?
    Around 27k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

Boo hoo. They'll sell it to the next highest bidder.

• Advertisement

Well they are all genuine offers, if any of them would accept. I have no sympathy for gouging vendors. Cheered on by EAs, they are taking the p1ss with their asking prices.

but they arent, if they all accept simultaneously you will have to withdraw 3 of them.

And as for the rest of your post :rolleyes: either you can afford to buy something you need and you do or you cant, but leave the hyperbole out of it, does no one any good.

i hope when you come to sell your prospective buyers are genuine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement